Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I rewatched 1&2 and still think 1 is a nearly perfect movie except for the boss fight in the rain and think 2 is a flawed middle child with some great fights but way too much Bowery. Common is so good but he’s just in and out of the film in such a weird way.

3 was awesome but the Laurence of Arabia poo poo was egregiously stupid. That dude just hangs out in a bedouin hookah lounge in the middle of the desert all day, calling all the shots globally? It’s just a deeply nonsensical bit of world-building that breaks down the film. I also felt like this film’s humor was tonally different and not for the better.

Halle Berry and her furry friends were extremely entertaining but that fight scene was weird because almost all of John Wick’s scenes are about moving forward and keeping a steady pace and that fight scene is like “kill 30 guys in this room, move to a new plaza, kill 30 guys in this room” and just felt way, way more staged than anything else in the series.

I really enjoyed getting John’s real name and seeing his upbringing a little was cool. My brother was a professional ballet dancer and sometimes he’d come home from training camp and literally just break down crying because he was so tired and exhausted mentally. He told me a story where he spent 8 straight hours just catching every woman in the company, and after every catch the teachers would tell the woman how many lbs to lose so his legs wouldn’t buckle, then scold my brother for buckling or flinching and assigning him x number of pullups//push ups as punishment. They really break you down mentally to turn you into a perfect dancing robot. He still points his toes perfectly 15 years later.

Winston definitely knows what’s going on, he could not have been less surprised when John’s body went missing.

The one poster who was like “JW4 better just be insane boss fights with Donny Yen and Clint Eastwood and Lucy Lui and Uma Thurman” is definitely the direction I’d want to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The one poster who was like “JW4 better just be insane boss fights with Donny Yen and Clint Eastwood and Lucy Lui and Uma Thurman” is definitely the direction I’d want to take it.

Linda Hamilton or no deal.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
If you're into action movies about police storming a skyscraper controlled by criminals, check out District 13. It even stars the guy who invented parkour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlt4lbMYppI

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hugo weaving boss fight

Name it john wick 4: revolution

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was the guy who did the big effort post on the art in JW2, I'll need to wait for the bluray of the film so I can freeze frame every scene before I can start on JW3. :v:
Do you have a link to that post? Or what thread it was in? The little snippet you posted here is hella interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vincent posted:

Do you have a link to that post? Or what thread it was in? The little snippet you posted here is hella interesting.

it was in the john wick 2 theard. It was hella interesting, especially that there are multiple massive, spectacular paintings based on instances of the Italian army getting its rear end kicked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vincent posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810454&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post469593170
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810454&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post469595107

Snowman_McK posted:

it was in the john wick 2 theard. It was hella interesting, especially that there are multiple massive, spectacular paintings based on instances of the Italian army getting its rear end kicked.
Getting its rear end kicked for trying to expand into/reclaim territory and being too cocksure of themselves. Santino was sitting there staring at them in the scene where he was trying to convince John to kill his sister so he could claim her seat on the High Table. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olatgr6F1NY

"This was my father's collection. I see a little more than just paint on canvas, of course."
Oh Santino, you vain deluded moron.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 26, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chow Yun-fat needs to be the final boss imo. John Wick 4: Hard Boiled

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We definitely also need the sweet bodyguard lady from Black Panther, the one with the shaved head and Vibranium spear. She was so good in a movie with the garbage editing and direction of Marvel, I’d love to see her doing some poo poo I’m JW4 where we can follow the fights and see what’s happening.

Basically we’re seeing that there are a number of assassin’s who fancy themselves to be John’s peers but we’re not seeing anyone who truly deserves to think that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii9_oWQ7HY

edit: yep, sorry, replaced my dumb question with something more fun.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 26, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Discendo Vox posted:

I need to read this, where is it?

