Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly pull to the wall every dungeon unless the healer specifically asks me not to or there's a New Adventurer bonus. It honestly works out pretty well!

does this mean you only use flash and do no dps, just honest tanking

wasn't there some guy who did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

does this mean you only use flash and do no dps, just honest tanking

wasn't there some guy who did that

Haha. Sorry, didn't mean to imply that.

I assume Honest Tanking would be a single pull at a time, trying to draw aggro without drawing more enemies than you have to, and only doing your aggro combo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly pull to the wall every dungeon unless the healer specifically asks me not to or there's a New Adventurer bonus. It honestly works out pretty well!

I start off every dungeon run doing one large pull and using that as a litmus test to see if my group's capable of doing a fast run. I don't try to force it if it's clear our healer's uncomfortable or if our DPS is putting out piss-thin numbers. I think adaptability is an important part of being a good pug tank.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I assume Honest Tanking would be a single pull at a time, trying to draw aggro without drawing more enemies than you have to, and only doing your aggro combo.

Also clemencies any time you drop below 50% HP.

I see a lot of that while healing and it makes me want to scream.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I cast Clemency to establish dominance over the healer. I know it makes you mad and I don't care. Now cast Holy.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Fister Roboto posted:

The Tank most likely doesn't understand how the skill works. I sure didn't and just had it in a general pile of "these are Defensive Cooldowns"

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Look healers are complaining about losing dps so I as a tank must heal myself so their numbers can go up at the expense of mine, I'm a god dilly drat hero! Cast your broil and sit the gently caress down kid.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 2, 2019

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Quote is not edit!!!!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Quote is not edit, I'm so angry about healing!

DID IT TWICE FRICK!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ouhei posted:

I generally never do more than 2 pulls when I tank dungeons since it’s usually with random people and I don’t trust them to do more than that. If I’m with goons I’ll do more if they want.
When I tank or heal a dungeon I always broach the topic of big pulls. Of course sometimes it doesn't work out, but hilariously wiping to a triple pull is easily recovered from and tells me, no, single/double.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Nessus posted:

When I tank or heal a dungeon I always broach the topic of big pulls. Of course sometimes it doesn't work out, but hilariously wiping to a triple pull is easily recovered from and tells me, no, single/double.

tbh most groups I run into are super chill about that sort of thing

wipes are brushed off with "dont worry about it" and anyone that complains is either mocked into silence or they bail early so someone better can hop in

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I had a Paladin that religiously started spamming Clemency whenever they hit 75%

I don't think I had a single Excog proc go off, it would have been impressive if it weren't so utterly infuriating

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm going to miss getting The Arrow as Black Mage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

... Crap.

All complaints about Astrologian changes are 100% justified.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

it's single pulling while spending 5 seconds standing still to mark mobs with the numbered markers before pulling them

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

On the other hand, consider getting saber dance on BLM, imagine the numbers on xenoglossy. Or on samurai.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
do we know what the DNC buffs do other than the crit/dhit one?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Did the Monk and Warrior changes look good or bad? They're the two classes I might finish leveling next and was wondering if I should bother.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ryanbomber posted:

I had a Paladin that religiously started spamming Clemency whenever they hit 75%

I don't think I had a single Excog proc go off, it would have been impressive if it weren't so utterly infuriating

If I ask "What's with all the clemencies?" or make a stupid "Hey! Vercure in groups is banned by treaty, please be careful" joke or something like that people usually take it well enough. Often it's someone sprouty who thinks that they are "helping the healer", and can be convinced that healers are as a rule happy to do the healing and are best helped by inflicting the Dead status on all those mobs.

One guy responded by shouting at me that it's my fault for letting their health drop so they "had" to heal, admittedly, but overall people haven't been angry about unsolicited advice or mild snark as long I'm not being a dick about it.

CYBEReris posted:

it's single pulling while spending 5 seconds standing still to mark mobs with the numbered markers before pulling them

You forgot the ready check and 20+ second pulltimer. I wish ready checks were just disabled in the roulettes, I have never seen someone make one that was useful.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Dr Pepper posted:

I would have liked to see The Arrow on Greased Lightning 4 Monk to be honest

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Countblanc posted:

5% damage buff for one person (maintainable), 5% damage buff for entire group (15s duration 120s cd)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

As per the media tour, they have sabre dance as a CD for dh/crit on them and their partner. Standard step is a more or less permament 5% damage up for the two of them. There's also an aoe heal that can go off the dancer and partner, that stacks.

They have an aoe defense up CD, and technical step can do 5% damage up to the party temporarily.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 2, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't there a defensive cooldown for ranged DPS now?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't there a defensive cooldown for ranged DPS now?

