Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

Are you sure the location is based on which day the event is at in the rotation?
I have done 2 quests in 1 day earlier in the event and could have sworn i got sent to 2 different locations.

Im in Olvia so there is not a lot of people competing for the spots. The only time i found it problematic to get kills was during one of the Mansha days and i just changed channel.

Also not meant as a nicpick, just trying to clarify what you said:

Today was the first day of ogre ring and fogans was first. ?

you might have done it in between a reset or something but where it sends you is based on the day yeah. you can even leave an alt at heidel and your main in the location and just ping pong back and forth real fast.
also yeah everyone just has a different starting day. it's also seeded so me and my partner randomed different days so we can't even ever help each other out because black desert online loves saying gently caress off to group content lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Basically all grind spots are a lot easier than they were before, both because of increased ap scaling at higher ap values as well as reducing the hp of all of the mobs. A year ago, you probably needed like 180 AP to grind fogans to its fullest...now you need like 120. Bandits/crescents are similar--dropping from like 50+ ap required for maximum speed on a witch.

So far it rotated each day between the 3 in order so I always got 2 of each spot for each accessory since I did my quests every day. You can supposedly save up the letters and do all of them in one spot should you choose to as the quests will be in the same place as long as you do them on the same day. The order of rotation is (probably) fixed, but each account has a different initial spot so not everyone on the server is piling into one spot

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
alright, that clears things up

So i can accept the quest on my processer hanging out in heidel and do the quest on another character? I never realised that the quest log was account wide

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

you might have done it in between a reset or something but where it sends you is based on the day yeah. you can even leave an alt at heidel and your main in the location and just ping pong back and forth real fast.
also yeah everyone just has a different starting day. it's also seeded so me and my partner randomed different days so we can't even ever help each other out because black desert online loves saying gently caress off to group content lmao

Nah it is random, I have nagas every day last week.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

alright, that clears things up

So i can accept the quest on my processer hanging out in heidel and do the quest on another character? I never realised that the quest log was account wide
Only some quests are account wide - mostly these event quests, but there's a couple others.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

ok so trip report for the DUO Ogre quests

Day 1: Fogans
Day 2: Did not get the quest, as per above it was probably Hexe
Day 3, quest 1: Helms
Day 3, quest 2: Helms
Day 4: Fogans (Today i realised i can check which enemy you need, without having to pick up the quest, which makes me regret not checking on day 2)

So far it looks like it is a fixed rotation, and it goes Fogans - Hexe - Helms - Fogans, with everyone having a random start position in the rotation.

EDIT: Day 5 is Hexe

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 8, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Now that the TRI event is over i had time to do other things so i figured id use all the various valk scrolls i had to enchant some gear (i had like 30 of these things, including 8 over +45)

So now i have full DUO Boss gear, after buying each slot at +12 (MUCH cheaper than +13) and going from there.
I also have DUO ogre, dande, kzarka, nouver, red coral rings, basilisk belt and 2 +0 Tungrad rings.

Not really sure where to go from here, both in terms of gear and adventuring?

Accessories are spectacularly expensive for little benefit so i assume i should focus on getting my weapons up to TRI then TET before starting on going higher on accessories?

Where do i go to beat up dudes? Fogans was an absolute breeze when i went there for the TRI quests but navigating in the desert really stresses me out.
My stats are 180 AP, 179 awk AP and 256 DP iirc (not at home to check)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Now that the TRI event is over i had time to do other things so i figured id use all the various valk scrolls i had to enchant some gear (i had like 30 of these things, including 8 over +45)

So now i have full DUO Boss gear, after buying each slot at +12 (MUCH cheaper than +13) and going from there.
I also have DUO ogre, dande, kzarka, nouver, red coral rings, basilisk belt and 2 +0 Tungrad rings.

Not really sure where to go from here, both in terms of gear and adventuring?

Accessories are spectacularly expensive for little benefit so i assume i should focus on getting my weapons up to TRI then TET before starting on going higher on accessories?

Where do i go to beat up dudes? Fogans was an absolute breeze when i went there for the TRI quests but navigating in the desert really stresses me out.
My stats are 180 AP, 179 awk AP and 256 DP iirc (not at home to check)

Accessories are more beneficial than you might think, just because of how the game awards tons of bonus AP just for hitting certain thresholds of AP. These AP brackets are what I'm talking about. Right now you're in the 170-183 bracket which gives 15 "hidden" AP. Once you hit 184 AP that becomes 20 AP, and so on. These bonuses become more significant the higher your AP goes.

