Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Krabboss posted:

I said every message board. It isn't popular on the official forums either, or Reddit, or anywhere.

it may shock you to learn the majority of players aren't posting on any forums about their thoughts.

Also all these sources tend to skew more negative, because there's more incentive/desire to sound off when you want to make a complaint.

This authoritative schtick you've got going is getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Eureka would be a lot less onerous if it didn't open with the worst version of it first, and it was an actual zone instead of an instance for some goddamn reason. Also if it was less awful. I swear if eureka 2.0 requires completing 1.0 I'm gonna scream.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

quote:

Eureka chat again
Turn left thread noooo

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Honestly the biggest problem with Eureka is that being minimum level in a zone feels loving awful, and you do it four times over the course of the quests. I genuinely enjoy Eureka when I'm at or near the zone cap, it's fun.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly this may be the expansion I try to level everything in, Im about a third of the way there but the hard part is always the first 30 levels or so so i'm feeling pretty good about it this time.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Glagha posted:

Eureka would be a lot less onerous if it didn't open with the worst version of it first, and it was an actual zone instead of an instance for some goddamn reason. Also if it was less awful. I swear if eureka 2.0 requires completing 1.0 I'm gonna scream.

I would be surprised if it didn’t because that’s the kind of fuckshittery eureka is known for

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As a person who has a Whisper a go go, that was less miserable because at least I had the option to easily leave and do something else whenever I wanted and didn't fuckin instance me and make me mainline that poo poo and also punish me on death. Jesus I started talking about this trying to be somewhat generous but the moment I start thinking about it I start realizing just how garbage it is and how unbelievable it is anyone defends that poo poo. Death exp loss? Really?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I genuinely like Eureka mutation farming, it ticks a lot of the same boxes for me as treasure hunts. And some of the light farm camps I don't exactly like, but appreciate as someone that played way too much EQ. Pagos forge camp and double dragons are as etched in my mind in this point as Castle Crushbone's wall camp

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Glagha posted:

As a person who has a Whisper a go go, that was less miserable because at least I had the option to easily leave and do something else whenever I wanted and didn't fuckin instance me and make me mainline that poo poo and also punish me on death. Jesus I started talking about this trying to be somewhat generous but the moment I start thinking about it I start realizing just how garbage it is and how unbelievable it is anyone defends that poo poo. Death exp loss? Really?

As a person who has a Whisper-a-Go-Go I agree that it being its own instance is a bummer, but also nothing is worse than farming Whisper-a-Go-Go.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i don't care how many street corners i have to stand on while waving my homemade cardboard sign proclaiming the end is coming. the fact remains: regardless of how many band-aids and throwbacks and rewards they add, the foundation is awful, and therefore Eureka.............. is Bad

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Whisper a go go is better than Eureka because it had the decency to be done after the event rather than becoming the primary piece of side content for an entire loving expansion complete with its own plot, zones, and an exclusive dungeon at the end.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oh boy I gained another Eureka level I just love grinding away at numbers when it doesn't even give me anything.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Monathin posted:

This got lost in the shuffle of MCH and SCH doomsaying, but:

- Level BTN and MIN first. Honestly if you can stomach it you should try and get them as close to 70 as possible before starting on the rest of this, because two of the endgame skills for BTN and MIN (Leaf Turn/Unearth III, Bountiful Harvest/Yield II) make the process of gathering HQ materials (which you'll want for expedience way easier and less time consuming, which I find is the worst part of actually trying to get the DoL/DoH. Levespamming and daily GC turn-ins with BTN/MIN is unfortunately your only real option for 1-55, at which point you'll want to get into timed nodes and collectibles, since they give you both scrip and a fair amount of XP.

- While you're doing this, if you're feeling spicy, you should set up a retainer with a combat class. This is gonna make things marginally easier if you can get them leveled while you're going through your gatherers, cause it makes it easier to get HQ materials that drop from mobs. This is mostly applicable to LTW and CUL, who use the most mob drop-based materials for the longest (especially LTW, who you'll be leveling slowly otherwise, and who uses aldgoat leather for something like 15 levels), but it's marginally useful for things like ALC and WVR as well.

