Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Wish I could give player commendations with upvotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SettingSun posted:

One of the funniest things I've seen was getting Westwind in Roulette and upon seeing a new player bonus, have the chat jokingly hype up its difficulty to insane proportions.

I actually do do that, it’s fun. Sometimes I even place markers around, for strategy.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that healers are necessary. You can far less afford to have a niche healer than any other role because they have the fewest options. MCH is one of like a dozen. SCH is 1 of 3.

I don't think the relative complexity of Scholar is what is depressing the amount of healers either. The three tanks are incredibly easy to play in 90% of content but still they're far more uncommon than damage classes. People are more scared of the responsibility of healing than they are of doing optimal damage as a Scholar.

To be clear, I'm mourning a long dead Scholar. Scholar these days isn't much harder to play than WHM, and easier than AST. And regardless of the number of damage spells, most healers don't deal damage in dungeons anyway. If you're a bad player, they're all as easy to play as each other, because you're just pressing your heal buttons and overhealing constantly anyway. And since most players aren't great, I'm fairly certain the reason for the big gap in the healer class play-rates comes down to just aesthetic and thematic reasons. People like White Mages.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Change AST weapon to the Infinity Gauntlet since it has to collect all the different colored card suit orbs to unleash a Shiva snap of the fingers attack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Glagha posted:

I mean it's like that because as I recall Mages have a similar button in WoW. But the point of it is that for those classes that can't do their attacks while moving not having a button for that means that your damage becomes zero whenever mechanics happen. BLM already suffers enough whenever they have to interrupt their rotation to move, no reason to make it worse.

yes and No. The mage specs all have some spell they can cast while moving but in most cases they don't want to. Warlocks are worse off. Mages can refresh their Dots, and Destruction warlocks have an instant cast spell that they can theoretically cast with moving, but Casting it on cooldown is more or less a vital part of their rotation and otherwise they want to stand with their feet planted firmly to the ground casting their 3 second cast time spells.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sorry nerds shadowbringers is good.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1134173719474184197

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

I am truly excited for the expansion despite my whining. I want to play as a beast man and gently caress around with the new jobs. Dancer looks incredible, honestly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gun... blade? board? Gunboard?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Krabboss posted:

The assertion of the post is wrong for sure. SCH being less popular than WHM isn't depressing the sub count. Having different playstyles at different levels of complexity pleases more people than making all classes play the same. This person's point about Eureka contradicts their point about healers, even. Eureka isn't popular content, but it existing gives people looking for that type of content something to do.

Making Machinist easy to play will make more people play Machinist, that's about it.

My point in bringing up Eureka was simply that small, fairly self-selecting groups of people (e.g. ourselves) are not accurate barometers for what the majority of the community feels regarding the direction of the game or the style of content being released.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kurieg posted:

yes and No. The mage specs all have some spell they can cast while moving but in most cases they don't want to. Warlocks are worse off. Mages can refresh their Dots, and Destruction warlocks have an instant cast spell that they can theoretically cast with moving, but Casting it on cooldown is more or less a vital part of their rotation and otherwise they want to stand with their feet planted firmly to the ground casting their 3 second cast time spells.

Yes, I'm aware of the utility of instant cast, lower damage spells. They are less optimal damage options for when you have to interrupt your rotation. I'm saying I think they should stay because they have an important niche unless you want to have fights to not require movement, or casters to be able to cast while moving across the board. Also they're useful for oGCD abilities because they window after you cast it but can't cast anything else is useful for slipping buffs in. Hell, summoner uses it a lot and probably will continue to, and while I don't play much scholar, you can hit it while tossing out indoms, so I really think spells like ruin 2 are too important to lose.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I posit that letting SCH use Carbuncle would have more effect on its popularity than any amount of complexity changes in any direction.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clarste posted:

I posit that letting SCH use Carbuncle would have more effect on its popularity than any amount of complexity changes in any direction.

You're right, I want my Carby.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Unfortunately the Scholar quests revolve entirely around lalafells so I can't fault anyone for never touching it.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Vermain posted:

My point in bringing up Eureka was simply that small, fairly self-selecting groups of people (e.g. ourselves) are not accurate barometers for what the majority of the community feels regarding the direction of the game or the style of content being released.