So for gearing, you want to consider how much silver per AP each upgrade costs, but if you're close to moving up to a higher AP Bracket that can skew those calculations.

The jump from duo to tri on weapons and armor is very significant. However do note that if you fail a tri attempt on weapons/armor, they go back to pri. Accessories blow up when they fail. Getting your weapons to tri would be a huge jump. Dande first, then kzarka. However once they are at Tri I would keep them there for a very long time, as tet is extremely expensive. For accessories, if all of your accessories are at the same "tier" and enhancement level (by tier I mean blue versus yellow accessories), then a rule of thumb is upgrading them in this order: rings, neck, belt, earrings. Basically go clockwise around the gear screen, as that will generally be the most silver per AP. In your case your red coral rings is the place to start for accessory upgrades - get crescent rings as you can afford. Tungrad earrings are insanely expensive, I would try to get duo or tri witch earrings and worry about tungrad earrings much, much later in your gear progression.

For armor, 250ish DP is plenty for the pve activities youll be doing for the foreseeable future. Until you start getting to end game pve, DP is more of a stat for pvp purposes than anything. And pvp is largely avoidable at the spots you'll be at for a long time.

Consider getting a kutum offhand. It will be better than nouver in pve for quite a long time, then there is an ap bracket where nouver is better, and then a later bracket where kutum becomes king again.

Regarding where to go, I'd say in no particular order - desert nagas, fogans, bashims. Nagas drop more blackstones, fogans drop more scrolls. Grind whichever you need more. Bashims drops a mishmash of everything - scrolls, stones, crystals, rosar gear. Technically 180 AP is on the low end of when gahaz also becomes doable, but you'll have to deal with a lot more players at gahaz so I can't really recommend it. Cadrys are probably too tanky to clear efficiently at your gear level but you could poke in there too. Ignore basilisks/centaurs/pila ku/sulfur for now. You could kill crescents but it probably isn't worth it with the current price of crescent rings.

Other spots - I think these are worse than the above 3 valencia spots for you, but if you want a change of scenery these spots could be considered in no particular order. Pirates, sausans, fadus (kamasylvia), tshira ruins, bloodwolf town (drieghan),

The desert seems scary at first but it's almost entirely empty. Desert navigation is basically point in the direction of your destination and run in a straight line. Just pay enough attention so you don't autorun into an aakman/hystria portal. Going to fogans is basically just pointing southeast, if you hit the mountain ranges on the south you went too far south so then you just head east until you see palm trees and there are your fogans. Getting a camel helps, there is a quest to get one in sand grain bazaar. It levels up and learns skills like a horse. Although some classes have enough innate speed that they can move almost as fast as a camel anyway. If you're running the desert at night pay attention so you don't run into a laytenn (the big stone ogre lookin dudes), they will mess you up. But they only spawn at night.

You can use purified water to remove the daytime heat stroke debuff, and star anise tea to remove the nighttime freezing debuff. If these aren't on the market, they are sold by the goods NPC in sand grain bazaar. Also most classes have enough hp sustain in their kit so that if you are grinding, you out heal those debuffs anyway and can ignore them.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
save your cron stones for pen attempts by the way

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks !

Lots of info to take in.

I was kinda hoping one of the new areas south of Calpheon would be good, several of those spots are within my AP range if the map overlay is true. (New areas to me, Kamasylve pt1 was just added when i quit playing last time)

J
Jun 10, 2001

This game can be so funny sometimes. Today all the sicil's necklaces sold out and there were shitloads of them listed. It's not a good item and not in demand at all.

Apparently enough people bought into a very badly photoshopped MSPaint image of a quest on the korean server, and that was enough to sell out the entire market. People were making tri sicil's necks all day today. I had 8 sicils on the market, easy money in my pocket.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
I just got this and I must say that in many years of playing mmos I've never felt so completely lost at the beginning of one. If that beginning was supposed to be a tutorial, well, it wasn't. I have no idea how to get quests, where the quest it may or may not be saying I have is or much of anything else. I've spent a couple hours standing around clicking on things, pressing keys etc. but not learning much. My map tells me to RMB on the shiney area to the right, but I don't see any such on the map or the screen. Google just gets me guides telling me more advanced stuff I'd need once I could actually play the game. No real beginner walkthroughs. Yet you have all figured it out so clearly I've had an attack of stupid since my last couple of mmos.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Titus Vespasian posted:

I just got this and I must say that in many years of playing mmos I've never felt so completely lost at the beginning of one. If that beginning was supposed to be a tutorial, well, it wasn't. I have no idea how to get quests, where the quest it may or may not be saying I have is or much of anything else. I've spent a couple hours standing around clicking on things, pressing keys etc. but not learning much. My map tells me to RMB on the shiney area to the right, but I don't see any such on the map or the screen. Google just gets me guides telling me more advanced stuff I'd need once I could actually play the game. No real beginner walkthroughs. Yet you have all figured it out so clearly I've had an attack of stupid since my last couple of mmos.

This game has an absolute ton of stuff going on and the UI is not the greatest, it is definitely going to be confusing as poo poo for a very long time. Press O to open your quest log - it should show what quests you have, and most quests should generally have a little running man icon in the quest log on the right side that will auto path you to the objective area. Also at the bottom of the quest log there are 6 icons that function as quest filters - make sure they are all turned on (highlighted in orange.) Those buttons will actually completely filter out quests from the game entirely if they aren't turned on.

Other than that, press the comma key to pull up your black spirit. Black spirit will point you to all sorts of quest lines and areas of interest, and there should be a "guide" button to point you in the right direction for various in-game activities like life skills and stuff. Note though that when you're in the tutorial phase certain UI functions are hidden/disabled, so depending on how far you got you might not see that guide button. But you should still generally be able to pull up the black spirit menu to get some guidance on where to go.

The game is very open ended though as soon as you finish the tutorial. It has poo poo loads of traditional MMO style quests, but it's not like a themepark MMO where you HAVE to do those quests to progress. I do recommend doing the main story quests from the black spirit as they have very good rewards, but other than that do as much or as little questing as you want.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
So I'm coming back after a year and a lot has changed.

Why does the archer start with his awakening, but no other class does? Is this just going to be the new thing going forward or what?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

JackBadass posted:

Why does the archer start with his awakening, but no other class does? Is this just going to be the new thing going forward or what?

:iiam: i haven't played archer but it's the newest class so can't really say if that's always going to be a thing. I'm not sure if lahn was the same way since I haven't played any of the classes since mystic release. They've teased the next class already, so we'll see if that goes forward

J
Jun 10, 2001

gwrtheyrn posted:

They've teased the next class already,

Wait, what?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I guess it was a datamine rather than an actual teaser. Some shai class with boomerang + lantern as a weapons

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

gwrtheyrn posted:

:iiam: i haven't played archer but it's the newest class so can't really say if that's always going to be a thing. I'm not sure if lahn was the same way since I haven't played any of the classes since mystic release. They've teased the next class already, so we'll see if that goes forward

I made a new Lahn and it didn't come awakened like the archer, so who knows. If you ask me, they should just make it unlocked from the get-go for everyone.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Lahn was released before archer, so that's why.

Also keep in mind that on archer, you still have to do your awakening quest at 56. Until then, some of the awakening skills are locked and you can't use them. Probably all the good ones, idk, I haven't played archer past like level 10.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Picked this game up yesterday. So far enjoying it. Got a mystic in the early 20s, musa at 38 and wizard at 18 or so. When do skills builds become important? Currently my methodology has been randomly assign stuff, mash buttons, everything dies. Or I'll find 2-3 skills I like and use them a lot. I saw you can respec for free until 56 so I figured I should sort that out before then.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Picked this game up yesterday. So far enjoying it. Got a mystic in the early 20s, musa at 38 and wizard at 18 or so. When do skills builds become important? Currently my methodology has been randomly assign stuff, mash buttons, everything dies. Or I'll find 2-3 skills I like and use them a lot. I saw you can respec for free until 56 so I figured I should sort that out before then.

Yeah, and even when you are 56 you are not going to have enough skill points. I'm almost at 1900 and still have stuff to pick up.

But yeah, the push to 56 is just finding a bread and butter move and using it until you reach that level.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

if you grind to 60 only on the daily xp bonus you will have like 900 skill points. You need about 1200 to get all of the most critical skills on most classes. They've buffed combat xp many times but never skill xp, and this is the result

Note: the 56 reset lets you reset any character on your account for 24, and you get it for every character when you 56 + awaken them

J
Jun 10, 2001

Try all the skills before 56 since you can respec them as much as you want. Skill points are really precious, before I hit 56 on a new class I unspec everything except maybe 1 skill to kill stuff for the awakening quest since it may not be obvious what skills you need anymore after you have your awakening. You're going to be starved for skill points for a really long time. Even once you have all the main stuff there are going to be luxuries that take a very long time to get.

