Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What the hell did India do to Trump aside from not being white

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1glitch0 posted:

Prester, I have a question for you. I agree with what you're saying, but I'm curious about the cause. I've thought people in the united states were okay with atrocities overseas because most people here just see places overseas as "Here be dragons". But now that it is happening within the country's border and there's not much outcry do you think it's because people in the country are becoming increasingly more violent or that their view of the world is becoming more restricted. Like is that they are more hateful or apathetic or is it because 1,000 miles away or 500 miles away or 100 miles away has becomes "Here be dragons"? Or both?

I think it's a case of people not really being inclined to take action against something unless it affects them personally at that very moment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kurzon posted:

Is this the right place to mention this? Steve Bannon planned to open a school for the alt-right in an old Italian monastery, but I recently learned via Reddit that the Italians have revoked his lease because he forged a document and didn't pay the fees. I looked up the monastery in question (Certosa di Trisulti) and it's in the middle of loving nowhere, in the mountains. What was Steve Bannon thinking? Did he watch Batman Begins and think "Hey, I should get me a remote mountain lair where I can train alt-right ninjas!"

From what I recall, that's not too far from the truth. He saw what he thought was an opening to push the catholic church to the right, by doing something sort of like what the Federalist Society is doing to our courts. Guess it didn't pan out, what a shame.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 1, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't remember seeing this here yesterday so sorry if I just missed it:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1134617160079331329

India is around #9 in terms of US imports.

America’s plan to encircle China with loyal allies moving along swimmingly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Random Stranger posted:

You can make disingenuous, dishonest arguments to a court and at the supreme court you're not introducing new facts to the case, you're arguing that the law was not settled correctly at the lower court. So, no consequences there.

Lying to the lower courts before you get to the supreme court, however, would definitely be perjury. I'm sure the justice department will get right on with prosecuting that.

You absolutely can get sanctioned for making misleading argument or misrepresentations to an appellate or Supreme Court. If you commit evidentiary shenanigans at the trial level and then continue to be dishonest on appeal, each court can sanction you. Lying to the court falls under the court’s inherent power to sanction. The Supreme Court could issue sanctions themselves, but they see so few cases and usually only from top tier attorneys that they’d probably “strongly suggest” a trial court sanction the attorney just because it’s not something they normally have to deal with

They could also get barred from federal courts or face disciplinary action from whatever state gave them a bar card

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 1, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

These guys almost desperately want to see another war they can champion on it seems

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's impressive(not really) Trump is tanking an economy he could have left on cruise control.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Gaunab posted:

It's impressive(not really) Trump is tanking an economy he could have left on cruise control.

If he had just invested the money his father gave him he could have been actual rich by now. His desire to be the one who saves everything with precise and calculated deal-making entirely overwhelms any serious long-term strategy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Catalyst-proof posted:

If he had just invested the money his father gave him he could have been actual rich by now. His desire to be the one who saves everything with precise and calculated deal-making entirely overwhelms any serious long-term strategy.

no one knows business better than donald j trump

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ice Phisherman posted:

Go to the buffet after church. You're in your best. The haircut you have is like your wife's, but yours is a toupee. Hers is held aloft by so much hairspray that it's a fire hazard. Your daughter is still in her daughter/daddy purity ball dress. The purity rings are low quality metal, but you know a machinist and you'll have your high quality material. You know the machinist personally. The one who degloved his hand that one time? Well he has another hand and he gave your daughter something that won't ever be fitted to her finger and it slides around, occasionally falling off. Good steel though. American steel. Her purity ball dress is too tight. Your pride and joy son is doomed to become the president of the United States one day. And because it'll be 2067 by that point, it'll be from the back of a technical as he shouts to a starving crowd through a microphone because most of the US is underwater, seceding or irradiated.

You're feeling a little queasy and wonder if that tuna casserole tasted off or not. Your stomach roils. Now you're a man of the world. You've been outside of the county once to the capital to show off your prized hog and got fourth place. And you know never to trust a fart, but just this once you do. And thump, right in the tidy whities.

That's the face you make when you poo poo your pants at the family photo at the country buffet. And because you're so practical, you never throw the picture away. It cost you fifteen dollars and you're not wasting that.

