Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

An entire race of doctor robotnicks but they're dinosaurs? Cool

Special guest appearance by the Jim Carrey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Do the leaks have any info on the greatest star wars character, Therm Scissorpunch?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

poisonpill posted:

Lol that he would have just abandoned his child except that he accidentally ran into her and this is seen as an improvement to the plot

It's about family.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I thought the GoT showrunners were starting with the next trilogy, not Episode 9 lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I thought the GoT showrunners were starting with the next trilogy, not Episode 9 lol

lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
How the gently caress is any of this real???

:laffo:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The EU is extremely poo poo, but the ST has managed to outdo its shittiness. loving lol.

Also, lmao that Captain Dickhead Kylo Ren is a "benevolent ruler" after seeing all of his temper tantrums, and lmao that poo poo-for-Brains Hux is considered "cunning."

Just shut these Star Wars down, lol.

https://twitter.com/andfaris94/status/609147047791468544

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
General Hux: the very cunning individual who spent the last film being prank called on the space phone and then getting repeatedly slapped around while crying.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

knuck if u Hux

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So are there any genuine Star Wars fans here who can tell me why the franchise is so obsessed with the Death Star and Death Star-alikes? Seriously after 2 Death Stars, a side movie about the Death Star, and Starkiller Base why are we still going back to this well? Like does it do anything for you guys?

No shame if it does, I like loving Marvel movies and those always end up with the hero fighting somebody with identical powers to the protagonist, I just don't know if I'm missing something and Star Wars fans really are like "gently caress yeah Death Star" no matter the context.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

General Hux: the very cunning individual who spent the last film being prank called on the space phone and then getting repeatedly slapped around while crying.
you basically can't treat that as canon if you want include Hux in your film at all tho. or enjoy Star Wars ever again.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

So are there any genuine Star Wars fans here who can tell me why the franchise is so obsessed with the Death Star and Death Star-alikes?

Most of us are genuine Star Wars fans, or at least were.

Anyway no I don't think endless Death Stars are cool to the core fan base. If anything it's probably aimed at the kind of people who aren't big fans, the kind of people whose only knowledge of star war is "laser swords, Death Star, Darth Vader", to give them something to recognize. Also, creative bankruptcy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

So are there any genuine Star Wars fans here who can tell me why the franchise is so obsessed with the Death Star and Death Star-alikes? Seriously after 2 Death Stars, a side movie about the Death Star, and Starkiller Base why are we still going back to this well? Like does it do anything for you guys?

No shame if it does, I like loving Marvel movies and those always end up with the hero fighting somebody with identical powers to the protagonist, I just don't know if I'm missing something and Star Wars fans really are like "gently caress yeah Death Star" no matter the context.

I'm guessing it's because ultimate superweapons are an excellent trope to draw on for a space opera, and the first movie made the trench run scene exciting as hell. Even ROTJ ends the massive Battle of Endor with blowing up a Death Star by having to fly inside it to blow it up.

The sequel movies haven't done much with it other than use it to emphasize that the First Order = Bad. :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I have never once understood this.

Even the second deathstar, when I was a little kid, watching that for the first time, my mind went "don't think about that too much. Just watch." Although I like star wars and post in this thread about it, I've never read the EU outside of the Wiki site and was not in usegroups or forums discussing things back in the day or what have you, so I'm not sure how big of a 'fan' I am on the spectrum, but I sure as poo poo don't get anything from it other than "ok...more star wars I guess." And I've never noticed anyone who was "more" of a fan just screaming in ecstasy whenever a new giant space globe appeared. It's just that lazy of a plot device. It doesn't have any special meaning or whatever.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

If people buy A, why start trying to sell them not-A?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Anyway no I don't think endless Death Stars are cool to the core fan base. If anything it's probably aimed at the kind of people who aren't big fans, the kind of people whose only knowledge of star war is "laser swords, Death Star, Darth Vader", to give them something to recognize. Also, creative bankruptcy.
See I agree but then I'm like:

Big Beef City posted:

Even the second deathstar, when I was a little kid, watching that for the first time, my mind went "don't think about that too much. Just watch."
:same:

Bogus Adventure posted:

The sequel movies haven't done much with it other than use it to emphasize that the First Order = Bad. :shrug:
It didn't bother me that much in Episode VII or whatever we call it because it was part of the whole "The First Order are metatextually 'bad' Star Wars fans, who just want to recycle what came before but darker and more 'extreme' because they think it makes them cool, deep, and adult" theme that's run through the New Trilogy. What bothered me was that it was used to wipe out the New Republic before we even got a look at it. For a franchise that really wants us to give a crap about who holds military governing power over these planets they're remarkably thin on making us recognize/care about the actual civilizations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They should have just made First Order underestimated underdogs and kept Hux an idiot as he is. Make them basically a neo-nazi gang with rayguns who slip past New Republic and do a terror act, hell even keep a spooky evil guy as the leader who acts from the shadows through propaganda.

