Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I'm happy with all the classes I play, so I'm going to say that the snippet of the battle theme I heard watching videos was fantastic, and I think I may be right about the increased usage of the electric guitar for this expansion.

It would not surprise me if it was also part of the official theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Assuming most of the tooltips and potencies are accurate, the healers look at parity at least to SB healers on single target. The tooltips didn't change much between HW and SB so it's a safe assumption.

AST playstyle is about the same, with frankly a better card system. And the overall effect will be pretty similar overall. Combust III is the same as Combust II so there's probably an issue in the tooltip there.

WHM lose Aero 3, but gain 900 potency ever 90 seconds. Still no utility but have a decent lead in personal dps again. Dia is optimally a 12 potency increase over Aero 2 for 30 seconds, so there might be tooltip gronk there.

SCH lose some buttons and some AOE. Effectiveness wise I doubt this will hurt them as their toolkit is still strong as gently caress, but it will affect the play enjoyment.

Misc notes:
DoTs are all 30 seconds.
Celestial Opposition is a weak, instant AoE heal + regen/shield depending on sect. Big cooldown.
Collective Unconsciousness Might leave the damage reduction on the target like it did the regen.

I don't think WHM's personally healing or damage is ultimately gonna tip the AST/SCH meta duo, but it might make them less unappealing. Despite some oGCDs, Stone/Glare are 2.5s casts so they'll have some complaints about that.

There's basically two outcomes as I can figure it:

1. Damage intake is much higher and you actually will spend a greater portion of time healing and doing things that 1 dot/1 filler just feels as normal for sch/whm as it does for ast with their card draw minigame. I'm not hopeful since that kind of implies that AST won't have time to do their card minigame anymore, which still exists, albeit dumbed down.

2. The healing model is staying relatively the same, and negative feedback leads to them very quickly reintroducing -some- complexity to WHM and SCH DPS like they did at SB launch for SCH, even if it's just putting Miasma II, energy drain and (totally not aero III but some holy themed cast time dot) back in.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Ninja and Dark Knight look like a lot of fun. I was hoping to switch back to Monk this expansion after swapping to Ninja at the start of Stormblood, but my criteria for doing so is basically 'did they remove the skill speed penalty from Riddle of Fire, y/n' and it turned out to be n. Losing skill speed like that just hits every 'you hosed up real bad' DPS instinct I have since it feels the same as losing Greased Lightning or Huton.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Badger of Basra posted:

People say “healers” are bad now but it seems like WHM and AST are very similar to before except AST cards are less variable now?

no one is really saying healers are "bad", theyre saying they're boring. and even then only people who play sch and some asts are saying that. whm is almost exactly the same but cooler.

this isnt to say those people are wrong at all, i dont play sch so i can't comment, but whm's new buttons look cute so whm mains are happy as a clam im sure

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I like how Flamethrower is now even more useless in 5.0.

it doesn't even build either of the two gauges!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

RPZip posted:

Ninja and Dark Knight look like a lot of fun. I was hoping to switch back to Monk this expansion after swapping to Ninja at the start of Stormblood, but my criteria for doing so is basically 'did they remove the skill speed penalty from Riddle of Fire, y/n' and it turned out to be n. Losing skill speed like that just hits every 'you hosed up real bad' DPS instinct I have since it feels the same as losing Greased Lightning or Huton.

Im in the same boat. I swapped to ninja for SB because I couldn't stand riddle of fire and still can't.

DRK looks like its going to play much better and I'm excited to not spam Dark Arts every single gcd. It also already only had one real combo in SB so the loss of the enmity combo doesnt effect it in any way

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Am I blind or does WAR not have something at 80?
It looks like it's missing because of the tooltips, but you don't actually get Inner Chaos until 80.
Edit: with visual.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 29, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Minrad posted:

There's basically two outcomes as I can figure it:

1. Damage intake is much higher and you actually will spend a greater portion of time healing and doing things that 1 dot/1 filler just feels as normal for sch/whm as it does for ast with their card draw minigame. I'm not hopeful since that kind of implies that AST won't have time to do their card minigame anymore, which still exists, albeit dumbed down.

2. The healing model is staying relatively the same, and negative feedback leads to them very quickly reintroducing -some- complexity to WHM and SCH DPS like they did at SB launch for SCH, even if it's just putting Miasma II, energy drain and (totally not aero III but some holy themed cast time dot) back in.