This, uh....kinda feels like my childhood somewhat. The hairspray line brings back the memories and smells of Sunday mornings. I'd always wake late and have to throw on my church clothes running out the door. But the alarm that always woke me was grandma emptying a can or two of hairspray into her old lady perm since my room was right across the hall from the bathroom/"parlor room".
After church it was one of two places to go. Either we came home and ate a fancy chicken dinner at home all still dressed in our best, or hit the local Elias Brothers (aka Big Boy) where my sister and I would get scolded if we managed to dirty any of our clothing.
Everyone was pure on this day till about 4 in the afternoon when the olds got tired and went for a nap and the parents would finally let us go out to play.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

A couple of months ago, esteemed climatologist, Jordan Peterson tried to downplay climate change by arguing there's more trees now than there were 100 years ago or something, so we don't need to worry.

Um...is the lack of trees something that the pro-climate change side ever really brought up? I admit, I'm not well versed in the subject, but I've seen people talk about stuff like the ice caps melting, and rising C02 and sea levels, but this tree thing I've never heard even once.

Prolly has to do with back when people were screaming about the bulldozing and clear cutting of forests and rainforests and the whole carbon offsets deal people were buying in to.
It's just morons trying to be smug and do that face value bullshit right leaning assholes enjoy doing. "well if A equals B, and B can be stopped by C, and since we have a shitload of C, then A must not exist. Checkmate liberal"
Or to put a more situational spin to it "Since republicans are good, and child molesters are bad, all child molesters must be liberals" you know, despite all the info of Republicans being loving guilty as sin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It might be cliche at this point but if you want a good counterargument to Jorp saying "we've got more trees now, the planet is safe!" then tell people to watch Our Planet on Netflix. You can plant as many trees as you want but that doesn't stop biodiversity from going in the shitter when the new growth forests cannot sustain a fraction of the biodiversity of old growth and jungle forests.

Also trees don't grow underwater so rising tides and melting polar caps will gently caress us long before we run out of forestry.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crabtree posted:

So now she doesn't even do poo poo? Man, it must be nice to be paid to be a lazy liar.

There's been a number of tweets about the podium in the briefing room literally gathering dust. That room is like the White House's Pripyat. Reactor four is eating cheeseburgers and watching Fox

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gaunab posted:

Everything else aside at least this poo poo has made my father completely drop the insipid "what we need is a businessman as President" talking point.

It is the slightest hint of a silver lining in this hurricane of suffering and incompetence. I'd much rather have to deal with him whining constantly about "liberals" than have Trump.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1134834324707119104

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I know what she's trying to say. But persoanly I'm glad the old days of a week or two of news channels waxing poetic about such an event is gone.

There Bias Two posted:

I think it's a case of people not really being inclined to take action against something unless it affects them personally at that very moment.

I dunno. I think when it happens abroad it's the feeling of not being able to really do anything, so why try. But when it's within your own borders, this is something you can effect personally by just showing up and hoping others do too to show your displeasure.

Like for example kids starving in Africa. I don't like it but all I can reasonably do is toss some money at charities I have to trust are doing something. At home government is holding innocent people against their will to die within travel distance I can reasonably get to in a car, well loving load up, we're going on a road trip.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 1, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t people talk about how the media shouldn’t be overly covering these events anyway in order to deter copycats?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fallom posted:

Don’t people talk about how the media shouldn’t be overly covering these events anyway in order to deter copycats?
I think it was more don't quote their manifesto or show their picture/name (so as not to make the shooter the focus), not just straight up ignore the shooting and its victims.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fallom posted:

They happen every week. Deterring copycats obviously isn't the solution at this point. We need awareness.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

These guys almost desperately want to see another war they can champion on it seems

They love to hairography a war to make heroes and enemies. They legitemetly believe that war makes people great and if we aren't fighting a war we are soft pansies. Boomers somehow made World War 2 about them despite they weren't born and point to that generation to talk about how much we suck.

/rant

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is there any way we can mass Report this piece of excrement? He’s totally doing what the Krassensteins did with buying followers it’s intensely obvious.

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/status/1134611963194028033?s=20

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nonsense posted:

Is there any way we can mass Report this piece of excrement? He’s totally doing what the Krassensteins did with buying followers it’s intensely obvious.

I hate this fuckin twerp so much

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What the gently caress

What is it with these gen z motherfuckers thinking the prequels were Actually Good

They weren't, they're poorly shot and edited racist trash

I think it's like the My Little Pony stuff where it started out as a joke then other people didn't realize they were kidding and welp now its got legs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1134852135164698624

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Archonex posted:

Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong. They're complete trash. But the ideas behind them translated to a lot of good ideas when better writers got a hold of them.

Part of the problem was that Lucas had no editor (and he seems to work a lot better when there's someone there to slap him on the back of the head and say something is dumb) and that he's explicitly stated that he was making the movie for his grand-kids or something similar to that.

