Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

To summarize RDM changes from everything I've seen:
18: Verthunder (aoe) replaces Scatter (120 potency, 7 Mana)
22: Veraero (aoe) (120 potency, 7 Mana)
66: Impact is now 5s cast aoe. (220 potency, 3/3 Mana)
72: Engagement, alternative to Displacement (shares recast, lower potency [150])
74: Enhanced Manaification (adds damage buff)
76: Reprise (3y, 100 potency) becomes Enhanced Reprise with mana, gets range and potency.
78: ? (Thought I remember seeing something)
80?: Scorch, combo action following Verholy/flare, replaces jolt when ready (700 Potency, 7/7 Mana,)

e: WHM getting Dia as a dot is king of amusing: I remember seeing someone's "wishlist" pre-leaks was RDM getting Dia and Bio as white and black mana dots. I kinda didn't think Dia would make a return in general, much less as a dot?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 27, 2019

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone have a good write-up on what we know about dnc so far? or how it will play?

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The AST leaks make me a bit concerned. I get nerfing their raid DPS utility, but the cards feel really really dull when they all do the exact same thing.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gorelab posted:

The AST leaks make me a bit concerned. I get nerfing their raid DPS utility, but the cards feel really really dull when they all do the exact same thing.

I think they want people to focus on building the seals to do some action and worry less about which card you get for the right party buff. We’ll find out more Wednesday I hope.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Here's what we learned from the live letter:

it is fun to dance

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the cards make a good, if boring, compromise to "good, also good, meh, bad, bad, bad" that the other cards had. Lord/Lady being stronger than normal cards, but lacking the seal seems neat. Will probably get a lot more use out of minor arcana since you have a 1/3 chance of drawing a duplicate seal.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Oxyclean posted:

e: WHM getting Dia as a dot is king of amusing: I remember seeing someone's "wishlist" pre-leaks was RDM getting Dia and Bio as white and black mana dots. I kinda didn't think Dia would make a return in general, much less as a dot?

Dia was a dot in FF11 so it was reasonable to guess that it would be one if added in 14.

Edit: and it was mutually exclusive with Bio, so there's the link between them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Prism posted:

Dia was a dot in FF11 so it was reasonable to guess that it would be one if added in 14.

Edit: and it was mutually exclusive with Bio, so there's the link between them.

Ah, okay, I didn't realize it made an appearance beyond the really early FF games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ouhei posted:

I think they want people to focus on building the seals to do some action and worry less about which card you get for the right party buff. We’ll find out more Wednesday I hope.

More or less, yes. There's two things you look at when you draw a card in the new system:
  • Is it a melee DPS card or a ranged DPS card? This determines who you'll apply it to.
  • Does it contain a seal that I don't already have stored? If not, you'll convert it via Minor Arcana.
Seals are used with Divination, a new action, which provides a 6% damage buff for a reasonable duration if you have three different seals and a 3% damage buff otherwise.

It's a good change for addressing the average skill level of AST players. The old system was filled with trap options for people who didn't know any better and had the potential to create insane streaks where you couldn't draw the right card for love nor money. There's still enough moment-to-moment decisionmaking on who the highest value target for your current card is and whether you want to Minor Arcana it or not to keep it interesting.

Gorelab posted:

They already felt really, really dull when three of them were a DPS boost (with one being a clearly superior option to the others), one of them was a survivability boost that was basically useless outside of certain cases in leveling dungeons, and two of them were minor resource restorations in an environment where resources were already barely a concern.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 27, 2019

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I saw an article that mentions player farms in ShB. Is that for real?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pigbottom posted:

I saw an article that mentions player farms in ShB. Is that for real?

All I can find about it is a vague comment made by Yoshida at Fanfest. I wouldn't put much stuck into it unless the media releases extensive details about it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
That would be really great though. Stardew Valley: Eorzea edition

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pigbottom posted:

That would be really great though. Stardew Valley: Eorzea edition

Maru makes a robot so is obviously a MCH. Abigail likes swords and darkness so can be a DRK. Penny's a nerd/SCH. Shane's a drunk so probably heals. You could probably class everyone in the village.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

All I can find about it is a vague comment made by Yoshida at Fanfest. I wouldn't put much stuck into it unless the media releases extensive details about it.

It wasn't just a vague comment at fanfest, it was said during a keynote. We aren't going to find anything out probably until launch though because of market speculators. Same with rebuilding ishgard.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Maru makes a robot so is obviously a MCH. Abigail likes swords and darkness so can be a DRK. Penny's a nerd/SCH. Shane's a drunk so probably heals. You could probably class everyone in the village.

Challenge question: Pam

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

Challenge question: Pam

Well she doesn't have a job, so I could go into the 1.0 trivia and say Sentinel.

Otherwise she doesn't move much and makes the people in her life adjust around her, so BLM.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

all anyone ever fished for was balance and now every card is balance so quit your bellyaching

long as scholar stays fun i dont really care what else they do to it, aetherflow was pretty pointless before lustrate anyway (oh boy i can energy drain 1-3 times a minute :geno:)

still want to play dancer above all others except maybe blm because i will always be a sucker for explosion mage

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

UHD posted:

all anyone ever fished for was balance and now every card is balance so quit your bellyaching

This is how bad ASTs played yeah. And now every card is just lovely balance with a chance to build to lovely spread balance. It's just boring and makes the cards largely pointless. you might as well just give ast a passive +5% damage aura. it'd do the same poo poo.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

To be fair, the only difference in usage of the spear was it always went to bards first, and arrow was just making sure to not put it on someone like monk so they don't clip. You had 3 dps cards, two consolation cards, and one card that was literally useless. I'm fine with them making the cards themselves uniform ish but if the info about what the seals do is right they do seem really boring.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Somebody put together a rough outline of how DNC seems to work based on all the available information and leaks:

Click for very large.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zoig posted:

To be fair, the only difference in usage of the spear was it always went to bards first, and arrow was just making sure to not put it on someone like monk so they don't clip. You had 3 dps cards, two consolation cards, and one card that was literally useless. I'm fine with them making the cards themselves uniform ish but if the info about what the seals do is right they do seem really boring.

