Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Since they said they were thinking about doing a number crunch in 6.0, I wonder if that will be the Cataclysm expansion.

With the justification that going to the first allowed the Empire to swoop in and tear everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Trasson posted:

Yes, and it's a million times better that way than with real people.

Right up until the Tank AI eats a bad breath on the last boss and the Healer AI shits itself trying to deal with it.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Kwyndig posted:

But MCH is terrible

It's.. not, though? The only fixes it really needs is getting rid of the passive turret because passive pets are stupid and getting early detonation on Wildfire, both of which it is getting. Both great changes. I won't miss Hot Shot either but it's hardly a major issue considering how cleanly it fits into the rotation.

Other than that though it basically needs nothing else. It plays uniquely and the 1 minute rotation is tight and elegant. Nailing your wildfire feels satisfying and the minutiae of perfecting your timing allows for a higher skill ceiling.

The single worst thing about MCH right now is that it's tuned lower than BRD, so people play that instead and don't bother to actually get to know MCH, the far better designed job. If their tuning was reversed, so would people's opinions on them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
MCH are boring as hell dude

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Magil Zeal posted:

It feels like FBT is gonna be in a kinda weird place until 80 because it (by all accounts) will replace DWT post-Bahamut but I don't think you can Deathflare out of it. Not sure how to feel about Phoenix being essentially a Bahamut reskin with a regen aura--couldn't they have buffed Phoenix's potencies or something? I get it's an overall damage increase since you'll in effect be able to Bahamut twice in a row but it's kinda uninspired to have Demi-Phoenix with the same actions as Demi-Bahamut. It's also a bit weird because Firebird Trance doesn't explicitly say it can't be put on a hotbar/replaces Dreadwyrm Trance, but it does seem to based on videos.

I just wish its animations were not literally just "throw some fire effects on Bahamut's animations". Feels lazy, y'know?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Obligatum VII posted:

I just wish its animations were not literally just "throw some fire effects on Bahamut's animations". Feels lazy, y'know?

I wonder how Alisae is going to feel about us using Phoenix.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Krabboss posted:

Then play WHM instead of wanting Scholar to lose its identity. ARR Scholar could set up a bunch of DoTs and then spam Ruin II while running around dodging AoEs. It was arguably a safer DPS rotation than spamming Broil or Stone. If there's too much button bloat, remove it elsewhere.

I dont know about anyone else but when I think scholar I think “shields and a shitload of powerful ogcd abilities and also a faerie friend that helps you keep your idiot friends alive” which are all still present

“has two dots instead of one and also shadowflare which every arcanist also has” doesn’t really define scholar

to me the internet rando

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly am not sure what other skill you can remove from Scholar. Everything else it has seems central to the concept

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

MCH are boring as hell dude

it’s not

and again it’s fine to have niche classes. like i dunno i don’t like monk but i’m not sitting here saying it needs to be reworked. i just find classes that i prefer to play

people who play mch generally agree with people who don’t on what’s bad about it. overheat is bad, gauss barrel and turret are annoying, the leveling experience is terrible, wildfire needs some tweaks. but beyond those the clockwork identity is totally fine to have? it’s a different playstyle.

not every class needs to play the same, as evidenced by people getting upset by the healer changes

edit: you don’t have to like and actively play every class in the game

just ignore the scoreboard that tells you what level all your classes are

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 30, 2019

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Zoig posted:

Tataru would queue up for a dungeon as a weaver.

She absolutely would.
She would also hand you a sweet new outfit she made you at the end of the dungeon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

edit: new post isn’t edit

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only thing I'd like for healers is a little variety in how they damage enemies during downtime since all the healing kits seem fine. Just one mid duration higher potency dot for scholar, faster casting and procs for AST, slower casting harder hitting nukes on WHM with some other method of filling up the blood lilly

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly am not sure what other skill you can remove from Scholar. Everything else it has seems central to the concept

Emergency Tactics can get cut because it only has any sort of positive effect if you need to dump two Aldos or Succors in succession for some reason, which is a situation that almost never comes up

Soil SUCKED and was arguably the single worst button in the SCH kit, but it's gotten reworked instead of removed (and is probably fine now)

As for what they did cut, Rouse is kind of a boring buff so I'm fine with it going away (although I hope there's a slight HPS buff to Embrace compensate, I have no idea how the potency changes affect pets)