Troubadour, Tactician, and Shield Samba respectively.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've geared up AST so thinking of leveling another DPS job: Dragoon vs Ninja vs Machinist (with an eye towards the changes coming).

My current DPS jobs: I liked Red Mage because I could help the party and it has a straight forward rotation. I thought Summoner was alright. I liked also being able to help the party. They had some button bloat, but you do have some cool abilities and combos. Hated Monk since I felt like I had a crazy number of buttons and fiddle but it didn't build to anything cool. I didn't like the aesthetics either.

Machinist has a cool aesthetic but I'm not sure about it mechanically. Not sure if Dragoon is too simple or if Ninja is gonna be too much like Monk. Any thoughts?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Did the Monk and Warrior changes look good or bad? They're the two classes I might finish leveling next and was wondering if I should bother.
Monk is barely changed, its like maybe even less substantial than the SB changes, but where SB just made monk slightly worse for no good reason these changes seem like they address a lot of small things that piss people off about monk.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

MCH is going to be a lot of hitting buttons as fast as possible in certain time periods, nin looks a little messy right now but actually able to do damage now on top of trick attack, and dragoon is rock solid straightforward, how they play literally has no changes going forward, just one less poo poo button replaced with more motivation to do positionals.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Also the answer is probably no, but is anything being done about the healer dying being pretty much a guaranteed wipe in any 4-man content? Just let me use a phoenix down, SE.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Monk is barely changed, its like maybe even less substantial than the SB changes, but where SB just made monk slightly worse for no good reason these changes seem like they address a lot of small things that piss people off about monk.

They still need to make Tornado Kick not lame. Like it would be a ton more usable if it only dropped one stack of Greased Lightning.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

They still need to make Tornado Kick not lame. Like it would be a ton more usable if it only dropped one stack of Greased Lightning.
I haven't seen, has anyone done the math to see if the TK rotation is still the best one? TK is definitely the worst feeling button in this game though

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Captain Cappy posted:

Also the answer is probably no, but is anything being done about the healer dying being pretty much a guaranteed wipe in any 4-man content? Just let me use a phoenix down, SE.

I have more than once carried a boss fight with either Clemency or Vercure.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Xaitil posted:

Joining in on the elfposting.

is this a dracula

because it looks like a dracula

(it looks cool)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Much like how the ABCs of Paladin is Always Be Clemency, the ABCs of Red Mage is Always Be (ver)Curing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Had this today, healer died 30 seconds into the last boss of Sohm Al because they didn't understand what the meteor symbol meant, and the RDM took over. Thank you for your service

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I haven't seen, has anyone done the math to see if the TK rotation is still the best one? TK is definitely the worst feeling button in this game though

PB is back to a 2 minute CD and Wind Tackle no longer exists to build stacks, so the current Stormblood TK rotation is gone. There's some preliminary math based on the released potency numbers that suggests that it's a DPS gain to use Six Sided Star followed by TK at the end of Riddle of Fire and then use Anatman to rebuild stacks, but this is all highly speculative.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Honestly not sure what you mean there.

Summoner and Red Mage can raise. Red Mage can even heal.
Paladin can heal themselves through a whole lot of content.
So can Warrior.
In this expansion you'll also have Dancer who is capable of heals as well.
Potions exist.

Like losing a healer is *bad* but it's far from an assured wipe on most 4-man content. If they die during a huge pull yeah you're probably in trouble but a Phoenix Down isn't going to change that. Otherwise you can honestly take most bosses with a 3-man party, if slowly and boringly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

I duoed the last 25% of Tsukuyomi Hard with another Paladin before. It got a little hairy near the end, but she simply couldn't out DPS dual Clemency and the both of us sharing Intervention.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Yes, a few select classes can cover for healing (and some non-healers can raise), so why not let the useless DPS cast a phoenix down while the Tank pops their emergency cooldowns while they get them back up.

Also, if the party wipes to a boss teleport us back to the boss arena instead of the middle of the dungeon, thanks in advance SE.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Agraya posted:

Don't mind me. Just elfposting.

New SAM glamour:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wonder how it is balancing FFXIV vs other MMOs where you have to account for addons. Like in WoW you have to expect a lot (most?) healers to be rocking click to cast addons. Since you have to account for people playing 0 addons vs absurd addon suites that seems harder, but sometimes boneheaded decisions in WoW get smoothed over with addons everyone uses.

i think they only balance raid fights around addons and probably boss mods.

Fister Roboto posted:

I have had a few healers thank me for never using clemency. Must be rough out there for you guys :(.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 2, 2019