Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The neighbourhood demolitions are accompanied by torture/death camps, though? There's all those hospitals in Damascus with the rows of suspiciously long ditches out back, and then there's the ludicrously huge civilian casualty rates they're racking up on the front lines. The demolitions are just an indicator of who they're particularly targeting, and their target list seems suspiciously ethnic.

It doesn't work quite like that. The US targeted Japanese people during WW2 in the Pacific. But it wasn't because they were Japanese, it was because of who their leaders were, to put it very simply.

The US firebombing and nuking Japanese cities was, as far as I'm concerned, a war crime/crime against humanity. Like I'd consider Assad's crimes. But genocide it isn't, and again I'll stress that this doesn't make the actions one iota morally better, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Oh, is it time for the "but what really is the definition of genocide" argument again?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Not trying to whitewash here, but look at any of those estimates, and you will see a problem. The male portion of the civilian casualties is much higher, 5-15x, that of the women. The numbers of what are clearly combatants are being left in the same section as civilians. It’s sort of hard to say with any certainty, but this discrepancy is shown in pro-rebel SOHR numbers as well.

Male civilians being especially targeted for death has an extremely long history my dude.
Srebrenica leaps immediately to mind.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh, is it time for the "but what really is the definition of genocide" argument again?

Is it really so hard to say 'ethnic cleansing' instead?

Like seriously...do you get the impression that word somehow redeems Assad moreso than 'genocide'? All it is is more accurate.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"Ethic cleansing" is what you call a genocide you tacitly support.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

thought it was what you called one that failed, like our attempt to purge Iraq of all those viewed as ethnically inconvenient

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yes...this is clearly what I am getting at, you loving moron. :ughh: Someone 'genocide' this thread, or better yet all of D&D. Or even better, just me while letting Yeowch or thatfatkid keep going.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

thought it was what you called one that failed, like our attempt to purge Iraq of all those viewed as ethnically inconvenient
That's a "regime change" with an associated "demographic realignment."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No it's an actual term with distinction. My father-in-law was ethnically cleansed in 1974, and died from lung cancer in 2015.
This would not be possible if genocide was a synonym for it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

If your goal is to remove X group from a specific set of land, and so long as they're no longer there you're happy? You do not have to kill them. You can kill some and scare away the rest from the example, literally march them off the area, ghettoize them, destroy or otherwise make inaccessible their homes etc.
This is still Class A war crimes territory, and can go hand in hand with genocide, or develop eventually into genocide, but not the same thing.

Grape fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 29, 2019

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, even if you take away the casualties from aerial and artillery bombardment, the SAA has killed roughly twenty times as many civilians as ISIS, a literal fundamentalist death-cult who are the second most murderous faction in the country. It takes some serious and unusual dedication to genocide to get those sorts of numbers.

...yes and therefore what? I asked what the argument being made was, not that why assad was a baddie. Just because he has had the chance, a chance which the jihadists would dearly have appreciated, doesn't itself tell us loving anything.

except tgat youre terrible at debate and discussion

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Can we maybe cool it with the strawmen and this strange competition in which we argue about who supports dictators the most 🙏

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So what's going on with Sudan and Algeria lately?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
you knew the answer to that before you even started typing comrade

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In Algeria, the vipers in command have turned against each other to appease the anger of the crowd in the streets, but once there was only one remaining, they still weren't satisfied, so now the one guy remaining instead of stepping down, is cranking up the repression a notch. Still several notches to go before it gets real bad, but after a promising start, it's not going in a pleasant direction anymore.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean, the argument about exactly why assad is a really big bastard has been topic of intense and intensely boring debate in this thread on avarege about 20 billion times per second for the past 10 years, and during that time the question of "so loving what if he is" has been answered only by the very braeve members of the something genocidally awful john bolton fan club. you know, the guys who think that iraq was a bit of a fuckup but only because we didn't kill enough people from the getgo to terrorise the populace into submission

there's never any conclusion or point to arguing about how much of a baddie gaddafi, saddam or the thousand other formerly american allied dictators were, since the end result is always "regime change" by the americans and more death than anything that those guys could ever have possibly achieved throughout their reigns. though I guess that is the point. assad is a baddie, therefore the american empire can now expand to syria. of course solely with the aim of bringing democracy and human rights to absolutely loving no-one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

i mean, the argument about exactly why assad is a really big bastard has been topic of intense and intensely boring debate in this thread on avarege about 20 billion times per second for the past 10 years, and during that time the question of "so loving what if he is" has been answered only by the very braeve members of the something genocidally awful john bolton fan club. you know, the guys who think that iraq was a bit of a fuckup but only because we didn't kill enough people from the getgo to terrorise the populace into submission

there's never any conclusion or point to arguing about how much of a baddie gaddafi, saddam or the thousand other formerly american allied dictators were, since the end result is always "regime change" by the americans and more death than anything that those guys could ever have possibly achieved throughout their reigns. though I guess that is the point. assad is a baddie, therefore the american empire can now expand to syria. of course solely with the aim of bringing democracy and human rights to absolutely loving no-one

Where in this thread is the John Bolton Fan Club located, exactly? Because I've yet to see anything remotely like that.