I'm not particularly married to Miasma, Miasma 2 or Shadow Flare in a vacuum, but there really should be something offensive to replace them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaubocks posted:

just ignore the scoreboard that tells you what level all your classes are

that's impossible u know this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

Emergency Tactics can get cut because it only has any sort of positive effect if you need to dump two Aldos or Succors in succession for some reason, which is a situation that almost never comes up

Soil SUCKED and was arguably the single worst button in the SCH kit, but it's gotten reworked instead of removed (and is probably fine now)

As for what they did cut, Rouse is kind of a boring buff so I'm fine with it going away (although I hope there's a slight HPS buff to Embrace compensate, I have no idea how the potency changes affect pets)

I'm not particularly married to Miasma, Miasma 2 or Shadow Flare in a vacuum, but there really should be something offensive to replace them

Emergency Tactics is useful in less optimal situations which is something necessary to design around. I see it used when a co healer goes down for example. It is a skill useful to less skilled players who need more healing than others.

You kind of have to design around the fact not all of FFXIV playerbase is very good. It is why a lot of DPS changes are reduced DPS loss for screwing up mechanics

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

that's impossible u know this

i mean i'm not gonna lie, i'm leveling up a few classes i'm not crazy about just so when people search info me it looks like i play more than just tanks and mch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What I think you're seeing from the healer changes is a problem of the fundamental design issue that healers have: they're the only role out of the combat classes that does not have DPS as an intrinsic part of their role. With the final removal of Flash, tanks must DPS to hold enmity, and DPS classes must DPS to do anything meaningful at all. Healers don't have to do this, and that creates the kind of stringent dichotomy you're seeing.

There are likely a good number of players - probably, if I hazarded a guess, the majority - who play classes like SCH, WHM, and AST because they like healing and don't want to have to DPS, or they like healing and wouldn't mind DPSing, but are turned off by the difficulty in balancing healing with DPSing. I've been playing this game since 2.3 and have spent the overwhelming majority of it playing healers, and I still have trouble maintaining even AST's single DoT while also scrambling to keep everyone alive in pug groups. If you've been playing for a long time and feel you're effectively an expert at it, it's hard to empathize with someone who can barely keep up - but, more likely than not, that's the situation for most people playing healing jobs.

The result of this is that the dev team is stuck in a corner when it comes to expansion design and rebalancing. If the majority of the people playing healers are playing them to heal, then they're going to love seeing more healing actions that make them better healers. The minority that wants to DPS but finds the pot watching too complex will enjoy seeing a simpler rotation that makes it easier for them to DPS while healing. Meanwhile, the minority that is able to DPS and heal effectively is going to feel bitter because they're seemingly being ignored. Revising healing jobs down to a barebones DPS rotation is meant to try and satisfy the two largest contingents of people playing healers. It's obviously painful for SCH players who preferred keyboard piano rotations, but trying to cater to only a minority of players is unlikely to produce a good outcome moving forwards.

UHD posted:

I dont know about anyone else but when I think scholar I think “shields and a shitload of powerful ogcd abilities and also a faerie friend that helps you keep your idiot friends alive” which are all still present

“has two dots instead of one and also shadowflare which every arcanist also has” doesn’t really define scholar

to me the internet rando

I'd suspect that's what the majority of players see as SCH's identity. Again, I think this is a minority vs. majority situation in much the same way as Eureka was: a lot of people in this thread hated it, but it was clearly well-received overall and likely kept their subscription numbers higher during patch lulls.

In reality, the only way to have a healing job in the future that has a more complex rotation that's baked into the basic gameplay assumptions is to have it as a brand new job and strongly push that as its identity.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I know there's that huge google doc everyone uses but is there a step by step guide for leveling all the DoH and DoL stuff together (start as MIN, get x of y, switch to BTN get x of y, switch to GSM and make these things, etc) or is it more basically just "grind out gathering stuff and do the beast tribe and turnin stuff for crafting otherwise it's a huge slog"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Late to the party, but I just finished 4.x MSQ. Is it just me or is everything about it pretty meh? With what I know of ShB, it feels like a D&D campaign where the DM doesn't know where to take the story so they shove you into a side adventure to avoid having to deal the original one.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SettingSun posted:

Late to the party, but I just finished 4.x MSQ. Is it just me or is everything about it pretty meh? With what I know of ShB, it feels like a D&D campaign where the DM doesn't know where to take the story so they shove you into a side adventure to avoid having to deal the original one.

