Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Revisiting score talk, the new record for gold that I've seen earned in a Frontline match was by Jax tonight at 740g on Camp. I believe it ended with his team edging out a win with the other team having sub 10 tickets left. He had something like 109 kills and 7 deaths. It was a pretty impressive performance. Dude is surgical with the Zwei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

I have a dumb question:

How many heavy leg options are in the game?

I have a vague memory of there being more than three just after launch but I only have access to three now. I dismissed it as a glitch or something, however I just read a bug report in the official forums of someone who just had the same thing happen to them. :confuoot:
Well, currently there are only three full plate legs. Six Rank 2 legs (Two of them are 'Like that other one, but with knee pads!' :v:), and three rank 1 legs. With six rank zero cloth shorts/pants.

I can understand legs having the least options because they have the least mechanical impact, but come oooooon.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

cerebral posted:

Revisiting score talk, the new record for gold that I've seen earned in a Frontline match was by Jax tonight at 740g on Camp. I believe it ended with his team edging out a win with the other team having sub 10 tickets left. He had something like 109 kills and 7 deaths. It was a pretty impressive performance. Dude is surgical with the Zwei.

Is gold based on your score? I’ve only had the game for a few days and haven’t noticed.

I’m having fun being a boosted mercy main professional bag tosser. :shobon:

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

Is gold based on your score? I’ve only had the game for a few days and haven’t noticed.

I’m having fun being a boosted mercy main professional bag tosser. :shobon:

Time in game and score.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

cerebral posted:

Jax got 950 gold the other day, and I was messing around on a frontline server with only 4 other players and got 990 gold at the end of it haha

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's some arcane mix of score, time spent alive, and perhaps some data we can't access like some kind of contribution modifier or how well you're doing compared to the amount of people on your team or something. I've sat in the back of a frontline for an entire game, alive 100% of the time, and not gotten as much money as I did when I ending games like halfway up the scoreboard, but I've also made less money than that by topping the board in short games.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Section Z posted:

Well, currently there are only three full plate legs. Six Rank 2 legs (Two of them are 'Like that other one, but with knee pads!' :v:), and three rank 1 legs. With six rank zero cloth shorts/pants.

I can understand legs having the least options because they have the least mechanical impact, but come oooooon.

Thanks and I agree, how can I play dolly dressup without a proper selection of shiny pants?? I can barely even make a decent Pontifical Swiss Guard with this selection.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think the gold/xp is some RNG thing

Orv
May 4, 2011
No it's pretty clearly linear with score and linear with time but there's more to it than just those elements, either in combination or with a third point.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
its weird but whenever I lay a thousand medicbags nobody loving uses them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My bad, I use tenacious a lot and I feel bad using a medic bag when I can stand around a little bit and save it for someone else

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I run tenacious on most all my builds, but I still grab a med pack every time I can just to give the person some points.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Take the medbag even if you have tenacious.

It takes 1s and you're back ready to fight.

Passive health regen only starts after 5.5s. Healing to full from 1 health takes 13.8s in total. With tenacious you only shave about 3.2s to have to wait ~10.6s in total.

Lost opportunity cost of up to 9.6s of fighting with tenacious is a really bad trade to not taking the medbag.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Medbag and the repair hammers are probably the most powerful 1-2 points you could spend for team-fighting potential.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm having lots of fun running my med bag/maul battle priest. I was running 1/2/2 for speed but might switch to 2/2/1 which is a bit of speed trade off. Sometimes I wreck poo poo with the maul sometimes I get poo poo on. The hardest thing is fighting fast weapons not being able to respond after a parry. I wish there was an unflinching perk so that you could finish your swing. Would have to be frontline only as 1 on 1 it would be broken.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

cerebral posted:

I just had 940 on a camp map where we were blue and took them to the spawn and then got beaten back to right past the river. I think round length + score determines $$$$

Orv
May 4, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

i'm having lots of fun running my med bag/maul battle priest. I was running 1/2/2 for speed but might switch to 2/2/1 which is a bit of speed trade off. Sometimes I wreck poo poo with the maul sometimes I get poo poo on. The hardest thing is fighting fast weapons not being able to respond after a parry. I wish there was an unflinching perk so that you could finish your swing. Would have to be frontline only as 1 on 1 it would be broken.

Ripostes have flinch armor. If you do a riposte the 240 rose will become hollow briefly. Doing them requires that you input the attack at basically the same time as you parry.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Orv posted:

Ripostes have flinch armor. If you do a riposte the 240 rose will become hollow briefly. Doing them requires that you input the attack at basically the same time as you parry.

I thought I was having horrible lag and that's how people were able to parry and then hit me with slow rear end weapons before I could get a swing off with something faster. You're saying there's a mechanic to parry and start an attack at the same time, basically?

Sure would be cool if poo poo like this was mentioned anywhere in game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Gate posted:

I thought I was having horrible lag and that's how people were able to parry and then hit me with slow rear end weapons before I could get a swing off with something faster. You're saying there's a mechanic to parry and start an attack at the same time, basically?

Sure would be cool if poo poo like this was mentioned anywhere in game.

