Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Reducing DoT tracking is one of the things I actually like about nu-Scholar, it was the last job that had multiple ones of different durations I think?

I'm still not happy about the healer changes in general, but the SCH healing toolkit is stronger than I gave it credit for at first glance. It will actually be able to clear content. It still feels like all the healers are going to be weaker and less dynamic at 80 than they are right now though, and synced content is going to be an excuse to take a nap. A lot of it seems like a weird half-step to convert to WoW healspam.

Not that anyone is going to care (the thread and discord have both made that very clear) but I do apologise for getting wound up and snippy yesterday. It's just kind of annoying to see a job you've probably spent a thousand hours playing get worse while a bunch of people mansplain it to you or troll away

6 was too much and annoying back then particularly because of the cross class slot limitations. However, I still think they should have about ~3 dots and some Ruin II equivalent to spam. I loved the class because they really did play differently to WHM, but over time that's been less and less the case. I mained Scholar in ARR and played them somewhat in HW, but I stopped in SB. And now healing in general seems fairly dull in ShB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Back to annoy with another controller question: settled on relearning with BLM since it seems gentle and I have some set up having gone through the first couple of dungeons. However, does anybody have a controller layout for BLM that they would like to share?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I remember back when sch and whm lost access to thunder and a friend of mine lamented the death of healer jobs and quit the game over it which was really funny to me

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Skanker posted:

Lol if you couldn't clear content with Scholars old toolkit, what on earth. As far as I can recall there were only contradictions with Aero I's DoT timers back when Scholar was fun as well. The class has just been on a steady, rapid decline now for a while.

No, no, I think I said that it wouldn't be able to run through new content if ShB actually steps up healing requirements. I've cleared O12S on current SCH, I have at least some idea of how it works. Probably.

And yeah Truga, I mean very clear, but it can't be helped.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Feels like we're half an expansion away from people baying for FFXIV Classic and it's the funniest poo poo to me.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Feels like we're half an expansion away from people baying for FFXIV Classic and it's the funniest poo poo to me.

Will that be 1.0 or 2.0?

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Sleng Teng posted:

Back to annoy with another controller question: settled on relearning with BLM since it seems gentle and I have some set up having gone through the first couple of dungeons. However, does anybody have a controller layout for BLM that they would like to share?

This Google doc was really helpful for me when I was trying to set up controller stuff. It goes over all of the different settings that are available and section 13 has suggested crossbar setups for each job.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You know what it's kind of hosed up that per the gamerescape reports RDM's aoe rotation has a quickly-casting elemental spell followed by a slowly-casting unaspected spell.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Nate405 posted:

This Google doc was really helpful for me when I was trying to set up controller stuff. It goes over all of the different settings that are available and section 13 has suggested crossbar setups for each job.

Oh wow that’s perfect, thank you!

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Magil Zeal posted:

Will that be 1.0 or 2.0?

My only experience with 1.0 was about half an hour during closed beta when the servers were making GBS threads the bed and the UI was awful besides. I'd really like to try 1.0.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
There is a community PvP twitch stream going on right now. There is a give away of some plush toys and Tataru figure at the end if you are in the EU.

https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly, my chief concerns around 5.0 SCH all revolve around Aetherflow. The loss of our other DPS buttons isn't great, but I can live with it. But the changes to Aetherflow itself fundamentally change the feel of the job. Quickened Aetherflow was the biggest change SCH has seen since 2.0, and losing that (in turn going back to a 1m CD for Aetherflow), Energy Drain, and now being unable to restore Aetherflow between pulls, is gonna change how the job flows to a considerable degree. We didn't even get charges to avoid the Aetherflow waste that is inevitably going to happen at points.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ferrinus posted:

You know what it's kind of hosed up that per the gamerescape reports RDM's aoe rotation has a quickly-casting elemental spell followed by a slowly-casting unaspected spell.

I don’t play RDM, why is that a problem?

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Krabboss posted:

My only experience with 1.0 was about half an hour during closed beta when the servers were making GBS threads the bed and the UI was awful besides. I'd really like to try 1.0.

The beta came out the day before I shipped out to Iraq. When I left the next morning FFXIV had convinced me I was never coming home.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Ferrinus posted:

Dualcast procs will make it instant.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
every job is going to be bad, yoship has lost touch, abandon ship!!!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

CuddlyZombie posted:

The basic single target rotation works the opposite way (it's not really a problem)

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Vermain posted:

What I think you're seeing from the healer changes is a problem of the fundamental design issue that healers have: they're the only role out of the combat classes that does not have DPS as an intrinsic part of their role. With the final removal of Flash, tanks must DPS to hold enmity, and DPS classes must DPS to do anything meaningful at all. Healers don't have to do this, and that creates the kind of stringent dichotomy you're seeing.

