Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nyttyn posted:

This situation probably wouldn't be as heated as it is if this wasn't piggy backing off of two expansions of no new jobs for healers, with the given reasoning being that they had to re-balance them first.

Now all we can really do beyond bitch is wait for encounter design and hope the healers wind up feeling still different and interesting in practice.

also I hope they just amped up tank threat generation to WoW levels of threat because now that stance dancing is gone there's really no reason for aggro to be a pressing concern beyond "make sure the tank smacks it first."

I mean if you genuinely think every thing is doomed and healers will be hated and they intend to replace healers with npcs and all the thing a people are saying then it might be a good idea to skip this expansion and see if it is fixed by the next because it seems to assume a level of malicious hatred rather than just disagreement on balance.

I don't think it is wrong for people to be annoyed but some of the things being said in this thread are bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Also they completely removed Quickened Aetherflow, which was the best change SCH got in SB. Going back to 1m long Aetherflows is going to feel awful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are two abilities that don't show up in AST's Gamerescape's tooltip image.

The top, based on other leaks, is Celestial Intersection. It's basically an Aspected Benefic but with the alternate stance applied. 30s cooldown, rad as hell.
The second seems to be Horoscope. Buffs party with Horoscope for 10s. Enhances the effect if they're hit by any Helios for 10 more seconds. Then reading the cards a second time will restore HP for those affected. I think that's just recasting Horoscope rather than carding, but I can't tell.

The subreddit has a collection of tooltips and such too.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Female DRG AF4 is some loving bullshit.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got into the photoshop again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just know there's going to be so many "We Fall" shitposts. Especially about that tightrope.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you genuinely think every thing is doomed and healers will be hated and they intend to replace healers with npcs and all the thing a people are saying then it might be a good idea to skip this expansion and see if it is fixed by the next because it seems to assume a level of malicious hatred rather than just disagreement on balance.

Intentionally breaking a job you can't figure out how to balance is absolutely a thing game developers do; League of Legends used to do it as routine. I'd like to think that the XIV team is better than Riot, but I'm not exactly confident in that right now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Also they completely removed Quickened Aetherflow, which was the best change SCH got in SB. Going back to 1m long Aetherflows is going to feel awful.

Without Energy Drain though will you really be spending Aetherflow that quick?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

Yes. Personally, I only ever used energy drain at times where fairy does all of the work. If there's healing to be done, lustrate/excog/incom is always the correct choice, and having 4 instead of 3 per minute is a 33% increase in free healing output :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Intentionally breaking a job you can't figure out how to balance is absolutely a thing game developers do; League of Legends used to do it as routine. I'd like to think that the XIV team is better than Riot, but I'm not exactly confident in that right now.

It's absolutely the right move. If you can't balance something the solution isn't to keep loving it up over and over, it's to build something you can balance.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Yes, because healing with GCDs on SCH is an awful idea in 99% of situations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Although, I guess with the heavy nerf on Embrace, dissipation might get used more now?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I only ever really used energy drain to dump aetherflow and get mp back and maybe that won’t be necessary anymore

without knowing how the new aetherflow works in practice it’s hard to get all bent out of shape about it

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fair enough, my scholar play has always been for casual content only and I never really did much with it. But it makes sense when you put it like that.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Oxyclean posted:

Dancer is aiming:

Lol I know Rdps uses aiming, but...really? Ninja and Dragoon still have their own drops just to gently caress everyone else over every raid?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Yes, because healing with GCDs on SCH is an awful idea in 99% of situations.

Just yesterday it was being argued that Enegy Drain is absolutely central to Scholar's DPS

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Magil Zeal posted:

You'd be surprised how often I burn Excogitation and Lustrates to keep people up. Granted, this was mostly is response to SCH shield feeling super weak in SB which they've addressed (in spades!) so we'll see

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

UHD posted:

I only ever really used energy drain to dump aetherflow and get mp back and maybe that won’t be necessary anymore

without knowing how the new aetherflow works in practice it’s hard to get all bent out of shape about it

I mean. We do know how new Aetherflow works. It's a 1m CD that's used on all the same things it's used on currently and can only be used in combat. There aren't radical changes to it. (Except the bizarre decision to make it combat only)

