Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1132648339416256513

Such trash.

e:
goodboys at the game.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:ninja:

https://twitter.com/BayAreaData/status/1132538004428353536

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's insane that you don't automatically gain citizenship from serving. "hey thanks don't let the door hit ya on the way out." why are they allowed to take non citizens otherwise?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

why are they allowed to take non citizens otherwise?

South Park explained why years ago.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's insane that you don't automatically gain citizenship from serving. "hey thanks don't let the door hit ya on the way out." why are they allowed to take non citizens otherwise?

Between all the forever wars the volunteer military was coming up short on bodies. Bush's compassionate conservatism looked within and found that the right thing to do was a two pronged approach of allowing the lowering of the bar for recruits when it came to mental health and allowing non-citizens to serve with an ill-defined scout's-honor promise of citizenship at the end of their service.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crabtree posted:

You think Saturday Night Live is gonna take back its jokes? No, the old white fucks and boomers that harped about how that colored boy was not right in the head have forgotten who Smollett is right now conveniently, including my folks. Midwestern and southern whites deserve a goddamn ICBM.
Speaking of this, I was recently at an all-staff required sexual harassment seminar and even the presenter in the middle of the power-point mentioned "You know, sometimes there can be false accusations, too. Look at that actor who was on Empire who said he got attacked and now it's looking like you know, he made it up."

Needless to say, I was pissed, but it wasn't my place to complain in front of my entire office (to a woman to was giving this presentation over-the-phone to a bunch of other offices).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1132673668776157184

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of this, I was recently at an all-staff required sexual harassment seminar and even the presenter in the middle of the power-point mentioned "You know, sometimes there can be false accusations, too. Look at that actor who was on Empire who said he got attacked and now it's looking like you know, he made it up."

Needless to say, I was pissed, but it wasn't my place to complain in front of my entire office (to a woman to was giving this presentation over-the-phone to a bunch of other offices).

After months of convincing I've finally managed to, at least, get my close family members to admit that Smollett was hosed over by the CPD. Even so, they no longer want to talk about it, the way they used to want to when they were sure he was faking it.

And it seems like plenty of other people just heard "black man is faking it!" and instantly crystallized that belief in their minds. Smollett's assault hits really close to home for me and it has been one of the most frustrating "debates" I've ever had to deal with.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

drat, getting to murder foreigners with impunity just does not have the same benefits anymore huh.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Trumps nicknames are the only good thing he does. Little Marco, sad Jeb, sleepy/creepy joe, they’re hilarious

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Terror Sweat posted:

Trumps nicknames are the only good thing he does. Little Marco, sad Jeb, sleepy/creepy joe, they’re hilarious

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=19

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah and the ones that are racist are real knee-slappers!!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Only because they make him sound like a childish moron.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jon Voight was good in Holes.

Obviously, that's how we got Angelina Jolie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

voight's brain is full of holes.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

drat, getting to murder foreigners with impunity just does not have the same benefits anymore huh.

Imagine watching Starship Troopers and thinking that the portrayed society is just not quite faschy enough for your tastes.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 26, 2019

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
What was revealed about the Smollett case? I'm trying to look it up but all the news is about trump complaining about it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Petr posted:

What was revealed about the Smollett case? I'm trying to look it up but all the news is about trump complaining about it.

The cops never had a case, and probably didn't even really investigate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aramis posted:

Imagine watching Starship Trooper and thinking that the portrayed society is just not quite faschy enough for your tastes.

Reading the pre-9/11 reviews of Starship Troopers owns, because the reviewers don't see any of the social commentary at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/07/movies/film-review-no-bugs-too-large-for-this-swat-team.html

quote:

''Starship Troopers'' is the film version of Robert A. Heinlein's rabidly militaristic novel about a human infantry battling giant insects from the planet Klendathu. Speaking of other planets, where exactly are the hordes of moviegoers who will exclaim: ''Great idea! Let's go see the one about the cute young co-ed army and the big bugs from space.''

No doubt they're here somewhere, since the director Paul Verhoeven does have a way with crazed, lurid spectacle, from ''Total Recall'' to ''Showgirls.'' But ''Starship Troopers'' looks like reason to wonder how the big-ticket exploitation film mutated into its present form. The movie for everyone is, in this case, only for everyone who likes raw meat for breakfast. Still, it certainly can pander, what with pretty actors, grisly critters, brains sucked out of skulls, buckets of green slime and a plot that is half beach blanket bingo, half Iwo Jima. Gung-ho patriotism is also big here, what with cries of ''The only good bug is a dead bug!'' and ''You kill everything that has more than two legs, you get me?''

Mr. Heinlein, whose ''Stranger in a Strange Land'' was supposedly such a favorite of the Manson family, does undoubtedly find the excitement in such material, and Mr. Verhoeven sees it too. The filmmaker who brought us a three-breasted hooker on Mars (in ''Total Recall'') knows a thing or two about interplanetary cheap thrills. Still showing traces of the inadvertent campiness of ''Showgirls,'' he revels in contrasts between the characters' squeaky-clean earnestness and the story's furious, gruesome action. It should be noted that the nail-spitting energy of Tri-Star's ''Starship Troopers'' may be the finishing stroke for ''Gattaca'' (a competing film from the same parent company, Sony Pictures), since the latter represents what is all but extinct: the science-fiction film made with intelligent restraint.
The film's main events are its wild bugfights, with hordes of extraordinarily dynamic special-effects creatures on the nonstop rampage. Shrieking, stampeding, breathing fire, these bizarre marauders are really something to see.

