Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Honestly with how party healing seems to so rampant on the DPS classes and even tanks with regens, I'm thinking damage is going to be much higher in this expansion.

That's the only way I can see healing not being boring as hell. Don't need DPS spells if you don't have the time to DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

WHM looks alright minus the loss of AOE Aero.

Upgrading Stone and Aero into Glare and Dia is weird.

They've been gradually moving away from the whole CNJ aesthetic with each successive expansion. It's never really been a big part of WHM's design across the rest of the series, so it always felt like an oddity for veterans. Agreed on WHM looking good, though. The Lilies -> Blood Lily mechanic and current indicated potency values means that you remain completely even on DPS if you're able to only use Solace/Rapture and OGCDs to keep up your targets.

TheHeadSage posted:

That's the only way I can see healing not being boring as hell. Don't need DPS spells if you don't have the time to DPS.

It's a better model to aim for. Complex healer rotations are difficult to implement moving forwards because of a combination of hotkey limitations and DPS not being a strict requirement of the class (that is, you don't have to DPS for the class to perform its basic role). They could always change the latter, but every indication seems to be that people still find juggling DPS and healing challenging, and increasing the complexity of the rotation doesn't help with that.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 29, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hogama posted:

Boss mechanics! :buddy:

This is the worst thing I've ever seen

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

WHM was my main raiding class and I was kind of worried about the upcoming changes based on the weird dev comments, and general negativity from leaks.

First impressions from the WHM changes are :eyepop:

Better single target DPS, Better DoTs, Better Regens, Better Healing, more instant casts and :black101: THE BLOOD LILY :black101:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Minrad posted:

War seems to just be simplified a little bit? You get to Inner Release more often and cast Super Fell Cleave, but I dislike inner beast and steel cyclone just straight up being gone. In fact War's beast gauage and Drk's blood gauges both just seem to be glorified resource bars for casting one of two dps spells? I don't get it.

I was all set to come in here and bitch about how gnb has 1 normal combo and then another combo on a 35 second cooldown and how this was incredibly lame, but then I looked at the other tanks rotations and they are just maybe even more boring. I guess there might be a general simplification being done across the board? Even sam had it's only real source of friction in it's rotation cut.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

This is the worst thing I've ever seen

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Just got all my login stuff in order to prepare for eventual return to ffxiv and now looking at all the videos and realizing my favourite role (healer) is being gutted. Welp, this is depressing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

I was all set to come in here and bitch about how gnb has 1 normal combo and then another combo on a 35 second cooldown and how this was incredibly lame, but then I looked at the other tanks rotations and they are just maybe even more boring. I guess there might be a general simplification being done across the board? Even sam had it's only real source of friction in it's rotation cut.

Much like with healers, I suspect they're moving towards a model of tanking where more of your attention is being eaten up by the need to interrupt and appropriately deal with tankbusters or partywide damage, rather than trying to increase the complexity of their rotation much.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Someone did a interview with YoshiP about the healer changes. It seems their end goal with these changes are to have the various jobs in a state where pretty much anything is equally viable.

I think it's a little misguided in end result, but I can definitely see where he's coming from, and you can feel it very strongly in the tank and healer changes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey the healer changes make sense. If all the healers stop playing healers, now you gotta use the Trust system to bring an NPC healer. Very subtle!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GBR's Danger Zone being upgraded in to Blasting Zone is highly disappointing, name-wise. :colbert:

Vermain posted:

They've been gradually moving away from the whole CNJ aesthetic with each successive expansion. It's never really been a big part of WHM's design across the rest of the series, so it always felt like an oddity for veterans. Agreed on WHM looking good, though. The Lilies -> Blood Lily mechanic and current indicated potency values means that you remain completely even on DPS if you're able to only use Solace/Rapture and OGCDs to keep up your targets.