That's been a pretty common complaint with 4.0's story; cramming in both the liberation of Doma and Ala Mhigo felt a bit rushed

I think the patch storylines were much better paced

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Emergency Tactics is useful in less optimal situations which is something necessary to design around. I see it used when a co healer goes down for example. It is a skill useful to less skilled players who need more healing than others.

You kind of have to design around the fact not all of FFXIV playerbase is very good. It is why a lot of DPS changes are reduced DPS loss for screwing up mechanics

The thing is ET isn't even really a great button in emergency situations. It's +200 pot over 2 GCDs in a "gently caress I need to get this guy healthy RIGHT NOW" situation and only if you're using it correctly (which I'd imagine most people aren't, and are just slapping it whenever HP gets low even though there's no real difference between 600 heal and 300 heal/300 shield in those situations).

Vermain posted:

There are likely a good number of players - probably, if I hazarded a guess, the majority - who play classes like SCH, WHM, and AST because they like healing and don't want to have to DPS, or they like healing and wouldn't mind DPSing, but are turned off by the difficulty in balancing healing with DPSing.

That's fine, if anyone isn't comfortable with managing rotations then they can just spam Broil and get passable damage (or just not DPS at all). I just don't see why they have to remove all the extra optimizable spells for people who want to squeeze out that extra few percent of damage by weaving correctly or whatever.

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 30, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vermain posted:

What I think you're seeing from the healer changes is a problem of the fundamental design issue that healers have: they're the only role out of the combat classes that does not have DPS as an intrinsic part of their role. With the final removal of Flash, tanks must DPS to hold enmity, and DPS classes must DPS to do anything meaningful at all. Healers don't have to do this, and that creates the kind of stringent dichotomy you're seeing.

There are likely a good number of players - probably, if I hazarded a guess, the majority - who play classes like SCH, WHM, and AST because they like healing and don't want to have to DPS, or they like healing and wouldn't mind DPSing, but are turned off by the difficulty in balancing healing with DPSing. I've been playing this game since 2.3 and have spent the overwhelming majority of it playing healers, and I still have trouble maintaining even AST's single DoT while also scrambling to keep everyone alive in pug groups. If you've been playing for a long time and feel you're effectively an expert at it, it's hard to empathize with someone who can barely keep up - but, more likely than not, that's the situation for most people playing healing jobs.

The result of this is that the dev team is stuck in a corner when it comes to expansion design and rebalancing. If the majority of the people playing healers are playing them to heal, then they're going to love seeing more healing actions that make them better healers. The minority that wants to DPS but finds the pot watching too complex will enjoy seeing a simpler rotation that makes it easier for them to DPS while healing. Meanwhile, the minority that is able to DPS and heal effectively is going to feel bitter because they're seemingly being ignored. Revising healing jobs down to a barebones DPS rotation is meant to try and satisfy the two largest contingents of people playing healers. It's obviously painful for SCH players who preferred keyboard piano rotations, but trying to cater to only a minority of players is unlikely to produce a good outcome moving forwards.

I'd suspect that's what the majority of players see as SCH's identity. Again, I think this is a minority vs. majority situation in much the same way as Eureka was: a lot of people in this thread hated it, but it was clearly well-received overall and likely kept their subscription numbers higher during patch lulls.

In reality, the only way to have a healing job in the future that has a more complex rotation that's baked into the basic gameplay assumptions is to have it as a brand new job and strongly push that as its identity.

I was trying to think of a way to say "as fun as it is I think we and prog savage raiders are the only ones who think honest healing is totally bad" but you pretty much said it, so I'll quote you instead

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SettingSun posted:

The MSQ always seems to take a last second swerve before the expansions.

"We've been framed for the murder of the Sultana, let's go hide in Ishgard!"

"Ilberd's bullshit gave us a foothold in Alamihgo, let's kick the empire out!"

"Someone is calling us to a parallel universe (and also kidnapping our friend's souls?), let's go there!"

Granted, it's a little more abrupt this time what with us fighting an invasion a few hours before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ryanbomber posted:

That's fine, if anyone isn't comfortable with managing rotations then they can just spam Broil and get passable damage (or just not DPS at all). I just don't see why they have to remove all the extra optimizable spells for people who want to squeeze out that extra few percent of damage by weaving correctly or whatever.

Every damage spell you add or keep in is more hotbar real estate you lose. Trying to balance the number of actions for two entirely different sets of players becomes a genuinely hellish task.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

funkmeister posted:

She absolutely would.
She would also hand you a sweet new outfit she made you at the end of the dungeon.