As written by Ed Neumeier, who also wrote Mr. Verhoeven's much tighter ''Robocop,'' ''Starship Troopers'' never gets over its 180-degree swivel from teen-age love story to murderous destruction. But coherence does not appear to be a major concern. This film simply piles on the bugs, lops off the limbs and provides a flaming catharsis that suits its ideology. By the end of the film, arachnid butt has been duly kicked and back-patting is in order. We won't have to worry about marauding bugs until, thanks to Hollywood, the next batch comes along.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

I think it was very likely the two brothers did the attack and tried to pin it on Smollett when the cops leaned on them or police themselves, because never trust a cop, especially a Chicago one.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

fool_of_sound posted:

Was it really his personal trainers or whatever? I still can't figure out what the gently caress actually happened

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Petr posted:

Was it really his personal trainers or whatever? I still can't figure out what the gently caress actually happened

Nobody knows, in part because it doesn't appear the cops gave a poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Did they ever actually investigate the crime as reported or did they immediately start trying to frame Smollett instead?

e: I assume it's the latter.

The investigating officers had something like 35 criminal allegations on their records so nah

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You never wavered on your belief in Justin case and looks more and more like you were right

Tbf my faith was less in Jussie (despite liking him a lot on Empire) and more in the fact you should never ever trust the CPD.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Petr posted:

I’m going to be honest that the wider public will probably never get the honest facts on that case because the Chicago PD will never incriminate themselves.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Trabisnikof posted:

Reading the pre-9/11 reviews of Starship Troopers owns, because the reviewers don't see any of the social commentary at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/07/movies/film-review-no-bugs-too-large-for-this-swat-team.html

Wow. Um...saying that Heinlein reveled in spectacle when Starship Troopers was 70% dumb military politics is, to make an understatement, missing the mark.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I also think CPD has figured out how to plug leaks so that stories like this don’t turn into the black site scandal that doesn’t seem to have affected the cities law enforcement policy. The country really doesn’t like Jussie and the CPD made sure to have the public on their side throughout by making the country hate him first.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Trabisnikof posted:

I wrote a review of Starship Troopers when it came out for my high school newspaper and I totally got it was satire. And I was 17 and writing for my lovely high school newspaper. Maybe the NYT should have ran my review.

edit: Like imagine being a professional movie reviewer and thinking the man who brought you Robocop and Total Recall is doing a straight war movie where he sincerely has a finale where Neil Patrick Harris touches a captured alien, touches it, declares "IT'S AFRAID!" and the soldiers cheer and think it's not satire.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 26, 2019

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Normal.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1132665227085000704?s=19

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

logger posted:

The article says the museum worker told them "No food, No drinks, No water-bottles" but if drinks were already not allowed why would they have to specify no water-bottles?

This is definitely them refusing to admit they were acting racist, their apology is entirely hollow someone should have been fired for that.

They don’t want people bringing in empty water bottles and filling them up in the bathroom/water fountain.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Reading Trump fawn over Kim, it makes me think he's going to try and trade election help for easing of sanctions or something. Russia too. I mean why not, at this point? Dang, you guys are making me nervous down there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KJU can probably get drat near anything he wants from Trump once the general election starts. Trump can never admit he's failed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

I wrote a review of Starship Troopers when it came out for my high school newspaper and I totally got it was satire. And I was 17 and writing for my lovely high school newspaper. Maybe the NYT should have ran my review.

i think the reason some people missed that it was a satire is verhoeven made the movie as if it was a product of that society.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sounds about right. Trump views the presidency, at least when he's there, the ultimate authority that everyone should worship and praise and never raise questions

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
This guy is just being an rear end in a top hat.
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1132722612080189440

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

donald trump thinks stealth planes are invisible what point is that guy trying to prove.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is this a ratio record? :monocle:

https://twitter.com/reidconnord/status/1132038902397702145

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think the reason some people missed that it was a satire is verhoeven made the movie as if it was a product of that society.

You're probably right, but still, how does someone not see the obvious!?

Maybe CNN has been a parody of a news channel this entire time and we just haven't picked up on it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

I think it was very likely the two brothers did the attack and tried to pin it on Smollett when the cops leaned on them or police themselves, because never trust a cop, especially a Chicago one.

I can't even feel certain that they were involved, now. From what we can pretty much all the important evidence in this case is the brothers' confession (obtained after 47 hours of interrogation from an infamously brutal PD), balaclava purchases before a record cold snap, surveillance footage of two distant, silhouetted men walking away, and incriminating texts that supposedly prove the hoax yet were mysteriously never leaked. Take out the likely bullshit confession/texts and it's all circumstantial.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

He pinned that. He's really proud of being a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Why don't Christians just kill each other. Confess, have someone murder you, then they confess, someone murders them.