Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he also wrote majikoi which was really funny

but yeah release the spyce was just kind of mediocre and had huge tone problems - not like, going from serious to goofy, but like, 'the ninjas casually kill a bunch of people and its followed by five minutes of them sitting around' or an episode inexplicably about sex trafficking that ends with the ninjas shrugging and moving on with their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
whoa yeah that definitely sounds like yuyuyu/AgK guy

AgK was rear end and balls, would not recommend

e: majikoi is good but precisely because it never tries to tackle a serious issue ever

every time this guy tries he botches it to an almost comical extent

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

whoa yeah that definitely sounds like yuyuyu/AgK guy

AgK was rear end and balls, would not recommend

e: majikoi is good but precisely because it never tries to tackle a serious issue ever

every time this guy tries he botches it to an almost comical extent

So it's a David Cage anime?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Has there been any good new sports anime in the past year?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ace of Diamond got a new season this season and is just as good as its first two seasons.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Run With the Wind is excellent

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hanebado and Harukana Recieve were both fun sports shows as well

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Ace of Diamond got a new season this season and is just as good as its first two seasons.

Is it like other anime where you can enjoy it even if you don't care about baseball? I literally have no idea how baseball works. At least most of the other sports I know the basic rules.

Everything Burrito posted:

Run With the Wind is excellent

This looks interesting, I totally had forgotten about it, I will check it out.

I know there has been a few soccer/football animes in the last year or so. Any of them good?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buddy, even I don’t know how baseball works. I think the appeal of any good sports series is that it works even if you don’t know anything about the sport.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched like 5 seasons of Saki so sure

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Strange Quark posted:

Buddy, even I don’t know how baseball works. I think the appeal of any good sports series is that it works even if you don’t know anything about the sport.

ehhhh

Akagi is significantly less interesting if you don't understand Mahjong. You can still sort of follow the dramatic beats but it's not the same.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also doesn't Chihayafuru explain the basics of Karuta in the first couple of episodes to avoid this exact issue

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also doesn't Chihayafuru explain the basics of Karuta in the first couple of episodes to avoid this exact issue

Chihayafuru also takes an effort to explain the more advanced strategies of Karuta so you can properly appreciate what's happening in the matches.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Most sports shows I’ve seen are like this, outside the ones which are just crazy superpowers disguised as sports

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf karuta is an extremely, extremely simple game, the only barrier is memorizing/recognizing the poems not really the sport itself.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

karuta’s tough. You not only have to recognize the poems, but also the very first phoneme and either wait for more phonemes, or chance picking the wrong one.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Most sports shows I’ve seen are like this, outside the ones which are just crazy superpowers disguised as sports

Every shonen series I've ever seen has that one guy whose job is to narrate exactly what the main characters are doing and explain why it's so badass.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Nipponophile posted:

Every shonen series I've ever seen has that one guy whose job is to narrate exactly what the main characters are doing and explain why it's so badass.

Like in dragonball z. They move faster than light to save on animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Like in dragonball z. They move faster than light to save on animation.

hey, be fair. they move faster than light so toriyama can just draw them in end poses without having to do the hard work of paneling or movement. the anime was just following his lead.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the All Out manga (not sure about the anime since I haven't gotten around to watching it) spent some time on rugby rules and positions so you'd have some idea of what the heck everyone was doing which was nice since I have no clue how rugby works. The manga 15: Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu also did that, with helpful charts of player positions!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

the All Out manga (not sure about the anime since I haven't gotten around to watching it) spent some time on rugby rules and positions so you'd have some idea of what the heck everyone was doing which was nice since I have no clue how rugby works. The manga 15: Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu also did that, with helpful charts of player positions!

Eyeshield 21 dripfed rules too, but that lead to some wierd things like not introducing the concept of an extra point until like the fifth volume

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Meme Emulator posted:

Eyeshield 21 dripfed rules too, but that lead to some wierd things like not introducing the concept of an extra point until like the fifth volume

Eyeshield 21 also doesn't really have any idea how football works. They do things that'd be 15 yard penalties in real football like every other play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

Eyeshield 21 also doesn't really have any idea how football works. They do things that'd be 15 yard penalties in real football like every other play.
eyeshield's manga at least got the rules right even if it exaggerated, the anime didn't even seem to know how many yards a football field was. they added filler scenes to the matches that made literally no sense

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I agree but it does help a bit if you like the sport. But I will give Ace of Diamonds a try. I've heard nothing but good about it. Is it like Eyeshield 21/Kuroko basically full shounen but with sports or more "realistic" sport anime like Slam Dunk or something?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Watch Aim for the Ace and Cinderella Nine with us on Tuesdays @8 PM est.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Coming from Captain "dudes jump off a post to score" Tsubasa it was kinda funny watching Giant Killing where soccer is mostly portrayed straight and there's even a dude that's not very polished overall but he is REAL FAST and actually gets to start based off that. Death Note coach aside it's quite realistic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ulio posted:

I agree but it does help a bit if you like the sport. But I will give Ace of Diamonds a try. I've heard nothing but good about it. Is it like Eyeshield 21/Kuroko basically full shounen but with sports or more "realistic" sport anime like Slam Dunk or something?

