Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be even more a clusterfuck in FF14 because of how integral the story is to the game. In WOW it doesn't matter because all the quests are just bear rear end collecting.

Uh I'm playing through the MSQ right now for the first time and most of the quests in ARR are also just bear rear end collecting so far (at level 30)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sunaurus posted:

Uh I'm playing through the MSQ right now for the first time and most of the quests in ARR are also just bear rear end collecting so far (at level 30)

There's still an overarching storyline to it. Pre-Cataclysm WOW was ONLY bear rear end collecting, with no overarching story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sunaurus posted:

FF14 has a great story concept - you start off as a nobody adventurer doing odd jobs until you more-or-less fall into heroism because of being special - but they completely gently caress up the pacing until Heavensward. You spend way too long having to do dumb chores for people past when it stops making any sense.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I haven't healed since 4.0 release, so I don't have much skin in the game when it comes to this healer changes. But I'll give my hot take on it anyway, co's I'm supposed to be studying right now, so of course, I need to find something else to do at any cost.

It seems to me like their solution to the healer imbalance is akin to a doctor treating a brain tumor by sawing the patient's head off. Sure, maybe now they have a better balance for healers, but at what cost?

edit: but I still have some confidence in the devs. They had a similar problem with tanks, especially paladins, and even though tank balance went through some weird times until they found their footing, in the end, they did a really good job with it.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 30, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pick up that dung, citizen

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could honestly make more money just charging gil for raiding lessons. X gil, join party, learn content. I know people will charge DPS to join them for shorter dungeon queues if they're healers/tanks. Plus less likely to get you banned.

Hmm... so I could do dungeon runs for DPS and asked to be paid in food instead of money and then not even have to pay and upfront costs when during a session I take the other players aside and ask if they ever tried the amazing powers of this Soup and the incredible benefits it will give? My god, this is basically like printing money!

(But yeah, mostly meant it as a joke since for whatever reason the mental image of someone in the middle of a practice raid going into a full MLM style speech of how they HAVE to try this Totally Reasonably Priced(tm) food or something is hilarious to me :v:)

Edit: In hindsight I probably could've written that to be a bit more obvious that I wasn't really serious, but I do have an actual question that came to my mind: How important is food actually? Since they have been handing out a bunch during the questlines I actually started using them and it seems like the stat boost on the higher ilvl ones are pretty decent, and the ones giving crafter points have been amazing while leveling my main one up to 70. Guess I am mostly wondering what people who have actual experience with Savage content and such think of them since to me it looks like they could be pretty nice, but dunno if those stat numbers actually make a difference.

Greader fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 30, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I managed to end up in a sweet spot, because I only play healer when I don't want to do too much and just focus on keeping people alive. So I can now literally say "If they wanted me to DPS more they would have let me keep all my DPS moves. Also never look at my fairy, you sub-human filth.".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Greader posted:

Edit: In hindsight I probably could've written that to be a bit more obvious that I wasn't really serious, but I do have an actual question that came to my mind: How important is food actually? Since they have been handing out a bunch during the questlines I actually started using them and it seems like the stat boost on the higher ilvl ones are pretty decent, and the ones giving crafter points have been amazing while leveling my main one up to 70. Guess I am mostly wondering what people who have actual experience with Savage content and such think of them since to me it looks like they could be pretty nice, but dunno if those stat numbers actually make a difference.

My group's not exactly hardcore, we don't do ultimates but we have cleared savage content up to this point, and it's generally assumed that all of our raiders are using food. Maybe not top-tier food, but at least something decent enough. If you can't afford it, someone will give you something at least (in our group it's often me, I'm not exactly a top-tier omnicrafter but I do keep all my dohs/dols at cap, and I try to make a good amount of cheap food to hand out to people who need it). At the bare minimum the Vitality boost from food makes it easier to survive aoe damage mechanics.