Yeah, I suppose WHM getting more holy-ish makes sense and is kinda cool thematically. Feel a little bad for aero and stone, but I guess they'll live on in RDM.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They should add some kind of Protect spell to healers and some more damage spells so they can heal less often and contribute to dps instead.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I suppose WHM getting more holy-ish makes sense and is kinda cool thematically. Feel a little bad for aero and stone, but I guess they'll live on in RDM.

It "must" be so they can add Geomancer later after they finally kill off classes.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
GNB is ready to rip, ready to tear.
shotgun chainsaw gunblade ahoy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New MCH looks eeeehhhhhh, maybe I'll like it at 80, not super optimistic though. At least there's always DNC.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

GBR's Danger Zone being upgraded in to Blasting Zone is highly disappointing, name-wise. :colbert:
Blasting Zone is a worse name but it's a reference to Squall's stupidest looking but also most awesome limit break from FF8 so I love it. If the gunblade gets half as huge as it does in that move, I will play Gunbreaker.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I totally get disappointment with some changes (though I'm pretty loving pumped for the changes to the classes I play), but what gets me is how any time there are massive changes like this, we get revisionist history like:

quote:

I've never been more disappointed to see that a leak is real in my life. AST's card complexity, the most fun part of the job, has been kinda destroyed. Seals just aren't nearly interesting enough to make up for the incredibly detailed decisions that went into deciding when to Spread an Arrow/Spear and when to keep fishing for a Balance.
"incredibly detailed decisions" such as "is this card balance? y/n?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

nyttyn posted:

Someone did a interview with YoshiP about the healer changes. It seems their end goal with these changes are to have the various jobs in a state where pretty much anything is equally viable.

I think it's a little misguided in end result, but I can definitely see where he's coming from, and you can feel it very strongly in the tank and healer changes.

If they want everything to be equally viable why is Trick Attack unchanged?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Vanderdeath posted:

I have an important question regarding the most important aspect of the game, fashion.

I've been rocking a glamour based on Hrist from Valkyrie Profile -

But I'm not exactly happy with my helm choice. Are there any plate helms that come close to the design she has?

This is a little bit of a stretch since it has horns instead of the wings, but it has a similar looking visor piece on the forehead which you can raise/lower further with the /visor command: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Nightsteel_Helm_of_Fending

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's going on with GBR's Gnashing Fang combo? Can't watch videos right now so just trying to make sense from tooltips, Gnashing/Savage/Wicked all list additional effects of the buff that enables a second ability, but continuation seems to imply that's needed to allow this to happen?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Assuming most of the tooltips and potencies are accurate, the healers look at parity at least to SB healers on single target. The tooltips didn't change much between HW and SB so it's a safe assumption.

AST playstyle is about the same, with frankly a better card system. And the overall effect will be pretty similar overall. Combust III is the same as Combust II so there's probably an issue in the tooltip there.

WHM lose Aero 3, but gain 900 potency ever 90 seconds. Still no utility but have a decent lead in personal dps again. Dia is optimally a 12 potency increase over Aero 2 for 30 seconds, so there might be tooltip gronk there.

SCH lose some buttons and some AOE. Effectiveness wise I doubt this will hurt them as their toolkit is still strong as gently caress, but it will affect the play enjoyment.

Misc notes:
DoTs are all 30 seconds.
Celestial Opposition is a weak, instant AoE heal + regen/shield depending on sect. Big cooldown.
Collective Unconsciousness Might leave the damage reduction on the target like it did the regen.

I don't think WHM's personally healing or damage is ultimately gonna tip the AST/SCH meta duo, but it might make them less unappealing. Despite some oGCDs, Stone/Glare are 2.5s casts so they'll have some complaints about that.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hey so this expansion seems likely to be pretty good for what I'm interested in (everything but healing) so I want to come back. However I will be attempting to play this on the PS4 as my gaming pc has finally died and I don't really want to replace it right now.