Also you can google "Black desert classname discord" and find an invite to the class discord channel, usually they have recommended skill builds linked there, as well as other guides.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Most of the class discords are complete poo poo for advice beyond skill builds and combos, by the way. Up until a couple months ago the official dk discord was basically an advertisement for reroll coupons.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
My mystic is level 52 purely by running through the questline thus far. I'm still using the rented Kaia weapon cause I have no idea wtf... My only enhanced thing is the +13 grunil helm you get from a quest.

edit: Alright, up to 55 now, I've got a +15 liverto, hoping to get the free PRI equivalent weapon. Also a couple pieces of +15 grunil(hat and feet). Chest is rolling the quest chest that seems like it's +15 or PRI equivalent.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 30, 2019

J
Jun 10, 2001

This is a pretty good guide for how to go about gearing up.

Also, make sure to check the loyalty shop this week and buy the 53 1 hour 530% exp / 530% skill exp scrolls for 1 loyalty each. They do combat exp bonuses all the time but never massive skill exp bonuses like that, so those scrolls are crazy.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I think I quit this game because the upgrade RNG mechanic turned out to be stupid af. of all the ways to implement f2p, this must be one of the dumbest ideas.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

J posted:

This is a pretty good guide for how to go about gearing up.

Also, make sure to check the loyalty shop this week and buy the 53 1 hour 530% exp / 530% skill exp scrolls for 1 loyalty each. They do combat exp bonuses all the time but never massive skill exp bonuses like that, so those scrolls are crazy.

Thanks that's actually a really awesome guide. I've kinda shortcircuited some of the process but it gives me a baseline to gun for. And I'm still in the farm stage of the gearing so I can save money for weapons.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

mike12345 posted:

I think I quit this game because the upgrade RNG mechanic turned out to be stupid af. of all the ways to implement f2p, this must be one of the dumbest ideas.

imagine the difficulty of hitting +15 on every enhance level up to +10 and also if you failed it just destroyed the entire item and you have the baseline for every other korean mmo lo

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The worst part of the enhancing system is all the loving prep work surrounding it. Gotta purposefully fail upgrades on cheap crap you don't care (whoops that actually upgraded time to waste more time) about to improve the chances on expensive stuff you do. And if you get an RNG downgrade, time to swap characters to attempt your reupgrade using a lower failstack to avoid wasting the higher chance.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Never really posted an image of my beautiful punch angel

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
That's fantastic. My only gimmick appearances have been hobo musa and trying to make my wizard look like Kael'Thas. It didn't work out great.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Never really posted an image of my beautiful punch angel

...that gets more horrifying the longer you look at it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

drat, I'd forgotten how beautiful all my characters were in this game

Nonsense all my characters are beatuful

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

lewtt posted:

Guilds are a bit weird in this game, but you can own towns and lands and poo poo, setting taxes and getting bonuses for guildies.
Parks and Rec is currently active goon guild!

Guess Parks and Rec is a NA guild, right?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chalkece posted:

Guess Parks and Rec is a NA guild, right?

Yes and active might be a slight stretch

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yes and active might be a slight stretch

What do you mean by "slight stretch"? So I shouldn't change from EU to NA?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chalkece posted:

There are maybe like 5-10 people that actually log in regularly and basically everyone does their own thing, and of those maybe 3 of us have the gear that would be needed for node warring except two of us can't due to schedules and you need like 30 minimum.

As for whether you want to play EU/NA, I can't answer that for you. I personally wouldn't just for the guild, but there are other reasons to go either way. I know nothing about any goon presence in EU. The only goon i know played on EU was ineptitude and i'm pretty sure he quit a long time ago

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Chalkece posted:

Im from EU and originally rolled on NA to play with goons, back when the game was newer and there was more activity, and to be honest there was zero activity at all for the ~3 months i played on NA.

I rerolled on EU which improved ping a bit. I don't PVP so i guess it didn't really matter. I play solo on EU because pubbies, so the end result is the same i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

gwrtheyrn posted:

There are maybe like 5-10 people that actually log in regularly and basically everyone does their own thing, and of those maybe 3 of us have the gear that would be needed for node warring except two of us can't due to schedules and you need like 30 minimum.

As for whether you want to play EU/NA, I can't answer that for you. I personally wouldn't just for the guild, but there are other reasons to go either way. I know nothing about any goon presence in EU. The only goon i know played on EU was ineptitude and i'm pretty sure he quit a long time ago

Sad. I really hoped to play with like 200 goons BDO - But thanks for the infos