Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Despera posted:

These tonal shifts in Gentleman Jack are jarring to say the least

It’s loving weird watching that show and seeing places I remember from growing up; for example, the bus that I used to take to school goes past Shibden Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is a must read, really interesting stuff.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

coulda done with about 20% less dog shooting in this ep tbh

Really they should have only offed 3 of the puppies.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Just think about that kid going out to shoot those doggies and also probably getting cancer later at the same time, goddamn.

Also I’m pretty sure l read here or elsewhere that irl they had to bury the firefighter’s wife’s kid in concrete, jfc

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there any problem more concrete cannot fix?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TinTower posted:

It’s loving weird watching that show and seeing places I remember from growing up; for example, the bus that I used to take to school goes past Shibden Park.

Its a very pretty place

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fuckin' yikes! :staredog:

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1133203560550862848

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

That was at least 5 puppies not counting the mother, I counted seven shots

(one might have taken 2 shots they were close together)

Ruff stuff

Were you counting the dead one the others were eating?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man I am super depressed now after all the dog shooting in this episode. :smith:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Vakal posted:

Is there any problem more concrete cannot fix?

Had they more concrete there wouldnt have been a problem in the first place

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nice puppies.... :unsmith:

:suicide:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The dog shooting was rough but to me it felt very restrained after the hospital scenes in Episode 3.

I think they were just right, enough to hit the emotional buttons but it never felt close to gratuitous. If anything my imagination made it worse than the bits they actually showed on screen.

I was also surprised they didn't spend more time on the bio-robots and really emphasise how slowly that roof cleanup must have progressed. The one-shot ruled though of course.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The babushka at the beginning reminded me of this actual person still living all alone deep inside an irradiated part of Belarus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcOS4q0RD-w

His channel has a few other interesting Chernobyl-related videos too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Foehammer007 posted:

What did they do?

Running around being general destructive assholes stirring up the fallout left down there

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

This is an interesting little bit of info

quote:

"Why not? It's very well made and you can get the dubbed Russian version online..."

Is this by one guy doing all the voices while the original is still heard in the background ?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love grim, depressing TV but my god even I'm having trouble with this.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This show is like sitting down and someone punching you hard in the stomach while whispering "gently caress you" in your ear and I really love it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

The writer mentions a scene they cut one of the dogs in the mass grave wasn't dead and they were all out of bullets.

That's a good cut. The episode walks a razor-thin line between poignant and gratuitous, leaving in a scene like that would have shattered the tension.

Speaking of tension: the rooftop scene was agony. I was yelling at the screen the entire time that poor fucker was stumbling back inside. Also, I doubled checked, and their time on the roof before the 'bell' rang was exactly 90 seconds. Nice touch.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 28, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Boris losing it in the trailer on the phone really has me psyched for him playing Baron Harkkonen in the Dune remake.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Boris losing it in the trailer on the phone really has me psyched for him playing Baron Harkkonen in the Dune remake.

Word. Had that exact thought of him myself, in that helicopter flight of stubbornly ordering the pilot to fly over the radiation, but also in other more human moments like his reaction to "We'll be dead in 5 years" from Legasov. He deffo has range to make the Baron as a lot more than just the floating fatman/madman from 80s Dune, as entertaining as that silly version was.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 28, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"They're mostly pets so they'll come right up to you, they'll be happy to see you."

:negative:

These are great, can't believe there's only one episode left but thank God the series isn't stretching out and looks to be going out on a high note.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1133236303477313538

:vince:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

That's a good cut. The episode walks a razor-thin line between poignant and gratuitous, leaving in a scene like that would have shattered the tension.

Speaking of tension: the rooftop scene was agony. I was yelling at the screen the entire time that poor fucker was stumbling back inside. Also, I doubled checked, and their time on the roof before the 'bell' rang was exactly 90 seconds. Nice touch.

I can't find it now (maybe it's in this thread earlier - can't recall), but there was some interview with a liquidator I saw recently where the person described feeling like he still has never left the roof after those two minutes, even though he survived it. The episode conveyed that intense feeling of traumatic stress well I thought.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Extra kudos to the appearance of a Mi-6 "Hook" with the optional wings attached.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Crusader posted:

I can't find it now (maybe it's in this thread earlier - can't recall), but there was some interview with a liquidator I saw recently where the person described feeling like he still has never left the roof after those two minutes, even though he survived it. The episode conveyed that intense feeling of traumatic stress well I thought.

From what I've read, they timed the exposure to try and prevent anyone who worked on the roof from suffering ARS but there was nothing they could do about the increased cancer risk. I can very much imagine feeling like the rest of your life is lived up on the roof as you wake up every morning wondering if today is the day you rolled snake-eyes for lymphoma or leukemia.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's no way I would have been able to resist looking over the side, but goddamn the sound of the geiger counter ratcheting up as they got close, down as they moved away, up again as they came back etc... :gonk:

Before this show that was a sound I associated with danger/death of course, but it's used so effectively here it feels unique.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Before this show that was a sound I associated with danger/death of course, but it's used so effectively here it feels unique.

