Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Kitfox88 posted:

Replace a bunch of legendaries that don't show up ever with poo poo like Mawuh and Megazord and the best little hazmat guy ever, hack them into your team, and just steamroll the game. You've suffered for 18 episodes OFS, now it's time to break the game over your knee once E19 hits. :getin:

As much as I would love the return of Top Boy, sadly, without the Nuclear type being used by opponents, I don't think he could do much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Yeah. As much as I would be too, I feel like I remember OFS explaining that Top Boy would get absolutely destroyed in Reborn on account of no other Pokemon being Nuclear type.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The obvious answer is to make him be TopBoySSJ2 and make him omnitype

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

How much coding are we expecting OFS to do for the sake of a "gently caress you" to a lovely fangame?

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.

Commander Keene posted:

How much coding are we expecting OFS to do for the sake of a "gently caress you" to a lovely fangame?

It’s not that much work actually, but I for one, want to see pure, unadulterated garbage first. Do the Tapus quest first and you could probably ignore all the field effects anyway. There’s no need to subject TOP BOY to Reborn.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

It’s not that much work actually, but I for one, want to see pure, unadulterated garbage first. Do the Tapus quest first and you could probably ignore all the field effects anyway. There’s no need to subject TOP BOY to Reborn.

Would not be surprised if the Tapu's were the reward for the field-effect gauntlet. Just so they can't be used to nerf "the challenge."

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Finally caught up. Voted for Titania as worst character, though Amaria was also a pick for that.

I can't believe we're finally free... for now.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Will the 103 floors o' bullshit have healing points along the way or are you going to have to bring 99 each of all varieties of ether and elixir?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Asehujiko posted:

Will the 103 floors o' bullshit have healing points along the way or are you going to have to bring 99 each of all varieties of ether and elixir?

You have to bring them along, but you lose a rank for every one you use.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Asehujiko posted:

That's cute, you think items won't be disabled.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Asehujiko posted:

Honestly, I'm still not convinced that it's actually "floors" like everyone is saying. Yeah, it'd definitely be reborn.txt to have a 103-floor gauntlet, healing or no healing, but I really don't think that's what it is; the way the post is worded makes it sound like it's a bunch of individual, optional fights at the nightclub. Time will tell, though.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

So Reborn devs looked at Hotline Miami and said "what if we did tried to do that, but the ride doesn't stop."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Req.Martyr posted:

So Reborn devs looked at Hotline Miami and said "what if we did tried to do that, but the ride doesn't stop."
Pokemon Reborn: I Want to Get Off Amethyst's Wild Ride

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

There's no uphill in this ride.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say moving the rock was an uphill battle.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'd say moving the rock was an uphill battle.

Sisyphean, even.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I Said No posted:

Sisyphean, even.

Perhaps even an industrial Sisyphean nightmare?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Folt The Bolt posted:

Finally caught up. Voted for Titania as worst character, though Amaria was also a pick for that.

I'm quite amused at how in the beginning everyone couldn't stand the sight of Cain, yet here we are at the poll and he has one vote.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MR. J posted:

I'm quite amused at how in the beginning everyone couldn't stand the sight of Cain, yet here we are at the poll and he has one vote.

Turns out constant sex jokes and singing anime OPs isn't as bad as the underwater murder suicide room.

Who knew?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Cain is basically someone I would know irl and tolerate, whereas the rest of the cast are mostly irredeemable monsters

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MR. J posted:

Cain gets saved from three sides. One, his backstory is something people can actually relate to and explains at least some of his personality issues. Two, he's actually helpful and nice when he isn't being crude, which is far more than we can say for most of this cast. And three...Titania, Amaria, Lin...basically, the entire rest of the cast with extremely few exceptions exists.

Without the third he'd be okay but with it he's one of the best characters in the game, entirely because the bar is so horrendously low.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Cain is a good person who seems overly juvenile and says bad things but comes across weirdly innocent and non-sexual despite all the things he says. He talks like an elementary school student who just discovered he can get a rise out of naughty words, but he's also kind, sympathetic, helpful, and supportive.

Meanwhile Amaria, Titania, Fern, Lin, and Randomus (5 of the top 6) are legitimately bad people and awful characters in wide a variety of ways, and the remaining member of the top 6 is Terra who is actively aggravating to deal with.