In fact just make a pg rated American history x with aliens and rayguns.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Saint Drogo posted:

you basically can't treat that as canon if you want include Hux in your film at all tho. or enjoy Star Wars ever again.

This but anything that happened in The Last Jedi

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

make a pg rated American history x with aliens and rayguns.

Think about saying this out loud with no context to a group of people.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Colonel Cancer posted:

In fact just make a pg rated American history x with aliens and rayguns.

"Now say goodnight!" Hux says as he curbstomps the canon from episode VIII into oblivion.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Edward Norton but with the Rebel Alliance symbol tattooed on his chest

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I like superweapons but "laser blows up planets" is played out as fuuuuuuuck.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chewbacca but it's Ethan Suplee

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Here is a link to the leaked plot outline youtube information

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stBfrU2mr3Y

The information starts at 5:58 before that is justification on why the leak is trustworthy.

General information, which isn't really spoilers but will put you off.

The entire movie is a set up for the new trilogy, nothing that really matters happens, the main quest is to spread information and belief in Luke to the galaxy. The title is a reference to the population believing in hope/jedi/freedom.

Specific plot beats:

Rey the jedi master trains a new generation of jedi, Palpatine is a hologram recording, the movie is a fetch quest where the heroes are looking for an old holonet system to spread hope to the universe by revealing the story of the jedi

So basically its another movie where they do poo poo that doesn't make sense if you've seen any other starwars movies.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

It’s the only interesting unique concept the franchise has aside from laser swords?

Like the concept is cool but painfully under utilized outside of the first film. I know the star base or whatever blew up like twenty planets we never saw in TFA but really who loving cares it had zero effect on the plot.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

504 posted:

The entire movie is a set up for the new trilogy
TLJ p much decided this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow so both of these leaks are really different. Honestly not sure which is worse: the one that is bad because it's ridiculous and stupid, or the one that is bad because it's a shameless setup for other films (and boring).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

It didn't bother me that much in Episode VII or whatever we call it because it was part of the whole "The First Order are metatextually 'bad' Star Wars fans, who just want to recycle what came before but darker and more 'extreme' because they think it makes them cool, deep, and adult" theme that's run through the New Trilogy. What bothered me was that it was used to wipe out the New Republic before we even got a look at it. For a franchise that really wants us to give a crap about who holds military governing power over these planets they're remarkably thin on making us recognize/care about the actual civilizations.

It's a bad story told by a poor storyteller. David Gerrold (Star Trek TOS writer and author) had this to say about JJ's take on Star Trek, and I think it carries over to what he did with TFA:

David Gerrold posted:

You know JJ has a different style of writing and Melinda Snodgrass recently pointed it out and I think she said it brilliantly. What JJ does – and he isn’t the only one, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were doing this in some of their worst pictures – where they get an idea “let’s have the dinosaur do this” or “let’s have the robots do that.” Let’s have this moment on screen. So they would write the story to the action moment – to the blockbuster moment. So you get a series of moments like you are going through a dark ride at Disneyland and it pretends to be a story. But a real story has a character that is growing and you are tracing the emotional journey, not the physical journey. But a lot of the movies being produced by the studios have fallen into the blockbuster trap of we have to have big moments, big blockbuster, CGI, exciting moments. And so what gets sacrificed is the emotional growth of the characters. There is no emotional through line.

The movies want you to see big flashy scenes, but don't do anything to develop the universe or the characters.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

You can kind of excuse the second one in that its real purpose is to draw the rebel fleet into a trap and crush them once and for all, so it makes a degree of sense both from an in-setting perspective as well as dramatically, since it's sending the rebels(and the viewer) into a situation with which they're familiar and then throws a big curveball at them

There's really no point to the one in the sequel trilogy, it's just recycling poo poo because they're no longer in the business of telling cool stories but instead of exploiting IPs, so doing the Death Star but Biggerer playing out in the most straightforward possible way is all they could really think of to do

e: Oh my God I hope that Youtube video is real just for the trainwreck

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 29, 2019

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Colonel Cancer posted:

They should have just made First Order underestimated underdogs and kept Hux an idiot as he is. Make them basically a neo-nazi gang with rayguns who slip past New Republic and do a terror act, hell even keep a spooky evil guy as the leader who acts from the shadows through propaganda.

Some goon spent ten seconds making up a better story for TLJ after he saw the film:

The galaxy is outraged over what the FO did with starkiller and has united, heavily rearmed and is kicking the everloving poo poo out of the FO, because they are a small extremist group that just lost their only powerbase.

Feelings are extremely hostile about force users in general and Holdo is forced to put Luke and Rey under house arrest to pacify the galaxy and for their own safety.

At the end of the film its revealed Holdo is a sith, Snoke her apprentice and the whole FO shenanigans were to trick the New Republic into becoming militaristic and turning against Jedi.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

the kentucky quid posted:

I know the star base or whatever blew up like twenty planets we never saw in TFA but really who loving cares it had zero effect on the plot.