The majority of the community doesn't like Eureka. It isn't just us here, or people on Reddit. It is very niche content that normally only has one populated server at a time, ever.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Krabboss posted:

It is very nice content that normally only has one populated server at a time, ever.

Was this the case numerous months ago when each iteration was released? Were you tracking them extensively? Did you get the numbers from the JP servers?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vermain posted:

Do people actually like Eureka or do they want relics? Remove relics from Eureka and it will probably be as well received as Diadem was.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Didnt they say that eureka was wildly more popular than they expected, so much so that they're planning to do another for ShB

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maguoob posted:

Do people actually like Eureka or do they want relics? Remove relics from Eureka and it will probably be as well received as Diadem was.

You could apply the question of, "Do people want to do X, or do they really just want rewards?" to any activity in the game. I don't find it a particularly compelling point.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Krabboss posted:

The majority of the community doesn't like Eureka. It isn't just us here, or people on Reddit. It is very niche content that normally only has one populated server at a time, ever.

lmfao did you miss the dozen+ Hydatos instances when BA was new

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Vermain posted:

Was this the case numerous months ago when each iteration was released? Were you tracking them extensively? Did you get the numbers from the JP servers?

I only resubbed in 4.5, so I was around when Hydatos got added. It was fairly dead. I am basing my assertion on the fact that every indication on every message board is that Eureka is not enjoyable and is engaged with solely for the Relic.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Didnt they say that eureka was wildly more popular than they expected, so much so that they're planning to do another for ShB

Yeah, but that isn't the same thing as it being a thing the majority of people engage with.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Unfortunately the Scholar quests revolve entirely around lalafells so I can't fault anyone for never touching it.

they were right, this thread is bad

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Krabboss posted:

Yeah, but that isn't the same thing as it being a thing the majority of people engage with.

During an interview they said that after looking at the player participation numbers in eureka they considered it a huge success

It doesnt really matter if people were only doing it for the relic or not because they still did it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Krabboss posted:

I am basing my assertion on the fact that every indication on every message board is that Eureka is not enjoyable and is engaged with solely for the Relic.

You don't think that your particular choice of message boards might influence the range of opinions you see?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

They were fully aware most people would only touch eureka if they put the relic weapons in there. Thats 100% of the reason they did it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Krabboss posted:

I only resubbed in 4.5, so I was around when Hydatos got added. It was fairly dead.

case closed no further investigation needed

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

During an interview they said that after looking at the player participation numbers in eureka they considered it a huge success

It doesnt really matter if people were only doing it for the relic or not because they still did it

I think it's good that it's in the game, because it gives people who want something different something to do. That's my whole point, actually! I even want them to flesh it out more so that there's reason to do it beyond just relic grinding.

Vermain posted:

You don't think that your particular choice of message boards might influence the range of opinions you see?

I said every message board. It isn't popular on the official forums either, or Reddit, or anywhere.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SettingSun posted:

One of the funniest things I've seen was getting Westwind in Roulette and upon seeing a new player bonus, have the chat jokingly hype up its difficulty to insane proportions.

I love doing this. It's such a great hazing ritual for newbies.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

later eureka and BA especially were pretty rad, so I think if they take lessons learned from those and apply them to the 5.0 version it'd be cool

logos actions especially I want more stupid poo poo like half the group dropping death on trash in BA

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Krabboss posted:

I said every message board. It isn't popular on the official forums either, or Reddit, or anywhere.

Well my friend, have you tried the forums over at EurekaLovers.net? I think you'll find that all other forums are just biased, and Eureka is in fact good.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i think i might level summoner first. it looks really fun and hey, free healer at 80 at the same time just in case.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

EurekaOnly.com

A dating app exclusively for eureka lovers. Other folk just dont get it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm going to straight to Gunbreaker. Looks dope as hell. Doubly so if we have another Raubahn (Extreme) situation early on.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Im still mad about eureka because when I got a neat housing item from pazuzu I made a little area of my house to hold the housing item from each of the 4 bosses......and then none of the other bosses ended up having them

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

garfield hentai posted:

I know there's that huge google doc everyone uses but is there a step by step guide for leveling all the DoH and DoL stuff together (start as MIN, get x of y, switch to BTN get x of y, switch to GSM and make these things, etc) or is it more basically just "grind out gathering stuff and do the beast tribe and turnin stuff for crafting otherwise it's a huge slog"