Cain isn't particularly "good", but in contrast with the rest of the game he's actually refreshing.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rereading the LP puts Cain firmly at "obnoxious with a needless pervert gimmick but otherwise actually good person." He cares about other characters, he actively wants to help both you & others (Heather, the little girl, comes to mind), he can act as the straight man to the other, much dumber and awful characters. All you need is to compare his scenes with literally anything of Terra . "I'm not that bad am I?" goes a long way, even if his gimmicks can still flood the text box with dozens of lines of unfunny, often out of place dialog.

I think something else that made us hate him early on was that awful loving interview where ame is like "his.............INCIDENT...........WITH BOYS!!" which is the worst possible way to phrase what actually happened and make people assume the worst even without the context of "you did WHAT with their deaths?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Cain is basically someone I would know irl and tolerate, whereas the rest of the cast are mostly irredeemable monsters

Omnicrom posted:

Cain is a good person who seems overly juvenile and says bad things but comes across weirdly innocent and non-sexual despite all the things he says. He talks like an elementary school student who just discovered he can get a rise out of naughty words, but he's also kind, sympathetic, helpful, and supportive.
:yeah:

I agree. With Cain, you can kind of get the sense that he's in the progress of developing into a less obnoxious person. I mean. he won't, because this is Reborn, but in a better work, Cain's issues would be deliberate and the subject to character development over the course of the game. He has the potential to be a decent character, which is more than you can say for just about everyone else.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, the worst thing you can say about Cain is that he would be an extremely obnoxious friend or co-worker. By Reborn standards that makes him Pokemon Jesus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cain reminds me of Gladion kind of.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cernunnos posted:

Would not be surprised if the Tapu's were the reward for the field-effect gauntlet. Just so they can't be used to nerf "the challenge."

Now Amethyst is going to see this and make sure that she does that. :argh:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I, for one, still hate Cain. :colbert: He's not as morally reprehensible as Titania et al, but he's annoying and cringey and that's almost worse in some ways.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

megane posted:

I, for one, still hate Cain. :colbert: He's not as morally reprehensible as Titania et al, but he's annoying and cringey and that's almost worse in some ways.

Eh, his brand of cringe-y is just teenage and trying to differentiate himself, as opposed to, say, Fern who is the scum of the Earth.

Granted, I think part of the reason Cain turned out well was because he had enough screen time and lines that Amethyst couldn't entirely rely on his two gimmicks, which meant having to shove an actual person in there. Entirely by accident.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cain has also never deliberately stonewalled us on a goal. I think the worst he did on that front was "be nowhere to be found when we needed a key from him" and he was trying to work on the same problem.

I mean, aside from the occasional "Hey let's have a quick pokemon battle first", but that's just how pokemon rolls.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Which one is Cain again? This game has way too many characters with arcs that go on far too long then fall off the face of Reborn.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Are we forgetting the cringey bits where Cain would break into song with Pokemon intro lyrics? (That was Cain, wasn't it? I don't trust my brain any more.)

Any reminder of the horror that is "songfic" is irredeemable.

Edit: I do agree with the sentiment that the constant sex jokes read more as juvenile fascination than actual sexual harassment, but it's still enough to be very uncomfortable. It's almost believable for a teenager (if incredibly annoying), and Cain is definitely one of the least unpleasant characters. That's just a very low bar to clear, considering the competition.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 2, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've called him a sex pest before, and while technically accurate, on retrospect it seems almost like it's giving him more credit than he deserves. Given how juvenile he is in general, and how he never seems to want to follow through on his, let's charitably call them jokes, he really might be a middle school kid who learned the naughty words and enjoys how people react to them

His behavior is certainly not acceptable, but I don't know what I'd describe it as, other than purile poo poo stirring

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
cain is a dumbass teen making bad sex jokes cause he's trying to be cool, which is insufferable but also somewhat believable

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

Are we forgetting the cringey bits where Cain would break into song with Pokemon intro lyrics? (That was Cain, wasn't it? I don't trust my brain any more.)

Any reminder of the horror that is "songfic" is irredeemable.

