Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's about both. Most people don't so much "Talk" about the books as "Vent" though. The show has pretty much dominated discussion for the past . . . when did the last book come out?

Before the show started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Before the show started

Like, it's true but you just shouldn't say it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Just as a heads' up, unless y'all have some good reasons for me to change my mind, I'm probably going to be closing this thread in a week or two just to give everything some, well, closure. It seems like it's time.

If people want to make a new megathread after that that's fine, this one's just been going since 2011 and now that the show's over it feels like we're in a new phase. If everyone thinks that's a bad idea and this specific thread should stay let me know.

Why would you close a thread that gets enough posts every day to stay on the front page of the sub forum?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This thread should live as long as the absolute fucker breathes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just re-read AGOT and whoever said Ned hosed up by not sending Loras to hunt down the Mountain was on the nose. Renly would never had fled when Robert died and then he would have never needed Little Finger.

On to clash since I still haven't washed the show poo from my brain. I've had to stop and dedicate time to reimagining the characters as they are in the books rather than the show and that poo poo is hard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TK-42-1 posted:

The Westerlings are Lannister bannermen. The theory is that Tywin had them use their daughter to gently caress Robb to ruin the Frey alliance and break up his coalition. I think there was something about her mom making her abort the baby after robb died but I haven’t read in a while.

The mom was feeding her a posset of crushed herbs and spices for fertility that most definitely was actually an abortive while she and Robb were married

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'd be fine with a new thread. Not sure why we would need to completely get rid of an ASoIaF thread in general though. There are threads about books from ye olden days, and they obviously aren't getting any more additions.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mastajake posted:

I'd be fine with a new thread. Not sure why we would need to completely get rid of an ASoIaF thread in general though. There are threads about books from ye olden days, and they obviously aren't getting any more additions.

There would certainly be a new OP, but I like the idea of this thread having existed as long as Dance has been out, so why not wait til Winds has(n't) come out to make a new one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This thread should not be closed. What is dead inside may never die.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is the Bad Thread, home to some of the most bizarre shenanigans in SA history

you cannot close it before its time has come and the Fucker breathes his last

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having a massive sprawling fantasy setting with hundreds of thousands of words to it is well suited to endless discussion, even more so if the text is never finished. GRRM never meant to but he created one of those medieval epics that we only have some pieces of to work with.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

esperterra posted:

There would certainly be a new OP, but I like the idea of this thread having existed as long as Dance has been out, so why not wait til Winds has(n't) come out to make a new one.

What is dead may never die

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It’s fun and accurate to dunk on the Starks for being stupid, but the fact they’re the most decent overlords in Westeros does have some payoff. And honestly, GRRM had to reverse Mary Sue his villains in order to get them to triumph time and again. There’s really no reason why the Lannister’s should continue to hold King’s landing other than the fact GRRM Deus Ex Machinas a bunch of poo poo to keep them there.

The loyalty the Starks engender in their minor houses means almost all of them will risk their lives and their children’s lives to overthrow the Bolton’s, and the Frey’s will likely all be extinguished by the end of the books. (The irony being that the most populous house that Walder Frey has been pushing into marriages and poo poo will all be undone by one heinous act).

Yup, I'm a huge fan of this kind of fan analysis and I'm bummed grrm is never gonna finish the books for us to see it pay off. The Starks survive while the ruthless pragmatic lannisters who say "you win or you die" and people think they're right, build a paper dynasty that gets torn apart because everyone hates them.

Mike N Eich posted:

But I did forget just how stupid GRRM made Ned in AGOT. It’s even worse in the book than it is in the show. Ned not only tells Cersei exactly what he’s gonna do, but turns down Renly’s offer of 100 swords on the basis of....nothing... other than not making Joffrey scared or some poo poo. At least in the show Renly makes his offer contingent on supporting his claim, which Ned obviously thinks is a bad idea.

The biggest mistake Ned makes isn't any individual action, it's that he trusts and confides in everyone, Renly, Littlefinger, even loving Cersei, with stuff he doesn't trust Robert with, but then he doesn't draw the conclusion that based on his own judgment Robert isn't someone he should be loyal and sticking his neck out for.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A Typical Goon posted:

What is dead may never die

i love my dead gay forums

but seriously there’s daily activity in this thread i don’t know why it’d be arbitrarily closed just because the show is over. is it generating a bunch of reports for dumb poo poo or something?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The show ending, while it was bad, has honestly revitalized my interest in the series more than since maybe right after Season 1 and Dance came out at the same time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah there's no real reason to close it beyond vague weasel-words like "it's time". Interest in the series might well be at an all time high regardless of how the tv show went.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea don’t close a thread that has 100+ posts daily just to start a new one. Let us see how many pages we can get to before GURM croaks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Seriously if there are problems you're seeing that make you want to close the thread just tell us so we can stop doing that because this thread is an important cultural artifact

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

jit bull transpile posted:

Seriously if there are problems you're seeing that make you want to close the thread just tell us so we can stop doing that because this thread is an important cultural artifact

It's the bad behavior that makes this thread a cultural artifact :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just as a heads' up, unless y'all have some good reasons for me to change my mind, I'm probably going to be closing this thread in a week or two just to give everything some, well, closure. It seems like it's time.

If people want to make a new megathread after that that's fine, this one's just been going since 2011 and now that the show's over it feels like we're in a new phase. If everyone thinks that's a bad idea and this specific thread should stay let me know.

You should not close the thread because there's no reason to close it besides the fact that you "feel like it."

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This thread will be around when I die, 10 years before WoW is released.

Edit: Just read the op again. This thread has been a staple in my time on SA

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 31, 2019

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I would like to see what lasts longer -- this thread or Martin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hell, I'll volunteer to take over IK duties for just this thread if it's too big of a pain in the rear end to mod. Please don't take another Bad Thread from us.