ImpAtom posted:

Just yesterday it was being argued that Enegy Drain is absolutely central to Scholar's DPS

That's because Energy Drain was deliberately used as a Aetherflow dump during the last 5/10/15s of Aetherflow to reset the CD. It wasn't used before that (outside of the opener, where you had 6 Aetherflow in stock) because of the risks of spending Aetherflow too early.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 29, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair even in savage content there's phases where you don't heal a lot and energy drain gets used there to advance aetherflow/dps/get some mp without wasting stacks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They should really switch to a token system for exclusive dungeon gear, I really wanted the Skallic Striking set but could never get the last piece or two to drop after countless runs of one of my least favorite dungeons.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Also disappointing with Scholar, I had been working my way up to 70 on it (currently 67) but the new changes seem really uninteresting.

I am not an excellent healer, and as a result I often am not fully taking advantage of my kit. I will try to keep my dots up on bosses and everyone alive, but unless the fairy was covering the healing 100% I always knew there were better ways I could be optimizing and doing more damage. The new setup seems so basic in comparison I feel like my brain is just going to turn off during in most dungeons with no real impact on my healing or damage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saigyouji posted:

I mean. We do know how new Aetherflow works. It's a 1m CD that's used on all the same things it's used on currently and can only be used in combat. There aren't radical changes to it. (Except the bizarre decision to make it combat only)

i'm really mad it doesn't have charges lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rastan Beeza posted:

Lol I know Rdps uses aiming, but...really? Ninja and Dragoon still have their own drops just to gently caress everyone else over every raid?

It took ten years for WoW to solve the problem of int plate.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arist posted:

They should really switch to a token system for exclusive dungeon gear, I really wanted the Skallic Striking set but could never get the last piece or two to drop after countless runs of one of my least favorite dungeons.

At the least, you can usually solo the previous expansion's dungeons fairly easily once you gear up something like WAR or DRK a bit.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Saw in a video that porting to a same zone aether cost 200g. Is it 100 in Stormblood? I forgot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truga posted:

To be fair even in savage content there's phases where you don't heal a lot and energy drain gets used there to advance aetherflow/dps/get some mp without wasting stacks.

But that is different from what was being argued.

It feels like Scholar arguments boil down to "every change ever is bad" even when it is contradictory. That or a lot of people don't understand how to play Scholar even in Sav/Ex content which is a problem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

But that is different from what was being argued.

It feels like Scholar arguments boil down to "every change ever is bad" even when it is contradictory. That or a lot of people don't understand how to play Scholar even in Sav/Ex content which is a problem.

It can be both. You use aetherflow primarily to heal but it is a pretty decent chunk of dps because you don't constantly heal throughout the entire fight.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it is wrong for people to be annoyed but some of the things being said in this thread are bonkers.

Nah I don't think things are doomed, I just think it's very understandable to feel pessimistic looking at this initially from the understanding that this is after a full expansion worth of them kicking the healer can down the road, and that this is what we will have to deal with for a full expansion because the team can only do so many changes so fast. If anyone likes the direction things are going, great for them of course! But there's absolutely a level below "we're doomed forever and healer is being deleted" but above "everything is fine" that can be considered reasonable given the context leading into these changes that probably would not be considered reasonable if this had launched with stormblood instead of after it.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Givin posted:

Saw in a video that porting to a same zone aether cost 200g. Is it 100 in Stormblood? I forgot.

minimum is 100g in SB, yeah

the question is whether they got rid of the 999g cap

how far is it to another dimension, anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nyttyn posted:

Nah I don't think things are doomed, I just think it's very understandable to feel pessimistic looking at this initially from the understanding that this is after a full expansion worth of them kicking the healer can down the road, and that this is what we will have to deal with for a full expansion because the team can only do so many changes so fast. If anyone likes the direction things are going, great for them of course! But there's absolutely a level below "we're doomed forever and healer is being deleted" but above "everything is fine" that can be considered reasonable given the context leading into these changes that probably would not be considered reasonable if this had launched with stormblood instead of after it.

