Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It’s frustrating that many of you guys say nothing is as good as HxH because that’s the first anime I have ever watched and now my standards feel too high. I did just finish the manga Monster and WOW was that a good story. Also I started on Legends of Galactic Heroes anime and it is really, really good as well.

Like Tuxedo Catfish said, there's totally other stuff as good/better than HxH; there'd just not any shounen battle manga/anime better than HxH (in my opinion, though I think it's also basically objectively true).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, there's tons of stuff I like more than HxH but in terms of plotty, action-y stuff it's one of the better ones. Even stuff I think is as good as it that fits in that mold is fairly different, what with Turn-A being a mecha series with a fairly slow pace even when it 'gets going.' I do think people tend to associate 'anime' with longform action stuff, though, which is why HxH sometimes gets that label as 'the best.'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is Gurren Lagann still the best fighting robot/mecha anime?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Code Geass is better than Gurren Lagann. As are the EVA rebuild movies and Transformers the Movie. But it's a solid 4th place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Code Geass is better than Gurren Lagann. As are the EVA rebuild movies and Transformers the Movie. But it's a solid 4th place.

I haven't seen the rebuild movies but at they full of the robot fights I remember EVA having but it didn't actually have?

Also what is Code Geass?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It has them with significantly more frequency than the original series and gets to the actual emotional beats much more quickly and with more narrative finesse. Though it still isn't a feel good show.

Code Geass is a show about mecha insurgency against the British Empire by very pretty people.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gurren lagann has been surpassed in quality since 2007, though i dunno of many other good mecha shows that are as, i dunno, maybe the word would be "cartoony." so i guess it depends on what you're looking for out of a mecha show.

code geass is definitely worth a watch, especially if you somehow haven't heard of it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ninjewtsu posted:

gurren lagann has been surpassed in quality since 2007, though i dunno of many other good mecha shows that are as, i dunno, maybe the word would be "cartoony." so i guess it depends on what you're looking for out of a mecha show.

code geass is definitely worth a watch, especially if you somehow haven't heard of it

Cartoony is a good word. Over the top ridiculous robot fights are specifically what I'm looking for

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Gurren Lagann's hard to rate because no matter how many misgivings I have about the writing, the animation and technical artistry on display (at its high points, anyways) are enough to carry the show, even if I can't just give it a blanket recommendation.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Cartoony is a good word. Over the top ridiculous robot fights are specifically what I'm looking for

i can't think of too many mecha shows post-2007 that fit that description, most mecha shows tend to try to be at least somewhat realistic. i kinda bounced off it, but you might wanna check out star driver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NTMFraP2Y

the real recommendation here though is to treat yourself and give Redline a watch, even though it isn't exactly mecha

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 1, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

eureka seven is a thing i've tried to watch on multiple occasions and while i've always liked it my ADHD stops be after a couple episodes. hoverboard robots might be your deal. the show certainly has excellent taste in OP songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da3JfD4CDnY

a note on code geass, though i'd certainly call it "over the top" that's really more in terms of the (very effective) melodrama in its plot and not so much the robot action, which is sick and rad but not really cartoony the same way gurren lagann is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
king gainer's sense for fight scenes isn't quite as over-the-top as gurren lagann's but it's still got some really cool ones. just watch the blu-ray version because the original dvd rips are really hard to parse

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

Is Gurren Lagann still the best fighting robot/mecha anime?

There aren't that many mecha anime that combine great animation, humor, shonen energy and crazy cosmic battles in the exact same way as Gurren Lagann, but Getter Robo was a humongous influence on GL, especially the back half, and all of it's ovas are really well animated and a lot of fun. The one with the best writing is New Getter Robo, the best animated is Neo Getter Robo vs Shin Geyyer Robo and the one that gets the craziest is Getter Robo Armageddon. The manga for it is probably the best from a storytelling perspective but it was made sporadically over 30 years so the art style changes a lot but I also highly recommend it.

It has pacing issues because it's a 48 episode kids show, but King of Braves GaoGaiGar has a similar energy to GL, although it has even less emotional depth to it. If you want a show about people shouting about defying the odds while glowing green and punching a planet in half then this will fill that void. The first third kind of drags but everything after that is really good. It's also slightly - only slightly- more rooted in reality so you get stuff like a memorable episode where they fight the Large Hadron Collider turned giant robot monster. It has a sequel OVA called GaoGaiGar FINAL that doesn't reach the highest heights of the series but gets pretty close and is a good send-off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

i can't think of too many mecha shows post-2007 that fit that description, most mecha shows tend to try to be at least somewhat realistic. i kinda bounced off it, but you might wanna check out star driver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NTMFraP2Y

the real recommendation here though is to treat yourself and give Redline a watch, even though it isn't exactly mecha

If you're gonna watch Redline, make absolutely certain you do it with a good pair of headphones or a proper sound system and in blu-ray/1080p quality. Anything less is doing yourself a disservice.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Len posted:

If you by chance haven't seen Gunbuster and Diebuster (each are 6 episode OVAs, Gunbuster being made by most of the folks who later made Evangelion, and Diebuster by most of the folks who later made Gurren Lagann and previously made FLCL), then make sure to rectify that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, gun/die buster are both inspirations for Gurren Lagann and also had a bunch of the same animation staff work on them as GL.

Gaogaigar is really hard to recommend to people due to the formulaic first like 16 episodes that also happen to introduce a bunch of stuff that gets used and characters that return for the second half of the show, but if you can stick it out, the show as a whole is outstanding and perfectly encapsulates the "Saturday morning action cartoon" tone, playing fairly tropey character types completely straight. It also has excellent character and toyetic robot designs and fantastic stock animations. FINAL takes it to an unrated level with like, a bondage-based villainess and near-nudity, but completely blows up the budget to OVA levels which really, really help the climactic parts culminating in a real good finale.

Also I'm feel like Gaogaigar was the inspiration for the "japanese seizure robots" bit in the Simpsons alongside pokemon because JESUS CHRIST there are some serious flashing color sequences going on in that show constantly, during most transformations and every single time the Zondar boss appears

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got around to watching RahXevon and good lord you guys were not kidding about the Eva knockoff thing because gently caress they do not try to hide it sometimes. I'm quite enjoying the show so far but, come on guys; maybe try to be a little more subtle than an obscenely-long 45-degree train/elevator ride, an eerie quiet girl with mysterious abilities and an unnatural hair colour, and a house the protagonist share with an acerbic redheaded teenage female co-worker and the drunken older woman who supervises the protagonist at work. All in one episode.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It’s frustrating that many of you guys say nothing is as good as HxH because that’s the first anime I have ever watched and now my standards feel too high. I did just finish the manga Monster and WOW was that a good story. Also I started on Legends of Galactic Heroes anime and it is really, really good as well.

I found HxH to be pretty boring after a while; the pace slows considerably. That might be because I pretty much never care about the side characters in any anime and they inevitably get more of the spotlight on every show. The amount of narration also gets out of control.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

Not promising you'll like all of these more/as much as Gurren Lagann, but they all fit this description and are good, IMO:

Shin Jeeg:

G Gundam
GaoGaiGar
Shin Getter Robo
Shin Mazinger Z (It has a really weird first episode fyi, it's trying to do 'starting at the final battle and then flashing back' but it's executed in a really muddled way, but the rest of it is fine)
Tekkaman Blade (The 'robots' are technically more Iron Man-esque since they're guys in powered suits, but it hits a lot of mecha tropes and the protagonist still fires insanely gigantic lasers)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there a Devilman x Mazinger crossover that was peak cartoony madness?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe you're thinking of Devilman Vs 009? There's def mazinger/devilman, but it's old-rear end Toei mazinger and devilman.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I love me some Code Geass but the mecha fights, while pretty nice, aren't really the focus of the show in the way that they are in Gundams or Gurren Lagann or GGG or any dedicated mecha show.

You should still abso-loving-lutely watch it and will definitely enjoy the battle parts but that's not what makes it good imo. Also it's definitely got some flaws.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you're gonna watch GGG remember to wear earplugs/use your volume control.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wark Say posted:

If you're gonna watch GGG remember to wear earplugs/use your volume control.
yeah, use your volume control to crank that masaaki endoh all the way up and prepare yourself for the gagas!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fW2IK3lnt4&hd=1

I really want video of the choir just gaga-ing

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
What's a good hard sci-fi anime released in the last, let's say, 5 years? Something with mostly adult characters (no highschoolers, no coming of age stories), 'serious' tone and relatively grounded in reality (or Nihei-style posthumanism).

Something like GitS, Psycho Pass, Kinghts of Sidonia, LoGH - is there anything new and good like these?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

grate deceiver posted:

What's a good hard sci-fi anime released in the last, let's say, 5 years? Something with mostly adult characters (no highschoolers, no coming of age stories), 'serious' tone and relatively grounded in reality (or Nihei-style posthumanism).

Something like GitS, Psycho Pass, Kinghts of Sidonia, LoGH - is there anything new and good like these?

Probably the closet thing is Steins;Gate 0. Hard Sci-Fi isn't really a thing in anime anymore. (sci-fi in general is pretty rare these days)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

The Yamato remakes are probably your best bet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sounds like I have some good places to start. I think I tried GaoGaiGar once because I remember that theme song. I didn't stick it out though.

Thanks everyone!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Naoki Urasawa's Pluto is supposed to be getting an anime soon, iirc? So keep an ear to the ground for that. Or just read the manga if you haven't. Or reread it if you have, actually, iunno if an anime would be able to fully capture what's cool about Pluto.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Star Blazers 2199 (the localized title) is a wonderful remake of the first Space Battleship Yamato series, and a real lovely homage to 1980's sci-fi anime. It's one of my favourite shows in recent memory.

Such a shame about 2202 though :sigh:.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Star Blazers 2199 (the localized title) is a wonderful remake of the first Space Battleship Yamato series, and a real lovely homage to 1980's sci-fi anime. It's one of my favourite shows in recent memory.

Such a shame about 2202 though :sigh:.

Is 2202 not any good? I havent bothered to watch it yet since it isnt done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meme Emulator posted:

Is 2202 not any good? I havent bothered to watch it yet since it isnt done.

2202 is not by the same director or writer and gets really, really, stupid. To give you an idea of what you're dealing with; (Mild late 2199 spoilers) The promise to Starsha to "be better than they were" about using weapons like the Wave Motion Gun turns into "using the Wave Motion Gun is bad, we should never use the Wave Motion Gun, oh I am a terrible person because I used the Wave Motion Gun again :qq:".

Also a lot of the later battles just turn into "throw rows of identical ships at eachother and watch them explode", with none of the tense pseudo-naval tactical battles the first season had.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Srice posted:

Ok, will check those out. Now that I think about it, I never finished Pluto manga

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I don't read a lot of manga but I got a kindle and it seems like a good way to read more. Stuff I remember reading that I liked

Urasawa stuff
Qualia the Purple
My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
a bit of Junji Ito stuff

Outside the long Urasawa reads I liked that the other stuff was short. Not really interested in anything too long, anything shounen or slice of life. I liked Qualia's sci-fi and ambitious writing, and I liked the "realness" and autobiographical nature of Loneliness. Similar stuff would be cool, but in general the genre isn't super important so long as it's well written and won't take forever to get through

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Paperhouse posted:

Outside the long Urasawa reads I liked that the other stuff was short. Not really interested in anything too long, anything shounen or slice of life. I liked Qualia's sci-fi and ambitious writing, and I liked the "realness" and autobiographical nature of Loneliness. Similar stuff would be cool, but in general the genre isn't super important so long as it's well written and won't take forever to get through

Maybe try out Kakukaku Shikajika? There may be a slice-of-life tag on it, but it's really more of an autobiographical drama. Only 34 chapters and it's one of my favorites. Seven Seas is putting out an official English release, but there's only 1 volume out so far so check out the fan translation on mangadex in the meantime (although I have no idea if that works on a kindle or not, sorry).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
This is perhaps an odd recommendation, but hey, whatever. Was at the manga exhibition today at the British Museum, and it was pretty cool! Worth a visit if you happen to be in London - it's on to August 26th. Entry's £19.50 for adults, but I believe there's a 25% off code (UNIQLO25 or something) floating around somewhere you can use. You're given slots for entry times when you book, so if you plan to go you should book in advance rather than pay on the day.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Maybe try out Kakukaku Shikajika? There may be a slice-of-life tag on it, but it's really more of an autobiographical drama. Only 34 chapters and it's one of my favorites. Seven Seas is putting out an official English release, but there's only 1 volume out so far so check out the fan translation on mangadex in the meantime (although I have no idea if that works on a kindle or not, sorry).

I'll second this. It's very good and very real.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Absolutely read kakukaku shikajika. It's very powerful.

Maybe if you're into shoujo, give Paradise Kiss a try, it's completed and has a really outstanding story and characters, does a bunch of things you might not expect.

Paperhouse posted:

but in general the genre isn't super important so long as it's well written and won't take forever to get through
got a couple fantasy series for you that are less about battling monsters (usually) and more about exploring the possibilities of a fantasy/D&D world:

Dungeon meshi ( English title: Delicious in Dungeon) about a group of poor adventurers delving into a deep, elaborate dungeon with fully fleshed out ecosystems and very detailed methods to cook entirely fantastical dishes like basilisk omelettes or how to eat Living Armor. Easily in my top 3 things I've read, still going as of now.

Heterogenous Linguistics(as of yet unlicensed), a story about an anthropologist visiting tribes of werewolves, lizardmen, etc and learning their language, culture, and seeking to prove they are not just mindless beasts. Absolutely fascinating and brilliant takes on fantasy races, my favorite(so far, there's only 14 or so chapters right now) are slimes, and you'll see why.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 17, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I don't read a lot of manga but I got a kindle and it seems like a good way to read more. Stuff I remember reading that I liked

Urasawa stuff
Qualia the Purple
My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
a bit of Junji Ito stuff

Keimusho no Naka : autobiography of a mangaka that went to jail

Mustard Chocolate : another autobiographical sort of thing like already recced kakukaku shikajika

anything jiro taniguchi, all down to earth realistic seinen stuff, most of the translated series arent very long

inio asano also does realness well

in the genre of realism (with a lil bit of fantasy) also try out series like Wanitokagegisu, Uoshida Akimi series like Sakura no Sono and Kawa yori mo Nagaku Yuruyaka ni , Futsutsukamono no Ani desu ga and the author Yoshihiro Tatsumi

for sci fi check out otomo (the akira guys) largely forgotten Sarah - The Legend of Mother Sarah

if you want to try some more horror check out authors like Takahashi, Yousuke and Morohoshi, Daijirou. there's a lot more out there, but idk how squeamish you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A one-shot I really liked that you might enjoy is Hotel. It's about an AI in charge of the last monument to humanity on earth after we triggered a runaway greenhouse effect and turned the planet into Venus Jr.

The chapters after the first one you can skip, they're extraneous at best and the first chapter is a self-contained story, with...some weird cameos/character names, but overall it's a great little thing.

edit: oh hey, I didn't realize the author is the person who makes Dr. Stone, that's really cool! Really glad he became super successful!

another series I would recommend, it's overall one of my favorite stories about death, grief, and love(it has sexual content, fair warning). Just...it could do without pretty much all of the war storyline stuff, but other than that it's really powerful. It's called Ai-Ren, and is about a boy who has a terminal illness and does not have long to live, who requests what is essentially an artificial human hospice caretaker, because he doesn't want to be alone when he dies. Literally making me tear up just remembering it, it just hosed me right up when I finished it. I'm sad it never got localized, I would have bought the whole thing immediately.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 17, 2019