Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Also fortunately it's next to impossible to die in that game anyway

That's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ALBW ftw

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

game owns and that was a neat wrinkle on the formula that was mostly ineffective because it was too easy to just buy poo poo

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I mean it still feels alright to buy it outright, even if it's easy

Feels like you're... cheating the system, or something. Makes me think the shopkeeper is a fool, to be letting these items go for such prices, and that I am a genius for paying a premium to own the item outright. That I am subverting his intentions of repoing my corpse—he knows I'm gonna die at least once, I've never been to these dungeons so he knows he's gonna get to take the loving item back so I'll just loving buy it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got to the top of a mountain only to discover that I need an axe. I went back down the mountain, checked every building in town, rented every available tool, still no axe.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gripweed posted:

I got to the top of a mountain only to discover that I need an axe. I went back down the mountain, checked every building in town, rented every available tool, still no axe.

drat, game must be broken, take it back

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think there are any axes in Zeldo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't think there are any axes in Zeldo

The symbols on the pillars next to the wood poles blocking the way looked like an axe to me

edit: OK, it turns out it was a hammer. I can't believe I went up the mountain immediately after being told something i need is up the mountain, instead of returning to my house first to discover that it had been turned into a tool rental shop and renting every tool available. That's my bad.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 31, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think you want the hammer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gripweed I don't think you're very good at games

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Please give updates as you progress through the game. If you can live stream it, even better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gripweed I don't think you're very good at games

I kicked rear end at Breath of the Wild.

Waltzing Along posted:

Please give updates as you progress through the game. If you can live stream it, even better.

I don't stream, and I don't think it's even possible to stream a 3DS game. But I can do updates itt

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool. Just remember...take out every single item from the store. Then don't die. Then spend all your rupees so that you own the items. This is partly why you are given so many rupees constantly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gripweed posted:

I don't stream, and I don't think it's even possible to stream a 3DS game. But I can do updates itt

Totally possible to stream 3DS. Requires modifying either the hardware or the firmware though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

endlessmonotony posted:

Totally possible to stream 3DS. Requires modifying either the hardware or the firmware though.

Or just using a camera.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

The only company still making 3DS capture hardware went out of business a few months ago :smith:

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/02/05/the-3ds-capture-card-business-is-over/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I beat the mountain dungeon and got a necklace. All I needed was the hammer. I rented every single thing from the store because I didn't know what I needed, and it turns out the answer is none of it except the hammer.

Now I have all this stuff, I don't know what most of it is for, but there's still things that it seems like I can't do. Like, I wanna rescue all the baby crabs. But a lot of them are up in places I can't get to, and I don't know if one of the 20 tools I'm carrying around could do something. I don't think so, I think I'll gain abilities later, like the swimming I'm supposed to learn from the Zora. So I'll unlock abilities as I go along, but also unlock knowing what the gently caress I'm supposed to do with this poo poo I rented as I go along too

I know some of you said that the way this game does tool is good and gives LbW it's charm, but you're wrong. It's a terrible system. Either do like BotW and give me a small set of tools that lets me do everything from the get go, or do like OoT and introduce new tools as the game goes along. This weird halfway system is terrible.

why do I have a lamp and a fire wand? What's the loving point of giving me two different items that both do fire?

What makes it more annoying is that I'm enjoying the actual gameplay. The switching between painting and human forms while activating switches that move platforms, that stuff is great. I'd be down with a game that's nothing but that.

I'm sure that as I go along and discover what each of the 25 different gadgets I'm carrying does as I finally encounter situations that need them, I'll forget about how annoying it was to have them all dumped on me at the beginning like this. But right now, at the beginning, it's terrible and they shouldn't have done it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
LBW also has every single dungeon and side area require exactly 1 gadget and spams the same puzzles over and over again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The symbols you talked about before tell you exactly what you need to bring to the dungeon.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Gripweed posted:

I beat the mountain dungeon and got a necklace. All I needed was the hammer. I rented every single thing from the store because I didn't know what I needed, and it turns out the answer is none of it except the hammer.

