Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Did somebody say 19th century MREs?
https://youtu.be/jZoHuMwZwTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
French MREs are way better than American MREs for sure. The French DFAC was insane, fresh baguettes, different meats and cheeses and sometimes even shellfish on ice. Wine with Sunday lunch was solid but they only had fresh desserts for lunch and meh cups of flan or nothing for dinner. The entrees were almost always very good and they had pretty good variety and choices and this was just in the enlisted-O3 section. The higher up officer section I got invited into a few times was even better.

Box lunch was hit or miss depending on the base. The box lunch at Al Udeid was good as far as box lunch goes but the ones at Manas were so bad they once made the guy doing the food drop offs go back and get us hot food because the box lunch was like one slice of ham between two pieces of bread, a piece of bruised up fruit and one (1) can of soda with a single mayo packet.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Every now and again I go looking for a legit Korean MRE. Not one of the bibimbap camping meals you see on eBay, but a real legit Korean MRE.

Never have found one.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cenen posted:

French MREs are way better than American MREs for sure. The French DFAC was insane, fresh baguettes, different meats and cheeses and sometimes even shellfish on ice. Wine with Sunday lunch was solid but they only had fresh desserts for lunch and meh cups of flan or nothing for dinner. The entrees were almost always very good and they had pretty good variety and choices and this was just in the enlisted-O3 section. The higher up officer section I got invited into a few times was even better.

Box lunch was hit or miss depending on the base. The box lunch at Al Udeid was good as far as box lunch goes but the ones at Manas were so bad they once made the guy doing the food drop offs go back and get us hot food because the box lunch was like one slice of ham between two pieces of bread, a piece of bruised up fruit and one (1) can of soda with a single mayo packet.

French and Italian MRE's include a shot of cordials liquor. Imagine if American MRE's had mini bottles of bourbon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1132008836938645505

I can't even say what I think about this because all I can think of is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUYE1XNO5E

Just... there's a nigh-infinite amount of onion layers of stupidity involved in this story.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 26, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I really honestly enjoyed every CAF IMP I had. Maybe if I were subsisting off them long term, my feelings would be different, but also I came into the military from poverty so getting cold pesto chicken with stewed peaches and a chocolate bar, or even beans and franks with a side of apple sauce and powdered coffee, holy poo poo that was a big step up from what I was eating before.

Boxed lunches are crap, though. Ham sandwiches so heavily preserved they double as a radiation shield with a shotglass of apple juice and a tsp of mayo in a packet on the side? Yay, sure am glad they remembered to feed me, at least.

Oh lordie boxlunch sucked so bad. The box was more edible than the sandwich.

I never had a real problem with IMPs except for the omelette in salsa. AKA, the Bloody Lung.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BigDave posted:

French and Italian MRE's include a shot of cordials liquor. Imagine if American MRE's had mini bottles of bourbon.

Think about how much MREs get ratfucked already.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Oh man I hate to spoil MRE chat but I remembered a good one. Just the entirety of how lovely medical equipment is in the military and how I’m surprised Al Udeid only had one AIDS scare.

No one in the hospital liked central sterile they had to have been some of the biggest mouth breathers in the entire hospital because they constantly sent back filthy equipment. They also had lovely pick up and drop off hours that got even tighter over time. I once walked into the drop off room and one of them was just straight up sleeping on the cleaning bench and when I asked if I could get some help they looked up at me and then went back to sleep. I’ve tried to give them equipment with the drop off sheet before in the drop off section and they had to ask a supervisor if this was part of their job. One tried to bare hand me a piece of equipment so I could walk it exposed across the hospital instead of putting it in a bag like they always do and like this person had done it literally the day before. When I mentioned this they said they don’t bag equipment but they would this time because I was complaining. One time they broke two different $20k pieces of equipment back to back. They once tried to claim they didn’t have the resources to clean one piece of equipment despite the steps being fill small bucket with special soap and water and dunk piece of equipment. More than once we were checking equipment and when we ran water through it giant bloody loogies would shoot out because they didn’t clean the insides. Sometimes they would give back equipment with just visible filth still clearly on it.