As far as crafting goes, food is extremely important/helpful. You can get CP worth a whole piece of gear using food. Gathering seems a bit more situational but it's still helpful.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fister Roboto posted:

Elezens are only slightly longer lived than the other races, like 10 years at most. They're not traditional fantasy elves.

Yea, Elezen just take longer to hit full-blown puberty, but they do they shoot upwards to adult height extremely quickly. A growth spurt in the truest sense of the phrase.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Schubalts posted:

Yea, Elezen just take longer to hit full-blown puberty, but they do they shoot upwards to adult height extremely quickly. A growth spurt in the truest sense of the phrase.

And all of it neck height.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
"Just pick up the drat rocks."

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The Trust system looks awesome, and I can't wait to see who they add to it as time goes on. Estinien for sure, right?

I also kind of want them to add Tataru, for some kind of challenge mode where you get extra dungeon rewards if you can carry her mechanics-failing rear end through to the end alive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was trying to decide what are the strongest and weakest parts of 1-50, and here's my general reviews. Please share your own feelings also.

1-15: Good. The game starts strong, escalates stuff in a way that makes sense, then rewards the player with greater freedom. Of these, Limsa is easily the most fun, but Ul'dah might offer the best overall story experience, since it gives you a chance to interact with both Thancred and the Sultana before they get plot important. You can also start in Gridania.

15-20: Also good. You don't waste a lot of time, you quickly get three dungeons that you aren't sick of yet, and it culminates in the Ifrit fight. So far so good on ARR story. There's some filler quests in here but for the most part they make sense for you to be doing - after you've killed Ifrit, not so much.

20-25: Bad. The Sylphs are fine (but boring) in terms of lore and story, but they seem to have gotten some of the game's worst content attached to them, both here and later on (and in the Sylph tribe quests). Especially egregious are quests like dancing for all the sylphs in the village, and that bullshit with the water tub at Buscarron's. The anticlimax of not fighting Ramuh makes sense, but the reason for it is boring. Rather than having stopped it, they're just kind of like "well, we don't think they're going to do anything yet." Toto-Rak is not a good dungeon. At least you get your chocobo at the start?

25-30: Bad. Again, the problems of 20-25 continue here. Haukke Manor is a good dungeon that stops this from being a total waste. especially since it's the first dungeon you get to run with your new Job skills. Still, it bounces all over with half-finished plotlines involving the Ala Mhigans or the spook forest house. There aren't any quests as bad as the dancing or the bucket IIRC. Then it not-so-smoothly transitions into...

30-35: Just bad. Bad bad bad. Almost all of this is filler of the worst sort, the game stalling for time. Nobody likes the run-up to Titan. Brayflox's is an acceptable dungeon and it's easily the first good-looking one, but overlong and at an awkward level - capping at 34 instead of 35 makes it way less fun for almost every class. I have no strong reaction to the Titan fight itself.

35-40: I'm honestly not sure, but I'd say good overall? I think it depends entirely on how well the Ishgard detour clicks with you. If you enjoy taking a break from main Eorzea in a new setting with some new scenery, it's good. It tells a self-contained story and other than the final duty it's pretty fun. The plot justification for being there in the first place is extraordinarily bad - not quite Titan levels of bad - and there is no power in the world that can make me care about Cid.

40-44: Bad. How are there this many quests between getting the airship and fighting Garuda? They're all just so pointless, and the excuses are so flimsy. You have more to do mechanically at this point and the Siren stuff is neat, so it's not all bad. Your class is probably beginning to come together around now.

45-50: Good-ish. Pacing-wise it's fine, everything you do feels like a real buildup to the final confrontation with Gaius. The MSQ dungeons don't suck the first time you do them. The big problem here is that sudden quest level jump from 46 to 49. Really, Square? You'll make us forcibly level through filler quests to fight Titan and Garuda, but you got here and were just like "welp, nothing you could be doing for three levels." I guess the idea is to make players start engaging with LDR and such if they haven't?