There are likely a good number of players - probably, if I hazarded a guess, the majority - who play classes like SCH, WHM, and AST because they like healing and don't want to have to DPS, or they like healing and wouldn't mind DPSing, but are turned off by the difficulty in balancing healing with DPSing. I've been playing this game since 2.3 and have spent the overwhelming majority of it playing healers, and I still have trouble maintaining even AST's single DoT while also scrambling to keep everyone alive in pug groups. If you've been playing for a long time and feel you're effectively an expert at it, it's hard to empathize with someone who can barely keep up - but, more likely than not, that's the situation for most people playing healing jobs.

The result of this is that the dev team is stuck in a corner when it comes to expansion design and rebalancing. If the majority of the people playing healers are playing them to heal, then they're going to love seeing more healing actions that make them better healers. The minority that wants to DPS but finds the pot watching too complex will enjoy seeing a simpler rotation that makes it easier for them to DPS while healing. Meanwhile, the minority that is able to DPS and heal effectively is going to feel bitter because they're seemingly being ignored. Revising healing jobs down to a barebones DPS rotation is meant to try and satisfy the two largest contingents of people playing healers. It's obviously painful for SCH players who preferred keyboard piano rotations, but trying to cater to only a minority of players is unlikely to produce a good outcome moving forwards.

I'd suspect that's what the majority of players see as SCH's identity. Again, I think this is a minority vs. majority situation in much the same way as Eureka was: a lot of people in this thread hated it, but it was clearly well-received overall and likely kept their subscription numbers higher during patch lulls.

In reality, the only way to have a healing job in the future that has a more complex rotation that's baked into the basic gameplay assumptions is to have it as a brand new job and strongly push that as its identity.

Thank for you this very reasonable post, this is roughly how I feel as well. I play SCH and I'm definitely in the category of "squeeze out every bit of DPS while keeping everyone as minimally alive as possible" and that's a big part of why I enjoy healing but I see the reasoning and I think it'll end up alright. There might be less buttons but I'm still going to enjoy working to maximize my DPS, and if they increase the outgoing damage in general, great. When the expansion drops people are going to be falling over themselves to play GNB/DNC and I'm looking forward to my extremely short queues on SCH!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Krabboss posted:

It's kinda interesting for maybe an hour or two but XIV 1.0's beta convinced me not to purchase the game, which was at the time a first for me. And that's ignoring the incredibly laggy serverside UI, performance issues, and server issues. Just judging it as the content-less void that constituted the actual gameplay.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CuddlyZombie posted:

Single target is a quick unaspected spell followed by a slow but powerful aero/thunder, so it's weird that AoE aero/thunder are the fast and weak ones that set up the unaspected haymaker.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
14 1.0 beta is easily the worst mmo I ever played and it's not close. I could see bringing back 1.23 though. I bought ff14 on a lark for 5 bucks to get the goobue mount and the game seemed decent at that point so I could see it having weird niche appeal. It was wild reading the beta forums though and the number of IT'S JUST A BETA posts. Like dudes at the time the beta ran literally everything was hosed and the games launch was a month and a half away.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
The only thing I recall from playing 1.0 was trying to craft some bow. Maybe a level 10ish bow? The mats I needed were like a level 7 piece of lumber, a level 8 piece of leather and a level 41 string that cost more than the bow would have sold for. I also didn't get into the combat and questing and dropped off, though my boyfriend kept playing it somehow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

BLM can do almost everything on just the first cross hotbar, luckily, making them one of the most controller-friendly classes.

R2, from square going counter-clockwise (default is from circle clockwise but this is just me): Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3, Fire 4
R2, from d-pad left going counter-clockwise: Blizzard 1, Transpose, Blizzard 3, Blizzard 4
L2, from square going counter-clockwise: Thunder 3, Thunder 4, Flare, Foul
L2, from d-pad left going counter-clockwise: Enochian, Ley Lines, Swiftcast, Triplecast

Everything else, including utility stuff like sprint, teleport, mount, LB, go onto the second bar. I only regularly use Manaward, Convert, Diversion, Lucid Dreaming from that bar in combat. I don't recommend having more than two hotbars. You want to be able to quickly switch back and forth with one button press.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ciaphas posted:

I was trying to think of a way to say "as fun as it is I think we and prog savage raiders are the only ones who think honest healing is totally bad" but you pretty much said it, so I'll quote you instead

While obviously I can't speak for anyone else, I would just like to note that I am exactly the sort of casual player who will never touch a savage raid and I hate this change simply for its effect on my 4 man dungeon experience , which is the only place I ever played SCH anyway.