This got lost in the shuffle of MCH and SCH doomsaying, but:

- Level BTN and MIN first. Honestly if you can stomach it you should try and get them as close to 70 as possible before starting on the rest of this, because two of the endgame skills for BTN and MIN (Leaf Turn/Unearth III, Bountiful Harvest/Yield II) make the process of gathering HQ materials (which you'll want for expedience way easier and less time consuming, which I find is the worst part of actually trying to get the DoL/DoH. Levespamming and daily GC turn-ins with BTN/MIN is unfortunately your only real option for 1-55, at which point you'll want to get into timed nodes and collectibles, since they give you both scrip and a fair amount of XP.

- While you're doing this, if you're feeling spicy, you should set up a retainer with a combat class. This is gonna make things marginally easier if you can get them leveled while you're going through your gatherers, cause it makes it easier to get HQ materials that drop from mobs. This is mostly applicable to LTW and CUL, who use the most mob drop-based materials for the longest (especially LTW, who you'll be leveling slowly otherwise, and who uses aldgoat leather for something like 15 levels), but it's marginally useful for things like ALC and WVR as well.

- If you're looking for a checklist of what to make and how, I used This google spreadsheet combined with everyone's favorite crafting site in order to figure out what I needed to make. In terms of checklist:

• Level everyone to 15 first. It's easy, you don't need to go material hunting (pretty much everything you need can be bought in the respective guilds save for like one or two ingredients), and it gets you your first round of cross-class skills, some of which stay useful for a long time (Hasty Touch, Manipulation, Waste Not, Tricks of the Trade are the ones that come to mind)
  • CUL to Level 37 for Steady Hand II. Steady Hand II is what makes Hasty Touch viable, and Hasty Touch is gonna be primarily how you increase Quality on anything for a long time.
  • CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing. Byregot's is how you are going to HQ basically everything from here until the end of time and sets up your 'basic' setup of 'increase Inner Quiet with Hasty Touch as high as you can get while still being able to finish the craft, Byregot's, finish.
  • WVR to 50 for Careful Synthesis II. Careful 2 literally replaces Basic Synthesis in all jobs, so the sooner you have it, the easier things'll be.
  • ALC to 50 for Comfort Zone. CP-restoring is gonna be your best friend from here on out.
  • LTW to 50 for Waste Not II. Waste Not II is probably your best Durability-saving action for a long time.
  • BSM and ARM to 50 for Ingenuity 2/Piece by Piece. It's easy to level these both simultaneously since their materials have a lot of overlap by their nature. Ingenuity II and PbP are both godsends later but aren't as useful when you get them.
  • GSM to 50 for Innovation. Innovation is useful but also the easiest-dropped part of your trifecta of quality-boosting buffs post-ARR crafting (Great Strides/Innovation/Ingenuity II).
  • CUL to 50. Reclaim is useless but you might as well have everyone to 50 at this point.

I'm struggling with 50-60 crafting right now so I can't give you much tips on that but there's probably something close to your 'preferred' order of leveling in order to get all the tools you'll need.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is it worth leveling a gather up to 70 to try and get in on the early materials rush money? mine are all at level 0 so i'd have like a month to level one.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Maguoob posted:

I don’t give a poo poo about relics and I’m level 49 and enjoying eureka. Last night I conducted a train for the first time which was nerve wracking but fun.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

queeb posted:

is it worth leveling a gather up to 70 to try and get in on the early materials rush money? mine are all at level 0 so i'd have like a month to level one.

It would be mindnumbingly boring, I think, you get great xp from GC turnins but those are once a day per class. To get to 70 without those you’d have to resort to spending all the time clicking rocks, forever. Leves would help too but not THAT much. And they’re also limited.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

queeb posted:

I'd be surprised if it was, and you'd probably be competing against bots.

In my experience you'd be making money on unspoiled nodes, and those will likely have a gear requirement to get the good stuff anyways.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

queeb posted:

Levelling a gatherer is decent dosh no matter what, honestly. Not exactly big bucks like completed crafts but you'll always be looking for people who want to hit the market board and find what they need vs grinding it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

They should move the beastmen dailies to 5.x Eureka.

And also add fishing.