"There's no point in discussing how murderous murderous dictators are/were" is a hell of a take.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Where in this thread is the John Bolton Fan Club located, exactly? Because I've yet to see anything remotely like that.

"There's no point in discussing how murderous murderous dictators are/were" is a hell of a take.

Leave him be, practicing what you're going to say to the internet wrongmen in the mirror is a delicate process.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
in and to also contain a difference of grammatical tense

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

welcome to the John Bolton Fan Club, please like share and subscribe! one RT=1 prayer for the restoration of the Shah,
┏┓
┃┃╱╲ in this
┃╱╱╲╲ house
╱╱╭╮╲╲ we
▔▏┗┛▕▔ vivisect
╱▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔╲
uppity saudi journalists
╱╱┏┳┓╭╮┏┳┓ ╲╲
▔▏┗┻┛┃┃┗┻┛▕▔

"There has never been such a thing as a Yemeni so how can such a creature be said to have died"-JBFC_Official

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pretty sure that John Bolton is literally the only person someone could name that every single person who posts in this thread despises

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Pretty sure that John Bolton is literally the only person someone could name that every single person who posts in this thread despises

I was going to say Erdogan, but I'm not so sure.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

well duh, that's why he posts under volkerball...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kurnugia posted:

well duh, that's why he posts under volkerball...

John Bolton is a lying idiot. Go beat up your strawmen in CSPAM with all the other extremely online types.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sudan is an interesting topic, since the protesters really seem to be operating with the benefit of the lessons learned from the Egyptian revolution. I haven't been following it super closely, but I do see updates pretty often that show people are still out demanding a civilian government.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

John Bolton is a lying idiot. Go beat up your strawmen in CSPAM with all the other extremely online types.

I do wonder if you realise, what responding to the obvious joke in the post and ignoring all the arguments besides, actually is...

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
and it's fine! you don't have to tell us why you keep posting white helmets psyops pics and screaming that assad is in fact a baddie, that's ok too! you don't necessarily need to have any kind of reason or point for endlessly debating the definition of genocide and exactly how many babies are dead because of assad, the important thing is to JUST. POST.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I forget is Kurnugia that Finnish drunk who kept posting incomprehensible and idiotic late night screeds? I think I remember him being really dumb but can’t recall specifics

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kurnugia posted:

and it's fine! you don't have to tell us why you keep posting white helmets psyops pics and screaming that assad is in fact a baddie, that's ok too! you don't necessarily need to have any kind of reason or point for endlessly debating the definition of genocide and exactly how many babies are dead because of assad, the important thing is to JUST. POST.

"Pallywood strikes again"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Squalid posted:

I forget is Kurnugia that Finnish drunk who kept posting incomprehensible and idiotic late night screeds? I think I remember him being really dumb but can’t recall specifics

One and the same!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Squalid posted:

Too good to debate the insane eh? I knew this thread had a long-standing ableist bend to it

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Volkerball posted:

Most of the centers of Assad's power are relatively untouched by the war, and weren't in need of power. It's simply another tool at his disposal to punish victims and flex nuts at the rest of the country. Same deal with humanitarian aid going into his hands. It's humanitarian aid, it's good! Then it ends up being sold in shops in Damascus and not seen in the places most affected, so the smuggling networks still end up doing just as much work. These networks rely on cracks within the Syrian political apparatus to deliver aid because the state relentlessly pursues them. The more stabilized the Assad regime becomes, the worse the humanitarian situation is going to be for whoever he deems an enemy, so there's nothing "unambiguously good" when it comes to his consolidation of power.

This seems to be contradicted by the fact that the regions of Syria under government control - which includes the majority of the population - have better access to food and water than those living outside government control. The regions that fell outside government control also experienced massacres and ethnic cleansing so exclusively attributing that to government forces is a sketchy way of trying to misrepresent a multi-sided ethnic conflict as a straightforward rebellion against the government.

