Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

Now now, sex workers and erotic dancers perform valuable services to society and should not be used as derogatory examples :colbert:

I draw the line with sex workers at rust under the trunk lid, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kraftwerk posted:

Why not a Camry XSE V6? Seems like the better long term buy than the Accord. But you do give up cooled seats.

The best car imo would be new Lexus IS upgraded to keep up with the BMW and Audi offerings with a twin turbo V6 option from the LS500.

Why the goddamn hell does the XSE V6 not have cooled seats? That is so dumb. Toyota is ahead of the curve on certain stuff and just blindly behind several years on others, just like their infotainment garbage.

I get that they want to push people into an overpriced Lexus but come on.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Something Offal posted:

Why the goddamn hell does the XSE V6 not have cooled seats? That is so dumb. Toyota is ahead of the curve on certain stuff and just blindly behind several years on others, just like their infotainment garbage.

The only way to get cooled seats in a Toyota Sedan is to buy a Toyota Avalon Limited.

By the way the V6 is detuned compared to the ES300 which sits on the same platform as all the other cars.

From a user experience perspective I love most of the VW/Audi offerings and I really like cars like the 3 series or the 5 series. I just can’t stand the fact that they’re all designed to be walked away from after 80,000 miles or warranty end. I love this idea of owning a vehicle long term and not giving up on it.

I’ve been a Toyota fanboy for a long time. Their cars are very well built and ingeniously designed to be worked on easily. It’s just extremely annoying to deal with their infotainment and aesthetics now. The LC500 would be almost perfect if the infotainment was more like MMI and they had a turbo port/direct injected V8.

What really gets me is that for European customers any VW/Audi engine is now port and direct injected. Yet for some reason their North American models are all strictly direct injected which further harms engine longevity unless you’re willing to walnut blast.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like you would love the idea of driving a beater and not giving a gently caress of the windows roll down or the trunk opens.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i think you're misunderstanding something about the Nazimobile ownership experience

they are not designed to be walked away from, people just walk away from them because the cost is prohibitive. if you're stupid enough, you can keep a BMW running until the end of time.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A friend of mine sold his 2 year old X3 to another friend, got an eTron.

1) Very impressed with the interior quality of the X3. Everything is nicely detailed, well put together, feels nice.

2) eTron is also very nice - he got a launch edition, so it has all the bells and whistles. 200 miles on a charge seems to be working out nicely for him.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Something Offal posted:

The general lack of cooled/ventilated seats is proof that cars are not designed in the south.

It’s basically the best single-item option since air conditioning, and it’s turbo-dumb to bury it in ultra-trim levels.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As someone in the South with a vehicle with cooled/heated seats and one with cloth seats: cloth seats are the solution, not cooled seats. I find myself seeking out cheap cloth interior cars because #1 there's the fact that they don't need heating or cooling and age better than leather. #2, cars with cloth seats tend to not come with a lot of poorly-aging, often broken add ons like lovely infotainment. They have single or double din radios! Imagine that! Granted the old cars are loud as poo poo compared to new stuff, so there is that.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

As someone in the South with a vehicle with cooled/heated seats and one with cloth seats: cloth seats are the solution, not cooled seats. I find myself seeking out cheap cloth interior cars because #1 there's the fact that they don't need heating or cooling and age better than leather. #2, cars with cloth seats tend to not come with a lot of poorly-aging, often broken add ons like lovely infotainment. They have single or double din radios! Imagine that! Granted the old cars are loud as poo poo compared to new stuff, so there is that.

This is one thing that will always have competing opinions. I don't live in an exclusively hot climate but I prefer how comfortable leather is, and I've never owned a cooled seat car but I bet it owns, it's been great in rentals. I also think high quality leather ages well, although it does seem cloth will not change appearance if cared for and cleaned.

I wish it would trickle down to standard but I think it does actually have some additional manufacturing cost (refrigerant lines, ducting, etc.) unlike loving $3 backup cameras which required government intervention to trickle down.

Also from what I remember my cloth seat car did indeed get uncomfortably cold and hot based on the outdoor temp? Leather's a bit more extreme though.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 31, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

As a Northerner, my favorite seat configuration is cloth with heat.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Does anyone offer cooled cloth seats?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Does anyone offer cooled cloth seats?

My guess is that it would be very difficult to do since it requires small perforations and airflow through the seat cover.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My guess is that it would be very difficult to do since it requires small perforations and airflow through the seat cover.

are......

are you aware of what cloth is?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm fairly certain seat coolers are done with TEC devices and squirrel cage fans, not refrigerant lines from the AC system.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

are......

are you aware of what cloth is?

yeah, i'm saying that all cooled leather seats have little holes drilled in them, and i don't think it would quite work as well with cloth

BloodBag posted:

I'm fairly certain seat coolers are done with TEC devices and squirrel cage fans, not refrigerant lines from the AC system.

yep

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah, i'm saying that all cooled leather seats have little holes drilled in them, and i don't think it would quite work as well with cloth

yep

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

Whoa did not know they used Peltier coolers, neato thanks man. If there is no refrigerant where is the heat dissipated from the other side of the TEC?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The passenger's seat

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a Northerner, my favorite seat configuration is cloth with heat.

The heated cloth/alcantara seats in my ZHP were literally my favorite seats in any car ever. I would take them over cooled seats any day ever.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Something Offal posted:

unlike loving $3 backup cameras which required government intervention to trickle down.

What's the story here?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Whoa did not know they used Peltier coolers, neato thanks man. If there is no refrigerant where is the heat dissipated from the other side of the TEC?

The heat gets re-routed to the ignition switch which sometimes overheats and results in a common condition known as "The Ol' Spicy Keychain"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Something Offal posted:

There's a little duct that farts it out onto the rear passenger footwells on my F150.

