Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

queeb posted:

if that's how AST shakes out it's definitely killed a bit of my enthusiasm for playing it.

I'm also a little skeptical. I realize that there was the obvious best card, trash cards, and that there is no place for that kind of RNG in super raid content or whatever, but I kind of liked the differences in the cards and trying to make the best of a bad hand. I may be bad at switching from healing to damage targets fast enough to be an expert, but I got pretty darn good at managing my redraw, sleeve, and RR so I'll be a bit sad to see the mechanics go.

Of course, the final release may be fine and I still don't quite understand what the combinations of cards are doing in the reveal video.

I'd be ecstatic if they added some sort of good/bad targeting system like Warhammer used to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm also a little skeptical. I realize that there was the obvious best card, trash cards, and that there is no place for that kind of RNG in super raid content or whatever, but I kind of liked the differences in the cards and trying to make the best of a bad hand. I may be bad at switching from healing to damage targets fast enough to be an expert, but I got pretty darn good at managing my redraw, sleeve, and RR so I'll be a bit sad to see the mechanics go.

Of course, the final release may be fine and I still don't quite understand what the combinations of cards are doing in the reveal video.

I'd be ecstatic if they added some sort of good/bad targeting system like Warhammer used to have.
If you're on keyboard, do what I did: go into Keybinds and chance it so alt+[num pad key] targets that party member. 1 for yourself, 9 for fairie if SCH.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My dream scenario for healing is basically adding just a tiny bit more damage options and giving us a offensive and defensive target like WAR had. Everyone has copied public quests from them, but almost no one has done offensive/defensive target and it suuuuucks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Warhammer's defensive target is essentially just a focus target. What's really needed is a more comprehensive way to define initial targeting behaviours for actions, similar to what WoW allows, so that you can have click casting or focus targeting on certain actions by default without requiring the use of inefficient macros. I understand and agree with their desire to keep macro functionality limited, but I think that the QoL improvement for behaviours like that outweighs any potential obviation of player skill.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Viera really need ear piercing options ala Elezen/Au Ra. Only great big Bangaa-style loops'n'hoops.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Square either make MSQ dungeon cutscenes skippable or make them one-quarter current length because oh my god they just talk and talk and talk

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FactsAreUseless posted:

Square either make MSQ dungeon cutscenes skippable or make them one-quarter current length because oh my god they just talk and talk and talk

If they're skippable then people doing it for the first time have to choose between watching them and missing out on the actual content as people kill the bosses before the cutscenes end or skipping them and needing to re-watch the cutscenes later. They should make it skippable if all the players have already been there, but otherwise they're fine as is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vermain posted:

Warhammer's defensive target is essentially just a focus target. What's really needed is a more comprehensive way to define initial targeting behaviours for actions, similar to what WoW allows, so that you can have click casting or focus targeting on certain actions by default without requiring the use of inefficient macros. I understand and agree with their desire to keep macro functionality limited, but I think that the QoL improvement for behaviours like that outweighs any potential obviation of player skill.

How was it just a focus target? Like focus target here just lets you see cast bars and health but it doesn't allow you to dynamically harm and heal between your defensive target and the enemy without using macros. And because its built into the game you can design elements of the game around it for example you hit the enemy with a debuff and your offensive target gets a buff, or you start smacking on an enemy and your defensive target gets healed. You aren't pigeon holed into making that sort of action AOE or smart targeted.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Vermain posted:

Here's the question I want to pose: what would be as valuable as 6% partywide damage that would make it a legitimate choice instead of a false one?

a way to spend your last generated singular seal, so you can more easily set up the 3 different seals effect. I think that'd be a good choice. That way it doesn't compete with the AoE damage boost but rather complements it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

If they're skippable then people doing it for the first time have to choose between watching them and missing out on the actual content as people kill the bosses before the cutscenes end or skipping them and needing to re-watch the cutscenes later. They should make it skippable if all the players have already been there, but otherwise they're fine as is.
No, they're not. It's a big problem they inflicted on themselves and have no idea how to solve, and it means these two dungeons take disproportionate effort from both developers and players to stop it from being impossible to progress.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Viera really need ear piercing options ala Elezen/Au Ra. Only great big Bangaa-style loops'n'hoops.

That'll be awesome if it ever happens.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kortel posted:

That'll be awesome if it ever happens.
I'm honestly amazed there's not even one option.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Viera should get a slider that sets how far down on the ear the earring goes

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SirSamVimes posted:

If MSQ roulette had skippable cutscenes with just vets then the first thing that would happen on entering with an actual sprout around is that almost the entire party would go "can't skip lol" and drop. That would probably be an even worse sprout experience than the first time I did Praetorium and the rest of the party just voted to kick me midway through the run because I was still at the entrance to the first boss and watching the cutscenes, thus delaying their XP.

MSQ roulette is explicitly a queue that exists for helping new players so they can get an OK first time experience for the end of ARR. The current design does a good job of that: all the veterans in there know what they're getting into and get a reasonable cookie at the end, all the newbies get reasonable queues and a mostly coherent story. You only queue for it you're good with an hour of cutscenes playing in the background while you occasionally press some buttons but mostly do other things. If that seems extremely dull then you don't do MSQ roulette. They're completely avoidable, and short of revamping them as solo duties or something that is the best that can be done.