I'm not sure I've seen another piece of media use the full-on maxed out Geiger counter sound that this show does. The one when it goes from an accelerating series of clicks to a persistent wail. I have no idea if that's even a real thing that happens, but it is unbelievably effective.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madurai posted:

Extra kudos to the appearance of a Mi-6 "Hook" with the optional wings attached.

Check out the rivets on that thing, they don't soviet like that anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIEWhZT7s8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There's no way I would have been able to resist looking over the side, but goddamn the sound of the geiger counter ratcheting up as they got close, down as they moved away, up again as they came back etc... :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7QYJKnagas

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CeeJee posted:

This is an interesting little bit of info

Is this by one guy doing all the voices while the original is still heard in the background ?

My wife watches Korean dramas dubbed like this and it drives me up a loving wall.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1133238538634518528

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

That 240p video gave me cataracts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm not sure I've seen another piece of media use the full-on maxed out Geiger counter sound that this show does. The one when it goes from an accelerating series of clicks to a persistent wail. I have no idea if that's even a real thing that happens, but it is unbelievably effective.

Yeah even STALKER does not get that aggressive with its Geiger counter.

Man I'm just imagining STALKER 2 cribbing a bunch of details like that from this show, assuming it ever comes out.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy McPants posted:

It is a real thing that happens. I've heard it in real life and when you're not expecting it it's far more terrifying than you can imagine.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
BBC doc from 1998*. Of note while Pripyat was still being used by some scientists the loudspeaker system still played through the town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEUd4DNE6I

The tree he focuses on in front of the Kindergarten really brings it home
"Below this point *points to deadish looking dark green portion* is before '86. The rest *pointing to new growth* is after"

I have three of those old Geiger/dosimeters. A DP-5, DP-5A, and DP-5V(B). The only way I can make them scream close to that is by setting them on their lowest level and holding the tube on the 5V's check source

*Yikes, this video is actually from 1989...christ

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 28, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SocketWrench posted:

BBC doc from 1998. Of note while Pripyat was still being used by some scientists the loudspeaker system still played through the town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEUd4DNE6I

The tree he focuses on in front of the Kindergarten really brings it home
"Below this point *points to deadish looking dark green portion* is before '86. The rest *pointing to new growth* is after"

I have three of those old Geiger/dosimeters. A DP-5, DP-5A, and DP-5V(B). The only way I can make them scream close to that is by setting them on their lowest level and holding the tube on the 5V's check source

Check out the babushka here, she's got that "Get the gently caress out of my way, things to do" vibe about her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEUd4DNE6I&t=1232s

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah even STALKER does not get that aggressive with its Geiger counter.

Man I'm just imagining STALKER 2 cribbing a bunch of details like that from this show, assuming it ever comes out.

... doesn't it? I *know* I've heard the Geiger wail a constant tone in stalker

Anyway, there should be more love for the guy who plays Basso, Fares Fares. He walks in frame and utterly nails everything. A portrayal of a man who's been to war and what that does. Can't have it undone.
I've met guys like that.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I feel that when you're that old you can live whatever way you like when it comes to this.

There's this guy too that stumbles across a few colorful remainders. Most of it prior to that just feels a bit clickbaity, you know, stirring drama for hits. "I brought this knife to protect me!" But talking with those old folks is awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIC73xZPLgU&t=779s

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

SocketWrench posted:

The bleeding, sure, I don't think it would do that unless there was a piece of fuel lodge on the door, in which case to do that damage he'd have a lethal dose.

CainFortea posted:

Unless the door was acting as a secondary radiation source.

Metal absorbs radiation, hence the bike they find in the shrubs this episode maxing out the gieger counters they had while surveying the swamp.
The door was facing the reactor hall, it was absolutely getting a full dose of rads for minutes before they opened the doorway.

Skippy McPants posted:

From what I've read, they timed the exposure to try and prevent anyone who worked on the roof from suffering ARS but there was nothing they could do about the increased cancer risk. I can very much imagine feeling like the rest of your life is lived up on the roof as you wake up every morning wondering if today is the day you rolled snake-eyes for lymphoma or leukemia.

Some bio-robots queued up a second and third time to get more bonus 800 rubles. After all, 800 for 90 seconds work is great value! And when there are 3,500 people doing that job a few slipped back into the line over a few weeks.

Skippy McPants posted:

Metro series of games does it well in parts. Although they use gasmask filters as another game mechanic in conjunction with radiation pockets around the levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SocketWrench posted:

I feel that when you're that old you can live whatever way you like when it comes to this.

There's this guy too that stumbles across a few colorful remainders. Most of it prior to that just feels a bit clickbaity, you know, stirring drama for hits. "I brought this knife to protect me!" But talking with those old folks is awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIC73xZPLgU&t=779s

This guy is awesome, his Belarus videos are great. This one getting drunk by the river with locals is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q37qWA2cL5w