Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What are the BLM changes like? It's very different from other classes design-wise so I'm curious to see what they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ice is free to cast, single target foul, and a very easy aoe rotation now that freeze gives a heart. Also a finisher in despair for single target fires.
Also a gcd that gives them 1 heart stack and instantly puts them into ice.

Basically the same class but with a bunch of good minor improvement.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 29, 2019

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

FactsAreUseless posted:

What are the BLM changes like? It's very different from other classes design-wise so I'm curious to see what they've done.

Your spells are bigger. You use Freeze now instead of Blizz2 for when you don't have Blizz4 available. You have a different button to push instead of Transpose in 5.0

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

FactsAreUseless posted:

They’ve added a fire-based finisher to each astral cycle, allowed you to “miss” a Foul or Foul equivalent at no cost, and given you a way to charge up umbral hearts while the boss is missing.

Edit: And you can use Freeze instead of B4 when AoEing.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 29, 2019

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you like BLM the new stuff is more of what you love. If you dont like BLM you still won't like it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel like BLM could in theory hold onto Polygot charges for movement phases since Xenoglossy is instant cast. You're not as pressured to spend them since you can save them up for a while.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Magil Zeal posted:

I feel like BLM could in theory hold onto Polygot charges for movement phases since Xenoglossy is instant cast. You're not as pressured to spend them since you can save them up for a while.

Xenoglossy being instant combined with 2 polygot charges is going to be great for this reason. It means you're much more likely to have something you can cast while on the move.

Overall the stacking of charges is one of my favorite new features for most of the classes.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

BLM could even do that before ShB because polyglot ticked regardless if you had used it or not so as long as you spent it seconds before it ticked over you never lost it. The 2 stacks just means now you save it to line it up with trick, in theory you could do 3 xenoglossy casts in a single trick attack if you line it up right.

Edit: Whoops, misread. The point about trick still stands though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

If you like BLM the new stuff is more of what you love. If you dont like BLM you still won't like it.
I love BLM, which is why I was curious what they would change. It's in a good place at the end of Stormblood, without the immediate necessary changes of a classic like MCH.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that even the most extremely pessimistic view is that healers will hit fewer DPS buttons. Not that they will be unplayable or even bad. Yet it is being treated like the end of days. It feels extreme. People whose favorite classes are being fully reworked are less pessimistic.

i'm guessing you didn't actually look at the scholar changes and just wanted to be contrarian without thinking about them or something?

I wish scholar hitting fewer dps buttons was the pessimistic view my dude, they got about a dozen nerfs total.

1. Miasma, Shadow Flare, Energy drain, and Bane are all gone, and their aoe ability lost the only distinguishing thing about it. That's a really severe trimming. You can slap Chain strategem getting nerfed into this pile.
2. Embrace received another large potency nerf, and Rouse is gone.
3. Fairy abilities are now oGCD abilities, meaning they can longer be clipped into your regular casts.
4. Fey Covenant is gone, on top of Largesse's removal
5. Embrace can no longer be controlled or macrod
6. Selene is now just a reskin of Eos, which is another tiny knock to Sch's utility on top of the interrupt likely have finally been relevant with the changes to the interrupt system.
7. Seraph has the same exact problems as Fey Union did at Stormblood launch. It's incredibly slow and clunky (it's a 5 second animation that will be eating an Embrace you can no longer control
8. Oh speaking of Fey Union it also ate a substantial potency nerf for some reason.
9. Enhanced Aetherflow is gone, so that's less fairy gauge and less use of oGCD abilities across the board.
10. Critlo spreading with deployment tactics ate a nerf, as well.

that's all coming down the pipe with what's objectively nerfs to Whm and Ast, though their nerfs are not as severe, after being told two expansions in a row that sorry nothing can be done for healer gameplay until things are balanced, no new jobs and no major reworks, please look forward to it.

and the worst part is it doesn't even address healer balance issues. sch/ast will still be stronger than whm. so we're just gonna keep re-doing this every two years, i guess, until healers actually say enough and quit.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that will never happen tho

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yoshida casually dismissing 1.0 fans and Meteor Survivors in new interview still concerns me

YoshiP posted:

First, to answer about removing the job restrictions, unfortunately, we don’t intend to remove them. The reason is simple. For players who have played other Final Fantasy titles, they’ll easily recognize these gear designs as a way to identify a particular job...You wouldn’t want to see someone carrying an axe casting black magic. You’d wonder: What the hell kind of game is this?