Literally, actually 3 posts above yours.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Thinking out the Underworldbuilding of JW series because it's fun; this is definitely a "create a setting franchise" ala the best of genre fiction, but the thematic nature of it means that so much is obscured or revealed gradually

We have the High Table, the presumptive pantheon of the global underworld, with seats held by Mafia, Camorra, Bratva, and I think Triads and Latin-American cartels are mentioned? Who knows what they do in their day-to-day or how they resolve power struggles; it's not clear if Gianna's conversation with Mr. Akoni in 2 is the Camorra/High Table taking over an outsider's territory, or if it's one of many inter-Table rivalries. If nothing else, they seem to operate in an executive fashion, enforcing the many (well, two I guess) "rules" of the underworld with pretty unquestioning authority.

Most other elements of the underworld seem to operate as semi-independent organs, with each one having their own sort of ducal authority, but being united by common rules and currency provided "under the Table"; There is at least one class of criminal (Adjudicator(s)) that are direct extensions of the Table's authority. There is also a secretive Elder I guess who you can find by following directions which sound 100% metaphorical, who apparently is "above" the table in some vague capacity. Is this man some mythical figure or heir of the lore of Assassin? Does this imply that the High Table sprung out of the Assassins? The Table itself seems to be much more generic Organized Ultracrime, with Assassins/Operators - who serve as something of the underworld's specialized working class - deeply embedded into those syndicates as muscle, protection, and customers in the Assassin Economy explored below.

The hierarchy/interplay between The Continental network(?) of hotels/concierge services, the Continental Switchboard, and apparent Critical Criminal Industries (Jerome Flynn's mint) is interesting to consider and has many curiosities. The hotels and switchboard, just by their name, are implied to have a common origin, but an Adjudicator can still mothball any Continental hotel with a phone call. The Switchboard acts as a communications and archival nerve center for assassinations, but possibly more/all criminal enterprises under the Table, whereas the Continental hotel network seems to cater almost exclusively to operators. The Mint seems to be the origin of both the ubiquitous gold coinage, but also the High Table-specific markers, which Continentals are obliged to honor and able to distribute.

Interestingly, iirc, we have "The Continental Rome" and "The Continental Morocco", but the New York institution is only referred to as "The Continental". I might be mis-remembering that, though. Regardless, the Continental network, if it is that, doesn't have a house style or an apparent global administration, but they're still Under the Table. It appears that one can move from Operator into Management, and that above that puts you into those critical industries mentioned above, with potential movement into the administrative/adjudication roles under/along the Table.

Below that, things become mercifully simpler and clearer. There are a number of criminal syndicates or operations which aren't significant to be seated at the Table, but still fearsome in their own right (Viggo's gang, the Roma, Ninja Training School), and beneath that you have street services like doctor's offices, garages, tailors, map archives, etc. Further down, you have The Bowery, the underworld's underclass. This definitely seems like it'll be explored more in 2021, but from the glimpses we see they seem to be underappreciated/marginalized by most of the Table/Under The Table and possibly make up a critical infrastructure (surveillance? information? labor?) while enjoying massive wealth, despite their indigent lifestyle.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Movie was great, possibly the best in the franchise (even if John Wick 1 has the best single scene with the club scene), but I’ll need to see it again to be sure of that.

Also, holy poo poo, now I need a Halle Berry spin-off movie. Her character was established so well, and she kicked so much rear end, I’m going to be kinda pissed if it never happens.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Did anyone else feel that with the escalation of the number / strength of people and John Wick being able to disappear and re-appear / surviving the long fall, even if it's not exactly supernatural, it's showing that he's getting back into his groove? To me it was like, In 1 he's coming out of retirement and shaking the dust off but by the end of 3 he's starting to show signs that he is almost "Baba Yaga" again.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Strange Poon posted:

Did anyone else feel that with the escalation of the number / strength of people and John Wick being able to disappear and re-appear / surviving the long fall, even if it's not exactly supernatural, it's showing that he's getting back into his groove? To me it was like, In 1 he's coming out of retirement and shaking the dust off but by the end of 3 he's starting to show signs that he is almost "Baba Yaga" again.

I didn't even think of that! That's cool. I hope that's what they were going for. Either way it's awesome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really love the way people show deference to John through fear in 1 and sort of in 2, the way people are treating John like a party trick in 3 really turned me off.