Just loving brain meltingly dumb just loving how.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 26, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Military medicine would be worth a thread all it’s own. I had a soldier who was riding a motorcycle and got hit by a car; got some broken bones for his trouble, but overall he was going to be alright (although all of his luck for the rest of his life was probably spent). When they put him in surgery to set his bones, they forgot to secure him to the table so he fell off mid getting his bones set. He probably would’ve been alright before, but that incident hosed up his already-fragile hip somehow and he couldn’t run ever again...so that was the beginning of his medboard. Go army med! :downsgun:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Icon Of Sin posted:

Military medicine would be worth a thread all it’s own.

Crossposting for my own stupidity:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I learned a new terrifying phrase this week.

"Navy eye surgeon".

Especially in conjunction with the phrase "I guess that will probably be okay". After plucking at the almost-properly-cut flap on your eye for, on a subjective time scale, approximately three hours.

That being said, LASIK is pretty sweet and my eyes are fine now, so I won that dice roll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If army docs at tripler hadn't misdiagnosed my labrum tear in my hip as cerebral ballsy I would have never been medboarded.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

cerebral ballsy

That’s username material right there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't know who came up with it but I loving love it and have used it since.

Things have been so much different since I got my hip repaired. Yeah, it aches sometimes still, but holy poo poo everything is better.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s username material right there.

I think that was Shim who said it

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cenen posted:

Acquintance of mine was with the french foreign legion until he got ditched for injury before deployment. Among a lot of other insane poo poo (such as his section leaders idolizing the Waffen SS and encouraging him to get a nazi tattoo, which he did :ughh: ) was the food. Sometime it would be worse than pig slop, others top tier French army poo poo.

They also still had Vinogel at that point (in the 90s sometime). Nicknamed "Tiger Blood," this was a concentrated red wine reduced to one-third volume, with the alcohol content titrated to preserve its alcohol level. It was gelled, like a hard packed jelly (about the consistency of a can of Sterno) and you were supposed to mix one part Vinogel with two parts water to get your wine.

They'd just eat it and get properly smashed, because idiots.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Syrian Lannister posted:

I think that was Shim who said it

Yeah that was me.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Oh man you guys want to to talk about hips?!

Alright so surgery hadn’t been calibrating their blood testing machine so they “lost their blood testing machine privileges” which actually means we now have to take time out of our day and use our equipment to do their job for them because we spent the 20 seconds calibrating ours each morning.

So anyway this old lady is in the OR for some sort of hip surgery when they somehow manage to slice her uterus open and she begins bleeding heavily which then requires us to be going in and out of there constantly to run blood for them on top of our normal duties. During this time though they gently caress up the hip part of the hip surgery and break her hip in such a way that hip fragment and bone marrow her into her uterine wound. There was a whole lot of yelling and people getting kicked off the case whenever we had to go in there. I think the lady ended up with a whole hysterectomy which I don’t think she was planning on.

The surgery obviously took a whole lot of extra time so by the end of the day I’m trying to play catch with my normal duties and some unimportant rando not even in my CoC starts bitching at me in one of the main hallways about how I hadn’t gotten some unimportant busy work task done yet but the anesthesiologist I had been helping all day saw this and started chewing out whoever it was about how I had been with him all day and if there was some sort of problem and they backed off real quick.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 26, 2019

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Cenen posted:

Oh man you guys want to to talk about hips?!

Alright so surgery hadn’t been calibrating their blood testing machine so they “lost their blood testing machine privileges” which actually means we now have to take time out of our day and use our equipment to do their job for them before we spent the 20 seconds calibrating ours each morning.

So anyway this old lady is in the OR for some sort of hip surgery when they somehow manage to slice her uterus open and she begins bleeding heavily which then requires us to be going in and out of there constantly to run blood for them on top of our normal duties. During this time though they gently caress up the hip part of the hip surgery and break her hip in such a way that hip fragment and bone marrow her into her uterine wound. There was a whole lot of yelling and people getting kicked off the case whenever we had to go in there. I think the lady ended up with a whole hysterectomy which I don’t think she was planning on.