Despite the fact this was possible in 1.0 to an extreme degree (that version of the game had very good character customization), AND, to some degree, ARR (Marauders used to actually be more powerful than Warriors pre-heavensward), it seems Shadowbringers will continue its trend of rejecting 1.0 players and Meteor Survivors like me who remember the good old days of 1.0 and FF11 where we were free to be different.

The trend of being the same continues, and Yoshida seems intent on keeping up the illusion different classes are different, but every class will be the same in the end.

One Ninja must always be the same as another Ninja, different is not allowed. Specs? Leave that to the classes. Oh wait, we won't support class-content anymore, jobs only.

I was hoping Shadowbringers would be a return to form or perhaps give us 1.0 players at least something to remember the good old days, but it seems Yoshida is comfortable leaving us in the dark.

It concerns me still.

To those of you out there who still yearn for the old days, if you're still around this sub, you are not alone. The era of 'Shoulds' still lingers. Everyone 'should' rather than 'could'.

-----

1.0 had potential. it just didn't have enough time in the oven to realize it.

quests were barren.'

but the character customization was spot on. if you wanted to be a pugilist casting white magic, or a thamaturge tank, there was nothing stopping you from doing that.

i want to bring the player, not the class.

-----

Yes, Fans who appreciate Tanaka's design philosophy still exist out there, shocking I know. He might be out of Square Enix now, but his legacy still lingers.

-----

The reality doesn't match what you think.

Square rushed 1.0 out the door. This is the financial reality. Perhaps Tanaka's vision was too bold for the budget he was given, but he took for the fall for something that wasn't his fault.

If you actually review the history of the game, you will find yourself coming to truths that don't match what you were explicitly told. Reading between the lines is an important skill.

----

To be honest, it could be. It's been so many years now. And even FF11 doesn't match how it used to be.

We just have to sit and wait for that era of games to come about again. Depressing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really sick of the OF quotes gimmick

KoB
May 1, 2009
DRK was always a little too finiky for me but its looking like ALL the tanks will be dope. Ill probably take WAR to 80 initially but Im very excited to get them all to 80 and see how they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minrad posted:

i'm guessing you didn't actually look at the scholar changes and just wanted to be contrarian without thinking about them or something?

I wish scholar hitting fewer dps buttons was the pessimistic view my dude, they got about a dozen nerfs total.

1. Miasma, Shadow Flare, Energy drain, and Bane are all gone, and their aoe ability lost the only distinguishing thing about it. That's a really severe trimming. You can slap Chain strategem getting nerfed into this pile.
2. Embrace received another large potency nerf, and Rouse is gone.
3. Fairy abilities are now oGCD abilities, meaning they can longer be clipped into your regular casts.
4. Fey Covenant is gone, on top of Largesse's removal
5. Embrace can no longer be controlled or macrod
6. Selene is now just a reskin of Eos, which is another tiny knock to Sch's utility on top of the interrupt likely have finally been relevant with the changes to the interrupt system.
7. Seraph has the same exact problems as Fey Union did at Stormblood launch. It's incredibly slow and clunky (it's a 5 second animation that will be eating an Embrace you can no longer control
8. Oh speaking of Fey Union it also ate a substantial potency nerf for some reason.
9. Enhanced Aetherflow is gone, so that's less fairy gauge and less use of oGCD abilities across the board.
10. Critlo spreading with deployment tactics ate a nerf, as well.

that's all coming down the pipe with what's objectively nerfs to Whm and Ast, though their nerfs are not as severe, after being told two expansions in a row that sorry nothing can be done for healer gameplay until things are balanced, no new jobs and no major reworks, please look forward to it.

and the worst part is it doesn't even address healer balance issues. sch/ast will still be stronger than whm. so we're just gonna keep re-doing this every two years, i guess, until healers actually say enough and quit.