We said 1 two years ago and that didn't happen. I skimmed through the end of the Heavensward thread and it read identical to this one so I doubt it. Maybe.

I don't think they're going to touch WHM and give them Aero 3 back or anything, and that's their only "significant" rotation change. SCH is completely overtaken in the AoE department, with less potency and no stun/range over the other classes. I could see something happening to SCH to address this, but I don't think anyone is getting more direct damage tools or dots back. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were, mind you, but this simple but effective dps toolkit seems to be the road we're following.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for how I'd find a hunting linkshell on my server? (Goblin)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

outcome 3: 2/5/1 becomes the accepted meta as healers solo heal with their now broken toolkits, death is certain, start brushing up on your dps rotations :shepface:

also, for anyone who enjoys salt, the balance discord healer chat seems pretty peeved right now. lots of career healers forsaking the game and writing it off.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Something that feels like something out of a fever dream, so I want to make sure I’ve got it right: Paladins are getting a 1200 potency AoE with no damage drop off that they can use once a minute.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

it doesn't even build either of the two gauges!

Yep. It's also more DPS just to Bio Blaster and Spread spam.

Looks like you get ~150 heat and 100 battery every minute cycle, which is good for 24s of Hypercharge and one Turret summon. Best practice is probably to line up WF, Queen and Hypercharge and hammer Heat Blast. We're WAR now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkJ_C8XaHI

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Willias posted:

Something that feels like something out of a fever dream, so I want to make sure I’ve got it right: Paladins are getting a 1200 potency AoE with no damage drop off that they can use once a minute.

1200 potency then is like 900 now, but yeah. All the tanks do Big Dips now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If Queen weaponskills count towards Wildfire it's a theoretical max of 1800 potency :getin:

EDIT: MY CALCS WERE WRONG IT'S 2250 LOL

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 29, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dancer is aiming:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

I like how Flamethrower is now even more useless in 5.0.

Just like Tornado Kick.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I am still so torn between leveling as WHM first because that is what I usually play or SCH so I can have that free SMN also since SMN looks so nice now.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Gonna be honest, I like the looks of every non healer, and they all look fun.

Even though Im happier with astro than I expected, I will say there is so much that makes no sense. It feels like healers were designed by people that don't actually heal, and I don't think this is going to do anything to break the meta of only one healer combo being used, the only question is if it's whm or sch that wins, and I kinda expect whm honestly.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Yep. It's also more DPS just to Bio Blaster and Spread spam.

Looks like you get ~150 heat and 100 battery every minute cycle, which is good for 24s of Hypercharge and one Turret summon. Best practice is probably to line up WF, Queen and Hypercharge and hammer Heat Blast. We're WAR now.

eh i think flat out comparing it to warrior is a bit reductive, at least from a smell test

heat blast and gauss round/ricochet are going to have crazy short recasts under overheat so that opens up being able to push a bunch of other abilities around the rotation, making it more consistently active while still having spikes of high APM wildfire burst. making wildfire more predictable damage and having overheat be instant is a decent concession for how ping dependent it is now

i’m more interested in mch after seeing the tooltips than i was after the job actions trailer tbh

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm vaguely surprised TCJ didn't get a pass to remove some of the clunk from it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ankle posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for how I'd find a hunting linkshell on my server? (Goblin)

Be hanging out in a zone when a train comes through, ask for a party invite, at the end of the train a linkshell will usually be advertised

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

most of the dps changes seem cool, or good, or even coolgood.

tank changes mostly seem like... a wash? Mostly just pruning, though I feel like Pld (and dark arts) was the only one who needed it.

healer changes bad.

this has been your shadowbringers review.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

RPZip posted:

I was hoping to switch back to Monk this expansion after swapping to Ninja at the start of Stormblood, but my criteria for doing so is basically 'did they remove the skill speed penalty from Riddle of Fire, y/n' and it turned out to be n. Losing skill speed like that just hits every 'you hosed up real bad' DPS instinct I have since it feels the same as losing Greased Lightning or Huton.

This is me, with the added caveat that Riddle of Fire feels terrible because if I wanted to be slow, I wouldn't be playing MNK in the first place.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Also my dreams of them swapping the names for Armor Crush and Trick Attack go unfulfilled for another expansion

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

God drat it.

Yoship you had one job. One. Job.