It's taught you to (somewhat poorly, admittedly) in the tutorial. And yes, if someone ripostes then you have to block or dodge their swing or you will always eat it. Ripostes are also faster.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Orv posted:

It's taught you to (somewhat poorly, admittedly) in the tutorial. And yes, if someone ripostes then you have to block or dodge their swing or you will always eat it. Ripostes are also faster.

Is it? I've done the tutorial and I don't recall that at all. They go through combos, parry, and chambering, but I don't remember anything about a riposte or even mentioning that if you parry you can "combo" in an attack or however it works.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Gate posted:

Is it? I've done the tutorial and I don't recall that at all. They go through combos, parry, and chambering, but I don't remember anything about a riposte or even mentioning that if you parry you can "combo" in an attack or however it works.

I don't think the tutorial mentions ripostes being un-flinchable, but it absolutely teaches you to do them. There's a part where you specifically have to do a riposte like three times as the instructor swings at you.
EDIT: Actually just once, but still.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 30, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Orv posted:

Also if you run 2/1/x instead of 1/2/x, no attack in the game except another maul hitting you in the head will stop your riposte if you begin it at 100 health.

2/1/1 lets you meet the breakpoints for being able to take 2 hits for anything in the game except a maul. Only Executioner's sword can 1-shot a 0-armor leg. 1/2/x lets you get 1-shot by a bunch of popular weapons like the zweihander, but it is better than 2/1/x versus light weapons like a short spear.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 30, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the corollary to ripostes being unflinchable seems to me that they're also extremely predictable to block

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Yah the only mixup you get with a riposte is accel vs dragging your swing. Riposte stabs are 100% predictable.

However, if you riposte right when another enemy is attacking who does not stop their attack, you can get a hit attempt on them that they cannot parry or chamber. Bloodlust and maul is really good for this where you punish someone for daring to attack you if you could have riposte'd.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Cowcaster posted:

the corollary to ripostes being unflinchable seems to me that they're also extremely predictable to block

Ripostes when you're getting gang banged by a bunch of overzealous dudes is how I regularly get multikills.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

This game is going to become a major slog as more of the community becomes proficient in the toolkit, if they don't make changes. You can already see it in some matches. 2 toolkits can lockdown entire areas of the map, especially when you get outside of the actual play area and hole up. I've seen people hole up on the archer tower on mountain pass and it's basically impossible for them to die aside from some crazy counter archer bullshit. Barricades at the bottom, spikes at the top, with balista's up top.

Just arc daggers into the ballista man's head from downtown

https://giphy.com/gifs/giEvrpqEQL5Crh2M8g

I will fully admit that was a very lucky throw and will likely never happen again.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ripostes when you're getting gang banged by a bunch of overzealous dudes is how I regularly get multikills.

Watching your weapon drag through multiple faces is definitely one of the more :discourse: moments of the game.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I cannot figure out at all how to turn a riposte or chamber into an advantage in a 1v1 situation but yea they are absolutely perfect for beheading the overzealous swarm of people desperately swinging at you. Got my first triple decapitation last night by chambering a slow attack and then just spinning as fast as possible. This was with the bastard sword, even. A lot of my kills are from hapless people that I target switched to, it just works so well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah the unflinchable property isn't really useful for a duel unless your opponent messed up and attacks into your killing blow instead of blocking or chambering.

It is however extremely useful for 1vX if you're wearing enough armor and controlling the distances well enough to kill a couple people with the riposte and only eat a hit or two in return. It's how you see a lot of people like Trix and his level of player 1vX with a longsword since they can guarantee damage and are good enough to avoid and block most of the incoming damage.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

Just arc daggers into the ballista man's head from downtown

https://giphy.com/gifs/giEvrpqEQL5Crh2M8g

I will fully admit that was a very lucky throw and will likely never happen again.

Throw kills best kills, regardless of intent or fortune.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm trying out 3/3/1 + BL and bastard sword. Will report on it. The ability to two hand and release later for greater drag will be nice to torture people with. Not to mention stance switching in the middle of a fight to throw people off.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Chambering is for dealing w/ feints. If they don't feint, you end up chambering and now you have the initiative where they have to guess what you're going to do. If they do feint, you still have the initiative and your attack is going to hit them before they can hit you usually (accounting for distinctions between slow/fast weapons, accel vs drag hits). If they morph, you might often need to end up feinting into a parry or another chamber attempt. Feints take like 200ms to use while morphs take like 0ms.

There's less guesswork in chambering versus parrying, but it can use up a lot more stamina.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I just realized that if you have 3 of the same weapon, you can paint all of them with different colors/wood/metal.

My 3/3/2 3xHatchets build is performing much better because of this, somehow.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
same here when im running triple lutes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Can you make golden pans to beat people with

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What I want to know is, how can I get flinched by a horsefield and then killed by the rider's couched spear in the same pass?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Horsefield is stupidly big.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ravenfood posted:

What I want to know is, how can I get flinched by a horsefield and then killed by the rider's couched spear in the same pass?

You sort of use the horse's head to push them to your right and into the spear

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Yes, they can drag the cone of the spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's a combination of all of that