Among other things A: these are not final numbers and B: They have said over and over that potency is not the same between sb and Shb

Also nerfs are not the same as "unplayable bad". Especially as a lot of what you mentioned is minor healing nerfs or connects to other features. (Ie Critlo on demand.)

If you feel that way then quit. As it stands it seems more like you are upset over the idea of nerfs rather than the class being unplayable trash

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mordiceius posted:

<clearly an impostor>

Who the hell are you, and what the hell have you done with the real, not-disclosing OF posts Mord?!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Adlo got buffed and you can guarantee crits now with recitation so spreading it through deployment tactics, combined with how you can now stack your shields with Seraphs would be loving broken as all hell.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I don't understand any of that, but I think I may be happier that way.

Also I got a look at the trust system and apparently party members will converse and
interact with eachother, so if you are grinding dungeons for levels it may be worth varying party comp for them to see what they say.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DapperDuck posted:

Also don’t get mad at healers for complaining that their brain dead job is getting more drain dead.

eat a dozen assholes, rear end in a top hat

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

DapperDuck posted:

Also don’t get mad at healers for complaining that their brain dead job is getting more drain dead.

Try carrying a party through O12S with an AST who's half asleep; also, go gently caress yourself.

ImpAtom posted:

Among other things A: these are not final numbers and B: They have said over and over that potency is not the same between sb and Shb

Also nerfs are not the same as "unplayable bad". Especially as a lot of what you mentioned is minor healing nerfs or connects to other features. (Ie Critlo on demand.)

If you feel that way then quit. As it stands it seems more like you are upset over the idea of nerfs rather than the class being unplayable trash

Oh, I'm very much going to quit unless they pull a 180 on at least the worst nerfs. Scholar will not have the healing output to keep people alive if they're serious about increasing damage in EX/Savage content. It will be decidedly below WHM and AST in damage even adding in (a nerfed) Chain Strat. Yeah, it might be usable in leveling dungeons, but if you're making a job that can, at best, do those worse than every other job, it might as well be BLU. Limited healers!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cool. Looking forward to you posting in this thread at launch.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Try carrying a party through O12S with an AST who's half asleep; also, go gently caress yourself.

Oh, I'm very much going to quit unless they pull a 180 on at least the worst nerfs. Scholar will not have the healing output to keep people alive if they're serious about increasing damage in EX/Savage content. It will be decidedly below WHM and AST in damage even adding in (a nerfed) Chain Strat. Yeah, it might be usable in leveling dungeons, but if you're making a job that can, at best, do those worse than every other job, it might as well be BLU. Limited healers!

When you quit can I have your stuff? Since you're so good at o12s you gotta have some good gil laying around for raid food.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Who the hell are you, and what the hell have you done with the real, not-disclosing OF posts Mord?!

Lol it’s a Reddit post, that sun is a dumpster fire.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Why are you playing with another healer that isn't actively participating?

Also (not directed at you, but at some comments made today in general) people say stuff like "Oh this means <x> class won't be brought into raids anymore."

How about y'all just play the class you want to play in a static with people who do the same? All classes are viable in the end game and always will be. Remember when the tank for the first UWU clear was a DRK at the time when everyone thought DRK was the worst of the 3 tanks?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

You are far more annoying than any of the healer complaints.

If you think the new Scholar is so great then main it and report back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

You are far more annoying than any of the healer complaints.

If you think the new Scholar is so great then main it and report back.

That was my plan this Exp actually. I did WHM last and SCH this. Even got my Eureka SCH book for that reason.