E: I believe it's also a reversible system, so the cooler acts as a heater when it's in seat heater mode. Now that poo poo is a legit cheek roaster. Best heated seats I've ever had.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 31, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Most cooled seats I’ve sat in just use a fan to blow air through tiny holes in the seat cover. I remember there were a few cars with Peltier type coolers but I haven’t seen one of those in a while. They usually call the seats with fans only “ventilated seats”.

edit - I guess they still use Peltier coolers.

BloodBag posted:

There's a little duct that farts it out onto the rear passenger footwells on my F150.

E: I believe it's also a reversible system, so the cooler acts as a heater when it's in seat heater mode. Now that poo poo is a legit cheek roaster. Best heated seats I've ever had.
I remember when Peltier coolers were a big thing for extreme overclocking, you had to get the power connections correct because reversing the polarity would cause the cooler to become a heater.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 31, 2019

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Most or all of the Ford products use peltier coolers.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

The only way I'd own a Gulia qv is if I was wealthy and just really loved the car. It'd be a short term low mileage lease as well. No way it would be a primary or probably secondary car. Just something fun to drive for a couple years and then give it back to them. Wonder if they cover the lease payment for the months it'll be in the shop.

The QV has heinously bad lease prices. You can probably lease a 911 for cheaper

This is their current advertised special

quote:

Lease the 2019 Giulia Quadrifoglio RWD for 5,000 miles per year at $899/month for 36 months
. $6,263 Due at Signing. No Security Deposit Required.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What's the story here?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/05/02/backup-cameras/572079002/

For many years after plummeting tech costs brought the price of a camera and wiring to a few bucks, backup cams were restricted to higher trims or $2,500 'technology' packages. We're seeing the same thing today with adaptive cruise, although some makes have had the foresight to make it standard. Notably none of the luxury makes have ACC standard on their cheaper cars, which may be my biggest gripe about the auto industry.

I'll continue saying it any time I mention ACC, if you've never driven a car with good ACC, once you do it becomes instantly clear that it's the future of driving and it will be essential to have an ACC option on every new car within 10 years or less.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 31, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rear seat airbags are a $450 option on the Audi S3 lol

I like German cars, but German manufacturers can get hosed

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Rear seat airbags are a $450 option on the Audi S3 lol

I like German cars, but German manufacturers can get hosed

Like the curtain airbags?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Probably the rear seat mounted airbags. Those are not very common now as they don't help in any of the synthetic crash tests at all.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m in Texas, and I’ll never willingly buy another car without actively cooled seats again. Not ventilated. Cooled. The cooled seats in my Fords are a game changer for the booty and back in the summer. Remote start 5 minutes before you plan on leaving and the seats cooled down

I’m not sure who else has cooled seats besides Ford. I know many have ventilated. I love catching people unaware in my car with them, first time my MIL was in the car with the cooled seats on she thought she pissed herself. I guess they’re not for everyone.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Russian Bear posted:

Like the curtain airbags?
On my S4 the rear seat airbags were built into the side of the seat. But yeah, they were a $500 option.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I really wish heated seats had a setting to heat the back but not the butt.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Something Offal posted:

Notably none of the luxury makes have ACC standard on their cheaper cars, which may be my biggest gripe about the auto industry.
Genesis actually has ACC standard, along with a truckload of other features.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Some cars do. My 5 series lets you change where it heats as well as the amount between the two.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

FuturePastNow posted:

My 2007 Cadillac has this option.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Why have I read nearly nothing about the Kia Niro? It seems quietly competent, I went out and actually drove one to compare it to the RAV4 Hybrid. It managed to be much more comfortable for the situation of two rear facing baby seats in the back, two 6' tall adults in the front than the much larger RAV4. Also, the RAV4 had my head almost touching the headliner, and the passenger seat was not adjustable height. I was really disappointed that I would be so cramped in something the size of a RAV4.

Cargo space was obviously smaller, and it's slower and not AWD, but the Kia legitimately has more passenger room for our usage case. I'd really appreciate any recommendations for what else to look at under $30k for comfortably fitting rear facing baby seats behind tall people. We're willing to pay more money for better fuel economy within reason. The only other candidate left on our list is the Honda Insight or Clarity Plug-in Hybrid, pending the baby seat fit test.

Edit: Hyundai Ioniq seems identical, so unless the Insight or Clarity Plug-in blow me away, I'm probably just going to buy whatever the cheapest Hyundai Ioniq or Kia Niro I can find. We tried out Priuses as well, the situation isn't any better than our current Focus for tall adults in front of baby seats.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 2, 2019

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This is pretty wild

https://www.businessinsider.com/peak-car-38000-layoffs-job-losses-sales-at-auto-makers-2019-5

quote:

There is a negative narrative developing in the auto sector as inventories climb amid softening demand. Inventory for light trucks and SUVs has been climbing to uncomfortably high levels

"In our view, the peak in auto sales is clear," Bank of America's Michelle Meyer and Anna Zhou told clients recently. "A core view of John Murphy, our auto equity analyst, is that the auto cycle has peaked. And he expects further slowdown," with US sales slumping to 16.3 million. "He sees new auto sales heading lower largely due to the 'tsunami' of used vehicles supply which depresses the prices of used vehicles (making them more attractive than new)."

Get ready for some deals

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 2, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pryor on Fire posted:

Cash for Clunkers II

:v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Electric Boogaloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Whoa it can't be that fewer and fewer people can afford new cars when wages aren't keeping up with inflation and haven't had a meaningful increase in 30 years.

Can't be that.

Fuckin' millennials and their avocado toast!