That's annoying in-game because it's Amethyst's usual MO of beating everyone over the head with a joke constantly over hours of gameplay, just to make sure we all got it. IRL half of us would probably at least hum along.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Which one is Cain again? This game has way too many characters with arcs that go on far too long then fall off the face of Reborn.

Purple haired rival guy, you might remember him in battles as the character with a Primarina & Alolan Muk. Also our only real rival since Victoria (kimono girl who kept fighting us after telling us to do something) took over the academy and also helping with Reborn restoration with Adrienn.

Well

He was

until he got stuck in a black hole

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Cain also seemed to undergo somewhat of a revelation after meeting Terra. I don't remember him being quite as sexpun-heavy after that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Cain also seemed to undergo somewhat of a revelation after meeting Terra. I don't remember him being quite as sexpun-heavy after that.

It's still there he was just out of focus because of the tumor of other characters also around before he fell off the map entirely

At the circus alone there was Terra, Samson, Ceil, Aya, Hardy, and pretty sure Shelly. It only snowballs from there before he's just not around for the Reborn restoration, the EDGE trap with Lin, the desert, and the Titania/Amaria Jesus Christ I Hate All Of You Power Hour

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
The biggest issue I have with him is that he acts like a caricature made as a warning about how The Gays are preying on wholesome citizens. And I want to be very clear, I strongly doubt that was the intention: I get the impression that Amethyst wanted to make a a good character for other panseuxal people (or bisexual people or anyone else in that general area) could connect with. Such a character doesn't need to be a chaste saint, either! But they probably shouldn't mark off so many of the common cliches used in slander, primarily him constantly flirting with and making innuendo towards people who are at best uninterested, at worst uncomfortable.

In a better story, his "I'm not as bad as Terra, am I?" scene would have been taken seriously and marked actual change in his character. Instead it's brushed off a couple hours later so that he can hit on his sister's boyfriend even though both of them clearly don't like that. Even his introspection in the void involves awkwardly shoehorned sex jokes, as if innuendo is an immutable, central part of his identity.

All in all, he reminds me of a teen who's been raised by the Internet and by anime of dubious quality: Learning a lot of new things about himself and the world, but doesn't have the maturity or grace to express it properly (in other words: sex jokes and randomly reciting lyrics). I'd be lying if I said I didn't recognize some horribly embarrassing but familiar poo poo from my own history in there. He's not a great character. Not even a good character! But somehow he manages to not be the worst one.

Going back to an earlier topic: ahahaha the boss rush. I'm assuming it operates on either Elite Four rules or Battle Tower rules (but with a full team), but even then, will a single team be able to cover any matchup they get from eighteen heavily overtuned opponents? Maybe at the normal level, if you bring out things like Mega Rayquaza and Ultra Necrozma, but it's going to get ridiculous real fast once the gym leaders themselves bust out their unrestricted teams. Imagine what Saphira (Dragon) and Ciel (Flying) could do without any legendary caps.

Speaking of multiple legendaries, what's up with this part from that announcement?:

andracass posted:

the boss rush will have two levels: one where each leader is limited to a single lengendary, and one where each leader will have as many as they want. this does not make a difference for noel, though. poor noel.

I get that Noel's thing is that he's not special, especially compared to Anna, but surely he can have a Regigigas and Meloetta, and maybe Silvally if that counts? Hell, might as well give him a non-Plate Arceus too, setting lore be damned. I would hope the boss rush is non-canon anyway, because otherwise they're putting a Reshiram-path Amaria and Titania in a nightclub together and there is no way that doesn't end in someone being murdered. The point I'm making is, at least be consistent about it.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

MiracleFlare posted:

I get that Noel's thing is that he's not special, especially compared to Anna, but surely he can have a Regigigas and Meloetta, and maybe Silvally if that counts? Hell, might as well give him a non-Plate Arceus too, setting lore be damned. I would hope the boss rush is non-canon anyway, because otherwise they're putting a Reshiram-path Amaria and Titania in a nightclub together and there is no way that doesn't end in someone being murdered. The point I'm making is, at least be consistent about it.

No, you don't understand, someone getting murdered would be the best outcome. Hell, that's probably the best thing that could come out of the nightclub at all.