Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Grey could always reduce the Garrison if he wants to make things a little more lively earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gort posted:

When do the Soviets activate? August 8th in reality, wasn't it?

August 9, 1945. At 11pm on August 8 they sent the "we declare war" and at 12:01 on August 9 the invasion started.

Not coincidentally 3 months after Germany's unconditional surrender was August 8.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Its annoying. A lot of planes and units are trapped on Japanese soil, waiting for an invasion that will never come.

Can you cheat it? If I remembver because some glitch you lost them.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

21 May 1945

USS Chub torpedoes the Japanese minesweeper W-34 in the Java Sea.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
In WWII submarine news, the USS Batfish sails again.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28167/midwest-flooding-re-floats-historic-wwii-submarine-for-the-first-time-in-decades

quote:

Aerial video from KOTV News on 6 shows the USS Batfish floating comfortably in at least 15 feet of water on Wednesday as the Arkansas spills over its banks and swamps the city of Muskogee. Normally, the 77-year-old Balao-class submarine serves as the centerpiece for Muskogee's War Memorial Park, standing bare on a bowl-shaped lawn as both an interactive museum and a point of pride for the region. But these floodwaters have it sailing again like it's 1943.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It possible to game-edit to give yourself more political points? That seems reasonable given it's an actual bug in the game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Hey, that's better.

Guys, I've come to expect better from you.

Most of my air kills come from me destroying a large number of float planes in the recon phase.

wedgekree posted:

It possible to game-edit to give yourself more political points? That seems reasonable given it's an actual bug in the game.

Not that I know of.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Presuming the airfield at Guadalcanal isn't leveled for a day or two it possible to repair it enough to evacuate?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Presuming the airfield at Guadalcanal isn't leveled for a day or two it possible to repair it enough to evacuate?

Nah, its visited daily, so its hovering at 75% damaged. plus my ships can't dock, so they can't get the planes off - I assume they just throw them off the side to get them off then raft them to shore.

In other news, FNG 3rd edition is out, so I'm gauging interest for another tour in Nam!

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

"Grey Hunter" posted:

In other news, FNG 3rd edition is out, so I'm gauging interest for another tour in Nam!

"Hot drat, Vietnam!" (words of a more than enthusiastic Marine Corps sergeant on the way to the Da Nang beaches in 1965.)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah, its visited daily, so its hovering at 75% damaged. plus my ships can't dock, so they can't get the planes off - I assume they just throw them off the side to get them off then raft them to shore.

I'm game as heck. Last time I got field promoted into command of my own squad, then died heroically charging an RPG guy before he could blast us to bits (turned out an RPG is a pretty good melee weapon).

EDIT: also my arrow-drawing game has improved massively since last time!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Please take me to 'Nam, GH.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Awesome! Looking forwards to seeing the new thread when it starts

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Things go very badly for one of our subs.

Sigh.

As the carriers return home, three bombers slip through the cracks, and one of them lands a hit.

Things continue as normal at Guam.

My god, something interesting happened!

Operation Silk Road is finally across the river and closing in on the first base!

The carriers are all fine, although they all need some time in dry dock to repair their wear and tear.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
...that bomb "hit" on Junyo seems to have been more like a miss by 50 meters that mildly shook up the ship.

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 27, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Magni posted:

...that bomb "hit" on Junyo seems to have been moe like a miss by 50 meters that mildly shook up the ship.

Indeed, I don't think a Japanese ship has ever taken a 1,000lb bomb so gracefully before

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I feel like a dud bomb hitting directly would have done more damage than what Junyo took. Maybe the historical inaccuracy in scouting reports also transfers to damage reports these days.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

I feel like a dud bomb hitting directly would have done more damage than what Junyo took. Maybe the historical inaccuracy in scouting reports also transfers to damage reports these days.
Rather than play down the damage, they played up the size of the bomb dropped on them. Next thing you know ships will claim to have survived nukes.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Having read the FNG thread from afar (as I was a reserve throughout) drat right I'd be interested in another go at it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've not killed a landing craft in a while.

A strike at Tarawa goes poorly.

Normal.

I'm annoyed I lost the SS, but this ship took a hit from a ventura.. literally the first time I've seen one of those things hit anything!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'll let you blame the weather for this poor performance. This time.

We drive off a sub.

The allies hit 50,000 points! Only 34,382 behind me!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

25 May 1945

Night raids off Okinawa total the fast transports Barry, Roper, and Bates (which later capsized), minesweeper Spectacle, and destroyer-minesweeper Butler.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We set another tanker on fire.

The fighters at Guam continue their work.

The carriers are nearly home, then they can get a bit of portside work for a week or two while they replenish losses.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
How goes building fortifications along the Mangchuko/Mongolia border? Hoefully you'll have some level ten fortificadtions by the time the Soviets invade.

And is it worth it for the IJN given you're using the carriers heavily offensively and so rebuilding thier airgruops a lot to just put the most experienced/surviving pilots to training duties rather than keep them in the field so your base pilot skill goes up? If you're going to keep rotating the carriers in and out at a high tempo would that be worth it or not?

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 28, 2019

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

27 May 1945

USS Forrest, another destroyer-minesweeper, is irreparably damaged by suicide aircraft off Okinawa.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This guy must be from the carrier.

Just another day at Guam.

The carriers are home and drinking deep from my supply pools.

One of our subs succumbs to wounds.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Superforts claim a kill.

What a dull, dull day.

Thankfully, most work on the carriers can be carried out at Rabaul.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wow. ~15 IJN Carriers in 1945.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Japanese fighter aircraft shooting down half a dozen superfortresses in a single day, up to 15 operational Japanese carriers, China reduced to an immortal city.

What a game.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

28 May 1945

USS Drexler, a picket destroyer, sinks with heavy loss of life after the impact of a P1Y1 Frances rolls her over on her beam ends.

29 May 1945

Another picket, USS Shubrick, takes irreparable kamikaze damage.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Mans posted:

Japanese fighter aircraft shooting down half a dozen superfortresses in a single day, up to 15 operational Japanese carriers, China reduced to an immortal city.

What a game.

I'm not sure if a lot of those count as 'carriers' but yeah, wow. The KB is fully in strength as a force, has at least two strike groups that can be deployed, and Japan has a functioning economy and a defensive perimeter.

Also 1945 and an invasion of India is commencing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another good WW2 twitter thread from Patrick who went to Guadalcanal over the Memorial Day weekend.

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1134173179801325568

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

V for Vegas posted:

Another good WW2 twitter thread from Patrick who went to Guadalcanal over the Memorial Day weekend.

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1134173179801325568

This is a pro click.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bye!

Dammit! That was an unlucky hit!

Evens is acceptable.

My carriers have taken more hits this month than in the last year.

This could be worse.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Out of nowhere a task force tries to sail into Rabaul.

Their air support does nothing. As usual.

Just another day at Guam.

Another suicide run by the AI.

Not a bad day all told!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I like 'a random Allied TF goes into Rabaul Harbor'. First straight up Destroyer vs Destroyer engagement had in a bit. At least the CVE is in port.. Under repair..

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

Why did the japanese put depth charge racks on their CVEs ?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ikonoklast posted:

gently caress it, why not.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

Volmarias posted:

gently caress it, why not.

Because a 14 knot large expensive unmaneuverable CVE is useless DCing submarines. Thats why you use small cheap DEs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ikonoklast posted:

The Japanese Army doesn't know how to make carriers