Why does Blizzard 2 still exist when you've made Freeze into a thing that actually does poo poo?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Homogenizing healers seems lame on the surface, but I'll give it a chance. I'm super hyped for July now.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SettingSun posted:

Homogenizing healers seems lame on the surface, but I'll give it a chance. I'm super hyped for July now.

yeah as much as i bitch now i already dropped 60 on the xpac so theres no point in not giving healing a shot and maybe things will work out. if shits FUBAR at least the devs actually listen to players about stuff like this

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Congrats to Summoner for finally becoming a Real Boy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Argas posted:

God drat it.

Yoship you had one job. One. Job.

Why does Blizzard 2 still exist when you've made Freeze into a thing that actually does poo poo?

They also kept scathe.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I am super hype for mechanist. Give me charge bars. Give me all the charge bars.

The only downside is that I have to level mechanist from 30. But, you know... still worth it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Oh man, I don't know how I feel about the SCH changes. As people have said, the simplification of it might be alright if the game itself has changed around it, such as there being much more damage requiring more healing, leading it less time spent on the now boring dps moves. But I'm going to miss how it felt: it felt really tactical and high APM, and now that's gone.

Speaking of high APM and tactical, it looks like one of my favorite things about DRK, Dark Arts (controversial I know) has been moved over to GNB instead, so I might need to consider moving to them if the DRK's new shadowclone and such isn't good enough.

MCH changes look interesting but I still have no idea where flamethrower fits in the rotation.

Basically what I'm afraid of is that the complexity of some of the classes have been filed down too strongly in the name of balancing homogenization. I kinda liked how some classes were simpler and straightforward for beginners (RDM, for example) while other classes were more complex for people who just enjoy complexity for the heck of it. Like switching difficultly modes. I can see how it would be annoying for people who like the aesthetics of a class, but not the complexity of it, however.

In light of the SCH changes, maybe I should move to AST? Haven't tried it, but maybe the cards and such will give me that tactical feel back?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
If damage intake in dungeons and easy max level content is high enough that healing throughput is interesting on its own, then the game will be drastically more difficult to the point that it will be an issue. The game has always been very easy to heal in that level of content and raising that bar will cause a lot of people to run straight into it. They wouldn't be happy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
New summoner looks pretty great. All your pets are instant cast on a 10 second cooldown. Ifrit is single target. Garuda is AOE. Titan exists. Your cooldown rotation seems to be Dreadwyrm-->Bahamut-->Firebird-->Phoenix without needing to worry about turning aether into dreadwyrm aether or not.
Bane doesn't cost Aether anymore, and also spreads Tridisaster(Which lasts 30 seconds).

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

My brother pointed out you could use flamethrower between spread shots so it probably goes somewhere in there when you don't have richochets.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

Gorelab posted:

I'm vaguely surprised TCJ didn't get a pass to remove some of the clunk from it.

It doesn’t cost ninki anymore so it’s at least slightly less painful to get to line up with raid DPS buffs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about others but I like all the changes to SCH except the loss of bane/shadow flare. And even then, I really won't miss shadow flare, I haven't liked using it since it got changed to a cooldown.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Minrad posted:

also, for anyone who enjoys salt, the balance discord healer chat seems pretty peeved right now. lots of career healers forsaking the game and writing it off.

I'm pretty much at that point honestly. I'm really tempted to just throw my account on PlayerAuctions or SA Mart; a Balmung character that's level 70 on everything and has O12S clears, respectable parses, and i400 healers (lol) and casters has to be worth something, right?

I'm just kind of done at this point. I know I'm being melodramatic and whiny but it kind of hurts to realize that a game you love and have thousands of hours and lots of friends in just isn't for you anymore.

Maybe they'll partially unfuck things in patches, but this feels like such a deliberate crippling and stripping down of the entire role that I don't see it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I like the PLD pruning. I can also understand the healer anger. Seems they forgot they existed completely this time around. I may main AST just so my friend that does main healer doesn't quit in despair.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I know I'm being melodramatic and whiny but it kind of hurts to realize that a game you love and have thousands of hours and lots of friends in just isn't for you anymore.

I don't think you are honestly. I mean, you see every other job get this awesome new poo poo and fix things that made their core gameplay kind of poop, meanwhile healers got their damage abilities renamed or now they just don't have to fish for the one card out of a deck that was the only good one. I can see why they feel bad right now. And it sucks.

I always had a soft spot for healers and tanked 100% in defensive stance sometimes just so they could nuke a little bit more on bullshit.

Givin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i don't think they should let people play mch if they can't even remember what the class is called :colbert: