Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1131924071795572736?s=19

quote:

Controlled by the #YPG/#SDF, the #Tabqa Dam - the largest source of electricity in #Syria - has been repaired & reconnected to the national grid.

An invaluable development for #Assad & #Damascus.
Tabqa Dam is back on the national grid. If you're curious, the installed capacity of the dam is 824 MW via eight 103 MW Kaplan-type turbines, although there's reports that it only generates a fraction of that due to a combination of pre-war disrepair, low water levels in the lake, and of course all the fighting that's happened in the civil war and around Tabqa.

I'd love to know the specifics of the agreement and how power sharing (both political and literal electrical power sharing) works between the regime and Northeast Syria, but details are not very forthcoming; most of the news about Tabqa is related to the battle that took place back in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Healthcare, Utilities, government services.
importing the US system is what Ive garnered.

Oh, so not anything where privatization might have the theoretical benefit of reducing the Saud family's death grip on the country. That figures.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It says a lot about that a ghoul like Lister doesn't even bother to hide his dismay at the prospect of a shattered and war torn country getting its power grid back online.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

It says a lot about that a ghoul like Lister doesn't even bother to hide his dismay at the prospect of a shattered and war torn country getting its power grid back online.

This post would probably carry more weight if the regime wasn't still bombing the piss out of Idlib, and going to kill and permanently displace an awful lot of people when it's ready to move on it.

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1133021658497912836

The cities being bombed, where people are most vulnerable, aren't going to get any power as a result of any of this. The regime has always used it as a tool.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 28, 2019

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
“Won’t somebody think of HTS!”

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Volkerball posted:

This post would probably carry more weight if the regime wasn't still bombing the piss out of Idlib, and going to kill and permanently displace an awful lot of people when it's ready to move on it.

The cities being bombed, where people are most vulnerable, aren't going to get any power as a result of any of this. The regime has always used it as a tool.

For the majority of the Syrian population that has been victimized by this war surely it is a good thing that the power grid is getting repaired? Whatever you wanted to see happen in the civil war isn't this an unambiguously good thing at this point from the perspective of the average Syrian?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It’s not because the insane crew of Jihadis didn’t win, and American shitlibs are mad about it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I loving hate Liberals lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
True leftists celebrate heartily in the streets at the victory of the apartheid state mafia family regime.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Grape posted:

True leftists celebrate heartily in the streets at the victory of the apartheid state mafia family regime.

as it stands you mostly celebrate a hideous war with no good winning options coming to an end. it is a muted celebration, but it beats the poo poo out of grinding your teeth over how DARE the filthy creatures of Syria have power again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

as it stands you mostly celebrate a hideous war with no good winning options coming to an end. it is a muted celebration, but it beats the poo poo out of grinding your teeth over how DARE the filthy creatures of Syria have power again.

Well, for definitions of 'coming to an end' depending on how enthusiastic Assad's post-war purges are. Looks like there'll be people going into military hospitals and not coming out for a good long while yet.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Grape posted:

Since the war is more or less over in most of the government held areas isn't it better that some semblance of normalcy, including functional utilities, be restored to the greatest extent possible? What's a better short term outcome to be hoping for?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Helsing posted:

What's a better short term outcome to be hoping for?
Peace sans fascism?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Peace sans fascism?

There was just a long brutal civil war that has more or less established that the government isn't going to be overthrow any time soon, so perhaps in light of that it would be better for the Syrians to at least have functioning utilities? I'm just not getting how anyone who is ostensibly concerned with the welfare of the people in the country could be saying that the restoration of basic services is a bad thing.

I guess it would make a sort of brutal realpolitik sense to want conditions to be really bad in government held territory if you thought the government was on the verge of falling but I don't think anyone still seriously believes that to be the case so viewing the restoration of basic services as a bad seems more like a desire that the Syrian people need to be collectively punished for having a bad government.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Having a hard time getting excited that the trains to the death camps will be running on time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Frond posted:

I loving hate Liberals lol.

On this issue you are actually on the same side as a large proportion of American liberals, which is one of the reasons the US never seriously intervened.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Having a hard time getting excited that the trains to the death camps will be running on time.

it beats demolishing cities block-by-block because someone heard a shiite might have laid eggs somewhere in the vicinity, i guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

it beats demolishing cities block-by-block because someone heard a shiite might have laid eggs somewhere in the vicinity, i guess.

Wait, are you suggesting demolishing cities block by block is not a thing Assad does?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, are you suggesting demolishing cities block by block is not a thing Assad does?

oh, god no. comment's entirely about how in the absence of an open war we can expect to see less of that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

For the majority of the Syrian population that has been victimized by this war surely it is a good thing that the power grid is getting repaired? Whatever you wanted to see happen in the civil war isn't this an unambiguously good thing at this point from the perspective of the average Syrian?

Most of the centers of Assad's power are relatively untouched by the war, and weren't in need of power. It's simply another tool at his disposal to punish victims and flex nuts at the rest of the country. Same deal with humanitarian aid going into his hands. It's humanitarian aid, it's good! Then it ends up being sold in shops in Damascus and not seen in the places most affected, so the smuggling networks still end up doing just as much work. These networks rely on cracks within the Syrian political apparatus to deliver aid because the state relentlessly pursues them. The more stabilized the Assad regime becomes, the worse the humanitarian situation is going to be for whoever he deems an enemy, so there's nothing "unambiguously good" when it comes to his consolidation of power.

Frond posted:

“Won’t somebody think of HTS!”

gently caress yeah, shock and awe, bitch.

https://twitter.com/AFP_Beirut/status/1133422182883831811

Take your outright bloodlust somewhere else.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Most of the centers of Assad's power are relatively untouched by the war, and weren't in need of power. It's simply another tool at his disposal to punish victims and flex nuts at the rest of the country. Same deal with humanitarian aid going into his hands. It's humanitarian aid, it's good! Then it ends up being sold in shops in Damascus and not seen in the places most affected, so the smuggling networks still end up doing just as much work. These networks rely on cracks within the Syrian political apparatus to deliver aid because the state relentlessly pursues them. The more stabilized the Assad regime becomes, the worse the humanitarian situation is going to be for whoever he deems an enemy, so there's nothing "unambiguously good" when it comes to his consolidation of power.

I don’t think this is necessarily true, if only because commodities like food are liquid and Assad has only so much control over the smuggling and distribution networks.

I don’t know about the dam but I think it will at least likely benefit the East, and help get industry and jobs restarted elsewhere.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Guys, I heard Assad won the war most, right? Right.
So logically he must control 100% of everything in Syria now, right? Right.
So the people there should starve and live in darkness to spite him! Right guys?! RIGHT??!?!?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A good chunk of the middle east is going to be too hot on average (50 C averages, 30 C nights) for human habitability in a few decades, let's not forget.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

you mean the people who the SDF has been at war with for the past five years aren't going to be connected to the drat they just repaired? that is unforgivable and frankly i think it's just one more reason to the pile for america to invertene regime tools like this SDF controlled electric drat, so they can't be abused by the SDF regime

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oh, god no. comment's entirely about how in the absence of an open war we can expect to see less of that.

I don't think I'd put money on that. The demolitions were and are happening in neighbourhoods that the SAA has occupied and pacified in order to encourage civilians who've fled to stay gone. The war ending will mean that they can safely demolish more homes, and they'll have a more urgent reason to do so it the form of returning refugees who might disrupt their little ethnic-cleansing project.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Helsing posted:

There was just a long brutal civil war that has more or less established that the government isn't going to be overthrow any time soon, so perhaps in light of that it would be better for the Syrians to at least have functioning utilities? I'm just not getting how anyone who is ostensibly concerned with the welfare of the people in the country could be saying that the restoration of basic services is a bad thing.

I guess it would make a sort of brutal realpolitik sense to want conditions to be really bad in government held territory if you thought the government was on the verge of falling but I don't think anyone still seriously believes that to be the case so viewing the restoration of basic services as a bad seems more like a desire that the Syrian people need to be collectively punished for having a bad government.

by functioning utilities, does this include hospitals

Also lol at 'we had to bomb the city and fire MLRS into civilian areas to bring power and water to them'

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Volkerball posted:

Won't someone think of the rump state of territory seized and controlled by literal genocidal jihadist militias :qq:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Helsing posted:

It would if the average Syrian was reconnecting power to their white-picket fence houses and going back to their normal 9 to 5. Or if the Russians and the Assad regime was intending to use that power to create the conditions for a peace process rather than a military victory followed by a genocide. Since that clearly isn't happening there's little to be excited about. The "average Syrian" whose house was blown to poo poo and family scattered to the four winds and is crossing their fingers that they don't get picked up in the purges like half their friends isn't benefiting from Assad having a functional power grid to dole out as he chooses. While at this point it's pretty clear that anyone who can should flee rather than continue fighting, the reality is that a quicker end to the war isn't going to reduce the casualties at this point - any opposition still in Syria is going to be killed before the shooting stops. A dam going back online is not a return to normalcy, it's just a noose tightening.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

thatfatkid posted:

Won't someone think of the rump state of territory seized and controlled by literal genocidal jihadist militias :qq:

thatfatkid posted:

[angry farting noises]

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I find it curious that the same people that were insisting that a Syrian govt victory in the battles for Aleppo and Damascus would surely end with the genocide of the population of the rebel-held territories, continue to insist that a Syrian govt victory in Idlib will surely end in the genocide of the population there as well. This of course despite the fact that the local populations of rebel-held Aleppo and Damascus were in fact not put to the slaughter.

Why continue with the lies after being proved wrong time and again for so many years now?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It's amazing that it's this many years in and there's still plenty of idiots who seem happy to pretend that the Syrian war is not a genocide. 12 million people are domestic or international refugees. Who exactly are you trying to convince?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kaal posted:

It's amazing that it's this many years in and there's still plenty of idiots who seem happy to pretend that the Syrian war is not a genocide. 12 million people are domestic or international refugees. Who exactly are you trying to convince?

bashar assad is fuckin' great, i'm not sure what your objection is

thatfatkid posted:

I find it curious that the same people that were insisting that a Syrian govt victory in the battles for Aleppo and Damascus would surely end with the genocide of the population of the rebel-held territories, continue to insist that a Syrian govt victory in Idlib will surely end in the genocide of the population there as well. This of course despite the fact that the local populations of rebel-held Aleppo and Damascus were in fact not put to the slaughter.

Why continue with the lies after being proved wrong time and again for so many years now?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaal posted:

Only a fool would deny the genocidal nature of the Sunni jihadist rebels.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaal posted:

if you had to pick either stalin or hitler. you know, what with the guys being bombed in idlib also being big on genocide... so what exactly is you point there? i mean i know, we should bomb assad so that the moderate jihadist rebels could do the genocide instead, but beyond that what is it that you're trying to prove to yourself?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurnugia posted:

if you had to pick either stalin or hitler. you know, what with the guys being bombed in idlib also being big on genocide... so what exactly is you point there? i mean i know, we should bomb assad so that the moderate jihadist rebels could do the genocide instead, but beyond that what is it that you're trying to prove to yourself?

I mean, even if you take away the casualties from aerial and artillery bombardment, the SAA has killed roughly twenty times as many civilians as ISIS, a literal fundamentalist death-cult who are the second most murderous faction in the country. It takes some serious and unusual dedication to genocide to get those sorts of numbers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

The last thing I want to do is wade into the latest iteration of this dumb argument, but no it wasn't a genocide.

War crimes? Sure. All manner of brutality and death and suffering and torture was meted out by Assad's thugs, as part of a campaign of terror to cow the populace.

But numbers have nothing to do with genocide. The conflict was largely fought along sectarian lines, but not completely. By far the most important factor was who you were loyal to, what side you were on. Sunnis disproportionately suffered in this war, but Sunnis who fought for Assad were not systematically gotten rid of.

This isn't meant as an apology for Assad, at all. Killing a bunch of innocent people because they don't like you is just as bad as genocide, imo. I'm a stickler for this because genocide has a real legal definition, and it shouldn't be diluted by false positives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

The last thing I want to do is wade into the latest iteration of this dumb argument, but no it wasn't a genocide.

War crimes? Sure. All manner of brutality and death and suffering and torture was meted out by Assad's thugs, as part of a campaign of terror to cow the populace.

But numbers have nothing to do with genocide. The conflict was largely fought along sectarian lines, but not completely. By far the most important factor was who you were loyal to, what side you were on. Sunnis disproportionately suffered in this war, but Sunnis who fought for Assad were not systematically gotten rid of.

This isn't meant as an apology for Assad, at all. Killing a bunch of innocent people because they don't like you is just as bad as genocide, imo. I'm a stickler for this because genocide has a real legal definition, and it shouldn't be diluted by false positives.

I feel like the neighbourhood-bulldozing and property seizure in places like Qaboun to keep Sunni refugees from coming back is an indicator of genocide. It's a clear statement of 'we don't want these people in our country'.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like the neighbourhood-bulldozing and property seizure in places like Qaboun to keep Sunni refugees from coming back is an indicator of genocide. It's a clear statement of 'we don't want these people in our country'.

By that rationale you could argue Croatians 'genocided' the Serbs in Krajina at the end of the Balkan wars, after they'd won. But there is a difference between that (which was basically ethnic cleansing and forced displacement) and what the Serbs did to the Croatians/Bosnians during the war (torture/death camps based solely on ethnicity + religion).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CrazyLoon posted:

By that rationale you could argue Croatians 'genocided' the Serbs in Krajina at the end of the Balkan wars, after they'd won. But there is a difference between that (which was basically ethnic cleansing and forced displacement) and what the Serbs did to the Croatians/Bosnians during the war (torture/death camps based solely on ethnicity + religion).

The neighbourhood demolitions are accompanied by torture/death camps, though? There's all those hospitals in Damascus with the rows of suspiciously long ditches out back, and then there's the ludicrously huge civilian casualty rates they're racking up on the front lines. The demolitions are just an indicator of who they're particularly targeting, and their target list seems suspiciously ethnic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, even if you take away the casualties from aerial and artillery bombardment, the SAA has killed roughly twenty times as many civilians as ISIS, a literal fundamentalist death-cult who are the second most murderous faction in the country. It takes some serious and unusual dedication to genocide to get those sorts of numbers.

Not trying to whitewash here, but look at any of those estimates, and you will see a problem. The male portion of the civilian casualties is much higher, 5-15x, that of the women. The numbers of what are clearly combatants are being left in the same section as civilians. It’s sort of hard to say with any certainty, but this discrepancy is shown in pro-rebel SOHR numbers as well.