Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think it gets said enough that Rose is Rose loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Gloomy Rube posted:

Is it really possible to be 20ish and be like this about camping? With no knowledge of what goes on or anything?

Probably not likely, but I suppose it is possible, if you grow up in a family that doesn't have any interest in camping and with friends who are similarly disinterested in it. Given the range of possibilities, though, the greater likelihood might be to arrive at age 20 with only vague notions and misinformation about it.

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

So, real question: would there be anything at all to Dick Tracy (any incarnation) as a work of serial art or entertainment without the doofy-named and physically-exaggerated villains? Or does the whole strip depend upon that gimmick?

The tubthumping guy is the only adversary I can recall who isn't grotesque, but I may not be remembering others. I quite liked tubthumping guy.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think it gets said enough that Rose is Rose loving sucks

It's poo poo. There's a lot going on and it's all bad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I appreciate that the parents in Daddy Daze are apparently divorced, but still on quite good terms.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TofuDiva posted:

So, real question: would there be anything at all to Dick Tracy (any incarnation) as a work of serial art or entertainment without the doofy-named and physically-exaggerated villains? Or does the whole strip depend upon that gimmick?

Well, the classic strips had cool gadgets (Tracy's wrist watch radio, Flattop jr.'s car...) plus detailed and imaginative death and torture scenes.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 31, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I may have missed it, since Allison writes comics for the long term, but is there something specific that made Blossom turn into an angry muscle geek?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mmm! Delicious tetanus!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I may have missed it, since Allison writes comics for the long term, but is there something specific that made Blossom turn into an angry muscle geek?

iirc Shauna unintentionally stole the boy Blossom liked during the Case of the Lonely One

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Monty

:3:

Garfield

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Being a giant-sized nerd is natural to Blossom. As for why she's so angry all the time, well.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
monty's back!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Gallas

Nancy

"Man, these children suck"

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Zip

Rip

Dick Feb. 3-4, 1932

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does Dustin just start out with these self-deprecating comments? Because geez, if so no wonder he can't get a date.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Mods, please change my name to "Strenuous Teddy."

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I know this is a bad comic, but all three of these are just plain awful. Like each of them contains representation of what makes this comic so bad. Normally these strips are just blasé wannabe Big Bang Theory nerd jokes, but every one of these is individually actively terrible.

Zereth posted:

I like the simplicity. Just a dog selling bones. He's just happy to be participating.
Your av is perfect. It always makes me smile.

F Minus

It's not nice, but it probably worked.

Macanudo

Holy poo poo this is a drat good strip!

Mark Trail

"Yeah, well as you said I'VE BEEN DOING THIS MOST OF MY LIFE AND I'M STILL HERE DRAGGING TOURISTS AROUND THIS GODFORSAKEN DESERT AREN'T I, rear end in a top hat?!"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Whoa! Professor! Let's not leave you alone with her anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Does Dustin just start out with these self-deprecating comments? Because geez, if so no wonder he can't get a date.

Maybe he read about negging but missed the part where you're supposed to say mean things about the other person.

I'm having lunch at the National Press Club and saw a familiar face in the wall.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Someone at Marvel put John Allison on X-Men so he can make Ice Cream Wars a reality.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone at Marvel put John Allison on X-Men so he can make Ice Cream Wars a reality.

Imgur is not being cooperative today, so....

https://imgur.com/ToU6nIP

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Speaking of, Allison's next big project was finally announced this week: Steeple, a 5-issue series for Dark Horse about the supernatural goings-on in a small British seaside community.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Strenuous Teddy looks like Petey Otterloop. Man, I miss Cul de Sac.

Pyton

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Haifisch posted:

Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Green Intern posted:

She always had the anger there, back from the Case of The Lonely One, but maybe Camp America had something to do with her turn towards the swole?

JethroMcB posted:

Speaking of, Allison's next big project was finally announced this week: Steeple, a 5-issue series for Dark Horse about the supernatural goings-on in a small British seaside community.

There's something...familiar about this, but I can't put my finger on it. :thunk:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Imgur is not being cooperative today, so....

https://imgur.com/ToU6nIP

I love how in super hero comics all of the heroes and villains are absolutely ripped. There are so few exceptions to this rule that the exceptions are notable usually because their power relates to their appearance.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Shauna will not be deterred from liking someone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've come to appreciate how Libby only speaks in parallelograms.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For people having trouble with imgur, yes. The redesign made it willfully obtuse. You now have to manually add the .png (or whatever) yourself when copy/pasting the share to BBS thing.

This is not how conversations work.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JethroMcB posted:

Well!

I guess I'm buying my first comic books in 20 or so years.

(my complete Hellboy collection doesn't count, that poo poo is graphic novels son!)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

For people having trouble with imgur, yes. The redesign made it willfully obtuse. You now have to manually add the .png (or whatever) yourself when copy/pasting the share to BBS thing.

I've always just used right-click, Copy Image Location, then ctrl-V into the message window. The forum adds the right [img] formatting. :shrug:

quote:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Imgur has decided actually hosting images is less important than providing a home for school shooter fan clubs

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Imgur has decided actually hosting images is less important than providing a home for school shooter fan clubs

I thought they were all on Tumblr, or is that the serial killer fans?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Was not expecting a Belegariad name drop, dang.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've always just used right-click, Copy Image Location, then ctrl-V into the message window. The forum adds the right [timg] formatting. :shrug:
Same here. I even go directly to the upload page ever since they removed the "mash ctrl-v on the home page to upload" functionality.

Kavak posted:

I thought they were all on Tumblr, or is that the serial killer fans?
Imgur's community is an even worse knock-off of reddit.

Now consider how terrible reddit already is.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Haifisch posted:

Same here. I even go directly to the upload page ever since they removed the "mash ctrl-v on the home page to upload" functionality.
They added that back in at some point, probably because it was incredibly stupid to remove it in the first place.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesy Blaise

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Huxley posted:

Oh hey, that little girl's name is Kevin and he's not a girl.
Went through the same realization. Probably because they look like the kid from Spirit of the Staircase.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Haifisch posted:

Imgur's community is an even worse knock-off of reddit.

It seems so drat weird to consider that imgur has a community.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Fighting Trousers posted:

Was not expecting a Belegariad name drop, dang.
I almost dropped the red Murgo gold I was counting in surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesy Blaise

lmao, those thugs have the worst luck :allears: