Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not as if Data's episodes were the ones that regularly resonated the most with viewers or anything, or that he's as emblematic of TNG as Picard is. Yeah, there's movies that misuse him and Spiner can be kind high on himself, but you can make the same claim about Shatner. That doesn't mean Kirk isn't a huge, beloved part of Trek that helped make it great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gonz posted:

If he truly is on the show, then they'll probably handwave it away.

Picard: "Data....you look....different."

Data: "Yes sir, I have changed my appearance to more accurately represent the process of aging."

Considering he literally did this in all good things

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Considering he literally did this in all good things

Yeah, but that was a streak of grey hair.

Data never aged 20 years and put on 100 lbs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nodosaur posted:

It's not as if Data's episodes were the ones that regularly resonated the most with viewers or anything, or that he's as emblematic of TNG as Picard is. Yeah, there's movies that misuse him and Spiner can be kind high on himself, but you can make the same claim about Shatner. That doesn't mean Kirk isn't a huge, beloved part of Trek that helped make it great.

I would argue that Measure of a Man and Data’s Day are the only good Data episodes and all the others range from mediocre to downright awful. He’s a character with tons of wasted potential and the way he was played for the last three seasons of TNG was just boring as poo poo. Plus Spiner himself is a bit of a tool and had a creative hand in making the later TNG films such dogshit. The character is played out and no one seemed to know what to do with him after TNG, so let him stay dead.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Gonz posted:

In the novels published by Pocket Books and set after Nemesis, Data returned in 2384 by having his memories and neural net transferred from B-4 into a new body which contained the memory engrams of Data's creator Doctor Noonien Soong after he was dying and being attacked by Lore years earlier. Data then takes control of the body after Soong deletes himself. After a tearful reunion with his old shipmates, Picard offers to reactivate Data's commission and to rejoin the crew but Data declines as he says he requires time. Several months later, with the help of the Enterprise crew, he is able to obtain the help necessary to resurrect his daughter, Lal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTLC_uiGFA

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Just have him come back as a ship's computer or something and have some throwaway line about how his body was damaged in a warp conduit explosion and integrating him into the ship's main computer was the only way to save him. You could just say Geordi or Wesley did it for an extra bit of pandering without any real effort.

Edit: And if you still really want to see fat data have Dr. Maddox construct a new body for data but couldn't get the proportions "quite right"

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 30, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sure that you all had to wait for me to say this, but boy there are a lot of people who want to see Laforge and data make out. I actually really don't get that one. I guess they hang out a fair amount, but there's literally no romantic chemistry there

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pick posted:

I desperately wished they'd leaned into Sisko as "9-to-5 clocking, barely-gives-a-poo poo" captain

Sisko will devote maximum effort to saving the Federation, but if your problem is less important than that it can wait until the next shift. He's got dinner to cook.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

I'm sure that you all had to wait for me to say this, but boy there are a lot of people who want to see Laforge and data make out. I actually really don't get that one. I guess they hang out a fair amount, but there's literally no romantic chemistry there

Geordi and Data, the original Troy and Abed

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm waiting for my flight to take off and goddamn this one flight attendent is a goddamned dead ringer for Avery Brooks I'm freaking out a bit

Greet him as The Emissary and ask him to take the plane through the celestial gate to visit the wormhole aliens!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spiner knows what he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfT9H_2jM4&t=21s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

They could've easily done this with the EMH on Voyager.

but... if he's already the computer... you don't need him pushing the computer buttons... :tizzy:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's weird as hell that Generations and First Contact had Data doing emotions finally, and then Insurrection is all "what is playing beep boop" again.

That said, even though Data never got to grow gradually because story arcs aren't for syndication, Data's great. Y'all can go suck a Katarian egg.

tee dee pow

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nodosaur posted:

william shatner is loving hilarious, all he does is sit on twitter screaming about metoo being a terrible idea

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

william shatner is loving hilarious, all he does is sit on twitter screaming about metoo being a terrible idea

Shatner's Twitter is run by his daughter, Melanie. When he was here in Madison for a Q&A after a screening of Wrath of Khan, he literally said, "I have no idea what the hell she posts, I barely know how to use an iPhone."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Number_6 posted:

Greet him as The Emissary and ask him to take the plane through the celestial gate to visit the wormhole aliens!

he did the safety announcements and he didn't have The Voice :mad:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also

WHAT

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A man chooses...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Sisko vs Eddington episode really wants to sell that holographic communicator thing, only for it to never up in DS9 again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The Sisko vs Eddington episode really wants to sell that holographic communicator thing, only for it to never up in DS9 again.