Any tips for PS4 playing? I've attempted to play this on the controller twice before but gave up because of the lack of muscle memory and getting a bit overwhelmed by full ability kits. Should I just run every dungeon starting with the first one one time or something?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vanderdeath posted:

I have an important question regarding the most important aspect of the game, fashion.

I've been rocking a glamour based on Hrist from Valkyrie Profile -

But I'm not exactly happy with my helm choice. Are there any plate helms that come close to the design she has?

There's a dragoon helm in the 69 dungeon that kinda does. It's a visor with wings. There's a tank recolour from Fractal Hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

What's going on with GBR's Gnashing Fang combo? Can't watch videos right now so just trying to make sense from tooltips, Gnashing/Savage/Wicked all list additional effects of the buff that enables a second ability, but continuation seems to imply that's needed to allow this to happen?

Your basic combo grants a Cartridge after the third hit. You can spend a Cartridge on the Gnashing Fang combo (which has a 30s cooldown, modified by skill speed), all parts of which grant a separate buff. You can use Continuation after each part of the combo to deal additional damage.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Despite some oGCDs, Stone/Glare are 2.5s casts so they'll have some complaints about that.

The way that the Lily/Bloody Lily mechanic works out with the indicated potency numbers is that using Afflatus Solace/Rapture is effectively a "free" GCD, since the Glare potency you lose from using one of them is compensated for by Afflatus Misery's total potency. It's not quite Malefic, but it'll give you a lot more mobility without losing DPS uptime.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 29, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

You need to hit them in order, but you can go Gnashing Fang -> Jugular Rip -> Savage Claw -> Abdomen Tear -> Wicked Talon -> Eye Gouge. It's basically mimicking Squall's Renzokuken, hitting the trigger after each attack.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Presumably continuation will become the rip, tear, gouge abilities, so this combo will look like 1, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4 or such.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently it's exactly that.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Marathanes posted:

Presumably continuation will become the rip, tear, gouge abilities, so this combo will look like 1, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4 or such.

yeah its this. you can see it in the live letter thing, the button changes each time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Am I blind or does WAR not have something at 80?

Marathanes posted:

Oh, that makes more sense, I was thinking the rip/tear/gouge replaced their respective abilities, and you had to press continuation to activate, so like 4->1->1->4->2->2. That makes way more sense.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So they took away dark arts and gave a mini version to GUN? In terms of an oGCD button you have to slam before every attack, but thankfully only in This one combo.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Oxyclean posted:

Am I blind or does WAR not have something at 80?

Oh, that makes more sense, I was thinking the rip/tear/gouge replaced their respective abilities, and you had to press continuation to activate, so like 4->1->1->4->2->2. That makes way more sense.

The chaos cleave or whatever is the 80 ability I think.

e.

Glagha posted:

So they took away dark arts and gave a mini version to GUN? In terms of an oGCD button you have to slam before every attack, but thankfully only in This one combo.

Seems more akin to having to weave Shinten into your GCDs after Hagakure on SAM, only every 30 seconds instead of 40.

Frabba fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 29, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Glagha posted:

That combo itself is on a cooldown so you cant always use it. Instead you use a combo, generate a round and then use it as extra single or aoe damage.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I will say Im kind of going to miss my AST playing friend sighing Audibly every time we get sync'd down to 50 and he doesnt have gravity

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Glagha posted:

yeah it sounds dope

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here's some high-quality renders of the AF for each battle job. Really liking the SCH and DRK sets this time around.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean that wasn't a complaint, tapping the GUN button between each hit is fine, I was just finding it kind of funny that one tank lost their annoying bullshit button and a new one gained one, but only in this one little aspect of their kit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

People say “healers” are bad now but it seems like WHM and AST are very similar to before except AST cards are less variable now?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I like how Flamethrower is now even more useless in 5.0.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Badger of Basra posted:

People say “healers” are bad now but it seems like WHM and AST are very similar to before except AST cards are less variable now?

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I for one am still mad that male DNC AF has pants!