I really suspect that people will insist she be added to Trust if she isn't already. Hilarity points if she decides she wants to tank this expansion. Hell make that a new Trust Roulette where she goes in and stands in all the bad and blows cooldowns at all the wrong times. I'd gladly do that over MSQ roulette everyday.

Shadowbringers Tataru will be our Zenos equivalent complete with golf bag full of DoH/DoL main hands.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Kwyndig posted:

But MCH is terrible

Machinist is unique and has a super tight rotation that takes actual effort to execute properly. It's easily the most fun DPS class to play currently. It's too much for most people, but I don't give a poo poo. It's bad to make all classes play basically the same way so that they're accessible to all players. If you want an easy rotation, just play Red Mage or something.

UHD posted:

to me the internet rando

Scholar used to have more DoTs. In 2.0 they could have like 6 DoTs up at a time. The ogcd heals just complemented their highly mobile playstyle. Switching to Broil spam sucks major rear end.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I like 4.x well enough but I found the ending to be weaker than previous pre-expansion patches. I fully expected the showdown with fake Zenos to end conclusively based on the Shadowbringers trailer, so just having it be essentially a draw was a let down. It seems as though we're going to need to resolve and/or establish some things in Shadowbringers before we actually go to the first, and maybe they could've done more of that in 4.5x, which seemed to end rather abruptly.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Only ever playing SCH again if they get back Thunder and Aero. ARR SCH was the most fun I have ever had in this game and I will only begrudgingly play AST in 5.0.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
People are actually going to do this....

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Krabboss posted:

Scholar used to have more DoTs. In 2.0 they could have like 6 DoTs up at a time. The ogcd heals just complemented their highly mobile playstyle. Switching to Broil spam sucks major rear end.

six dots sounds like hell to juggle on top of healing duties and I’m glad they paired it down to two and soon down to one

but I also think dots are inherently boring so :shrug:

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

UHD posted:

six dots sounds like hell to juggle on top of healing duties and I’m glad they paired it down to two and soon down to one

but I also think dots are inherently boring so :shrug:

Play White Mage then.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Krabboss posted:

Play White Mage then.

no

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Givin posted:

I'd far rather do this than hours of Syrcus or Castrum, and I only care about like 2 things on the prize list. God forbid if you're somebody who hasn't been playing for 6 years.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Krabboss posted:

Reducing DoT tracking is one of the things I actually like about nu-Scholar, it was the last job that had multiple ones of different durations I think?

I'm still not happy about the healer changes in general, but the SCH healing toolkit is stronger than I gave it credit for at first glance. It will actually be able to clear content. It still feels like all the healers are going to be weaker and less dynamic at 80 than they are right now though, and synced content is going to be an excuse to take a nap. A lot of it seems like a weird half-step to convert to WoW healspam.

Not that anyone is going to care (the thread and discord have both made that very clear) but I do apologise for getting wound up and snippy yesterday. It's just kind of annoying to see a job you've probably spent a thousand hours playing get worse while a bunch of people mansplain it to you or troll away

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Givin posted:

Honestly this is exactly the kind of wacky stuff that (somewhat) validates Blue Mage's existence

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Magil Zeal posted:

Honestly this is exactly the kind of wacky stuff that (somewhat) validates Blue Mage's existence

"Ok, BLU3, when we get here, I need you to light yourself on fire."
"And how!"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Givin posted:

I speculated to friends that four BLUs might be the best way to go about this event and I'm glad to see how much of a brain genius I am

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Reducing DoT tracking is one of the things I actually like about nu-Scholar, it was the last job that had multiple ones of different durations I think?

Yeah I. SMN dots were both 30s since 4.0 I think. I extremely do not care if I have to 321 or 21 as my rotation, but as long as they fixed that I'm good. :v:

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Not that anyone is going to care (the thread and discord have both made that very clear) but I do apologise for getting wound up and snippy yesterday. It's just kind of annoying to see a job you've probably spent a thousand hours playing get worse while a bunch of people mansplain it to you or troll away

{Don't worry about it.}

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I'm still not happy about the healer changes in general, but the SCH healing toolkit is stronger than I gave it credit for at first glance. It will actually be able to clear content.

Lol if you couldn't clear content with Scholars old toolkit, what on earth. As far as I can recall there were only contradictions with Aero I's DoT timers back when Scholar was fun as well. The class has just been on a steady, rapid decline now for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

never apologize and :justpost: