Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I was a dumb and bad scholar, but I would always just throw a couple of Energy Drains out at the end when Aetherflow was about to come back and I didn't think I'd need the Lustrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Fazzle is the friends we made along the way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Energy Drain is one of SCH's core DPS skills due to its interaction with Quickened Aetherflow, the fact it's a oGCD, and its MP restore. Without it, you have to waste Lustrates to reset Aetherflow faster.

This is sort of why it's a problem though. I see exactly what you mean but healers theoretically have to work around other player's mistakes (which Lustrate is part of) and thus may not have Lustrates to spare for Energy Drain if their team isn't that competent. Tying their DPS and MP Regen to that is a balance nightmare. It isn't unworkable but it adds another barrier to playing the class.

Considering Aetherflow is coming at 45 now it's also a pretty different skill so Quickened Aetherflow might not even be the same.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Where's fazzle?

:emptyquote:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 27, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Where's fazzle?
Fazzle will not be revealed until the NDA is lifted, it's just that powerful

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homeless snail posted:

Fazzle will not be revealed until the NDA is lifted, it's just that powerful

fazzle is the ultimate powerup move that the paste bin mentioned

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
WHAT LEVEL IS GRAVITY?!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Release the expansion already Yoshida and put us out of our misery.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ImpAtom posted:

This is sort of why it's a problem though. I see exactly what you mean but healers theoretically have to work around other player's mistakes (which Lustrate is part of) and thus may not have Lustrates to spare for Energy Drain if their team isn't that competent. Tying their DPS and MP Regen to that is a balance nightmare. It isn't unworkable but it adds another barrier to playing the class.

Considering Aetherflow is coming at 45 now it's also a pretty different skill so Quickened Aetherflow might not even be the same.

The barriers to SCH play have always been the same thing though, and that's that its GCD heals are hot garbage. It's a class based around managing your Aetherflow stacks properly, and has been since ARR (although you couldn't avoid GCD healing back then because your only Aetherflow heal was Lustrate). Throwing out its DPS won't actually fix that. (Also if they change/remove Quickened Aetherflow, the class is not going to flow well in the slightest.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 27, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Square's decision to prevent melee classes from moving during combat is a mistake. A lot of melee classes need to be close to enemies to damage them. They should keep it how it is now, where you can move around.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
how long's the delay from launch until (savage) raid launches, a month? so annoying that wow is probably dropping 8.2 in the same window

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

The barriers to SCH play have always been the same thing though, and that's that its GCD heals are hot garbage. It's a class based around managing your Aetherflow stacks properly, and has been since ARR (although you couldn't avoid GCD healing back then because your only Aetherflow heal was Lustrate). Throwing out its DPS won't actually fix that. (Also if they change/remove Quickened Aetherflow, the class is not going to flow well in the slightest.)

That is sort of the point I'm making though. Aetherflow is not the same skill. ARC/SMN doesn't get it at all and SCH doesn't get it until 45. It doesn't look like it functions the same and there are presumably other changes to go along with that, so we don't know how the class flows

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Based on the Scholar and Summoner UIs from the class trailer, it seems to me like they removed Aetherflow entirely from Summoner and left it in for Scholar. However, since there are no Aetherflow heals before Lustrate (which is now level 45), they just gave it to you at 45 instead of 6 or whatever.

Basically they took out Energy Drain so there wasn't much point in having it at low level anymore.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 27, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

Based on the Scholar and Summoner UIs from the class trailer, it seems to me like they removed Aetherflow entirely from Summoner and left it in for Scholar. However, since there are no Aetherflow heals before Lustrate (which is now level 45), they just gave it to you at 45 instead of 6 or whatever.

Basically they took out Energy Drain so there wasn't much point in having it at low level anymore.

Summoner still has Aetherflow stacks you can see it in the video too. They use it for what looks like Painflare (correct me if I'm wrong" and then refreshes it with an attack it looks like. SMN also still has Energy Drain but it doesn't use Aetherflow stacks anymore.

Edit: In fact it appears Energy Drain GIVES Aetherflow stacks

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 27, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I am ready to go on the highway to the danger zone

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Summoner still has Aetherflow stacks you can see it in the video too. They use it for what looks like Painflare (correct me if I'm wrong" and then refreshes it with an attack it looks like. SMN also still has Energy Drain but it doesn't use Aetherflow stacks anymore.