- If you're looking for a checklist of what to make and how, I used This google spreadsheet combined with everyone's favorite crafting site in order to figure out what I needed to make. In terms of checklist:

• Level everyone to 15 first. It's easy, you don't need to go material hunting (pretty much everything you need can be bought in the respective guilds save for like one or two ingredients), and it gets you your first round of cross-class skills, some of which stay useful for a long time (Hasty Touch, Manipulation, Waste Not, Tricks of the Trade are the ones that come to mind)
  • CUL to Level 37 for Steady Hand II. Steady Hand II is what makes Hasty Touch viable, and Hasty Touch is gonna be primarily how you increase Quality on anything for a long time.
  • CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing. Byregot's is how you are going to HQ basically everything from here until the end of time and sets up your 'basic' setup of 'increase Inner Quiet with Hasty Touch as high as you can get while still being able to finish the craft, Byregot's, finish.
  • WVR to 50 for Careful Synthesis II. Careful 2 literally replaces Basic Synthesis in all jobs, so the sooner you have it, the easier things'll be.
  • ALC to 50 for Comfort Zone. CP-restoring is gonna be your best friend from here on out.
  • LTW to 50 for Waste Not II. Waste Not II is probably your best Durability-saving action for a long time.
  • BSM and ARM to 50 for Ingenuity 2/Piece by Piece. It's easy to level these both simultaneously since their materials have a lot of overlap by their nature. Ingenuity II and PbP are both godsends later but aren't as useful when you get them.
  • GSM to 50 for Innovation. Innovation is useful but also the easiest-dropped part of your trifecta of quality-boosting buffs post-ARR crafting (Great Strides/Innovation/Ingenuity II).
  • CUL to 50. Reclaim is useless but you might as well have everyone to 50 at this point.

I'm struggling with 50-60 crafting right now so I can't give you much tips on that but there's probably something close to your 'preferred' order of leveling in order to get all the tools you'll need.

Awesome, thanks for the writeup! I'll take a look at the spreadsheet and ffxivcrafting and that big Google doc thing too but having it broken down simple like this makes getting started way less overwhelming.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Eureka is alright. Good room for improvement.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Argas posted:

Oh boy I gained another Eureka level I just love grinding away at numbers when it doesn't even give me anything.

you're doing it wrong but keep crying, it's hilarious

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Glagha posted:

Whisper a go go is better than Eureka because it had the decency to be done after the event rather than becoming the primary piece of side content for an entire loving expansion complete with its own plot, zones, and an exclusive dungeon at the end.

That dungeon is dope, though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Vitamean posted:

That dungeon is dope, though.

Yeah I bet. Shame I'll never get to see it, hopefully the next attempt will be better.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Glagha posted:

Yeah I bet. Shame I'll never get to see it, hopefully the next attempt will be better.

you should give it a shot

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

What's going to be the quickest way to get a new job to 70 to start the expansion stuff? I've always grinded an existing job in the past but I want to main GNB now.

Is it really going to be Heaven-On-High? :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Glagha posted:

BA is good pretty much only because its part of Eureka and has Eureka mechanics, though. IDK what you want

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Vitamean posted:

you should give it a shot

See you in like 2 months then, assuming I don't slit my wrists finishing Anemos first. (Spoilers I did give it a shot. It failed.)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I mean yeah but the primal datacenter BA discord has been having a hilarious drama meltdown of late.

Not that you still can’t get clears on it. It’s honestly not hard content. Just... takes a while to get there.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

homeless snail posted:

BA is good pretty much only because its part of Eureka and has Eureka mechanics, though. IDK what you want

I want Eureka to be fun and good rather than poop and bad. 5.whatever might bring that and that'd be cool.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
As someone who's new to Stormblood content I have no idea what Eureka is other than it seemingly invoking some kind of lizard-brain response from the mere mention of it's existence.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kurieg posted:

As someone who's new to Stormblood content I have no idea what Eureka is other than it seemingly invoking some kind of lizard-brain response from the mere mention of it's existence.

