Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I'm more excited about trusts than anything else in the expansion.

It would be great they updated older content with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trusts are only dungeons, right? So no matter what you're going to have to party up for Titania, Innocence and whatever FF cameo megaboss ends the expansion, right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ither posted:

I'm more excited about trusts than anything else in the expansion.

It would be great they updated older content with it.
My guess is they will over time, especially once the userbase declines. Trusts will be their way of keeping the game running and solo-viable ala FF11 in another decade.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Would pay money to have Estinien trust dunk on Alphinaud in dungeons

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alright, I'm in PBC now. If anyone's willing to throw a craft ilvl 380 gun at me I'd love you for a long time.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Vitamean posted:

easy enough

is this loss?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Trusts are only dungeons, right? So no matter what you're going to have to party up for Titania, Innocence and whatever FF cameo megaboss ends the expansion, right?

That raises the point of whether or not we have any megabosses left to be the final boss.

It might be something totally new, like Innocence.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Blockhouse posted:

That raises the point of whether or not we have any megabosses left to be the final boss.

We've not beat up any FF7 references yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Oh, I think there's plenty. We haven't seen a lot of big FF bosses. They could absolutely do something new but they seem to enjoy having the capstone be some kind of reference.

I mean the easy answer would be "Sin" considering the rest of the expansion but seems a bit hard to fit in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cabbit posted:

We've not beat up any FF7 references yet.
Sephirot

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But if they're going to put in an FF7 boss or enemy I really hope it's one of those house monsters. They're in FF9 too, so it's a dual ref.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sephirot was a FF6 reference. :colbert:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Guard Scorpion in Ala Mhigo.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Thordan and his knights were a big FF7 Knights of the Round summon reference, down to casting Ultimate End and shattering the screen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blockhouse posted:

Since we're already doing a Nier raid, let's just go full crossover into SaGa and kill God.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I mean, considering the nature of the expansion, we probably will kill something at least god adjacent. Do we have any big light themed superbosses to kill yet?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eureka 2 will be a SaGa game

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zoig posted:

I mean, considering the nature of the expansion, we probably will kill something at least god adjacent. Do we have any big light themed superbosses to kill yet?

I'm tempted to say the Emperor of Light, but I feel like they'd save the Emperor for later. Then again, I just joked about SaGa and FF2 is practically proto-SaGa so maybe the Emperor of Light is fitting.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2019

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

homeless snail posted:

If they put Sparking in this game I'll buy like 60 copies

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Allarion posted:

I'm tempted to say the Emperor of Light, but I feel like they'd save the Emperor for later. Then again, I just joked about SaGa and FF2 is practically proto-SaGa so maybe the Emperor of Light is fitting.

There is an emperor on the poster though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its confirmed that it happens

That’ll take the sting out of (presumably) dragon age 4 sucking

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

homeless snail posted:

Soken's take on some Kenji Ito songs is what would get me into Eureka forever and never leave.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Canine Conspiracy posted:

Thordan and his knights were a big FF7 Knights of the Round summon reference, down to casting Ultimate End and shattering the screen.

Somehow it skipped my mind entirely that KotR has only been in 7, 14, and 15.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what is a SaGa?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

what is a SaGa?

Nintando's competitor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kerrzhe posted:

what is a SaGa?

Another series of RPGs made by SE. They're notable for being very experimental.

Generally they're more Open World, and rather then leveling with exp or anything like that you tend to have a more free form leveling system.

Also they're infamously obtuse revealing basically nothing about how they work.

The series is the brainchild of Akitoshi Kawazu, who worked on Final Fantasy 2 which can basically be considered the ancestor of the series

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Sephirot was a FF6 reference. :colbert:
Sort of

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zoig posted:

Eden from FF8?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eden from FF8?

I thought that was the theme of the 8-man this time around?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The three Warring Triad bosses of VI were named on their concept art. Fiend/Doom's name was "Sefilos" (Sephiroth/Sephirot/Sefirot; the Kabbalah concept). Nomura basically liked the idea of the name enough to reuse it for FFVII, and FFXIV has a nod to that, but it's an out and out VI reference. (The trend follows for the other two - Goddess's concept art was titled "Sophia", Demon/Poltergeist's name is "Zurvan.")

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

'Sort of'? Sephirot and the other two are the Warring Triad, complete with being smack dab on the Floating Continent.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Besides, Nael van Darnus was the more explicit VII Sephiroth reference (Project Meteor, the VIIth Legion, this scene), though most of that was in 1.0.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

It's explicitly the Warring Triad.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I went looking at Final Fantasy superbosses for ideas, and while I gave up quickly I love that they just kinda gave up for ff14 on the wiki and just listed everything that was under extreme, savage, or ultimate.

Wait, does ol whitecoat get his name from a tactics superboss? that's neat.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
got all my shire weapon mats, rebuilt my aiming gear (it was literally the one set I threw out since I assumed dancer would not be ranged dps :rolleyes:), nothing to do now but farm up 400 gear and doggos and think about hotbar setups with all the pruning and new actions

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Zoig posted:

I went looking at Final Fantasy superbosses for ideas, and while I gave up quickly I love that they just kinda gave up for ff14 on the wiki and just listed everything that was under extreme, savage, or ultimate.

Wait, does ol whitecoat get his name from a tactics superboss? that's neat.

All of the Ascians except Elidibus (who still corresponds to a zodiac sign, specifically, Ophiuchus, Zodiark's sign) are named after the Scions of Light mentioned in the FFXII esper descriptions.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

When is SE gonna let me fight Culex?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm glad Mana Shift is going away because every time I hit that button and don't get a commend at the end of the trial is a goddamn travesty. To say nothing of Verraising until I'm so berift of MP I can't even do my rotation.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Bruh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sephirot is clearly a reference to the best final fantasy, 7, because Sephirot is the villain who is also my husband and just misunderstood.