Now I have all this stuff, I don't know what most of it is for, but there's still things that it seems like I can't do. Like, I wanna rescue all the baby crabs. But a lot of them are up in places I can't get to, and I don't know if one of the 20 tools I'm carrying around could do something. I don't think so, I think I'll gain abilities later, like the swimming I'm supposed to learn from the Zora. So I'll unlock abilities as I go along, but also unlock knowing what the gently caress I'm supposed to do with this poo poo I rented as I go along too

I know some of you said that the way this game does tool is good and gives LbW it's charm, but you're wrong. It's a terrible system. Either do like BotW and give me a small set of tools that lets me do everything from the get go, or do like OoT and introduce new tools as the game goes along. This weird halfway system is terrible.

why do I have a lamp and a fire wand? What's the loving point of giving me two different items that both do fire?

What makes it more annoying is that I'm enjoying the actual gameplay. The switching between painting and human forms while activating switches that move platforms, that stuff is great. I'd be down with a game that's nothing but that.

I'm sure that as I go along and discover what each of the 25 different gadgets I'm carrying does as I finally encounter situations that need them, I'll forget about how annoying it was to have them all dumped on me at the beginning like this. But right now, at the beginning, it's terrible and they shouldn't have done it.

lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gripweed posted:

fire wand does fire tactically/offensively. lamp hangs from your belt and provides light in dark areas

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

equip an item
press the item button
you now know what the item does

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The symbols you talked about before tell you exactly what you need to bring to the dungeon.

They should just have the item you need for the dungeon leaning on the wall next to the dungeon door

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jesus Christ

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i know that even if you design something with the goal to make it idiotproof there will still be someone who has a hard time with it, it's just so rare you get to see that idiot make themselves known like this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I’m actually stunned

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't care what y'all say, giving you a big sack of twenty gadgets, each of which will be useful at one point some time in the future, isn't good. The way other Zeldas do it is better.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i guess it would be weird to expect otherwise from the guy who had trouble with the "ladder maze" in mega man 2 that had three possible routes and every dead end (all two of them) contained a reward

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 1, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

absolutely anything posted:

i guess it would be weird to expect otherwise from the guy who had trouble with the "ladder maze" in mega man 2 that had three possible routes and every dead end (all two of them) contained a reward

iirc I think my real problem with that part was that I was just tired of the game and wanted it to be over

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't believe you are this bad at video games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think Gripweed's complaints about LBW's item system are that unreasonable. It wasn't a good way to hand out items and it directly impacted dungeon puzzles and made them worse.

BOTW did the same concept much better.

I still like LBW a lot regardless though, and I don't think it's hard to figure out what the items do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LBW was basically a dry run for BOTW.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think Gripweed's complaints about LBW's item system are that unreasonable. It wasn't a good way to hand out items and it directly impacted dungeon puzzles and made them worse.

BOTW did the same concept much better.

I still like LBW a lot regardless though, and I don't think it's hard to figure out what the items do.

I agree and also don’t like how it basically made the difficultly of every dungeon the same as well. Still a great game though and I like how they tried something new.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

LBW was basically a dry run for BOTW.

Skyward Sword was moreso (Stamina system, breakable equipment, Limited inventory, upgrade system, a more fleshed out story). The big things were ditching the motion controls, making the game open world and making the cutscenes optional instead of required.

LBW doesn't really have anything that actually fed into BotW's design except a step toward non-linearity. Which it doesn't even fully commit to. It created a traditional linear Zelda where every dungeon is the difficulty and complexity of dungeon 1 and let you do them in almost any order.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

Skyward Sword was moreso (Stamina system, breakable equipment, Limited inventory, upgrade system, a more fleshed out story). The big things were ditching the motion controls, making the game open world and making the cutscenes optional instead of required.

Actually Skyward Sword tried to have a semblance of open world by reusing the dungeons and general hub areas. It just does it very badly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually Skyward Sword tried to have a semblance of open world by reusing the dungeons and general hub areas. It just does it very badly.

Eh, they more tried to erase the open world and make everything an extension of the dungeons. Which is why every non-Skyloft area is chock full of designed puzzles and combat.

BotW essentially reversed that and gave you an almost entirely open world that was sparsely populated and had few explicit puzzles. Its much more about using your toolkit to interact with the wide open world instead of the more traditional route of finding a series of keys to overcome specific puzzles.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They are both bad Zelda games. LBW, OTOH, is a good Zelda game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think someone posted this guy earlier in the thread, but he talks about Skyward Sword & Breath of the Wild's failures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Q2wREAwRM

Big BotW fan but his criticisms are valid

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It seems like every 3DS game they could do it, Nintendo put a part where the camera is above you and you walk underneath something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have no idea what I'm missing in the Dark Palace and it is the most annoying dungeon to wander around in