Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

So this is probably not Awful.apk's fault, but when highlighting texts and using web search it uses the silly Samsung Internet app instead of set-as-default Firefox. Is there another place to check besides default apps in Android settings?

Yeah that text select popup is a system thing, we add a BBcode option to it but the rest is whatever the system has added to it (including other apps registering stuff). Try going into your settings, find Apps and the Samsung app, do Advanced and Clear Defaults, and see if that lets you pick Firefox instead next time you try a search

The way Android works is you have these things called Intents that basically represent different kinds of actions - "compose an email to this address", "do something with an image", "open a url" - and you can set a default app to handle those, instead of asking you every time when you have multiple apps that can handle a thing. So you've probably set Firefox to handle all the "open a url" intents, but "do a web search" is a different intent. So you're not setting Firefox to "handle all browsery stuff", you're doing it for specific actions, and the web search one is probably handled by the Samsung app

(Also Awful handles some forums URLs which is why you can have them open in the app instead of your browser, it's like another more specific intent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I switched to a Galaxy s7 and I'm not able to press the 3 dots at the top right of any post. Is this a known issue?

As I go to post this, I'm also getting some flashing/stuttering when I got to preview a post.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I switched to a Galaxy s7 and I'm not able to press the 3 dots at the top right of any post. Is this a known issue?

As I go to post this, I'm also getting some flashing/stuttering when I got to preview a post.

Also update Chrome if it's installed.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Charles posted:

Also update Chrome if it's installed.

That got it thanks! Haha, I read the last page before posting, but not the post the first post was referring to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Turn on automatic updates you idiots.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Turn on automatic updates you idiots.

You've seen the reactions when the font changes around here. Do you honestly believe those same people could handle not personally vetting every app update?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can we change the three dots to three seashells since they are ineffable to n00bs

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm so loving tired of people calling it a "hamburger menu" at work

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You mean they're calling the dots the hamburger menu?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm so loving tired of people calling it a "hamburger menu" at work

That's its name??

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah not the dots. I'm fine with calling the lines that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah not the dots. I'm fine with calling the lines that.

It's a very thin burger

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's its name??

Yes we call it that here at work too. It's dumb but whatever I get it

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I call it the burg

:burgerpug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's literally the name of that UI element. Next you're going to tell me you hate it when people call them radio buttons.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not really a burg though. Maybe a plate of skewers?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Explorer posted:

It's literally the name of that UI element. Next you're going to tell me you hate it when people call them radio buttons.

Oh no, is that what I sound like on the internet?

gently caress.

Still, I completely agree.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 15, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maybe we need Jinyang to make a hamburger - not hamburger app.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

spankmeister posted:

Maybe we need Jinyang to make a hamburger - not hamburger app.

Hamburger apps are called sliders.
Namaste.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I can't rate threads? No matter what I get "a network error occurred".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Am I missing a setting somewhere to automatically bookmark a thread when I post in it?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah that's already fixed but not in the play store version yet. I was delaying the update to fix the twitters but that turned out to be more complex than expected and I haven't had time to work on it again yet.

I think I'll push the current build later today and make a .1 version when the tworps work again.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sereri posted:

Yeah that's already fixed but not in the play store version yet. I was delaying the update to fix the twitters but that turned out to be more complex than expected and I haven't had time to work on it again yet.

I think I'll push the current build later today and make a .1 version when the tworps work again.

Came here to say the Twitter thing is really killing me but instead I get to say thank you for working on a fix we appreciate what you do

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Not a bug report, just a funny glitch:

The thread was fully read, then I showed only posts by a poster with multiple pages worth. Swiped back to the bookmarks after looking only at the first page and presto.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've seen that negative max int thing a few times; generally means something doesn't get initialized in time for render and a refresh usually clears it up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sometimes this happens:

When it does it does it for every thread I open. Problem goes away after closing the app fully and restarting it.

My Android and webview are all up to date. I'm on the beta.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's a stupid feature request but I would love to be able to turn on the profanity filter on somehow.

I'm sure it's difficult and stupid for no deal gain, but I just miss seeing the conversations seeming more polite.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a stupid feature request but I would love to be able to turn on the profanity filter on somehow.

I'm sure it's difficult and stupid for no deal gain, but I just miss seeing the conversations seeming more polite.

It wouldn't surprise me if the devs tell you to gently caress off.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Wasabi the J posted:

These might not be the the right forums for you.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the devs tell you to gently caress off.

Reminds me waaaay back before I ever joined, I thought that it was a big inside joke that everyone talked that way. Imagine my shock when I actually made an account and realized that people were swearing! :aaa:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Taffer posted:

Reminds me waaaay back before I ever joined, I thought that it was a big inside joke that everyone talked that way. Imagine my shock when I actually made an account and realized that people were swearing! :aaa:

I've seen people join and not taking the time to lurk after joining and actually typing "gently caress" out into their posts. Until they were ridiculed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hipster_Doofus posted:

These might not be the the right forums for you.

It's funny to read and that's what I'm here for.

Taffer posted:

I figured it out, I just didn't mind reading threads that way because I am trying to swear less in general but it's hard when you read it so often.

Also it was just a dumb request I have no idea what can and cannot be done very easily. I'm sorry, I meant no offense!

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 9, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

It's funny to read and that's what I'm here for.

I figured it out, I just didn't mind reading threads that way because I am trying to swear less in general but it's hard when you read it so often.

Also it was just a dumb request I have no idea what can and cannot be done very easily. I'm sorry, I meant no offense!

Don't sweat it, I doubt anyone was offended. It wasn't a dumb request... just an unusual one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carbon dioxide posted:

I've seen people join and not taking the time to lurk after joining and actually typing "gently caress" out into their posts. Until they were ridiculed.

Can confirm, that happened to me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Update chrome.

Didn't work. Forums super slow and wonky.

E: whelp glad for that! Thanks thread!

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 14, 2019

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Update chrome.

Didn't work. Forums super slow and wonky.

It's not an awful app issue, SA's host itself seems to be having issues.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I'm unable to rate threads. I get an error about checking my network connecting. Sometimes the error appears immediately and other times I'll get a good ten second loading wheel and then the error. Anyone else?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I'm unable to rate threads. I get an error about checking my network connecting. Sometimes the error appears immediately and other times I'll get a good ten second loading wheel and then the error. Anyone else?

That should be fixed in 3.6.6, not sure if that's beta only still.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The devs leverage machine learning to analyze all of your posts to determine whether or not your vote is valuable and if it's not they firewall your votes. Awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
3.6.5 was the best I could get from the play store. Thanks for the heads up, I'll nab it when it comes out of beta.