I love the Raid and think those dudes are literally the Mozarts of Violence but any scene where someone could kill John and doesn’t rips me out of the films so fast I get whiplash.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Right at the start of the Zero fight there’s a bit where he has wick dead to rights and just...pulls the sword back. It’s really lousy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Surprised my parents for a Memorial Day movie/lunch and decided to go see this. Holy gently caress this movie owns. Attack puppers were my favorite part. Hope to see them good Belgian bois again in Chapter 4 :3:

And yeah, I need a Sophia spin-off. Make it a John Wick shared universe movie, Hollywood. You cowards.

Also, Chow Yun-fat needs to be one of the elders. And Jet Li. Get Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen to join Wick's high table hit squad. Add Carrie-Ann Moss too.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 27, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I really love the way people show deference to John through fear in 1 and sort of in 2, the way people are treating John like a party trick in 3 really turned me off.

I love the Raid and think those dudes are literally the Mozarts of Violence but any scene where someone could kill John and doesn’t rips me out of the films so fast I get whiplash.

It's just the Raid dudes who do that, and it turns out not to be a fight to the death.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Discendo Vox posted:

Right at the start of the Zero fight there’s a bit where he has wick dead to rights and just...pulls the sword back. It’s really lousy.

You're talking about when he has the blade to Keanu's throat and Keanu just... walks right into it, so Decascos starts backing up. I loved that moment, it's a total psych-out power move that throws off the aggressor. You'll see it in boxing from time to time, and most of the time the opponent reacts the same way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

You're talking about when he has the blade to Keanu's throat and Keanu just... walks right into it, so Decascos starts backing up. I loved that moment, it's a total psych-out power move that throws off the aggressor. You'll see it in boxing from time to time, and most of the time the opponent reacts the same way.

It's in a few samurai movies as well. They hold the blade straight out and the hero just strides forward. It happens a lot in the Lone Wolf and Cub movies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If every crime person in the world is part of the super high table crime death league with their honor blood codes who the gently caress is getting assassinated that everyone is a murderbot?

Movie was great though and I lost my poo poo laughing a lot. The turn to slapstick ultraviolence is welcome if we’re gonna goof troop up the universe.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

weekly font posted:

Movie was great though and I lost my poo poo laughing a lot. The turn to slapstick ultraviolence is welcome if we’re gonna goof troop up the universe.

Totally. Don't remember what it was, maybe it was the knife scene(?), signaled to me they were going to be paying homage to Jackie Chan and other Hong Kong physical comedians and I was here for it 100%.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

If every crime person in the world is part of the super high table crime death league with their honor blood codes who the gently caress is getting assassinated that everyone is a murderbot?

I kinda agree, but the way I see it they're not all one single organization. All of the crime organizations in the world joined together to form a High Table and establish some rules for dealing with each other. The Russian Mafia can do it's own thing, commit crimes against other crime organizations, put hits out for other people in those organizations, etc. as long as they follow the "rules". John could have killed that prick from Chapter 2 no problem, he just couldn't do it on the grounds of the Continental because that's against the rules. Which that prick knew, which is why he was hiding out there. If he was untouchable just because he was a member of the High Table, he wouldn't have had to hide out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, the downside of the ambiguity of these movies is that the hierarchy isn’t really clear, though never in ways that really matter at least. I thought The High Table was a totally separate organization from the assassins until 3 came along.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's going to be revealed that no one in the Organization actually commits any crimes outside of itself, it's a self-sustaining killconomy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The people who are at the level of being members with The Continental are a tiny minority in the criminal underworld, at least that's how I interpret it. Like, Viggo's crew had John Wick working for them, but I assume they didn't just send John Wick out to do just any job. He was on retainer for the really serious jobs. Same with Cassian, he's hired as the Gianna Diantonio's personal bodyguard and head of security, but I assume that he's the only one in her close inner circle that has Continental membership. Operators like that are highly sought after and get paid a lot more than the average goon, which is why the privileges of the Continental are so important and so prized.

So yea, the movie centers around the ultimate Assassin of all Assassins, John Wick so a lot of the people he encounters are also top-level assassins. But below that you still have the huge organized crime groups that have their own operations going on with armies of thugs and hitmen that aren't necessarily in with the Continental or even aware that it exists.