The surgery obviously took a whole lot of extra time so by the end of the day I’m trying to play catch with my normal duties and some unimportant rando not even in my CoC starts bitching at me in one of the main hallways about how I hadn’t gotten some unimportant busy work task done yet but the anesthesiologist I had been helping all day saw this and started chewing out whoever it was about how I had been with him all day and if there was some sort of problem and they backed off real quick.

:stonk:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tias posted:

Acquintance of mine was with the french foreign legion until he got ditched for injury before deployment. Among a lot of other insane poo poo (such as his section leaders idolizing the Waffen SS and encouraging him to get a nazi tattoo, which he did :ughh: ) was the food. Sometime it would be worse than pig slop, others top tier French army poo poo.

The FFL has been loaded with Nazis since WWII and while a shitload of them died in Dien Bien Phu and Algeria, it's been a problem for quite some time

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The FFL has been loaded with Nazis since WWII and while a shitload of them died in Dien Bien Phu and Algeria, it's been a problem for quite some time

I was going to ask how it was still loaded with nazis, 60 years later. But then I remembered. :negative:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know who came up with it but I loving love it and have used it since.

Things have been so much different since I got my hip repaired. Yeah, it aches sometimes still, but holy poo poo everything is better.

I think I missed that update, glad they got it sorted.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Syrian Lannister posted:

Tuna with noodles was ok as was omelet with ham. Chicken and rice, bbq pork and rice, spaghetti w sauce, meatballs with sauce, and beef stew were all good too.

Ham slice was like eating brine soaked leather. Chicken ala king looked like cat vomit. Escalloped potatoes with ham had a very weird texture.

Never had the corned beef hash or chicken stew.

(Yes I looked up the menu that was available when I was in)

Best thing about the ham slice was you could fold it over, gently caress it, and have a field expedient pussy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was in long enough ago to remember Dehydrated Beef Patty :stonic: That was a weapon of absolute evil. Also worst hits Chili Con Carne from the LRPR. Jesus, that meal always hosed me up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Steezo posted:

Best thing about the ham slice was you could fold it over, gently caress it, and have a field expedient pussy.

ranger pussy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

Yeah it was a torn labrum in my hip all along. Got it fixed in august. It's been great.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

same here, i know you were feeling incredibly lovely

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Chicken and Rice MRE was the GOAT but came with horrible, horrible sides.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Sorry about my drunk post but ask me about the Hills Have Eyes when I am sober because that poo poo is a documentary.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 27, 2019

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Ham slice in the Blue package was alright super salty. I remember the freeze dried hamburger patty wasn't that in the dark brown plastic? When was the last ration that came with cigarettes? I still have MRE toilet paper rattling around in my vehicles.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MRE chat has me remembering the dude who gave himself 2nd degree burns over his genitals, lap, and stomach.

We were in MCT up in Pendleton in december. I and a few others had midwatch.

This genius decides to go into his pack and get his MRE heaters. He's sitting in his fighting hole, with his poncho liner wrapped around him. He then adds water to his heaters, all 4 of them he had at the time, and stuffs them under his liner and under his camo blouse.

What happens when you hold those things shut? Spraying boiling water all over the place? You don't say!

Dude got ambulanced down off the mountain and out of my life. I don't know what happened to him after that, we just got told (in the most condescending way) to not use MRE heaters as personal heaters or you might end up like the dude who lost a bunch of skin off his dick.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah it was a torn labrum in my hip all along. Got it fixed in august. It's been great.

It took me the second half of my enlistment and basically screwed me out of being promoted past Lance Corporal and the chance of ever doing anything meaningful in the military but I’m glad I managed to get my labrum repaired while I was still in. Even got to spend my convo leave TAD to San Diego so I got to double dip on per diem pay.

