Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
First time I've watched a g(g)man video in a while. I see he dropped one of the G's. Smart move. Smart move.

I'm judging him for playing with mouselook and a crosshair though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its supposed to be a followup to thy flesh consumed including in the difficulty department so yeah of course its bullshit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volte posted:

I wonder why Romero has never made any maps for Doom II.

He has:
  • MAP11: Circle of Death
  • MAP15: Industrial Zone
  • MAP17: Tenements
  • MAP20: Gotcha!
  • MAP26: The Abandoned Mines
  • MAP29: The Living End

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

First time I've watched a g(g)man video in a while. I see he dropped one of the G's. Smart move. Smart move.
Two Gs. It used to be a triple.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait, sigil isn't even in doom 2?

lmao

i was going to come here and post that sigil better be amazing if it wants to match up to the first episode and couple levels of episode 2 i've played of eviternity but i think i already have my answer

Oh poo poo, lol, I didn't know that. Limiting yourself to Doom 1 assets because some nebulous/nostalgic reason like 'it's like it was an extra episode for Doom 1, done as if it was the 90s' is just silly. It's 25 years later, at this point I don't care about being 'faithful' to Doom 1.
On the other hand I don't have a problem on using elements like 'tight spaces', 'not a lot of ammo' and 'darkness' as a way to make it difficult. It seems Romero has tried to do a Doom episode leaning a bit on the concept of survival horror, with unexpected enemies, dark locations, claustrophobic passages, and little ammo, and not a 'Doom of going rambo' which is what most people supposed.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 26, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I'll be hard going without a SS. That gun was the perfect addition.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Two Gs. It used to be a triple.

Even better. :discourse:

Started playing Eviternity with Dead Marine and it's fantastic. Sooome of the areas are a smidge too dark though, this seems to be a running problem with Doom wads I've noticed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Started playing Eviternity with Dead Marine and it's fantastic. Sooome of the areas are a smidge too dark though, this seems to be a running problem with Doom wads I've noticed.

There are two levels where I changed the lightning sector in GZDooom options, because of that problem.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cat Mattress posted:

He has:
  • MAP11: Circle of Death
  • MAP15: Industrial Zone
  • MAP17: Tenements
  • MAP20: Gotcha!
  • MAP26: The Abandoned Mines
  • MAP29: The Living End
I meant since then. Every map he made post-Doom II was either for Ultimate Doom episode 4, or a custom episode 1 map.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well they uhh, stopped making idtech1 doom games after 2

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If my point wasn't clear, it's that Romero has now released 11 additional maps for Doom 1 (13 if you count the ones in Ep4) after Doom II came out, and zero for Doom II. I wonder why that is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volte posted:

If my point wasn't clear, it's that Romero has now released 11 additional maps for Doom 1 (13 if you count the ones in Ep4) after Doom II came out, and zero for Doom II. I wonder why that is.

It's kind of strange, looking at it like that. Nostalgia for the development of the first game?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Volte posted:

When he first made a new map to replace one in Episode 1, he said it was his first time touching Doom levels since he worked at iD. And that he chose to do the two episode 1 maps because of, he had not been main designer on their original version. And then he said he want to do a larger project than single level, but not a whole game. So he decided to make a 5th episode because he thought they should have 5 episodes in Doom 1 from the start.

Perhaps he will make Doom II works now that he have finished the episode? Or maybe he will do another Doom episode to bring up Doom to have 6 episode just like Wolf 3D and original Doom plans had. As is, it all makes sense he has not done a new Doom II level yet

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It could also simply be he’s more comfortable with the balance of monsters and weapons in terms of map making than Doom 2 and feels he puts out better work for Doom 1

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

gmanlives just posted a video on SIGIL and uh, well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-7MaR8PpI

gently caress that guy he still hasn't unpinned that comment from his Death if the Outsider vid