Think of Continental members like Jedi, something very rare that the average criminal would hardly ever encounter or know anything about.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The John Wick world needs its own OSI.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

The people who are at the level of being members with The Continental are a tiny minority in the criminal underworld, at least that's how I interpret it. Like, Viggo's crew had John Wick working for them, but I assume they didn't just send John Wick out to do just any job. He was on retainer for the really serious jobs. Same with Cassian, he's hired as the Gianna Diantonio's personal bodyguard and head of security, but I assume that he's the only one in her close inner circle that has Continental membership. Operators like that are highly sought after and get paid a lot more than the average goon, which is why the privileges of the Continental are so important and so prized.

So yea, the movie centers around the ultimate Assassin of all Assassins, John Wick so a lot of the people he encounters are also top-level assassins. But below that you still have the huge organized crime groups that have their own operations going on with armies of thugs and hitmen that aren't necessarily in with the Continental or even aware that it exists.

Think of Continental members like Jedi, something very rare that the average criminal would hardly ever encounter or know anything about.

Adding to this, not all crime is covered by this system because the production and logistics of all those coins and markers would be impossible if handled entirely by Moroccan Bron. It's just a system for the elite death dealers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Strange Poon posted:

Maybe Johnny is vampire?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
You'll love the Raid if you hate the idea of people with functioning knees.

I always figured goons like the bouncer from the first movie wouldn't have access to the Continental. The implication I got from this movie though was that regular people can and do stay at the Continental? (This is because they were talking about a "pest" problem while closing the hotel out?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Halle Berry training for 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2RJPrY2Og

Some setting notes, based on my understanding of the plot. Spoilers ahoy, so sorry for the weird spacing.

• At some point in 2 it's explicitly stated there are 12 seats at the High Table. This is in part to reflect the hercules/pantheon imagery the film has going.
  • My understanding is that Santino is not a High Table member until he takes his sister's position. It's always bugged me that Santino hiring John (through a Marker no less) to kill a High Table member didn't seem to cause any blowback for Santino. I guess the idea is Wick never tells anyone why he made the kill, or, now that Santino is a Table member, might makes right and they don't care?

• Parabellum indicates at one point that the coins are sort of symbolic, in that you seem to pay with one coin for any given act. This has all sorts of weird ramifications for the criminal economy. Even very big syndicates like Viggo's gang have holdings of coins that are among their most important holdings...but they don't have that many of them- hundreds, perhaps, not thousands. Wick stands out for having a lot of coins in storage; they're an expression of his societal power (and, if you like, privilege and dependence on the Table).
  • Based on the dialogue in 3, Berrada's facility does appear to be the only place that mints the coins. I know it might seem unrealistic, but, well, horse kills.

• Coins are used, or at least sought, by everyone under the Table, including the Bowery King's agents. Killers aren't the only people who use the coins, though they heavily flow into Continental hotels. We see Winston inspecting a set of these coins in 2. There doesn't seem to be a context in which the Continental pays people in coins, so I am under the impression these aren't freshly minted coins, but instead the Continental's takings. Some of the deleted scenes from 2 further confuse this, as the boxes the coins appear in also seem significant.
  • Like everything else, the Continental does seem to maintain a barely meaningful facade of normality. Presumably it's possible for me to get a room there, if I were completely oblivious and rich.
  • It's pretty notable that actual payment for contracts under the Continental system is in cash, not coins. It's likely that agents of crime lords get given coins for their own use.

• With 3, it now appears likely that the organizations with seats at the Table probably get freshly minted coins and get to effectively act as the initial source of the coins in the economy of the underworld. This obviously gives them massive direct control- they're the mint and the bank. It would also explain why the Elder has power such that he can't be touched, if the system of the economy of the Table partially comes from his authority.
  • The Adjudicator's special coin appears to be a +1 bag of infinite coinvalue, and thus an expression of the Table's control. I need to find a clean screenshot of it.
  • I don't think it's that the Continental is truly exclusively for the elite assassins, so much as that it is, in terms of the Table's economy, very expensive to spend coins on what is basically a safe hotel room with every service costing additional coins.
  • I hate the High Elder and his role is unclear, but given the other themes involved I have to assume the creators know how orientalist and appropriative the character is, and that this is getting set up for something. He still feels really shoehorned in in Parabellum.