I’ve got a friend who got boarded out before getting her surgery and who has to go through the VA now for it and booooooy howdy that’s gonna be a fun one for her.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

stinkypete posted:

Ham slice in the Blue package was alright super salty. I remember the freeze dried hamburger patty wasn't that in the dark brown plastic? When was the last ration that came with cigarettes? I still have MRE toilet paper rattling around in my vehicles.

The last rations with cigarettes in them were C rats in 1973.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Since we are talking about food lets talk about Court Martial and the Korea War!

But before i tell you this stupid story i gotta tell you that I might be very biased towards this story.

So in September of 1952 C Company, under the OPCON of the 65th Infantry Regiment was defending Outpost Kelly. The TL;DR story is that the regiment got decimated (they did loose 350 men or about 10% of their men). Later in October of that year the regiment fought a desperate battle on Hill 391 but withdrew to avoid being overrun by numerically superior foe.

Right after their withdrawal from Hill 391, the 65th received a new CO. The new CO being first and foremost an american, second an officer, thirdly a west point graduate, and lastly lacking empathy and humanity for its fellow service member, decided that he needed to discipline this regiment.

So his extremely good ideas to reform the regiment where to:
A) Tell them to stop calling themselves the "Borinqueneers"
B) Cut their special rations of rice and beans
C) Told them to POLIIICE THEIR MUUUUUSTACHE shave their mustache until they prove their manhood.
D) Had one of the men wear a sign that said "I am a coward"

Later in the Chorwon Valley, Company L of the regiment was ordered to track down and kill chinese soldiers. They where moving in the night, got about 2 miles into no-mans land and encountered a river. Lt. John R. Wasson, a fresh west point graduate, decided that the best course of action was to cross the river alone, reconnoiter the other side and signal the enlisted to follow him.

About 91 soldiers decided to just walk away, because of that all of them got mass court martial and go sentenced to years if hard labor for refusing to fight. Their sentences where later commuted and the regiment problems blamed on the language barrier and NCOs/Officers inexperienced in dealing with Puerto Ricans.

OMG I JUST SAID THE SECRET WORD!!!

ITS "PUERTO RICAN"

So yes a bunch of my fellow Puerto Ricans where treated like complete poo poo, denied their rad mustache, denied their food staples and told they where cowards by, ugh, a west point graduates who just came to the Korea theater.

And before i leave I will leave you with this extremely cursed knowledge:
Lt. John R. Wasson died a year later in the war and got a bronze star
Col. Chester B. deGavre: Retired from service in 1963 and died in 1993 at the ripe old age of 85. His obituary mentions his WWII service and that he was assistant division commander for the 82sn division. His service in Korea is never mentioned.

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)#Mass_court_martial
https://www.mcall.com/all-korean0526-story.html
https://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/22/obituaries/chester-b-degavre-85-a-leader-in-world-war-ii-airborne-combat.html
https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=PersonAssociationExt&ID=118123

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

gently caress that dude

sorry your peoples got messed with

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress that dude

sorry your peoples got messed with

I just remember something, so bonus story from my dad who served in Vietnam.

A few years ago my dad innocently recalled and innocently told me how brave and valiant west point officers where in the Vietnam War. And and how they loved be the first one in line to lead their troops. And how they loved to lead their troops into obvious ambushes that the enlisted noticed but never told said officers.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It ain't fragging if the VC pulls the trigger. :greenangel:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wabo26vwO7Q

did this ever get posted here

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yo, question for medico type goons. Had a knee replacement in Feb. Everything went well, kicking rear end at PT, that's all great. What isn't, is that every since the surgery nothing tastes right. I've read that it's not an uncommon side effect, but it's typically temporary. This has been going on since then, and doesn't seem temporary. Anyone else dealt with this? Should I expect this to be my life now?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I got a heavy hit of analgesic in my jaw for dental work once and couldn't taste salt for four months.

Did y'all know that seawater actually tastes vaguely sweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Blame the sperm whales