Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

I have a 5 hour layover in HKG next month. Is it worth going to see the Tian Tan Buddha or should I just chill in the airport? I've been to HK many times but not Lantau island.

I mean it's alright. it's a gigantic buddha. if you've been to Asia a bunch and seen all kinds of temples and buddhas you might not find it all that remarkable. it is big, for sure, but I went there and took pictures and left pretty quickly.

we spent a lot longer in Tai O, which I personally found more interesting and enjoyable than the big buddha. but ymmv

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's just a large Buddha. I am extremely burned out on and uninterested in seeing any more Buddhas ever but it's up to how you feel about Buddhas. It's not like it's old or anything, it's just big.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
So "here for the temples" can actually be true in other countries. Interesting.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ReindeerF posted:

what country did you think it was only true in?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

I have a 5 hour layover in HKG next month. Is it worth going to see the Tian Tan Buddha or should I just chill in the airport? I've been to HK many times but not Lantau island.

Just come see me

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Buddhism is big in east Asia as well.

I think I’m actually weird one here, I do like to look at different Buddhist architecture and sutras .

Seeing 10+ languages or 大悲咒 or transliterated Pali is interesting

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Buddhism is big in east Asia as well.

I think I’m actually weird one here, I do like to look at different Buddhist architecture and sutras .

Seeing 10+ languages or 大悲咒 or transliterated Pali is interesting

Where is reindeer f from?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's just a large Buddha. I am extremely burned out on and uninterested in seeing any more Buddhas ever but it's up to how you feel about Buddhas. It's not like it's old or anything, it's just big.

It was made in a missile factory in the 1980s, which is kind of cool in its own right. But yeah not as impressive as the huge ones carved out of mountains over a thousand years ago.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Great Autismo! posted:

what country did you think it was only true in?

israel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

How’s Israel these days op

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

fart simpson posted:

is rael.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

fart simpson posted:

Busy putting mooslims in reeducational camp.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tino posted:

Busy putting mooslims in reeducational camp.

he’ll yeah

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
What jobs do most of yall do? Students? English teachers? Any goons employed as software/hardware engineers in the China-sphere?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I know a few software engineers but they are lurkers. And they are bouncing in and out of china

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

toadoftoadhall posted:

What jobs do most of yall do? Students? English teachers? Any goons employed as software/hardware engineers in the China-sphere?

what part of sexpat do you not understand

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

just lol if you haven't quit your job

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015

sincx posted:

Update to this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555571&pagenumber=339&perpage=40#post494291082
and this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555571&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=340#post494524621

The recruiter asked management, who insisted the job be based out of Taiwan, so I had to decline.

Ended up getting another 'ol US-based job.

Sigh.

Were you fishing for tech jobs in the Sinosphere , or pure chance that a Taiwanese recruiter contacted you?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sincx posted:

Update to this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555571&pagenumber=339&perpage=40#post494291082
and this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555571&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=340#post494524621

The recruiter asked management, who insisted the job be based out of Taiwan, so I had to decline.

Ended up getting another 'ol US-based job.

Sigh.

Did you not just ask for a decent salary or what. It would have been cool.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
lol if you don't get out of the US ASAP given the chance

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol if you don't get out of the US ASAP given the chance

you really should sit this one out

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sincx posted:

Yeah the US is sucking, but when I think geopolitical and economic stability, Taiwan isn't at the top of my list.

Also there's no way the Taiwanese company would be paying anything close to the salary I ended up getting.

Yeah was gonna make a crack about how even Taiwan is better than the US, though in reality Taiwan could of course explode (figuratively or literally!) in messier ways quicker than even the US is likely to

I'm looking to move to Taiwan in the next couple of years and the salaries there are generally less than inspiring. I'm hoping I can get my current firm to let me work remotely, which is actually not outside of the realm of possibility.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

Yeah the US is sucking

yeah, gently caress living in a wealthy first world country! that's the worst! give me four random countries, I'm sure I'll find one much better than this or Taiwan!

where you guys moving, I'll follow!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran four more, in case no one is moving yet

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

toadoftoadhall posted:

Taiwanese history teacher

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'd take Ulaanbaatar, or maybe Saint Barthéleme

And US has its high points but there are some things that mean I'd never live there permanently

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I’m a product manager

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

affordable health care
affordable rent
affordable vacations

nah I love my 2 hour commute and school shootings :911:

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

toadoftoadhall posted:

I'm Agile™

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

im fart ssimpsons pimp

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

I'd take Ulaanbaatar, or maybe Saint Barthéleme

And US has its high points but there are some things that mean I'd never live there permanently

st. Barts would be better than Ulaanbaatar. when I was in Ulaanbaatar, it had all the worst parts of china magnified with none of the benefits. Mongolia was a cool country to visit but if you tripled my salary I still wouldn't move there over the us.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

The Great Autismo! posted:

st. Barts would be better than Ulaanbaatar. when I was in Ulaanbaatar, it had all the worst parts of china magnified with none of the benefits. Mongolia was a cool country to visit but if you tripled my salary I still wouldn't move there over the us.

I heard it has the worst pollution in the world. Babies are dying at alarming rate. Baby lungs can't breath the air

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

That's a shame. 2 years a go there was a big song and dance about how much it had been developed

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Developed for mining companies to gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So, uh anything I should be concerned about as a US citizen traveling to China (and Tibet) in August? Going with a tour group to Tibet, which is what I am most concerned about. I am hoping they don't cancel/suspend permits for US citizens as part of the current diplomatic issues going on.

Should I just revert to my usual response to traveling in countries with hostile perceptions to the US and say that I am Canadian? The Chinese currently love the Canadians, right?