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Bummer about Sigil. The first trailer looked really fun.
I know someone asked a page or two ago about Doom on Android, but is there any way to get it working on iOS without jailbreaking? Or are there any games in early FPS style? The only thing I can find is Xibalba (which is still really fun).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

gently caress that guy he still hasn't unpinned that comment from his Death if the Outsider vid

"that comment? " Are you going to make me search the video?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I look forward to playing SIGIL and finding the giant caches of rocket ammo that gggman missed because he historically doesn't pay any attention to stuff below or above him in his videos

Turin Turambar posted:

"that comment? " Are you going to make me search the video?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Going to take a controversial opinion here and say that the guy who thought that Fallout 76 was good may not be a good barometer of quality or taste.

I'm a little past the halfway mark on Sigil and I quite like it. Challenging, but in more interesting ways than just hurling hordes at the player. I like how it defines a new visual "theme" using just the vanilla assets instead of retreading the old IWAD styles. I also like the whole mechanic about shooting the EvilEyes, it's simple but effective.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Dead Marine's a Smooth-Doom-like, right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

It's by the same modder.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

People gotta realize that Sigil wasn't supposed to be some kind of second-coming messiah super mega blaster ultra detailed map pack like Eviternity, Hurt, BTSX or whatever. It's supposed to have the same level of detail of the rest of Ultimate Doom.

Besides, people complaining about free stuff as always. For gently caress's sake.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Ye! Weapons feel punchier and there's some neat addons, like messages written in blood on the walls near, uh, dead marines :v:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58521 Check it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, gonna use it when I play Sigil then.

Meanwhile, I bumped down the Cultist aggression to low for E2 of Blood and that feels a lot better.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I have no idea what people expected from Sigil. If you've played the map replacements Romero made for Doom already, you'd know exactly what to expect. Perfectly competent maps, but he hasn't been soaking in the community for the past 20-odd years like the current modders are so of course he's not gonna just show up and rock out god's gift to doom. The maps are fine. Some neat little setpieces, not hard to look at, but it's definitely the work of someone who hasn't touched the game much in a very long time and is jumping back in. I think they're fun, but unless you're really hoping to enjoy some neat collectibles or you wanna enjoy a Buckethead soundtrack, just play the free version in a week. (The Buckethead music is pretty good btw and I'm looking forward to replaying it with the midi tracks to compare.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Negrostrike posted:

Besides, people complaining about free stuff as always. For gently caress's sake.

Sigil looks good to me, but something being free doesn't automatically make it criticism-proof. It weighs into it, sure, but..

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this thread, along with many other communities, have spent quite a lot of time weighing in on what they think of an absolute glut of free content that's been available for decades now, and i'm not going to stop now just because john romero is the person behind the helm of the latest installment. especially since half the time people get into lengthy discussions about what doom 1 or 2 maps they enjoy as it is, and last i checked john romero was sort of involved in that whole 'thing', supposedly.

the whole 'it's free so stop criticizing it' crock of poo poo has never held any water and isn't going to stop people from doing what they're going to do, which is talk about the aspects of crap they do or don't enjoy

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
GGGman has never had anything interesting or of substance to say in any of his videos and he has lovely surface-level opinions on just about everything. He's ten million "does this work with brutal doom?" comments distilled into a youtuber.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

this thread, along with many other communities, have spent quite a lot of time weighing in on what they think of an absolute glut of free content that's been available for decades now, and i'm not going to stop now just because john romero is the person behind the helm of the latest installment. especially since half the time people get into lengthy discussions about what doom 1 or 2 maps they enjoy as it is, and last i checked john romero was sort of involved in that whole 'thing', supposedly.

the whole 'it's free so stop criticizing it' crock of poo poo has never held any water and isn't going to stop people from doing what they're going to do, which is talk about the aspects of crap they do or don't enjoy

I never said anything about "criticizing ". I'm talking about "complaining". More specifically, bitching and whining about something that was clearly shown before it got released. We're talking about lovely youtubers anyway so it's best to just disregard.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

People gotta realize that Sigil wasn't supposed to be some kind of second-coming messiah super mega blaster ultra detailed map pack like Eviternity, Hurt, BTSX or whatever. It's supposed to have the same level of detail of the rest of Ultimate Doom.