I think everyone already agrees on the post-50 to Heavensward content, so no reason to get into that. ARR itself starts strong, ends strong, and mostly treads water in the middle. I think 20-35 might be the worst set of levels in the game. Other than Haukke and Brayflox, there's no good content between Ifrit and Titan.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The fact that ARR is as good as it is, despite the quest, dungeon, and pacing problems of the early game, is testament to the strength of its core gameplay and how fun Eorzea is to spend time in.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
ARR just has terrible zones, too. They're annoying to get around and mostly ugly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krabboss posted:

ARR just has terrible zones, too. They're annoying to get around and mostly ugly.
The only one I don't like is the Shroud. Thanalan has great music and I think La Noscea is gorgeous. None of them would be my favorite but I think they're fine. I get why others would dislike them in comparison to the later areas, though.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly I feel that ARR has a big ol u ish curve in the middle in terms of quality, it starts dropping until It hits rock bottom at the banquet, followed by a big spike in the middle when you fight titan, which can be enough to push you through ishgard until you get to anticipating garuda. Even though the quality of the lead up there is bad, garuda is another good primal, so that's fun, and then ya mostly coast on actual plot up to the finale.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Coerthas stuff is cool, it's got its own story and teases at the hosed up politics of Ishgard.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
I started ARR as scholar, and dropped it once I realized how much dps I was expected to do as a healer. It sucks for people who enjoyed the class as it was, but I'll personally enjoy it a lot more now that I don't need to juggle a dps rotation while dodging poo poo and healing. Maybe it's because I play the game super casually, usually only for 2-3 months when a new expansion comes out, but I heal dungeons to relax and the way it played before was just flat out stressful for me.

I absolutely tried to maximize my dps when I healed, because I knew it was expected of me, but I personally look forward to maximizing my dps coming down to "keep up your one dot and nuke when it's safe." Condolences to the min-maxers, but I'm breaking my scholar out of "only play if you really don't want to wait in a queue" purgatory.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only one I don't like is the Shroud. Thanalan has great music and I think La Noscea is gorgeous. None of them would be my favorite but I think they're fine. I get why others would dislike them in comparison to the later areas, though.

Pretty much all the upper level stuff have some annoying combination of toads or things that slow. A lot of them are ugly, and some of them are far too big.

North Than, Northern West Than, Mor Dhona, North Shroud and Outer La Noscea are all pretty bad imo.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Granstein posted:

I started ARR as scholar, and dropped it once I realized how much dps I was expected to do as a healer. It sucks for people who enjoyed the class as it was, but I'll personally enjoy it a lot more now that I don't need to juggle a dps rotation while dodging poo poo and healing. Maybe it's because I play the game super casually, usually only for 2-3 months when a new expansion comes out, but I heal dungeons to relax and the way it played before was just flat out stressful for me.

I absolutely tried to maximize my dps when I healed, because I knew it was expected of me, but I personally look forward to maximizing my dps coming down to "keep up your one dot and nuke when it's safe." Condolences to the min-maxers, but I'm breaking my scholar out of "only play if you really don't want to wait in a queue" purgatory.

Healers who don't DPS just aren't doing anything. Most of their time in a dungeon is spent doing nothing, or overhealing. It's relaxing because you're literally just not playing the game. And you'll still be expected to DPS in dungeons even with these changes. Scholar has a 150 potency aoe spell that should basically be spammed during trash pulls.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Also they could literally remove the entire banquet thing by having the lalafell dude actually recognize you and chew out the jerk trying to get you to do all the busywork. Maybe get him to still do something to test you but shortened or at least less pointless feeling. Heck, make the banquet be after killing titan to make the whiplash stronger.

And the crap garuda leadup could be fixed by just finding the right crystal on the first go. Increase the quest exp to cover the loss of these bits and arr would be at least more consistent.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Adept Nightingale posted:

The Trust system looks awesome, and I can't wait to see who they add to it as time goes on. Estinien for sure, right?