It went out of style after briefly appearing on Discovery

Starfleet tries it and rejects it every 80 years or so

Orv
May 4, 2011
Iks nay on the holo tanks ey.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah he does a lot of voice work

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-news/chief-o-brien-star-trek-ireland-203814/

Cool, happy birthday Meaney

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

Shatner's Twitter is run by his daughter, Melanie. When he was here in Madison for a Q&A after a screening of Wrath of Khan, he literally said, "I have no idea what the hell she posts, I barely know how to use an iPhone."

All he does is lip off non-stop and I don't believe for a second he's unaware of any of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

It went out of style after briefly appearing on Discovery

Starfleet tries it and rejects it every 80 years or so

They should keep doing this as a parallel to irl poor acceptance of video calling.

My buddy was talking about TOS and I had to inform him that Shatner was notoriously lovely to people on set and still was kind of a self-important dick. He was very sad to learn this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

They should keep doing this as a parallel to irl poor acceptance of video calling.

My buddy was talking about TOS and I had to inform him that Shatner was notoriously lovely to people on set and still was kind of a self-important dick. He was very sad to learn this.

why did you have to tell him that, then? just to like... make him... not feel good ?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah he does a lot of voice work

The other stuff I saw tracks, but I went back and watched the Andrew Ryan audiologs and I just cannot reconcile it, it sounds nothing like him in anything else I've heard.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

I saw one of those screenings in Arizona and he made several references to #meetoo, seemingly having no understanding of what it actually was. He kept talking about it as if it was just a girl power sort if thing and it was kind of awkward because he seemed to be unaware it had to do with rape.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I saw one of those screenings in Arizona and he made several references to #meetoo, seemingly having no understanding of what it actually was. He kept talking about it as if it was just a girl power sort if thing and it was kind of awkward because he seemed to be unaware it had to do with rape.

He very much lacks self-awareness. Like I said, his daughter--who's a real piece of work herself, holy poo poo she's weird--runs his Twitter and he really doesn't have anything to do with it.

He was also drunk as a skunk at the Wrath of Khan screening here in Madison last year. Hammered Shatner answering questions from Mancow was one of the strangest things I've ever seen in my life.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pick posted:

why did you have to tell him that, then? just to like... make him... not feel good ?

Because

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There's a track on Has Been that really nails part of why Shatner's kids are...like that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Brawnfire posted:

There's also that thing on the Defiant they used to disguise the crew when using the ship's communicator, in just the one episode.

Makes no sense, because surely if you're in comms range and it matters enough to use the holofilter thing, the ship other end can see it's not coming from a Pakled freighter.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but... if he's already the computer... you don't need him pushing the computer buttons... :tizzy:

This is a franchise where the queen of a literal hive mind issues verbal commands to the drones.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

spincube posted:

There's also that thing on the Defiant they used to disguise the crew when using the ship's communicator, in just the one episode.

Makes no sense, because surely if you're in comms range and it matters enough to use the holofilter thing, the ship other end can see it's not coming from a Pakled freighter.

I mean, ships typically use their sensors (which can be fooled) even if they are within visual range to render an image on screen. Using a drat window seems to be a lost art in the future.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

This is a franchise where the queen of a literal hive mind issues verbal commands to the drones.

Ehhhhhhh there are a number of valid and plausible explanations apologia for that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Ehhhhhhh there are a number of valid and plausible explanations apologia for that

twere the doin of a wizard

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I mean, ships typically use their sensors (which can be fooled) even if they are within visual range to render an image on screen. Using a drat window seems to be a lost art in the future.

if you opened the window to look out, all the space would rush in :ohdear:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

On the one hand, future self-defence ECM would be interesting, and would be a good excuse to have a guy on the bridge all wired-up like he fell out of a cyberpunk comic circa 1993.

On the other, I would love to have been in the meeting at Utopia Planitia where some Admiral's failson was so sure that future Snapchat filters would be useful against the Borg, on the prototype ship designed exclusively as a Borg counter-measure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

if you opened the window to look out, all the space would rush in :ohdear:

That's why I got bay windows on my spaceship. You get a larger viewing angle without compromising atmos.