This said: I did actually encounter one weirdo in MSQ roulette a couple of months ago ago who berated us all for not force disconnecting to skip the Praetorium cutscenes and start all the fights earlier like he was doing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, they're not. It's a big problem they inflicted on themselves and have no idea how to solve, and it means these two dungeons take disproportionate effort from both developers and players to stop it from being impossible to progress.

I'm not sure what you're even arguing here?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They solved the problem, they don't do that stuff anymore. They aren't gonna go back and remake Praetorium to have it's cutscenes outside of the instance though

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If Cutscene Roulette was skippable they'd also nerf the rewards befit the 2 minute dungeon run, and the queue would be an hour again.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Gruckles posted:

If Cutscene Roulette was skippable they'd also nerf the rewards befit the 2 minute dungeon run, and the queue would be an hour again.

This is the correct answer. MSQ roulette is only worth doing now because they buffed the rewards to be worthwhile after they made the cutscenes unskippable.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

homeless snail posted:

They solved the problem, they don't do that stuff anymore. They aren't gonna go back and remake Praetorium to have it's cutscenes outside of the instance though

honestly Im baffled why they didnt just convert them to single player/singleplayer with npcs instead of having a roulette for 2 single quests.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tengames posted:

honestly Im baffled why they didnt just convert them to single player/singleplayer with npcs instead of having a roulette for 2 single quests.

Because they didn't have not poo poo AI for npcs until squadrons and 4.X more specifically. Those were both the testing ground for the Trust system coming in 5.0

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
remember when stormblood was coming, and the healer stuff leaked, and people kept going "well hold on maybe whm being able to pump healing will matter"

haha

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tengames posted:

Might be on the docket if Trusts are well done/popular. Biggest thing imo is opportunity cost, like where do they squeeze that in or what other thing do they delay as a result (like Hildibrand oh god please leave him alone).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not sure what you're even arguing here?
I hate MSQ roulette. There's nothing else. I just don't want people to think it's "not that bad" when it is fully terrible.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they should remove msq roulette and use their fancy new trust system to make those two dungeons solo instances

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"its not that bad" proportional to the rewards it gives you. Before they way increased the rewards but after they disabled cutscene skipping it was godawful for sure, but now eh just turn on Netflix and get some easy XP

or just be like me and don't do it very regularly

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have a solution it just annoys me but it's the most time-efficient way to get Poemeral Tomes so w/e I'll deal.

SAM growing on me the more I play. I have MCH, BLM, RDM to 70 so this will be the first melee DPS I get there. I'm extremely excited for DNC(?) too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK if its the most time efficient, it gives you the most per run but they're hella long. I think CT is probably even money unless you get into a real shitshow, or those dungeon speedruns people were talking about earlier

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MSQ is the most effort-efficient since you can just afk through it. If you value your time you should just not touch it and farm something else.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hate MSQ roulette. There's nothing else. I just don't want people to think it's "not that bad" when it is fully terrible.

How dare people have opinions different than mine

I dig MSQ Roulette because it's 500-600 Poetics and a ton of XP for a run that I can sleepwalk & Netflix through, and it helps newer players complete the ARR launch story at a reasonable wait time for them. It wasn't great when newbies were stuck in Castrum/Prae queue purgatory because most of the active playerbase was doing Coil and Crystal Tower and later dungeons. I'd like a more elegant solution, and I'm reasonably confident SE has one or two scoped out - they're likely super expensive from an opportunity cost and/or dependent on future tech (like Trusts).

It's totally fine for folks to not like it, but "actually your opinion's wrong" is a hell of a thing

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't have a solution it just annoys me but it's the most time-efficient way to get Poemeral Tomes so w/e I'll deal.

If you are talking about the new ones for the event to help newbies, a squad of blu can run tam tara in like 5 mins for one of those new tomes. Probably the only time BLU has a purpose, and its cheesing a system meant to help new players get into the game, wonderful.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all they really need to do tbh is edit the cutscenes a bit, the amount of unnecessary dialogue and lingering shots that don't add anything is massive.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

MSQ roulette is great. Getting the first part sucks, but I've got a little cleaning and cooking routine I can perfectly fit into the second part now. Pretty handy for free exp/poetics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CYBEReris posted:

all they really need to do tbh is edit the cutscenes a bit, the amount of unnecessary dialogue and lingering shots that don't add anything is massive.
They could probably trim them but don't you dare take away a single blessed second of Nero bitching about Cid, anywhere in the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

isk posted:

How dare people have opinions different than mine
Don't be a stupid dick, you know perfectly well I'm only expressing my own opinion. "Strawman" isn't an FF14 job.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Training Dummy" would be a good name but IDK for what race. Male Roe?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what can i spend poes on anyways? im always capped.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

queeb posted:

what can i spend poes on anyways? im always capped.
I spend mine on Ironworks/Shire for new classes I'm leveling.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Good call. GBR will probably use the shire tank set right? I might just buy all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the 260/270 "fending" stuff from the shire is a good way to spend some poes for GBR. Also grab a micro tomestone and 10 scripture (I think) tokens so you can buy a weapon when it goes in.

I feel like it's also a safe assumption that DNC is using the aiming stuff since it's classified as a ranged dps with BRD and MCH.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 28, 2019