Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I really like At the Gates, especially Slaughter of the Souls and thought I'd check out some other Melodic Death Metal bands similar to them (according to Spotify).

Are they all terrible?

Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy, Edge of Sanity - all not to my taste.

I like Amon Amarth, but is all Swedish/Swedish inspired death metal bad?

Please educate me while I listen to D-Beat and get really angry :)

[edit] SNIPE! Listen to Anti Cimex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

I really like At the Gates, especially Slaughter of the Souls and thought I'd check out some other Melodic Death Metal bands similar to them (according to Spotify).

Are they all terrible?

There's not much to educate you about, because yes, it's all bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Are they all terrible?

I'm curious what Edge of Sanity you listened to but yeah melodeath is a pretty trash subgenre in my opinion. Some people swear by Insomnium.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dead Goon posted:

Are they all terrible?

arghoslent

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The greatest death metal album of all time is Dismember’s Like an Everflowing Stream.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Weird way of spelling "any BOLT THROWER album"

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Didn’t we just have nazi chat recently? Don’t listen to arghoslent

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

The greatest death metal album of all time is Dismember’s Like an Everflowing Stream.

It's pretty good, but it's not melodic death metal. But yeah OK it is "Swedish/Swedish inspired death metal". OP, check out Dismember, Grave, Entombed and that one band whose name I keep forgetting (God Macabre I think)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cobra Commander posted:

gently caress those guys but also who cares what you listen to on your own time.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Smirr posted:

It's pretty good, but it's not melodic death metal. But yeah OK it is "Swedish/Swedish inspired death metal". OP, check out Dismember, Grave, Entombed and that one band whose name I keep forgetting (God Macabre I think)

Cheers man, have heard of Entombed (who hasn't?!) and Dismember, will give them a try.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Goon posted:

Are they all terrible?

yeah they all suck

you might like impaled

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh I totally missed the "all Swedish death metal" part. Classic Swedeath is one of my favorite things so if you like Entombed, Dismember and Grave consider checking out the following:

Wombbath
Utumno
Afflicted
Necrophobic
Liers in Wait
Carnage
Nirvana 2002
God Macabre
Seance
Runemagick
Bloodstone
Carbonized
Unleashed
Moondark
Repugnant
Eternal Darkness
Grotesque
Vomitory
Merciless

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh I totally missed the "all Swedish death metal" part. Classic Swedeath is one of my favorite things so if you like Entombed, Dismember and Grave consider checking out the following:

Wombbath
Utumno
Afflicted
Necrophobic
Liers in Wait
Carnage
Nirvana 2002
God Macabre
Seance
Runemagick
Bloodstone
Carbonized
Unleashed
Moondark
Repugnant
Eternal Darkness
Grotesque
Vomitory
Merciless

Awesome, thanks!

Vomitory I have heard and really like :)

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

After the big names like Dismember, Entombed, and Grave, everyone has their own personal favorite pet Swede-Death album. Mine is Desultory's Into Eternity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUUaOcUtHJY

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dimebags Brain posted:

After the big names like Dismember, Entombed, and Grave, everyone has their own personal favorite pet Swede-Death album. Mine is Desultory's Into Eternity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUUaOcUtHJY

Only had time to listen to the first song, but excellent preparation for going out tonight!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Smirr posted:

Swedish death metal is not the same as Gothenburg metal (which is Swedish melodeath). It's famous for heavily downtuned, groove-laden riffs and maxed-out HM-2 distortion.

Actual Swedish DM: Entombed, Entrails, Dismember, Grave, Bloodbath, Centinex, Vomitory.

If you like that sound, you'll probably like Gatecreeper too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

And Mammoth Grinder

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And Feral!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgWQXcNkFm4

Transcending Obscurity have so many awesome bands under their wings, it's probably my favorite label right now.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
They are just about to put out a release by Trench Warfare that I think is gonna be good

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

maxed-out HM-2 distortion.

Something about that HM-2 sound just makes me so god drat happy :allears:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I can't use my HM-2 without getting an erection.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
HardMale-2

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Cobra Commander posted:

Listen to them, just don't give them money or talk about them

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Serpent Column and House of Atreus are good substitutes if you don't want to mess with all that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

deadking posted:

Serpent Column and House of Atreus are good substitutes if you don't want to mess with all that.

Serpent Column doesn't sound anything like them

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nazi associations or not, Incorrigible Bigotry absolutely rips so far.

Fake edit: oh gently caress, the riffs in "Heir to Perdition" :vince: It really is too bad about the politics because this is a killer album.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More swedeath. I can't believe no one has mentioned Lik yet. Straight up SotS-era AtG worship in a lot of their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSQ6fmLdg8

Or the retro deathblackthrash of Vampire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiPaqIW_DPs

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 27, 2019

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I came across this on bandcamp the other day and I immediately fell in love with it. It's a perfect mash-up of LDoH, Warsore, and Gore Beyond Necropsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vYoogM8ps

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love it.

E: Not as much as this, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR5UThMOjuo

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 27, 2019

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

KozmoNaut posted:

I love it.

This also rules. The best part about a lot of these albums is the cover artist is someone who does professional art on candy and snack packages lol.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Dead Goon posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Vomitory I have heard and really like :)

vomitory are loving epic and I'm really sad they split up :(

although I just checked the archives and they are still listed as Active? Hmmm, I hope its true :P

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

although I just checked the archives and they are still listed as Active? Hmmm, I hope its true :P

People were talking about them not getting a visa in time for MDF like two pages ago. I don’t know if they’re making more music though.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah

Henchman of Santa posted:

People were talking about them not getting a visa in time for MDF like two pages ago. I don’t know if they’re making more music though.

Yeah Lich King replaced them but they put on a killer set. Plus they’re just a ton of fun.

MDF is so good at getting bands that don’t really make music anymore but are classics in the genre, it’s a bummer when the visa stuff falls through.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Also:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Listening to this weird death/doom project with members of Pyrrhon plus a violin an it’s kicking my rear end:
https://weepingsores.bandcamp.com/releases

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
If you want death metal with melodies that is actually good, listen to Intestine Baalism.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
I went to like 7 MDF's in a row, so now its sad when everyone I know is there and I'm not for the 2nd year in a row...but on the bright side, I got a 9/10 in the new Decibel Magazine, so stoked!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

KozmoNaut posted:

I love it.

This kicks rear end.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
came home from mdf to this in my mailbox:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't remember if we ever talked about this, but Thronehammer dropped their debut album earlier this month and I just came across it in my backlog. Absolutely killer sludgy doom, doesn't feel even close to it's over an hour and 15 runtime.