I also kind of want them to add Tataru, for some kind of challenge mode where you get extra dungeon rewards if you can carry her mechanics-failing rear end through to the end alive.

I want them to add NPCs from various job quests.

Let Fray tank while Sylphie does nothing but heal.

Tataru is a level 1 ACN with stats to match and no carbuncle.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine queuing for a dungeon for a reason that isn't "welp, it's time to go fast and spam my aoe skill". Dungeons are literally the only place in the game they let you do that poo poo.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Tataru would queue up for a dungeon as a weaver.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mostly feel like AST's changes are horrible flavor wise, but probably don't change all that much actual gameplay wise because really it was just get an AOE damage card or bust. SCH I feel I get where they're coming from but probably hit them too hard with the homogenization? Like one vs two dots isn't much but I would have let them keep energy drain/shadow flare to give it a little more flair?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

I want them to add NPCs from various job quests.

Let Fray tank while Sylphie does nothing but heal.

Tataru is a level 1 ACN with stats to match and no carbuncle.
Tataru gets good at Arcanist or one of its job classes in some optional post-Stormblood quests, the Four Lords or w/e.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Krabboss posted:

Healers who don't DPS just aren't doing anything. Most of their time in a dungeon is spent doing nothing, or overhealing. It's relaxing because you're literally just not playing the game. And you'll still be expected to DPS in dungeons even with these changes. Scholar has a 150 potency aoe spell that should basically be spammed during trash pulls.

This is a real uncharitable read of what looks more to me like "Scholar had a whole loving lot of buttons, which could be stressful to juggle while healing."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tataru gets good at Arcanist or one of its job classes in some optional post-Stormblood quests, the Four Lords or w/e.

Given that the carbunkle she summons proceeds to immediately run away, I don't know if I'd say she's "good" at it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol can you imagine NPC trusts trying to navigate the first room of AV?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

lol can you imagine NPC trusts trying to navigate the first room of AV?

Can't you run that dungeon with squadron members already?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Can't you run that dungeon with squadron members already?

Yes, and it's a million times better that way than with real people.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought Scholar had pretty bad button bloat so the changes seem good to me as I had abandoned my Scholar for Astrologian healing (which I think is great). Though I don't do anything but public queues,

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
The only memorable thing so far in ARR story has been the girl who got raped by monsters, the rest of the story has been quite bland in my opinion. I'm still enjoying the game, but I have a feeling I won't remember most of the early story in a few weeks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
:chloe:

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Adept Nightingale posted:

This is a real uncharitable read of what looks more to me like "Scholar had a whole loving lot of buttons, which could be stressful to juggle while healing."

Then play WHM instead of wanting Scholar to lose its identity. ARR Scholar could set up a bunch of DoTs and then spam Ruin II while running around dodging AoEs. It was arguably a safer DPS rotation than spamming Broil or Stone. If there's too much button bloat, remove it elsewhere.

I have the same problem with Machinist's identity being ruined because people didn't like playing it. New MCH looks like a Red Mage but with a gun and a robot sometimes. Just play something else.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But MCH is terrible

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If we ever need to revisit Eorzea with a time skip, let them redo the zones and have some sort of phasing.

This game gives more than two shits about its story. A cata style skip would be awful.

Oh I agree on the phasing for big changes, and assuming this is way off they should have the tech for it. I just think that some overhaul to fix the shittier parts of ARR seems likely. Refresh zones, tidy up early quests, maybe rebuild them to allow flight, stuff like that.

There's enough areas on Aldenard we haven't seen to accommodate an expac at home too (Pag'l'than, wider Xelphatol, underwater Sahagin territories).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

But MCH is terrible

I feel like you could probably remove heat and keep the feel of current MCH and have it a lot better, but I like the remake's flavor a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Failboattootoot posted:

Dark Knight, Machinist, Monk, and Whm just this last expansion?

BRD MCH and AST in 3.X.