Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
"I like it when Dunkin Donuts ads take up 75% of my map screen in Waze" - yospos iPhone users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

oh and you joke about custom ROMs (which i dont do) but after rooting my phone guess who can block ads on my phone at the hosts level? :smug:

i dont even get ads in actual apps like Waze. suck it chump

just a brutal self own. absolutely savage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"I like it when Dunkin Donuts ads take up 75% of my map screen in Waze" - yospos iPhone users

literally never had this happen. not shocked that android does it tho

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

oh and you joke about custom ROMs (which i dont do) but after rooting my phone guess who can block ads on my phone at the hosts level? :smug:

i dont even get ads in actual apps like Waze. suck it chump

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

literally never had this happen. not shocked that android does it tho

it does that in landscape when you stop at a light

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it does that in landscape when you stop at a light

i use carplay and it doesn't show any ads at all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iPhone users don't have to use trash like waze because they have apple maps, the world's most advanced phone maps

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jit bull transpile posted:

iPhone users don't have to use trash like waze because they have apple maps, the world's most advanced phone maps

yeah I switched to apple maps a few months back and it’s been good, with the caveat that I live in a big American city

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I visited Bergen Norway recently and was shocked to discover that apple maps had transit directions whereas Google maps did not

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used Apple maps today driving through San Francisco and was reminded that it has no notion of topography and so will take you on the shortest route even if that route is up and back down an obscenely steep hill.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Lol if you're not using HERE Maps.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my favorite apple maps story is the first and last time it was used in my presence the directions to our destination suggested that we park on an off ramp and jump a concrete barrier to get to our destination

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-department-is-preparing-antitrust-investigation-of-google-11559348795
Justice Department Is Preparing Antitrust Investigation of Google

:yeshaha:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

which also uses waze traffic data, like google maps. they both look and work like a professional gps but with less cartoons

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

people who have an enormous amount of tabs open have broken brains

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Stymie posted:

my favorite apple maps story is the first and last time it was used in my presence the directions to our destination suggested that we park on an off ramp and jump a concrete barrier to get to our destination

i appreciate that you post this exact story in every comment section of an article mentioning Apple maps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hegel Exercises posted:

i appreciate that you post this exact story in every comment section of an article mentioning Apple

only apple maps, really

it’s still crazy to me that apple maps would basically resort to “gently caress it, you’re on your own” when it can’t find a route

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

which also uses waze traffic data, like google maps. they both look and work like a professional gps but with less cartoons

I really doubt apple licenses google's traffic data

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

big fan of Waze, the app that tells you to take 14 detours to save 90 seconds on an hour long route.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they don’t, their traffic conditions suspiciously resemble the tmc feed in my area.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
just set up a pihole instead of breaking your phone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the licensing page still lists waze as some of the 'other sources' from apple maps, though youre right in that it does only specify map data:

https://gspe21-ssl.ls.apple.com/html/attribution-141.html

they might have it there for map data for areas theyve not vetted or wasnt covered by their other sources, likely not traffic data since they refer to sources for that specifically

Midjack posted:

they don't, their traffic conditions suspiciously resemble the tmc feed in my area.

it looks like theyre listing an exhaustive list since the last time i saw the acknowledgements. im wrong about the waze traffic data (this part looks like rumors from the map data licensing) and id guess they pull from the same local sources as waze and google maps for transit authorities so theres overlap there for government issued road closing which seem to appear consistently between them

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

creationist believer posted:

just set up a pihole instead of breaking your phone
do you have one of these set up in your car?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

butt dickus posted:

if you don't want to VPN all your traffic, you can still set a VPN on your phone so that all your DNS queries go through the pihole but the rest acts like normal https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/only-dns-via-vpn/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

butt dickus posted:

But correct answer is here:

Linguica posted:

if you don't want to VPN all your traffic, you can still set a VPN on your phone so that all your DNS queries go through the pihole but the rest acts like normal https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/only-dns-via-vpn/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the correct answer is to not use ad supported services if you don't want to see ads

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

the correct answer is to not use ad supported services if you don't want to see ads

Lowtax’s spinal and server woes would be over if he introduced a “no-infernal machines" account option, hth?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
be gay do crime steal from ad supported services

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

creationist believer posted:

be gay do crime steal from ad supported services

:hai:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

EL BROMANCE posted:

big fan of Waze, the app that tells you to drive by every NIMBY rear end in a top hat between you and your destination

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

not from this distance your honour

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
no fingerprint scanner. you know what that means

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

lovely, under-the-screen radar fingerprint reader, probably

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

infernal machines posted:

not from this distance your honour

im the horrifying face made out of cameras staring at you from the abyss of 3/10 of your screen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

im the horrifying face made out of cameras staring at you from the abyss of 3/10 of your screen

....the screen is on the other side, but I'm misunderstanding what you're saying right?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just had to clear the cache on chrome to restore internet connectivity on my telephone. can ios do that? :smuggo:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

maybe they'll make the camera bump big enough to cover the entire back of the phone and we can get back to some non-poo poo designs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol android auto doesn’t lock the GPS receiver on if the phone screen’s off even if the phone is plugged in and charging

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol android auto doesn’t lock the GPS receiver on if the phone screen’s off even if the phone is plugged in and charging

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it did on my pixel 1