Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Except we can directly compare Art of War and Miasma II to see how potencies are going to work out, since they're functionally the same. (Miasma II is in most cases a 100 potency spell since you never let the DoT tick. It's 200 potency on ST because it's only used for weaving there. AoW is a flat 150.)

Okay. But you are still literally judging the potency numbers by previous potency, which they said not to do. You are assuming 150 potency in ShB is the same as 150 potency in SB, which they said is not the case.

I am not saying it won't be less damage. I'm saying we genuinely don't know until we get our hands on it but one of the things they literally said is that potency is not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
(Also none of this addresses the whole "SCHs in pre-71 content will spend the majority of their time pressing 1 button" issue.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

(Also none of this addresses the whole "SCHs in pre-71 content will spend the majority of their time pressing 1 button" issue.)

Maybe that's not actually going to be an issue so it doesn't need to be addressed :shrug:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I would once more caution reading much into leaked actions, because they're all from an old version with different potencies, potencies themselves are being revamped, and a number of changes were done with tanks that will likely change how healers interact with them post-50.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I would once more caution reading much into leaked actions, because they're all from an old version with different potencies, potencies themselves are being revamped, and a number of changes were done with tanks that will likely change how healers interact with them post-50.

You mean the leaks are not exactly what we'll be playing in a month? I'm shocked, I tell you!

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

orcane posted:

Maybe that's not actually going to be an issue so it doesn't need to be addressed :shrug:

I mean the SCH DPS rotation was already super simple in SB but at least there was some nuance to weaving oGCDs

Now it's just a 2 button rotation at best and is going to be boring as hell unless they seriously make healing a taxing concern (they are not going to make healing a taxing concern)

Also the lack of ability to dump excess Aetherflow stacks at 45 seconds kind of sucks and seems like a big oversight

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ryanbomber posted:

(they are not going to make healing a taxing concern)

Considering that they're giving every healer, like, 3-4 new actions solely based around healing without carving away their previous healing tools, I wouldn't be so sure.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Vermain posted:

Considering that they're giving every healer, like, 3-4 new actions solely based around healing without carving away their previous healing tools, I wouldn't be so sure.

The only healing ability they've ever removed was Stoneskin

They've added several healing tools in both expansions

Don't get your hopes up

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

orcane posted:

If we assume the leaked skill lists are true, I'm far more willing to accept that this is another 4.0 SCH situation than "they rebalanced every fight in the game".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

If we assume the leaked skill lists are true, I'm far more willing to accept that this is another 4.0 SCH situation than "they rebalanced every fight in the game".

I'm saying it's that first assumption that might not be accurate, no one said anything about them rebalancing all the encounters.

Sure they have hosed up before and maybe they will gently caress up again and healers will be bad to play for a patch or a half, but it's super pointless to launch into elaborate theorycrafting rants on how bad exactly and why, with the info that's actually known.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Failboattootoot posted:

Saw a reddit post about getting 1 tome per 6 minutes doing 4 blu runs of tam tara and cheesing self destruct and final sting.

that isn't even good, you can solo it in like 4 minutes on RDM or any other class that has a big enough attack to one-shot the last boss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Griz posted:

that isn't even good, you can solo it in like 4 minutes on RDM or any other class that has a big enough attack to one-shot the last boss.

Unsynced parties don't get tomestones for completing the given duties.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, is anyone else looking forward to hearing the main theme to shadowbringers? After revolutions Im really looking forward to having a good one again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zoig posted:

So, is anyone else looking forward to hearing the main theme to shadowbringers? After revolutions Im really looking forward to having a good one again.
Yes oh my god. I've wanted to not hear those loving drums for two years

Square let me pick my own main menu music

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It'll be nice to not hear "BWAAAAA BWAH" because I let the login in screen sit for more than 10 seconds

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The new menu music is pa-paya

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I'm looking forward to the new battle music.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The music they have in the abilities preview demo when the Warrior comes up is banging and I want to see where it is in the game.

It also remixes a few interesting songs together and the link isn't apparent to me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ryanbomber posted:

The only healing ability they've ever removed was Stoneskin

They've added several healing tools in both expansions

Don't get your hopes up

How quickly we forget Protect, smdh.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Based on the last song they use in the job trailer during the portion of Summoner/Machinist/Dancer/Dark Knight, I am extremely hype for the main theme. It sounds like the boss theme and those are usually a heavy remix of the main theme.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bigmandan posted:

I'm looking forward to the new battle music.
I haven't had battle music turned on in so long I forgot it was a thing

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't had battle music turned on in so long I forgot it was a thing

