Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Finally beat the challenge run thanks to this guide. I even died twice and had a little time to spare. It gives good advice on which packs to use which cooldowns on, but what helped the most was seeing how he moved through normal monsters - He just charged through a pack and kept going, instead of charging twice through to kill them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Huh, I didn't think it was that hard. I got it on my 2nd try with about 20 seconds to spare. You just need to realize you're squishy and that charge does a ton of AoE damage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My charity primal (on monk) was a Blood Brother, and the second primal I got was String of Ears. There's probably some kind of LoN thorns crusader I've got started there, but at least if I blow a lv25 gem of ease to remove the level req on String of Ears, I'm going to have a pretty sweet power-leveling set of gear.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

objectively bad posted:

Couple of easy upgrades from you which should help your progress:

Craft level 70 rare daggers and upgrade them in the cube. 50% chance you'll get a pig sticker, the best weapon for invokers. You could cube your current weapon if you want to keep the double bombardments, though the damage from bombardments is negligible on invokers, belt of trove is primarily used for the set bonuses' damage reduction.

Invokers doesn't benefit from crit hits. So you want to try and use gear that doesn't have that stat and put a topaz in your weapon socket for extra thorns damage.

Doing both of these things is gonna double your dps.

Cool, I'll take a look at that this evening. I didn't even realize thorns didn't crit, I'm so used to throwing an emerald in weapons I didn't even stop to think about it.

I switched off Bombardment on the bar and put Akarat's in, because big strong crusader man gets bigger. I must have clicked something dumb, I shouldn't have Jekangbord in the cube - I had Akarat's Awakening in there prior, from a lower level one I got. That and Ivory Tower is pretty entertaining, thorns and shotgun.
Now I just need to roll some better stats on my stuff, get a Traveler's for the Walk set, and find better rings to cube and wear.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Since we are showing off our transmogs, my fighting game character is best character.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crusader LON: better to do shield or hammer? I’m starting to get most of he pieces for both.
Right now I’m doing the flail that makes it free to cast, Cubing the bracers and shield that buff the shield throw and putting 2 random ancients in their slot for the ancient buff. I think I have about 8 ancients currently (I tried ancient weapon and it’s less damage than the build appropriate non ancient)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the ancient's probably better?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

And you can augment it with a gem for more damage!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
But one less max discipline and a much lower legendary power roll, which take a decent chunk out of that 22%.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Easy math says 1*3 = 3 and 1.22*2.69 = 3.28. So assuming you're rolling disc to be the same, the ancient is better, yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bio347 posted:

Easy math says 1*3 = 3 and 1.22*2.69 = 3.28. So assuming you're rolling disc to be the same, the ancient is better, yes.

No, Area Damage for sure.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Star Man posted:

And you can augment it with a gem for more damage!

I mean that's always a general guideline, my wizard thinks a 2h ancient stat-stick is "more damage" than my wand too

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Oooh, a red beam, and it's an Aquila, and...oh, FFS:

I'm guessing there isn't a LoN build for spike trap.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

bamhand posted:

Huh, I didn't think it was that hard. I got it on my 2nd try with about 20 seconds to spare. You just need to realize you're squishy and that charge does a ton of AoE damage.

Squishy is obvious, and my Barb is levelled enough to understand how useful Furious Charge with that CDR rune is, but I don't have a LOT of experience with a barbarian, and it's not obvious to me how to best use the charge to kill and move fast, and it takes practice to understand which battles you should blow your emergency "don't die" skills on.

bamhand posted:

Unstable Sceptor and the offhand that buffs arcane orb should get you to Gr65 no problem (you manually cast orbs while keeping the damage buff from the offhand up). You can try gambling for that. Also there is a belt that halves your channeling cost so you should be able to channel forever with it. Also I think Ray of Frost has the cheapest channel cost, have you tried using that?

Gambling wasn't helping so I finally crafted Trumvirate in the cube and wow did that shoot my killing power up through the roof. I had it set to GR 50 because it was one I could do easily, but with that setup I did it so fast I unlocked all the way up to 62. I think I'll try to hit GR 70 without any set items on at all.

xiansi posted:

Oooh, a red beam, and it's an Aquila, and...oh, FFS:

I'm guessing there isn't a LoN build for spike trap.

I really hate the Spike Trap. It just doesn't seem very useful. You need to set up a field, lure enemies into it while not attacking, then attack to trigger it, and wow! That sucked! Too much effort for too little result.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 31, 2019

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I'm not good enough at barb for this week's CR; things sneezed on me and I died.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Magus42 posted:

I'm not good enough at barb for this week's CR; things sneezed on me and I died.

I've seen a few rants about this - do US servers have a different setup to EU?

CR this week for me was a Whirlwind barb (Wala!), with what looked like mostly not stupid gear, and completing it required holding down a button and randomly spamming all the other things when off cooldown.

And on the occasions when weekly challenge is an absolute WTF 'build', there's always the option of going public, because 4xWTF usually gets there in the end.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

xiansi posted:

And on the occasions when weekly challenge is an absolute WTF 'build', there's always the option of going public, because 4xWTF usually gets there in the end.