Well, they have two stacks of something at least. Either way, I'd say Summoner is more clearly the class it works differently for, since they no longer have the Aetherflow spell itself (and they only get two stacks).

Aetherflow is actually a pretty nice system for a healer, since it forces you to ration powerful oGCD heals. Which is why they seem to have copied it for White Mages.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
SMN generates Aetherflow through Energy Drain now, you can see it in the job trailer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SAM players, how often do you use third eye and its associated two buttons?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ImpAtom posted:

That is sort of the point I'm making though. Aetherflow is not the same skill. ARC/SMN doesn't get it at all and SCH doesn't get it until 45. It doesn't look like it functions the same and there are presumably other changes to go along with that, so we don't know how the class flows

if you don’t know how it flows then what even is your point other than to worry

It also works the exact way you’re describing as being unworkable in game right now, soooo

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I use it pretty often. Seigan is a dps gain over shinten iirc and merciful eyes basically lets your tank worry less about keeping an aggro lead and they can just dps more.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

you should be using it as often as you can for predictable damage, it's a dps increase

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

if you don’t know how it flows then what even is your point other than to worry

It also works the exact way you’re describing as being unworkable in game right now, soooo

I think you're getting sort of confused at who is saying what here. :psyduck:

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no real reason not to use it when you can.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My problem is that I'm on a controller and can only fit so much stuff in my crossbars. Putting it on the front bar means losing something I need more immediate access to, and having it on the back is trickier to use. I guess I'll get used to it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Given the lore around Gunbreaker being a Hrothgar thing, and how Hrothgar are all about their queen, I hope the GNB relic is Save the Queen. That sword hasn't appeared in XIV yet.

Also, where's Masamune? SAMs have Kotetsu and Kiku-ichimonji. I figured they'd go for Masamune out the gate, seeing as PLD already has Excalibur but maybe we'll get it this time around.

Abilities are cool but I want to know more about the weapons with names now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

FactsAreUseless posted:

My problem is that I'm on a controller and can only fit so much stuff in my crossbars. Putting it on the front bar means losing something I need more immediate access to, and having it on the back is trickier to use. I guess I'll get used to it.

I decided a long time ago to accept missing out on the sweet like .5% DPS gain and not bother. Made samurai a lot more fun to play.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leofish posted:

Given the lore around Gunbreaker being a Hrothgar thing, and how Hrothgar are all about their queen, I hope the GNB relic is Save the Queen. That sword hasn't appeared in XIV yet.

Also, where's Masamune? SAMs have Kotetsu and Kiku-ichimonji. I figured they'd go for Masamune out the gate, seeing as PLD already has Excalibur but maybe we'll get it this time around.

Abilities are cool but I want to know more about the weapons with names now.
Masamune's already in, but it's called the Granleon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if Elezenos shows up with the Masamune at some point.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I wish Zenos* stayed dead.

*Also Nanamo

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I use it pretty often. Seigan is a dps gain over shinten iirc and merciful eyes basically lets your tank worry less about keeping an aggro lead and they can just dps more.

This. If you commit to having Bloodbath + Second Wind + Merciful Eyes you can be surprisingly self-sufficient if you're judicious about cooldown use which means the healer can be doing dps or healing the tank instead. Seigen is *slightly* more potency-per-kenki than Shinten, and either way, Merciful Eyes is up so often that it feels silly not to use it as much as you can.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mordiceius posted:

WHAT LEVEL IS GRAVITY?!

:emptyquote:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

*Also Nanamo

I do too but I'm fully prepared for him to join the Assholes Who Ended Up Our Friends squad with Nero, Gaius and special guest star Estinein

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seigan is whatever. You should use it, but it's so negligible that nobody can really fault you if you don't. 3rd eye has saved my life dozens of times and I very frequently need merciful eyes to not rip threat/quickly un-rip thread, so you should make room for those 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

*Also Nanamo
Zenos is dead, unless I missed something. He's El-dibs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also Nanamo staying dead would have so fully disrupted the Eorzean status quo that the next two expansions wouldn't have made sense: stabilizing Eorzea would have been way more important. Every moment the player spent away from Ul-Dah you'd be confused why you're not in Ul-Dah, and having to return would just make it confusing when the city is basically the same. MMO writing has a lot of limitations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I found a cutscene skipper.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Zenos body is dead, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zenos is still around wearing an elf now. I think he's only been in like two cutscenes so far though.