Kaal posted:

It would if the average Syrian was reconnecting power to their white-picket fence houses and going back to their normal 9 to 5. Or if the Russians and the Assad regime was intending to use that power to create the conditions for a peace process rather than a military victory followed by a genocide. Since that clearly isn't happening there's little to be excited about. The "average Syrian" whose house was blown to poo poo and family scattered to the four winds and is crossing their fingers that they don't get picked up in the purges like half their friends isn't benefiting from Assad having a functional power grid to dole out as he chooses. While at this point it's pretty clear that anyone who can should flee rather than continue fighting, the reality is that a quicker end to the war isn't going to reduce the casualties at this point - any opposition still in Syria is going to be killed before the shooting stops. A dam going back online is not a return to normalcy, it's just a noose tightening.

This is a hell of a take, arguing that ending the war will have literally no effect on how many people are dying.

Your presentation of the 'average Syrian 'is really selective as well and, like above, obfuscates the fact that this is a conflict between fragments of the Syrian population, not just a struggle between the people and the government. Polling suggests that while the government is loathed by most of the people it still has durable centres of support that are much higher than your post implies:

The Syria regime is awful but inflating Assad to the level of super mega Hitler and trying to argue that endless chaos and zero infrastructure would be a better outcome for the population of Syria long term vs. a dictatorial but stable government rebuilding the country really beggars belief. The American backed Iraqi government also bombed large cities indiscriminately and oversaw the mass ethnic cleansing of Sunni neighborhoods and towns but I've never seen anyone here argue that Iraq would be better off as a perpetual Libya-style failed state with no central government or reliable services.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

This seems to be contradicted by the fact that the regions of Syria under government control - which includes the majority of the population - have better access to food and water than those living outside government control. The regions that fell outside government control also experienced massacres and ethnic cleansing so exclusively attributing that to government forces is a sketchy way of trying to misrepresent a multi-sided ethnic conflict as a straightforward rebellion against the government.

This is a hell of a take, arguing that ending the war will have literally no effect on how many people are dying.

Your presentation of the 'average Syrian 'is really selective as well and, like above, obfuscates the fact that this is a conflict between fragments of the Syrian population, not just a struggle between the people and the government. Polling suggests that while the government is loathed by most of the people it still has durable centres of support that are much higher than your post implies:

The Syria regime is awful but inflating Assad to the level of super mega Hitler and trying to argue that endless chaos and zero infrastructure would be a better outcome for the population of Syria long term vs. a dictatorial but stable government rebuilding the country really beggars belief. The American backed Iraqi government also bombed large cities indiscriminately and oversaw the mass ethnic cleansing of Sunni neighborhoods and towns but I've never seen anyone here argue that Iraq would be better off as a perpetual Libya-style failed state with no central government or reliable services.

People in Israel are much better off than those in Gaza, and most of the massacres in the area have occurred in Gaza and the West Bank. Should Israel occupy these areas and make the trains run on time in the interest of human rights? Would that end the fighting? Syria's dictatorial but stable central government is the reason that this war has periods of months where the death toll was higher than the last 10 years in Libya combined. Bombing campaigns in Jobar, Ghouta, and Aleppo were seeing 100+ people die every day. Well over 10,000 people have been tortured to death in Assad-run concentration camps. Millions of people have been forcibly displaced to Idlib as the regime has moved forward, and as Idlib falls, the number of people forced out of Syria is going to increasingly make the Nakba look like mere gentrification. Just because it isn't what the US wanted doesn't mean it's progress.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1135268775316598784

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1135332642851893250?s=20

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's been a big sit-in in Khartoum going on for I think a few months now. The military came in dispersed it today with live rounds. Seen death tolls of around 2-8 so far, but it might be a bit early to get an accurate assessment on that front.

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1135458546466938880

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

One could ask the same questions about Yemen.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of killing civilians:

https://twitter.com/TBIJ/status/1135433368848556033
https://twitter.com/TBIJ/status/1135433376729587712
https://twitter.com/TBIJ/status/1135433381309587456
https://twitter.com/TBIJ/status/1135433386879795201
https://twitter.com/TBIJ/status/1135433390264594432
https://twitter.com/TBIJ/status/1135433394320498691

[edit] Video of the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNihuiCp3o

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 3, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The SAA crossed into Idlib proper for the first time recently today, as the rest of the offensive had thus far been in Hama. They haven't really managed to grab a ton of territory so far at all, with the offensive seeming to have stalled out for a while (despite continuing aerial bombardment), so we'll have to see if today's move was a one off or the start of a new concerted push.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao at goons arguing intensely about how an eletric drat supplying power to parts of syria again is a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1135960577472376834?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Surely this won't have negative consequences.