It's grinding levels but the levels give you nothing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Daynab posted:

What's going to be the quickest way to get a new job to 70 to start the expansion stuff? I've always grinded an existing job in the past but I want to main GNB now.

Given tank queues might be rocky for a day or so...yeah it's probably gonna be challenge log + beast tribe (since SB beast tribes actually give decent XP) + HoH

the hot tip will be that since early access is before a reset you should fill up all the XP poo poo on your log up to the last item before logging out and then after maintenance you'll have two weeks worth of challenge log XP

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

M.c.P posted:

I mean yeah but the primal datacenter BA discord has been having a hilarious drama meltdown of late.

What happened?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I haven't played Eureka at all and I'll never will but I'm sure it's good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kurieg posted:

Eureka is a Final Fantasy XI Themepark where people with Stockholm Syndrome go to mindlessly grind for weeks on end to get pretty shiny armor and weapons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Daynab posted:

If you can snag a healer to level with you, dungeon spam 61+ should be stupid fast. Regular queues might be problematic though, as there will be far more tanks levelling pre ShB than healers.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

iirc in spite of the instance server being broke to hell for the first few days of Stormblood, PotD worked consistently enough that I was able to get RDM to 60 before the wall came down.

e: what I mean is if you're playing dancer and can't find fast queues try HoH.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

M.c.P posted:

Not that you still can’t get clears on it. It’s honestly not hard content. Just... takes a while to get there.

What’s the meltdown? I’m hoping to get to it fairly soon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the problem when people say "eureka is a mindless grind" is... no? not really? at least not when you start

if you 1v1 an enemy of your level, it's potentially lethal. you have to bang out full rotations several times and drink potions to not die, and that's against one enemy. it's not mindless, it's just a grind. you have to actively work at the grind.

and it blows rear end

then you join an NM train and it's so far on the other end of mindless it's actively boring. just do your full rotation for 10 minutes. die. who cares. get revived. whatever. get barely any reward. jump in a car and move onto the next one

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

I think I am prepared for Gunbreaker. Not shown: my tab where I'm reading about theorycrafting poo poo that won't matter once ShB launches and they wiggle around potencies.

Also Reprisal has a good animation for an ability you never notice

edit: https://ff14moomoo.com/hotbar_simulator2.html
here's the link if ppl wanna gently caress around with that site and do it for their own job on km+b or controller. the tooltips are in japanese but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. i also added my own keybinds there, the site doesnt have an option to edit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't know how you found NM trains so un-mindless that they were boring.

Because it was both mindless and boring.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

the problem when people say "eureka is a mindless grind" is... no? not really? at least not when you start

if you 1v1 an enemy of your level, it's potentially lethal. you have to bang out full rotations several times and drink potions to not die, and that's against one enemy. it's not mindless, it's just a grind. you have to actively work at the grind.

and it blows rear end

then you join an NM train and it's so far on the other end of mindless it's actively boring. just do your full rotation for 10 minutes. die. who cares. get revived. whatever. get barely any reward. jump in a car and move onto the next one

Most of my time in Eureka has been with friends partying up to do stuff. This definitely makes grinding more bearable but it's not what you would call a solution just because it's "how it used to be!!!". I don't think it's a crime that it was designed like this, but I do think they can keep that line of thinking while making it less of a pain for people who want to engage with parts of it but not the grind.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The levels are the worst part because they gatekeep actually grinding for something.

If Eureka just let you skip straight to the relic steps, it'd be more tolerable.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have definitely seen people try to sell me that Eureka is good actually because you get to socialize with the rest of the instance like you did in the old days!!!! As if the fact that you spend so much time doing nothing interesting that you're just bullshitting to pass the time is somehow a plus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah if EUR 2.0 does away with levels it'll be better. Maybe add Elemental Bonuses like late E1 has if they need progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Someone fill me in on the Primal BA drama I need to know which discord to join