It’s a realistic one. Some of the plays they do seem insane but they’re actually referencing things that happened in televised real baseball games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dias posted:

Coming from Captain "dudes jump off a post to score" Tsubasa it was kinda funny watching Giant Killing where soccer is mostly portrayed straight and there's even a dude that's not very polished overall but he is REAL FAST and actually gets to start based off that. Death Note coach aside it's quite realistic.

Ya I watched Giant Killing when it aired. It is drat good and it is from the perspective of a manager with a garbage rear end team. Too bad they only did 1 season and the animation was subpar for a sports anime. Deen have never been that good for action anime imo. It's more a drama sports anime than pure hype but it's still enjoyable. I gotta read the manga someday it is still ongoing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Giant Killing was a good show despite not being that great looking; there just aren't many team sport shows that are both fairly realistic and feature an adult team either.

I tried to switch over and continue with the manga but couldn't get into it as much although I've bookmarked my spot and haven't given up on it entirely :negative:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Giant Killing was a good show despite not being that great looking; there just aren't many team sport shows that are both fairly realistic and feature an adult team either.

I tried to switch over and continue with the manga but couldn't get into it as much although I've bookmarked my spot and haven't given up on it entirely :negative:

Ya I feel ya I have had the same situation with many mangas. The worst part is when the manga's art is totally garbage compared to the show. Also there are some manga's where the action is basically indecipherable because the mangaka is just bad at protraying action. That's one thing I loves loved about Toriyama's art. It was very simple but the action parts were drawn so clearly and simple you could always tell what was going even when the characters had nanosecond teleports.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

somewhat recently finished FMA:B and i'm looking for another show to fill a similar spot. something good looking that's at least action-ish oriented, and has an interesting plot and enjoyable characters. i've already seen hunter x hunter, my hero academia, and soul eater so if anything else along those lines exists i'd love to be made aware of it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

somewhat recently finished FMA:B and i'm looking for another show to fill a similar spot. something good looking that's at least action-ish oriented, and has an interesting plot and enjoyable characters. i've already seen hunter x hunter, my hero academia, and soul eater so if anything else along those lines exists i'd love to be made aware of it

One of my favorite lesser-known shonen series in this vein is Kekkaishi

the anime ends at the end of a major arc but long before the manga does, so be prepared for that if it's a problem, but hey, it's better than a Bones original ending like what happened to Soul Eater

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

Eureka Seven, maybe?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Thunderbolt Fantasy. Really fun plot and characters, and while it's certainly not your standard "good looking" anime the puppet action scenes are fantastic.

Edit: For something more conventional, Rage of Bahamut - season 2 has some serious issues with the main romance plot, but the first season is way better than a mobile game anime has any right to be.

fezball fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 28, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rage of Bahamut is very good, and has a good rear end dub. Which coincidentally ends right before the show gets bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

The first half is way more rural and character based with action only really ramping up in the second half, but my favorite show in this mold (action-ish, lots of plot progression and character-based humor and good development for said characters) is Turn-A Gundam.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
king gainer is a really good show in a similar vein also, with more of a focus on action and running at half the length

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I hadn’t watched anime in a while and started watching Hunter X Hunter (2011 edition, although I watched the first two ‘99 eps first) not really knowing anything about it and it blew me away how good and totally unexpected plot wise it was. I really enjoyed it.

I followed that up with Hero Academia which is also really good but a little more standard shonen stuff, and then I tried to start Fairy Tail and it’s ok but but probably not the best choice after those other two. Are they any recommendations for other kind of higher brow or deconstructive shonen series that are in a similar vein to HxH or HA? I’m not well versed in what’s even out at the moment so any suggestions are welcome even if it’s not shonen stuff

While nothing is truly as good as HxH, World Trigger manages to have similarly high quality fight scenes, even if the main plot isn't as interesting. I can't speak to the quality of the anime, since I've just read the manga, though. The vast majority of shounen, including stuff like My Hero Academia, have pretty uninteresting fight scenes, while both HxH and World Trigger are really good about having fight scenes proceed logically given the power/ability-sets of the characters involved. World Trigger unquestionably has the best team fights I've seen in a manga.

One kind of neat thing about World Trigger is that it unfailingly sticks to the premise that the main character doesn't have any particularly special or exceptional abilities, and even the badass "ace" characters aren't capable of soloing whole teams or anything. Black triggers are powerful weapons, but they still operate in a reasonable manner and can be defeated by people using "normal" weapons. It's one of the only series where I don't mind a long tournament arc, since the fights are interesting enough to stand on their own. I also personally like the character designs, though I know a lot of people find them hard to distinguish.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It’s frustrating that many of you guys say nothing is as good as HxH because that’s the first anime I have ever watched and now my standards feel too high. I did just finish the manga Monster and WOW was that a good story. Also I started on Legends of Galactic Heroes anime and it is really, really good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there's tons of stuff that's better than HxH, there just aren't many (some days I would say "any") long-form shonen battle anime that are better than HxH