The thing is that even the most extremely pessimistic view is that healers will hit fewer DPS buttons. Not that they will be unplayable or even bad. Yet it is being treated like the end of days. It feels extreme. People whose favorite classes are being fully reworked are less pessimistic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's because healers in this game represented a different design philosophy than most trifecta games and now these changes are being seen as a push towards being more in line with the standard, with damage as an afterthought and not something a healer would actively push towards doing well. i get that not every healer cares about that since most parse abysmally anyway but its still A Thing that was unique and interesting about ffxiv. Plus, other trifectas that have damage as an afterthought have encounters where you need to work to heal through them, whereas in ffxiv all non-raid content is a snoozefest to heal through unless you fall asleep at the keyboard. This doesn't bother me as much because I heal on AST and I like the card minigame (and I don't care about the cards being changed - having to sift through them for damage types to get global buffs sounds fine to me in exchange for not getting 4 ewers in a row or whatever) but SCH's big thing was handling a bunch of little optimizations while healing ogcd and all of those little optimizations have been pruned away.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Did anyone notice the potency drop on Holy (140) and Gravity (130)?

That's the most disappointing thing I see here, and seems unnecessary with all the extra AoE abilities dps get.

Oh well. WHM and AST still both look overall better.

They don't have falloff anymore though, so at 5+ targets it's actually a buff which is when you'd be using them anyways.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Let people vent imo. The news posts are only a few hours old and the healer changes are not insignificant. Might play different when ShB launches but emotional reactions are valid, especially for the first day or so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Impermanent posted:

it's because healers in this game represented a different design philosophy than most trifecta games and now these changes are being seen as a push towards being more in line with the standard, with damage as an afterthought and not something a healer would actively push towards doing well. i get that not every healer cares about that since most parse abysmally anyway but its still A Thing that was unique and interesting about ffxiv. Plus, other trifectas that have damage as an afterthought have encounters where you need to work to heal through them, whereas in ffxiv all non-raid content is a snoozefest to heal through unless you fall asleep at the keyboard. This doesn't bother me as much because I heal on AST and I like the card minigame (and I don't care about the cards being changed - having to sift through them for damage types to get global buffs sounds fine to me in exchange for not getting 4 ewers in a row or whatever) but SCH's big thing was handling a bunch of little optimizations while healing ogcd and all of those little optimizations have been pruned away.

But that isn't going away? 2 out of 3 healers have pretty much the exact same buttons as before? Healers will still DPS as much or little as they were before

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Klades posted:

"Surely they learned their lesson with chakra in HW and they didn't just give SAM a move they can only use after extended downtime"

Whelp gently caress me I guess

At least the rest of the kit looks good.

It's fine. It's not great, but I was thinking about it the other day and if I had access to that ability in current content I would typically use it at full blast at least once a dungeon and multiple times a raid. Also, why I am sure it's going to work in the dumb way (1 meditation charge every time you get a tick of kenki regen), if it was 1 charge a second and full power after 5 you could get a lot of use out of it.

Unrelated, it's interesting to me that the dnc abilities still have fall off on their AoE.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 29, 2019

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Next person that wants to go lol energy drain has to post their O12S parses, or something from an Ultimate, or at least a selfie with an Omega or Ultimate Codex. Hell, I'll start myself with a picture that more-or-less represents how I feel right now.

Ironically, lol energy drain is a semi-correct opinion now; it's a lot less important since they just straight up deleted Quickened Aetherflow, which I didn't notice until now. Christ, to complete my Riot analogy from before, they really did go full Evelynn.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how I feel about the new card system for AST :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Next person that wants to go lol energy drain has to post their O12S parses, or something from an Ultimate, or at least a selfie with an Omega or Ultimate Codex. Hell, I'll start myself with a picture that more-or-less represents how I feel right now.

Ironically, lol energy drain is a semi-correct opinion now; it's a lot less important since they just straight up deleted Quickened Aetherflow, which I didn't notice until now. Christ, to complete my Riot analogy from before, they really did go full Evelynn.

Among other things you can't just balance a class around people who finish the hardest content in a game like this.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
RIP healers, and with that possibly the end of what used to be a fairly healthy end game scene, it was fun while it lasted, can't help but feel expansion looking worse for every bit of info released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Not to distract from SCH chat, which is important, but anyone else get the feeling that GNB is PLD but better?