We just had to watch season 8 of GoT. Take pity on us!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Nah if we get an IK it should be botl

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
d'awww I didn't realize this specific thread meant that horrible much to people [carebear-hearts]

I thought the reaction would be people clamoring to compete over who got to write the OP for the next iteration :P Ok ok ok it'll stay open

TK-42-1 posted:

. is it generating a bunch of reports for dumb poo poo or something?

There was some of that yes -- people trawling through poo poo from 2012 or whatever, etc.

not a big deal either way

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The system works 😭💙

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

There was some of that yes -- people trawling through poo poo from 2012 or whatever, etc.

not a big deal either way

A new thread would make it a bit harder for people to do hell dumpy things. Might also encourage newer posters to come join the discussion post-show. A thread as big as this one can be daunting 'cause some goons insist on reading every page of a thread before posting.

This was not the first bad thread. It wouldn't be the last. But if it stays thats cool too.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
1578 pages? I guess may as well rename it to Winds of Winter pt 1+2.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
gotta let us hit 2000 pages before you shut us down.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Noooo you can't. New people reading the books need some place to rant.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dash Rendar posted:

A new thread would make it a bit harder for people to do hell dumpy things. Might also encourage newer posters to come join the discussion post-show. A thread as big as this one can be daunting 'cause some goons insist on reading every page of a thread before posting.

This was not the first bad thread. It wouldn't be the last. But if it stays thats cool too.

I read the entire thread before making my first post in it and everyone else can too

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I barely read the last page before I post. Live on the dangerous side people.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Katt posted:

I barely read the last page before I post. Live on the dangerous side people.

:hai:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A Typical Goon posted:

So I was reading the appendixs last night cause I'm a nerd like that and I have what I think is an original theory about the books that are never coming out. The appendix seem to hint at a possible Reach Civil War] We are constantly told through the books that the Reach is the most powerful region and the most powerful houses are the Tyrells, the Florents of Brightwater Keep, the Hightowers in Oldtown and the Tarlys. During Clash of Kings the Florents declare for Stannis because he's married to a Florent, but then Stannis eventually kills the Lord of the family (alester) for a +10 wind magic bonus. The next time the Florents really come up is in King's landing when they have their lands stripped due to the rebelling and their castle granted to Garlan Tyrell, the second Tyrell son.

I dont think it comes up again except for Garlan leaving to try to take back Brightwater Keep, but the appendix have a bunch of characters that arent even mentioned in the series that could come into play with this plotline. Apparently Alester had a son and a bunch of daughters that are married into very strong Reach houses. The appendix says his son Alekyne fled to Oldtown, where his sister Rhea is Lady Hightower. If it was just this I wouldnt have thought much of it but it turns his other sister is Melissa Tarly and married to Randyll Tarly. It seems a bit too coincidental that this character never mentioned yet that has a claim on the second best seat in the Reach just happens to be a brother in law to the Lords of the third and fourth best seats. Would the rest of the Reach lords be cool with the Tyrells controlling both Highgarden and Brightwater?

I hope Melissa becomes a POV character in the next book so we can follow this civil war through her eyes

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

if the bad thread is closed, GRRM wins
this cannot be allowed

PittTheElder posted:

Ned's only mistake was bringing Jory Cassel to the capital instead of twenty good men.

ned did in fact bring the fabled 20 Good Men along as part of his guard force

however, they are then dispatched with Beric

quote:

His eyes searched the faces along the wall. “Lord Beric,” he called out. “Thoros of Myr. Ser Gladden. Lord Lothar.” The men named stepped forward one by one. “Each of you is to assemble twenty men, to bring my word to Gregor’s keep. Twenty of my own guards shall go with you. Lord Beric Dondarrion, you shall have the command, as befits your rank.”

then later in the novel, Twenty Good Men are seen in Lannister service, wearing Lannister accoutrements.

quote:

Behind the throne, twenty Lannister guardsmen waited with longswords hanging from their belts. Crimson cloaks draped their shoulders and steel lions crested their helms.

From this, we can infer that the Twenty Good Men were traitors, or perhaps that they were aligned with the Lannisters all along and Ned misread their loyalties, as with Littlefinger.

without this personal betrayal, the Lannisters would have been unable to massacre Ned's retinue and complete their coup.

Sephyr posted:

One thing from the books that always struck me as endlessly odd was the Night's Watch. Is there any historical precedent, even vaguely, to an organization where you send your criminals, even the worst ones, and they get not only a full pardon but military training, weapons, armor and horses?

using war captives as military settlers used to be a big thing in late antiquity

you've got multiple frontiers - when you capture some enemies on one frontier, ship em to the opposite frontier and have em set up a military colony to help impede invasions in territory you can't afford to garrison normally

various dynasties in persia (with their slavery/captivity prohibition) were famous for this
a lot of roman "auxiliaries" were war prisoners in all but name
han dynasty westward expansion used political exiles and displaced peoples this way
etc

now, in all of these cases the military colonists would have been isolated by culture, language and economy from their new environs, unable to make common cause with the other people nearby. This is not the case with the Night's Watch who can talk to and do business with the people around them just fine

i think we just have to assume the northernmost northern houses (umbers, mountain clansmen etc) are super aggressive in hunting down deserters. Although it'd make more sense if the Watchmen had like, a brand or a tattoo that made it easy to spot em

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Make a new bad thread, worse than the last.

Let no surface gone unsticky.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

are we witness to the birth of preston 2.0

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What is dead may never die, but rises again, more furious that the fat man won't publish.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

esperterra posted:

It's not a joke though, it's not just a joke, he's really not working on the book, it's really never coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's not a joke though, it's not just a joke, he's really not working on the book, it's really never coming out.

thus the thread should never die