You know you have a homerun of a script when the overwhelming reaction to a planet being destroyed is "hey, was that Corsucant? Or was that a different planet?" and nobody in the theater knows.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's a bad story told by a poor storyteller. David Gerrold (Star Trek TOS writer and author) had this to say about JJ's take on Star Trek, and I think it carries over to what he did with TFA:

The movies want you to see big flashy scenes, but don't do anything to develop the universe or the characters.

This is the first coherent and sensible explanation I’ve seen for why Luke was drinking that alien milk in the last film.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

the kentucky quid posted:

This is the first coherent and sensible explanation I’ve seen for why Luke was drinking that alien milk in the last film.

Granted, it's a good moment

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

504 posted:

Here is a link to the leaked plot outline youtube information

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stBfrU2mr3Y

If that's true, the nerdrage is going to be glorious.

I'm legit impressed by how fast disney has trashed the Star Wars IP. There's a million fun things you could do with it, but not when you write by committee.

(Solo should have been Mission Impossible in Space, and that would have been cool.)

e: Come on, everyone's got a 'what they should have done is...' plot, time to share!

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 29, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chomp8645 posted:

You know you have a homerun of a script when the overwhelming reaction to a planet being destroyed is "hey, was that Corsucant? Or was that a different planet?" and nobody in the theater knows.

Or cares!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What's funny is I really like TLJ but I only think the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff works, and I'm getting the impression none of you guys do at all.

Like setting aside that Luke's arc in TLJ is identical to Wolverine's in the movie Logan, and that disappointing father figures is both the Skywalker and the Star Wars brand, and that Luke's arc is a deliberate and myth-faithful extension of his King Arthur origins, and that ultimately the movie is loud and clear that Luke was wrong, it's a movie that had the balls to go right up to its most dedicated fans and say "Hey, you're adults now and we're after your kids' money. We're gonna get your kid's money. You can come along and accept the changes we're gonna have to make to stay market-relevant, or you can gently caress right off and be like this weiner who won't stop crying about how Luke disappointed him. We're still gonna do what we can to honor the franchise because that's good business, and we're gonna call people who do that the hero and give her all the cool force powers. Your choice."

I mean say what you want about liking it, or even if you think it worked on a technical level (I did), you've got to respect the chutzpah.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
those leaks are awesome and they sound right, because literally nothing happens in these movies. it's fuckin hilarious

like a fuckin billion dollars to make 3 films where nothing happens lol. i cant even remember what the hell last jedi was about other than snoke, a nothing of a character anyway, dies. oh and someone kamakazis a big ship the first order probably has like dozens of. then it ends.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I will die on the hill of "from the jump they should have skipped ahead 50-100 years and picked up with a brand new story that can allude to the original trilogy but otherwise allows the victory of Luke and the gang to stand for a while and lets you make a clean break to do your own thing"

Like you could have the droids still around, maybe Chewy, the Falcon, Luke's lightsaber, poo poo like that, but just simply have everyone be dead outside of maybe bringing back Luke and Yoda to do blue ghost duty. It'd make the story feel a lot less inbred at least

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I will die on the hill of "from the jump they should have skipped ahead 50-100 years and picked up with a brand new story that can allude to the original trilogy but otherwise allows the victory of Luke and the gang to stand for a while and lets you make a clean break to do your own thing"

Like you could have the droids still around, maybe Chewy, the Falcon, Luke's lightsaber, poo poo like that, but just simply have everyone be dead outside of maybe bringing back Luke and Yoda to do blue ghost duty. It'd make the story feel a lot less inbred at least

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

What's funny is I really like TLJ but I only think the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff works, and I'm getting the impression none of you guys do at all.

Like setting aside that Luke's arc in TLJ is identical to Wolverine's in the movie Logan, and that disappointing father figures is both the Skywalker and the Star Wars brand, and that Luke's arc is a deliberate and myth-faithful extension of his King Arthur origins, and that ultimately the movie is loud and clear that Luke was wrong, it's a movie that had the balls to go right up to its most dedicated fans and say "Hey, you're adults now and we're after your kids' money. We're gonna get your kid's money. You can come along and accept the changes we're gonna have to make to stay market-relevant, or you can gently caress right off and be like this weiner who won't stop crying about how Luke disappointed him. We're still gonna do what we can to honor the franchise because that's good business, and we're gonna call people who do that the hero and give her all the cool force powers. Your choice."

I mean say what you want about liking it, or even if you think it worked on a technical level (I did), you've got to respect the chutzpah.

The chemistry's great and the individual scenes work in a vacuum but the problem is there's not enough of it. One of the biggest, gayest effortposts I wrote in a bigger and gayer version of this GBS thread was explaining how I thought it could have been improved, I'll try to find it and repost