The revamped systems they have in ShB make it hard to implement meaningful utility effects that aren't simply increased damage. Seals can't really provide anything but a DPS increase if you want them to be a useful effect. You could've tied them in to AST's healing in some way, but relying on random chance to ensure that you've got your big heal ready when it's needed could feel loving awful if the die are against you.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 27, 2019

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Glad they gave dnc mch's dumbass proc based combos so I never feel inclined to play it once I get it to 80!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think just flat +damage works best. Stuff like +crit or +dh would be ok because it's always good, but some jobs liked them more than others. +speed could be good for resource builders, but also be detrimental, as it could throw poo poo like Hagakure timings off.

Royal Road was cool flavour but it honestly had a good option, and then consolation options. I think I dig the changes enough.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cabbit posted:

Somebody put together a rough outline of how DNC seems to work based on all the available information and leaks:

welp, i know what i'm not playing now. rng combo is extremely not my poo poo

e: Wait no i'm reading that wrong. the combo isn't rng, just extra procs are. That's kinda like RDM then, I kinda like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So if I'm reading this right:

DNC has attack combos which are sort of like Red Mage in that they have a chance to proc a more powerful version of the attack.
Your goal is to build up gauge to spend on powerful attacks in addition to buffing/supporting your allies.
The dancing itself is a powerful attack that is sort of like Mudras and you do either a short one or a long one with short being easier but less damage?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I think the dances might also have different buffs associated with each, since the standard dance lit a meter on the UI for 60 seconds while the technical step just added a buff to the buff bar iirc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Click for very large.
People die, and the warrior of light dances. She dances so more people will die so she can dance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Has anyone numbered out what the fastest way to get Irregular Tomes will be yet?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Has anyone numbered out what the fastest way to get Irregular Tomes will be yet?

Premade syrcus tower iirc

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So if I'm reading this right:

DNC has attack combos which are sort of like Red Mage in that they have a chance to proc a more powerful version of the attack.
Your goal is to build up gauge to spend on powerful attacks in addition to buffing/supporting your allies.
The dancing itself is a powerful attack that is sort of like Mudras and you do either a short one or a long one with short being easier but less damage?

The long dance is high-cooldown, high-damage, and a short duration group damage buff (assuming the leaked tooltip is real). The short one buffs you and your dance partner only and maintains 100% uptime (60s duration, 30s cd on ability), and does moderate damage itself.

Both dances give the Esprit buff to affected people, which makes their attacks fill your gauge as well, so if the long cooldown dance's tooltip is real your entire party will be feeding your gauge for a short time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Saw a reddit post about getting 1 tome per 6 minutes doing 4 blu runs of tam tara and cheesing self destruct and final sting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Saw a reddit post about getting 1 tome per 6 minutes doing 4 blu runs of tam tara and cheesing self destruct and final sting.

Death pulling with 4 BLMs in Tam-tara is the fastest in a fully organized group. If you're just DFing, running Syrcus Tower over and over should be the fastest.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I think the scholar dps changes are a bit of a bummer. I'm not too torn up about energy drain specifically but when I already spend most of my time spamming broil, I don't want to lose what little other things I have. Also it's nice to have something to burn aetherflow charges when the cooldown is coming back up, instead of just totally wasting them. White mage looks like they have a neat system for that- you spend lilies to gain blood lilies for the dps ability, so you have an incentive to spend them.

Never liked miasma though. dots shouldn't have cast times, it is against the law

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

... This is going to be amazing.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Assuming you have perfect DoT ticks and lose two of your six Aetherflow stacks to healing abilities, SCH's potency per minute RN is 7770. Broil III has to be at least 280 potency to not lower SCH's overall DPS (PPM of 7920), and even then it's going to make pre-71 content a slog (assuming they aren't going to rebalance literally all the content in the game to require more intensive healing, which I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they won't).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Decided to play around with glam a bit, shame my lizard girl is getting shoved into the attic once ShB releases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Assuming you have perfect DoT ticks and lose two of your six Aetherflow stacks to healing abilities, SCH's potency per minute RN is 7770. Broil III has to be at least 280 potency to not lower SCH's overall DPS (PPM of 7920), and even then it's going to make pre-71 content a slog (assuming they aren't going to rebalance literally all the content in the game to require more intensive healing, which I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they won't).

As mentioned before they've said the behind-the-scene numbers are changing and to not judge current potency by previous potency.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ImpAtom posted:

As mentioned before they've said the behind-the-scene numbers are changing and to not judge current potency by previous potency.

Except we can directly compare Art of War and Miasma II to see how potencies are going to work out, since they're functionally the same. (Miasma II is in most cases a 100 potency spell since you never let the DoT tick. It's 200 potency on ST because it's only used for weaving there. AoW is a flat 150.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saigyouji posted:

Except we can directly compare Art of War and Miasma II to see how potencies are going to work out, since they're functionally the same. (Miasma II is in most cases a 100 potency spell since you never let the DoT tick. It's 200 potency on ST because it's only used for weaving there. AoW is a flat 150.)

we're saying that a patch 4.57 150pot != patch 5.0 150pot so don't bother with the maths, near as i can tell