If I fail to clear content I'll let you know. I am not overly worried.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ImpAtom posted:

It's cool that you can respond to ability deficits and a complete lack of adding more proper healing to SCH to compensate for a potential increase of incoming damage with "well the potency numbers aren't finished" when no one is even directly talking about numbers as opposed to SCH just not having good answers to the situations they're going to be expected to heal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Karasu Tengu posted:

It's cool that you can respond to ability deficits and a complete lack of adding more proper healing to SCH to compensate for a potential increase of incoming damage with "well the potency numbers aren't finished" when no one is even directly talking about numbers as opposed to SCH just not having good answers to the situations they're going to be expected to heal.

Yes. I think you are being massively hyperbolic. SCH will not have trouble healing. At Absolutely worst they will have to devote more time to GCD healing or use Dissipation more.

Do you genuinely think SCH will be unable to heal content? Like REALLY?

I can understand worrying about DPS but somehow we've gone to "Scholar will be Literally useless and is basically a Limited Job"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 29, 2019

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

rip this catgirl simulator

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

can I have your account

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

this thread owns lmao

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
/???? SCH is already the king of ogcd heals and are only getting even more now

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. I think you are being massively hyperbolic. SCH will not have trouble healing. At Absolutely worst they will have to devote more time to GCD healing or use Dissipation more.

Do you genuinely think SCH will be unable to heal content? Like REALLY?

If SCH as we're seeing it is able to heal content WHM is still going to be extremely overequipped for anything, which means they made SCH worse for zero actual gain.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

somepartsareme posted:

/???? SCH is already the king of ogcd heals and are only getting even more now

they are getting less, objectively, by about 25%, and their non-oGCD fairy pet abilities that could be clipped with regular casts are now oGCD locked.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Also (not directed at you, but at some comments made today in general) people say stuff like "Oh this means <x> class won't be brought into raids anymore."

How about y'all just play the class you want to play in a static with people who do the same? All classes are viable in the end game and always will be. Remember when the tank for the first UWU clear was a DRK at the time when everyone thought DRK was the worst of the 3 tanks?

important exchange from the balance rdm channel

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm a bit skeptical about the drk changes mostly because i feel like the new delirium is uninspired and a big burst phase isn't really what i wanted out of the class, but we'll see how it all flows together when i can actually play it

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone who is venting thinks healers are going to be "unplayable bad", more that SCH has been dumbed down to be arguably more boring to play while not actually addressing the "problem" of healer disparity in the first place. The three healers will very likely be very good at healing in all the content... AST in particular I am excited as they got tons of juicy healing tools (Neutral sect seems awesome for a power cooldown)

It's actually kind of funny that WHM, who was originally touted as being the original "beginner" healer due to having the most healing throughput buttons with the simplest damage rotation, has now become the most complex of the healers to play with the most offensive buttons to press.

Though watching footage of SCH doing a run in the new dungeon was just... yikes... It's pretty easy to see why SCH players are upset when every other job got tons of new tools and buttons to play with, while they had most of theirs taken away.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vitamean posted:

important exchange from the balance rdm channel

huge if true

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Overwatch Porn posted:

this thread owns lmao

:hfive:

It's just "nice meltdown" all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I don't think anyone who is venting thinks healers are going to be "unplayable bad", more that SCH has been dumbed down to be arguably more boring to play while not actually addressing the "problem" of healer disparity in the first place. The three healers will very likely be very good at healing in all the content... AST in particular I am excited as they got tons of juicy healing tools (Neutral sect seems awesome for a power cooldown)

It's actually kind of funny that WHM, who was originally touted as being the original "beginner" healer due to having the most healing throughput buttons with the simplest damage rotation, has now become the most complex of the healers to play with the most offensive buttons to press.

Though watching footage of SCH doing a run in the new dungeon was just... yikes... It's pretty easy to see why SCH players are upset when every other job got tons of new tools and buttons to play with, while they had most of theirs taken away.

Multiple people have just argued Scholar will be unplayable weak.