I loved Heavensward battle music but I was indifferent to Stormblood's battle music. In the live letter i think you could hear it just a bit when they were showing off gun/rdm/blm/dnc and there was a sweet guitar riff in there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stormblood overused its main leitmotif and it kinda sucks because it peaks with Royal Menagerie and then you have to listen to the less interesting versions for five patches.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
as a healer main since 1.0: i'm not thrilled with the changes and i'm extremely skeptical. i'm getting my hopes up for wednesday but that's probably just gonna make me even more disappointed.

going from "oh wow, we might get a fourth healer!" to "all healers now have one dot and one nuke and one aoe and no (or one) ogcd" is pretty bland when they were already kind of simple.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Here’s a crappy PS4 pic uploaded to imgur from my phone. Ya’ll take really nice pictures.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

Stormblood overused its main leitmotif and it kinda sucks because it peaks with Royal Menagerie and then you have to listen to the less interesting versions for five patches.
I like Ghimlyt Dark or w/e but the swelling anthem wears out its welcome too soon, and then it just sort of loops.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is how bad ASTs played yeah.

i'm curious for an example of any situation in an 8-man where a spread balance is less than ideal

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

i'm curious for an example of any situation in an 8-man where a spread balance is less than ideal

It's the ideal yes but fishing for it it for multiple c/d's of draw isn't better over say, playing an expanded spear every now and then.

Like it is the thing you were wanting the most but holding out for it over a longer period of time hurt you more than playing slightly sub-optimal spreads after not getting it for a bit.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

somepartsareme posted:

Seiryu's add phase doesn't especially need it, the Bole can take the edge off healing that part.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I think their point was more along the lines of balance not being the only useful card.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Seiryu's add phase doesn't especially need it, the Bole can take the edge off healing that part.

Yeah also this, rolling draw/redraw and sleeve and not getting the magical ideal but ending up with an AoE Spear and a bole for your tank was still fine. Hell I'd even call it pretty okay. More DPS, maybe you've got a crit lord in the party, less need to focus on healing for a bit. The bad ast play I was referring to (and it's in the post I quoted) is only fishing for Spread balance because "IT'S THE OPTIMUM!"

Astroniomix posted:

I think their point was more along the lines of balance not being the only useful card.

Yeah it's not that balance wasn't the best it's that the other cards were pretty okay buffs (except spire unless you ran with a SkS samurai I guess?) and you were better off just playing 'sub optimal hands' instead of just holding out for the dream pair of RR and Balance.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My understanding was basically AOE Arrow/Spear was fine and not worth fishing for Balance from.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gorelab posted:

My understanding was basically AOE Arrow/Spear was fine and not worth fishing for Balance from.

Arrow could be argued a little bit depending on your team... Some people's rotations/tp management could get fumbled because of it (but BLM and SAMs loved it usually)

Spear was usually a good secondary prize.

I might fish for Balance if I had a sleeve draw still on them though. But i like to play the slots so :shrug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Minrad posted:

as a healer main since 1.0: i'm not thrilled with the changes and i'm extremely skeptical. i'm getting my hopes up for wednesday but that's probably just gonna make me even more disappointed.

going from "oh wow, we might get a fourth healer!" to "all healers now have one dot and one nuke and one aoe and no (or one) ogcd" is pretty bland when they were already kind of simple.

It's not like any of the healers are losing much if they're pared down to this standard. Also the healing throughput shown in all of these leaks is insane even when you say "potencies do not reflect updated math", plus every tank is gaining additional self-sustain on top of it, so it feels like fight design might be taking a turn for the hot and heavy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

My view on the card buffs is a little skewed of course because I solo healed some spots in the last 2 tiers effectively and so things like Ewer and Bole were way way way more appreciated than "Well here's 6% damage buff" ever could be.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gorelab posted:

No one's complaining if you give them a Spear. Arrow is definitely a DPS gain, but rigid rotations like DRG and MCH get thrown askew if you up their skill speed. It's fine if you're expecting it, but not the kind of thing I like foisting onto people.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If the leaks are real and the only spender on the tokens is another "Party wide 3 or 6% dps buff" then these card are entirely loving pointless and a really heavy handed way to deal with some of he buffs being situationally useful, esp. since the Minor arcana seem to just do the exact same poo poo as the main cards.

It's conceptually boring and makes the card busywork seem wholly unrewarding when you're just pushing 20 buttons to get a ~5% buff on a few people at a time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Another potential change I'm not sure about is the Ninja skill that eats suiton for ninki just because that just feels like it'd be both dull and probably fairly clippy.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Arist posted:

And I still don't understand why the resistance and the garleans use the same melody for their anthems. It seems really weird. And it really gets old fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Pigbottom posted:

And I still don't understand why the resistance and the garleans use the same melody for their anthems. It seems really weird. And it really gets old fast.

Because the Garleans are imperialists who stole the Ala Mhigan anthem when they invaded, like imperialists tend to do.