Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

code:
let thing = async_operation()? no, await!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

code:

lmao

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

sounds like you want c#.

*pats u on the head*

yes, shaggar, but we're not talking about c#

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The_Franz posted:

code:

lol

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

dick traceroute posted:

i looks more like f#

:eng101: in f# await is just a regular monadic .Bind() function so you don't need a dedicated keyword

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i like a lot of things about rust, but the language design is driven by hopeless pedants who think that emergent inconvenience is an unpleasant but unavoidable aspect of life

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rjmccall posted:

i like a lot of things about rust, but the language design is driven by hopeless pedants who think that emergent inconvenience is an unpleasant but unavoidable aspect of life

don't sign your posts

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rjmccall posted:

i'm heavily invested in rust at this point and i dont see that changing soon but drat the design process is excruciating to watch. i have no perspective beyond reading random trip reports about c++ committees from slurps mad rips and others here, tho, so idk.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

at this point I'm waiting to see if it's going to be a kitchen sink or if it's still going to be designed.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

rjmccall posted:

emergent inconvenience is an unpleasant but unavoidable aspect of life

What does this mean?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i'm heavily invested in rust at this point and i dont see that changing soon but drat the design process is excruciating to watch. i have no perspective beyond reading random trip reports about c++ committees from slurps mad rips and others here, tho, so idk.

you can also watch the Swift Evolution process for comparison

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Athas posted:

What does this mean?

it's when sum of two incoveniences is big inconvenience, not medium inconvenience, i think

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

you can also watch the Swift Evolution process for comparison

nah i have a dom now and have replaced these torture sessions with a weekly dose of cbt

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

*pats u on the head*

yes, shaggar, but we're not talking about c#

yeah you're talking about a lovely language that doesn't do what you want because you're too loving stupid to pick good tools.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Its amazing to watch all these morons constantly punch themselves in the balls cause they're stuck in that 13 year old "MICRO$$$$$OFT!@!!!" mindset.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i skimmed a swift book and the syntax seemed pretty nice. it looked very familiar to me, coming from other algol/c style languages. it also generally looked like there's been some thought put into avoiding ideas that are too cute or clever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really hope server side swift catches on. it's a big pants adult professional language like C#/Java but it's better than C#/Java in basically every way. unlike rust it's actually usable and unlike go it's not stupid. it just doesn't really have the open source ecosystem web devs crave.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

it's better than C#... in basically every way

lol no

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i've never seriously used either, if it helps when contextualizing this quote

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

Its amazing to watch all these morons constantly punch themselves in the balls cause they're stuck in that 13 year old "MICRO$$$$$OFT!@!!!" mindset.

c# is a great language but i'd never use it for anything that needs to be portable or can't tolerate the clr's overhead

like i'd use it for a webapp if i had to host it on windows or a desktop app targeting windows but honestly that's about it until dotnet core matures

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Blinkz0rz posted:

until dotnet core matures

what's it like living back in 2016? i have some bad news for you regarding the election...

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

dotnet core owns bones

also jfc stop bikeshedding the await poo poo. .await is weird but fine. "await blah" was weird but fine. just. stop bringing it up. gently caress.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

does it still have a massive memory leak when running the asp.net mvc Hello World app where connections aren't released correctly?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

i really hope server side swift catches on. it's a big pants adult professional language like C#/Java but it's better than C#/Java in basically every way. unlike rust it's actually usable and unlike go it's not stupid. it just doesn't really have the open source ecosystem web devs crave.

i did a little bit with vapor and couldn’t decide if I liked it or hated it. it may have just been me hating orms, as we were attempting to use its orm

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
but I’m totally on board using swift on server. beats the poo poo out of javascript

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Blinkz0rz posted:

does it still have a massive memory leak when running the asp.net mvc Hello World app where connections aren't released correctly?

idk probably not.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

it did as recently as q4 2017 which granted was a while ago but given that it stuck around so long i'd much rather use spring boot and java 11

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Blinkz0rz posted:

until dotnet core matures

.net core is becoming the main .net with v5

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-5/

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

pokeyman posted:

but I’m totally on board using swift on server. beats the poo poo out of javascript

fainter praise was never heard

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

that's terrific

c# is a great language and asp.net is a really good framework it just sucked being tied to windows up until a little while ago

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
dotnet core is v solid what with oracle making GBS threads the bed on JDKs and Java. Too bad graal is _even_ better but they are going full EE licensing bullshit for it :(

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

iirc we moved to zulu and it's been just fine

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Malcolm XML posted:

dotnet core is v solid what with oracle making GBS threads the bed on JDKs and Java. Too bad graal is _even_ better but they are going full EE licensing bullshit for it :(

graal is insanely cool but i can't justify using it and it's complete magic to me so

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

that’s developing, and there are people from the WebObjects community (like Helge Hess) in addition to the IBM and Apple people helping shepherd it along

animist
Aug 28, 2018
are the nimrod people still doing things, i haven't checked up on that in a while

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i shipped a bunch of things in .net core rc1 three years ago and it was fine then, so its probably in a good place these days. i just have ptsd from iis/windows server and cant bring myself to look at c# these days.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i like and respect slava pestov and graydon hoare and swift seems ok but apple is an all time villain when it comes to actually fostering a community or giving back or cooperating with others so gently caress investing any time in swift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

as long as .net is tied to windows, a sane man will pound nails through his dick rather than use .net

.net core on Linux is cute but are there any enterprise users? the .net / windows connection is so old it has poisoned the ecosystem