With all this said it seems pretty clear each entry so far has retconned and expanded the universe, so idk.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Strange Poon posted:

Winston pretty much confirms this at the end with his "Baba Yaga". The Boogeyman is now truly back and he is coming to gently caress up everyone

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It is interesting how little we see of the crime world outside of assassins. I think the most overt thing is the chop shop that leguizamo runs and the implication in JW1 and JW2 that the Tarasovs run a lot of stolen cars.

I guess maybe it'd be too dark if we saw human trafficking or drugs being moved?

The whole economy/logistics of the world has a great feel to it but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny at all.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Paragon8 posted:

It is interesting how little we see of the crime world outside of assassins. I think the most overt thing is the chop shop that leguizamo runs and the implication in JW1 and JW2 that the Tarasovs run a lot of stolen cars.

I guess maybe it'd be too dark if we saw human trafficking or drugs being moved?

The whole economy/logistics of the world has a great feel to it but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny at all.

Less "dark" and more "tawdry" I think. It tarnishes the aesthetic quite a bit if all these dudes are bankrolled by ordinary petty crime, even though that's logically where the money is made.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paragon8 posted:

I mean what’s the difference between human trafficking and adopting orphans to become murder-rinas who nearly die in subservient violence for their criminal overlords? John and his roots is basically slavery, except he’s a hitman instead of a prostitute. I very much doubt any of the ballerinas or wrestlers could leave if they wanted to.

I also hate how the coins are worth anything. Clean up a dead body? 1 coin! 2 drinks at the bar? 1 coin! 3 nights stay in a 5-star Hotel? You better believe that is 1 Coin!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean what’s the difference between human trafficking and adopting orphans to become murder-rinas who nearly die in subservient violence for their criminal overlords? John and his roots is basically slavery, except he’s a hitman instead of a prostitute. I very much doubt any of the ballerinas or wrestlers could leave if they wanted to.

I also hate how the coins are worth anything. Clean up a dead body? 1 coin! 2 drinks at the bar? 1 coin! 3 nights stay in a 5-star Hotel? You better believe that is 1 Coin!

They're very good drinks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Discendo Vox posted:

[*] My understanding is that Santino is not a High Table member until he takes his sister's position. It's always bugged me that Santino hiring John (through a Marker no less) to kill a High Table member didn't seem to cause any blowback for Santino. I guess the idea is Wick never tells anyone why he made the kill, or, now that Santino is a Table member, might makes right and they don't care?
[/list]

This was my one issue with that movie too, like it did a little too much and too little world building at the same time. With Santino especially, we're told it would be chaos and horrible if he got a seat at the high table like this is a permanent game changing event. But like, how is he any worse than any of these other full time treacherous crime lord assholes that have folks assassinated at the drop of a hat and so on? Like if he does kill her wouldn't it just be a given because of how word gets around that everyone on earth would know she was killed by John Wick because Santino cashed in his thumbloodstub?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 29, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This was my one issue with that movie too, like it did a little too much and too little world building at the same time. With Santino especially, we're told it would be chaos and horrible if he got a seat at the high table like this is a permanent game changing event. But like, how is he any worse than any of these other full time treacherous crime lord assholes that have folks assassinated at the drop of a hat and so on? Like if he does kill her wouldn't it just be a given because of how word gets around that everyone on earth would know she was killed by John Wick because Santino cashed in his thumbloodstub?

I think the idea is that Santino is a dumbshit who hasn't considered any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just watched JW2 like 3 days ago and we aren’t really given a sense of what Santino joining the table will do. It’s implied that it’s a dick move, certainly, but I imagine the High Table is basically in a constant state of musical chairs (but with murder instead of Pop! goes the Weasel). Also anyone who cares enough will just see “John Wick went to Italy, need Dinner Reservations for... 64” and be like “ugh I really hope that is not my problem”