It's not just "weirdo elitists" vs "casuals" like you're framing it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 30, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I did hear that sch actually gets to keep ruin 2, but I'm not actually sure if this is true, can anyone verify? Not sure I believe it because it seems like another thing that would have got the axe, with the approach they are taking.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zoig posted:

I did hear that sch actually gets to keep ruin 2, but I'm not actually sure if this is true, can anyone verify? Not sure I believe it because it seems like another thing that would have got the axe, with the approach they are taking.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zoig posted:

It even got a potency increase from what I can tell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe this is goong to make me sound like a hypocrite, but I actually strongly dislike Ruin 2 as a design. It's basically a non-rotational spell that exists purely to give you something to do while moving. Which means you both never want to cast it, but also need to have it within easy reach to use at a moment's notice, which seems almost like a contradiction to me. It takes up both keyboard and brain real estate in a way that doesn't make the class at all more fun (to me) so frankly I'd have been fine if they cut it. I can always just refresh Bio while moving or whatever.

Scathe has a similar role for BLM.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 30, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well that's nice, at least compared to everything else.

I should mention as I understand that while scholars got really hosed with these changes, the other 2 healers both have niggling issues that make people unhappy. Astro doesn't get anything particularly interesting with cards, and seals are boring, and white mages still don't get that 1.5 cast time for spells they have been begging for and the new afflatus spells are all gcd spells and they really did not want any more of those.

I do feel aside from the card changes astro got out pretty good because I can still lightspeed gravity spam and that makes me happy, and I got more healing ogcd, I think, which I always felt I didn't quite have as many as I would like.

Mind ya, half of this is stuff coming off of my raider brother again, but it at least has sound logic to it.

edit :That's fair

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vermain posted:

What I think you're seeing from the healer changes is a problem of the fundamental design issue that healers have: they're the only role out of the combat classes that does not have DPS as an intrinsic part of their role. With the final removal of Flash, tanks must DPS to hold enmity, and DPS classes must DPS to do anything meaningful at all. Healers don't have to do this, and that creates the kind of stringent dichotomy you're seeing.

There are likely a good number of players - probably, if I hazarded a guess, the majority - who play classes like SCH, WHM, and AST because they like healing and don't want to have to DPS, or they like healing and wouldn't mind DPSing, but are turned off by the difficulty in balancing healing with DPSing. I've been playing this game since 2.3 and have spent the overwhelming majority of it playing healers, and I still have trouble maintaining even AST's single DoT while also scrambling to keep everyone alive in pug groups. If you've been playing for a long time and feel you're effectively an expert at it, it's hard to empathize with someone who can barely keep up - but, more likely than not, that's the situation for most people playing healing jobs.

The result of this is that the dev team is stuck in a corner when it comes to expansion design and rebalancing. If the majority of the people playing healers are playing them to heal, then they're going to love seeing more healing actions that make them better healers. The minority that wants to DPS but finds the pot watching too complex will enjoy seeing a simpler rotation that makes it easier for them to DPS while healing. Meanwhile, the minority that is able to DPS and heal effectively is going to feel bitter because they're seemingly being ignored. Revising healing jobs down to a barebones DPS rotation is meant to try and satisfy the two largest contingents of people playing healers. It's obviously painful for SCH players who preferred keyboard piano rotations, but trying to cater to only a minority of players is unlikely to produce a good outcome moving forwards.

I'd suspect that's what the majority of players see as SCH's identity. Again, I think this is a minority vs. majority situation in much the same way as Eureka was: a lot of people in this thread hated it, but it was clearly well-received overall and likely kept their subscription numbers higher during patch lulls.

In reality, the only way to have a healing job in the future that has a more complex rotation that's baked into the basic gameplay assumptions is to have it as a brand new job and strongly push that as its identity.

This is a very good post that makes very good points.