It kinda explains why Lucas was coming up with characters with names like Elan Sleazebaggano. IE: The guy who was trying to sell death sticks (Space cigarettes!) to Kenobi in one of the prequel movies. The prequel movies are basically kids movies that adults argue over.

The prequels are a strange and wonderful art object- a middle aged man’s attempt to grapple with his feelings on neoliberalism and rising fascism via a portfolio of children’s media in a franchise beloved by other, mostly younger, adult men. Also these critiques of western society were themselves neoliberal as poo poo- made for billions of dollars of studio money and pushing the boundaries of green screen filmmaking to make big visual spectacles that sold billions upon billions in merch and licensing and broke box office records multiple times.

These weird, confused, schizophrenic movies were the most lucrative media properties of their era. A rich old technocrat’s anger about Bush subsumed in a technicolor space soap opera.

We all agreed that they were terrible at the time they were being made but just kept chucking money at the project and drinking in the spectacle.

The Star Wars prequels are the Cremaster Cycle for Everyone Else.

1glitch0 posted:

Prester, I have a question for you. I agree with what you're saying, but I'm curious about the cause. I've thought people in the united states were okay with atrocities overseas because most people here just see places overseas as "Here be dragons". But now that it is happening within the country's border and there's not much outcry do you think it's because people in the country are becoming increasingly more violent or that their view of the world is becoming more restricted. Like is that they are more hateful or apathetic or is it because 1,000 miles away or 500 miles away or 100 miles away has becomes "Here be dragons"? Or both?

I’m not PJ, but it’s because the dragons are brown people.

Alienation, apathy, and depersonalization can be the result of distance or/and difference. Some atrocities are ok because they happen in places thousands of miles away to people who live in a way you can’t relate to. It’s abstracted on the page of a newspaper or a movie screen. Other atrocities are ok because they happen to people you can’t relate to and maybe mistrust, in neighborhoods that you don’t go into and maybe dislike.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 1, 2019

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

They happen every week. Deterring copycats obviously isn't the solution at this point. We need awareness.

My friend's child goes through active shooter drills at his preschool. "Awareness" is not the issue.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ATP5G1 posted:

My friend's child goes through active shooter drills at his preschool. "Awareness" is not the issue.

I meant to say shame. We need shame.

Rex-Goliath posted:

I think it's like the My Little Pony stuff where it started out as a joke then other people didn't realize they were kidding and welp now its got legs

Having met bronies IRL, I refuse to believe there was any actual joke there beyond the ability to hide behind "irony" when called out on it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This ship is now Antifa?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

In my view the country is being emotionally worn down to the point where most people are too numb to care about any problem not immediately in front of them. Its basically gaslighting on a massive scale.

Speaking from experience- gaslighting works because you become emotionally worn down over time from constantly questioning what is real and what isnt. When you become stressed and uncertain about what is happening around you- when you have spent so much energy trying to hold yourself together under the onslaught- you start to just accept things as they are.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 1, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Nonsense posted:

Technically all of congress and the President speak for us even if they aren’t in our district so he isn’t even right.

I’m all for burning down the 2nd amendment at this point. I think it has been willfully misinterpreted for a long time. There is no reason civilians should be able to purchase sound suppressors or high capacity magazines for handguns. What possible argument can be made for this other than “my gun rights.” I know it’s impossible to stop completely since he would have been able to buy a handgun legally, but maybe make it a bit harder to kill a dozen people?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ATP5G1 posted:

I have 2 kids in elementary school and another one starting preschool soon. My two have come home and talked about active shooter drills the way we used to talk about fire drills: Just something that happens and is kind of annoying but accepted as part of life. Which is horrifying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nonsense posted:

I haven’t heard from this guy in a while.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I"m proud to say this piece of human garbage blocked me.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 1, 2019

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

SocketWrench posted:

This ship is now Antifa?

Hopefully the first of many.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Most folks ignore them, since it’s obvious they just crave attention. He would be thrilled if Twitter banned him

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus for a group of people who love doing the same joke over and over, his is so copy paste I think even people who would be really sensitive to him are just whatever to him now.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

This ship is now Antifa?

Welcome to the #Resistance, USS John McCain

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The best part is that it's named after a different John McCain.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The best part is that it's named after a different John McCain.

Technically it's named after all three of them, they did a little ceremony after the senator died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

try the new taco place posted:

Most folks ignore them, since it’s obvious they just crave attention. He would be thrilled if Twitter banned him

Briefly thrilled, but the high would wear off quickly.

Being on Twitter is a critical part of the grift for these asshats.