This. I've literally never done a CR solo. I've always either had a friend or three that needed it, or a friend or three that were up for a break from whatever we were doing to take 4 mins and go do the CR

I get that there are people that like to do them for the sake of what they are, but to me, they are just a short bounty run.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think US and EU differ but I have no idea what’s up with people saying it was hard, unless PC and Console differ too. On the switch mine was some Barb build that I guess was thorns based, which amounted to (for me, as a non barb player):

- Seeing all but two buttons were buffs, and one of those two buttons was a warrior charge
- Trying to kill the passive mobs outside and failing
- Realizing it was probably all thorns based
- Facecharging at everything in the rift while spamming the primary skill button that heals, the short CDs on CD, and the long cooldowns when health goes down
- Finish 2 minutes before par

e: Tried it on PC for shits and giggles, same build but this is one of those ones where the console's double damage orbs turn it from "a bit tight and don't gently caress up" to "laughably trivial", makes me wonder if they always pull their CR builds from PC or not

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 31, 2019

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

xiansi posted:

I've seen a few rants about this - do US servers have a different setup to EU?

Yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Done, GR 70 beaten. The primal I got was The Burning Axe of Sankis, which I'm particularly interested in using on a wizard, although I suppose I could if I change to fire. I suppose though that I should really do set dungeons at this point.

My inventory was overflowing with legendaries so I drained my entire supply of Death's Breaths to cube some of them.

So supposedly, this gives any Legendary you get this season (after level 70) a tiny chance to roll as a Primal (and a guaranteed chance it is flawed in some way which will drive you insane)?

Magus42 posted:

It took me a lot of tries. I posted a video guide someone made a page or so back. Basically, try to keep your Frenzy stacked at 10, don't let it drop, Furious Charge through groups, use Ignore Pain and WoB for Elites.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 31, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So supposedly, this gives any Legendary you get this season (after level 70) a tiny chance to roll as a Primal (and a guaranteed chance it is flawed in some way which will drive you insane)?

Correct.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

It took me a lot of tries. I posted a video guide someone made a page or so back. Basically, try to keep your Frenzy stacked at 10, don't let it drop, Furious Charge through groups, use Ignore Pain and WoB for Elites.

I don't care enough; I did a round of bounties instead for 16 of each mat :)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I feel like I'm hitting a wall with my necro, furthest I can push is GR40 and that's only with the seasonal gear for bone armor active. All my other attacks don't do enough damage to handle trash mobs quickly, and I get popped if a projectile tickles me. Am I missing some means of making my gear stronger without rebuilding my build each time I hit this part of the game or sup?

Note: I'm pretty casual and this is the hardest I've ever gone with the game :shobon:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Capn Beeb posted:

I feel like I'm hitting a wall with my necro, furthest I can push is GR40 and that's only with the seasonal gear for bone armor active. All my other attacks don't do enough damage to handle trash mobs quickly, and I get popped if a projectile tickles me. Am I missing some means of making my gear stronger without rebuilding my build each time I hit this part of the game or sup?

Note: I'm pretty casual and this is the hardest I've ever gone with the game :shobon:

Someone else can probably speak more for necro specifically, but “rebuilding your build” is generally it until much later, yeah. You can get incremental upgrades on pieces but for just about every class up to GR70-80, the major power boosts tend to come from “finding gear that specifically synergizes with your other pieces of gear”, which frequently means changing abilities/runes if you weren’t already specifically targeting an endgame build. The good news is finding those pieces tend to be an instant 5-10 GR jump at least, or at least making it so you don’t get sneezed to death in sub-70 GRs.

e: When in doubt, mimicing what people on the solo leaderboards are doing gear/skill wise will get you pretty drat far.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Check out this fun and engaging layout.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Sewerlevel.jpg

E: that's a fallen cathedral layout? Weird, never seen one that's just a straight line

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Was that a Greater Right, or a regular one?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I honestly don't remember.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zenithe posted:

Check out this fun and engaging layout.

I saw one exactly like this. I'd genuinely like to see the mapgen algorithm.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zarin posted:

Was that a Greater Right, or a regular one?

Greater. Regular rifts use the single-player maps. Greater Rifts have a time limit so they are much narrower and more linear.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

In all honesty I'd love an option that let me get nothing but maps like that for when I'm fishing for good rifts.

poo poo, I'd pay two stones a go if it meant not-lovely map layouts.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I only ever get layouts like that for the cow rift.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

barring a primal at least my weapon hunt for the season is over. Leveling up a gem to augment it now.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 31, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Not even 1900 top-end bonus damage, salvage.

(in all seriousness, congrats, that's gorgeous)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you reroll the RCR does it split it back into two separate lines?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Greater. Regular rifts use the single-player maps. Greater Rifts have a time limit so they are much narrower and more linear.

Really? I know there are a couple maps that don't show up in grifts but did not know that they designed the grift tile algrothim to specifically be narrower and morr linear. Doesn't sound quite right but I'm usually only half paying attention in this game

5er
Jun 1, 2000

tetsuo posted:

barring a primal at least my weapon hunt for the season is over. Leveling up a gem to augment it now.

Yeah you think you're done, but unless you already got one, you're probably farming up db's to go after an ancient Dead Man's.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

Really? I know there are a couple maps that don't show up in grifts but did not know that they designed the grift tile algrothim to specifically be narrower and morr linear. Doesn't sound quite right but I'm usually only half paying attention in this game

I've only ever seen a straight line for a prison tileset rift

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is there any curation of challenge rifts? was this one supposed to be interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

is there any curation of challenge rifts? was this one supposed to be interesting?

The curation is to run a find all script to pull every GR45-55 and then rand a single run from the result. The script finishes by pushing the match to staging. An unpaid intern from Overwatch then manually reviews the build and if they sign off on it, they push it to live.

See, curated.