Basically the opposite of Krabboss’s machinist posts.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Clarste posted:

Maybe this is goong to make me sound like a hypocrite, but I actually strongly dislike Ruin 2 as a design. It's basically a non-rotational spell that exists purely to give you something to do while moving. Which means you both never want to cast it, but also need to have it within easy reach to use at a moment's notice, which seems almost like a contradiction to me. It takes up both keyboard and brain real estate in a way that doesn't make the class at all more fun (to me) so frankly I'd have been fine if they cut it. I can always just refresh Bio while moving or whatever.

It's not just for moving, it's also for weaving non-GCD abilities. Both SMN and SCH have quite a few of those (well, SCH will have less now) and thus it's a valuable spell. I would definitely not want to see it gone on SMN at least.

I don't find the Scathe comparison apt because BLM is not very heavy on non-GCD abilities that are vital to the class in the way a SMN leans on Fester, Enkindle Bahamut, and the like.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Clarste posted:

Ruin 2 is/was a good optimization tool. Beyond just moving, you could weave an oGCD in its cooldown. Whether you'd use it to weave an Energy Drain, or a Lustrate, or whatever, it would be a slightly more efficient use of a GCD. It's at least more efficient than refreshing bio that has most of its ticks left.

It's not a tool the average player needs, but it raised the skill ceiling, which is a good thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

It's not just for moving, it's also for weaving non-GCD abilities. Both SMN and SCH have quite a few of those (well, SCH will have less now) and thus it's a valuable spell. I would definitely not want to see it gone on SMN at least.

I don't find the Scathe comparison apt because BLM is not very heavy on non-GCD abilities that are vital to the class in the way a SMN leans on Fester, Enkindle Bahamut, and the like.

Well, I was talking about SCH.

Anyway, I guess that's an optimization problem I hadn't considered (because I am a very casual player), but that just makes it all the more puzzling to me that THIS is the SCH dps optimization they want to preserve while they're cutting out everything else I found fun about the class, seemingly in the name of simplicity.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still haven't learned how to play BLM on controller. Maybe I should do that now for this event, especially if it's not changing a hell of a lot for ShB.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Just saw this and it gave me a laugh https://reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/buvivu/im_a_whmsch_about_to_go_on_my_first_8person_boss/

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

This is a very good post that makes very good points.

Basically the opposite of Krabboss’s machinist posts.

The assertion of the post is wrong for sure. SCH being less popular than WHM isn't depressing the sub count. Having different playstyles at different levels of complexity pleases more people than making all classes play the same. This person's point about Eureka contradicts their point about healers, even. Eureka isn't popular content, but it existing gives people looking for that type of content something to do.

Making Machinist easy to play will make more people play Machinist, that's about it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of the funniest things I've seen was getting Westwind in Roulette and upon seeing a new player bonus, have the chat jokingly hype up its difficulty to insane proportions.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Clarste posted:

I mean it's like that because as I recall Mages have a similar button in WoW. But the point of it is that for those classes that can't do their attacks while moving not having a button for that means that your damage becomes zero whenever mechanics happen. BLM already suffers enough whenever they have to interrupt their rotation to move, no reason to make it worse.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

BLM can do almost everything on just the first cross hotbar, luckily, making them one of the most controller-friendly classes.

R2, from square going counter-clockwise (default is from circle clockwise but this is just me): Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3, Fire 4
R2, from d-pad left going counter-clockwise: Blizzard 1, Transpose, Blizzard 3, Blizzard 4
L2, from square going counter-clockwise: Thunder 3, Thunder 4, Flare, Foul
L2, from d-pad left going counter-clockwise: Enochian, Ley Lines, Swiftcast, Triplecast

Everything else, including utility stuff like sprint, teleport, mount, LB, go onto the second bar. I only regularly use Manaward, Convert, Diversion, Lucid Dreaming from that bar in combat. I don't recommend having more than two hotbars. You want to be able to quickly switch back and forth with one button press.

Thanks for this too! And yeah that's why I chose BLM, other than it being my favorite caster DPS & a potential main for this next expansion.

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't learned how to play BLM on controller. Maybe I should do that now for this event, especially if it's not changing a hell of a lot for ShB.

Come join me, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krabboss posted:

The assertion of the post is wrong for sure. SCH being less popular than WHM isn't depressing the sub count. Having different playstyles at different levels of complexity pleases more people than making all classes play the same. This person's point about Eureka contradicts their point about healers, even. Eureka isn't popular content, but it existing gives people looking for that type of content something to do.

Making Machinist easy to play will make more people play Machinist, that's about it.

The issue is that healers are necessary. You can far less afford to have a niche healer than any other role because they have the fewest options. MCH is one of like a dozen. SCH is 1 of 3.