My posts are free and that never stops anyone from complaining about them!!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a new Hell-themed single-level Doom WAD that is making the rounds. It's pretty impressive graphically and with grandiose architecture. It's called Hurt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCLfjuvs1o

The aesthetics of this map are extremely good

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

treat posted:

He's ten million "does this work with brutal doom?" comments distilled into a youtuber.

:drat: that's loving spot on.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Heavy Metal posted:

World Tour is cool, the new episode rocks. And you can use the ol .grp file there in eduke32.

Google has failed me, I would like to know about this ITV goblins show.

Rodger and the Rotten Trolls. They make a kid King because they think he's the mythical Rodger Wozear who had clearly written his name on a rock years ago.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Let's clarify something, it's free because legally it has to be. That's why he used the limited edition with goodies as a workaround to win money :P

I watched some levels, and actually looks pretty decent given the self imposed constraints of designing as a unofficial E5 for Doom 1, including tech, art, enemies, etc.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
God drat, it's just more classic Doom for people who like classic Doom made by a guy who made the best levels for classic Doom. Why this gotta be so complicated?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
it's a good episode of classic doom v(o_o)v

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've been replaying Doom 2 properly for the first time since I was a kid, with Gzdoom and Beautiful Doom and it was great fun, and am now looking to move on a bit. I did look at the OP in this thread and their linked of recommended mods is a little bit daunting.

So going through the last few pages, I did pick up Final Doomer and Heretical Doom, but haven't really touched them yet, look like fun gameplay mods. Any other gameplay mods to recommend? I also like smooth animations, big sounds, and satisfying gun feel. I did try Brutal Doom a while back and while at first I was into it, I felt like the actual gameplay changes were a bit harsh...

Also any suggestions for maps, like a campaign ala a Doom episode? If possible, nothing too crazy hard please - some of the map packs I was casually browsing through seemed to be designed for people who have been playing for 20+ years. And not too many ambushes please, I absolutely hated the Doom 2 level Monster Closet because it felt like that's all it was, in various forms, over and over again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I had no idea it was Mass Effect levels of ambitious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDtipqEnZA

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

So I've been replaying Doom 2 properly for the first time since I was a kid, with Gzdoom and Beautiful Doom and it was great fun, and am now looking to move on a bit. I did look at the OP in this thread and their linked of recommended mods is a little bit daunting.

So going through the last few pages, I did pick up Final Doomer and Heretical Doom, but haven't really touched them yet, look like fun gameplay mods. Any other gameplay mods to recommend? I also like smooth animations, big sounds, and satisfying gun feel. I did try Brutal Doom a while back and while at first I was into it, I felt like the actual gameplay changes were a bit harsh...

Also any suggestions for maps, like a campaign ala a Doom episode? If possible, nothing too crazy hard please - some of the map packs I was casually browsing through seemed to be designed for people who have been playing for 20+ years. And not too many ambushes please, I absolutely hated the Doom 2 level Monster Closet because it felt like that's all it was, in various forms, over and over again.

Final Doomer and Heretical Doom are good, solid starting points for gameplay mods. DRLA and Guncuster are popular, although I don't have experience with them. Some extra mods to enhance the game are
Doom HQ music https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24423
Doom HQ Sfx https://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml
Droplets https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46509

For enemy variety, you have
Shades of Doom https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=57310 - it gives random skins to the enemies, but they fight the same
Super Shuffle https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=56220 - real enemy variety (enemy randomizer)

For levels, this year people are recommending Eviternity, Hurt and The Slaughter Spectrum. From past years, you can look at the cacowards of 2018 and 2017. From past years, personally I loved Deus Vult II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd play Sigil over Hurt any old day. Sick of slaughtermap crap, no matter how pretty it is.