Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, if they're part of the plot SRW sometimes lets you save non-pilots who canonically die. I know Z lets you save a bunch of the Zambot 3 civilians who get blown up in the show, and Nia usually gets to live at the end of TTGL when its adapted.

I think Tem Ray's survived in some games? I know he's shown up a few times when they've adapted MSG, but most of those games are older and only in Japanese so some of the finer plot elements get lost in the broad translations I used to play them. One game even has that junk circuit he gives Amuro turn into an actual good item if you fill all your slots with it (normally it just penalizes all your stats :v:)

The absolute funniest Tem Ray Circuit strategy is to put it on Eva-01, then beat up Eva-01 and let it go berserk, and then kill the Berserk Eva-01, because Tem Ray Circuit nerfs stats but also makes it cheaper to repair so the money you get from Berserk Eva-01 outweighs the cost of repairing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

My favorite Shinn in SRW is the one in L where he can't figure out what to make of Kira and doesn't trust Athrun's judgment of him, so he does the actually smart thing and goes to get a different perspective. Specifically, Shinn goes and asks Dearka what kind of person Kira really is. Dearka basically tells him that Kira is a good guy, but kind of awkward and to give him a chance to prove his character. Cut ahead to the fight with Stella in the Destroy where Shinn actually contacts Kira, asks him for help saving Stella, and the two successfully disable the Destroy and save her. You can get Stella as a pilot down the line because this is SRW, but even if you don't I believe it's canon in SRW L that she lives.

Speaking of "Canon that they live even if you don't get them" it's confirmed in Z3 that Anew Returner (who can possibly be kept as an ally in Z2) does officially survive 00 S2 in the Z continuity.

yeah stella lives either way, doing the secret requirements just makes her playable

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I think I mentioned it in this thread already but Tem's main contribution in SRW is to save the Evangelion project by making it financially viable. *sagenod*

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I am still mildly amused when I remember that in SRWBX adapted Gundam AGE they drew a mugshot for Yurin but didn't bother to do the same for Emily.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I am still mildly amused when I remember that in SRWBX adapted Gundam AGE they drew a mugshot for Yurin but didn't bother to do the same for Emily.

I liked how the Orbital was just an attack because there wasn't enough source material to make a unit out of

BX still did what it could to make AGE fun, mostly by making the plot Martian Successor Nadesico Guest-Starring Gundam AGE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I liked how the Orbital was just an attack because there wasn't enough source material to make a unit out of

BX still did what it could to make AGE fun, mostly by making the plot Martian Successor Nadesico Guest-Starring Gundam AGE

I like how the AGE-3 Orbital managed to have less screentime than most of the G-Self's Backpacks which themselves usually got like one episode.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pureauthor posted:

Because Yurin was there for a psychic vision to Flit to tell him to not kill the Vagans whereas Emily is unimportant. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but AGE has problems.

Also the AGE Gundams were all actually pretty good in BX, even the AGE-1 Glansa which is a bit clunky but was helped by being able to fire Plasma Diver Missiles at things you don't like. You also get the satisfaction of shooting down Ezelcant when he first deploys in the Legilis.

Yinlock posted:

To be fair the same is true of the AGE-3 Fortress, Kio shifted into it just for an attack. And it was actually weaker than just pulling out another Blustia Cannon and firing it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

To be fair the same is true of the AGE-3 Fortress, Kio shifted into it just for an attack. And it was actually weaker than just pulling out another Blustia Cannon and firing it.

yeah but the fortress only has one thing it can do anyway, the orbital is a full unit but jobs so impossibly hard that it's relegated to an attack

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Nah, they frequently make form switches into attacks in more modern SRWs, since it's usually not worth making an entirely different form with animations which may or may not see actual use. The G-Self's packs all became attacks or part of attack animations in X, and I think the last time the Impulse actually had an honest-to-god "change the suit to a different form" command was in Z1.

The Orbital and the Fortress have plenty of tech manual material to make moves out of - they're both playable forms in Extreme Versus Maxi Boost/2 - it's just that SRW has kind of cut down the cruft over the years, with a focus on units having fewer attacks and animations but making those attacks much fancier instead.

poo poo, the Qan[t] is another good example of "this suit did loving nothing in its source material" that has been adapted to multiple games with a more complete moveset than it ever used in the 00 movie.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 2, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

Nah, they frequently make form switches into attacks in more modern SRWs, since it's usually not worth making an entirely different form with animations which may or may not see actual use. The G-Self's packs all became attacks or part of attack animations in X, and I think the last time the Impulse actually had an honest-to-god "change the suit to a different form" command was in Z1.

The Orbital and the Fortress have plenty of tech manual material to make moves out of - they're both playable forms in Extreme Versus Maxi Boost/2 - it's just that SRW has kind of cut down the cruft over the years, with a focus on units having fewer attacks and animations but making those attacks much fancier instead.

poo poo, the Qan[t] is another good example of "this suit did loving nothing in its source material" that has been adapted to multiple games with a more complete moveset than it ever used in the 00 movie.

it's probably better but part of me misses the alpha days when every single little thing had a full attack list for no reason, and sometimes they would just make poo poo up like giving unit-01 a loving katana

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They're having enough obvious problems getting all the animations done in HD without making 3x as many for the Strike or Aestivalis or whatever when everyone's just going to use the flying one.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Caphi posted:

They're having enough obvious problems getting all the animations done in HD without making 3x as many for the Strike or Aestivalis or whatever when everyone's just going to use the flying one.

hey I totally used the launcher pack, sometimes. once or twice.

tbf the attack lists were mostly because of the barely-animated alpha sprites, which lead to hilarious things like combattler's 3 pages of moves of which most were "shoot random poo poo from your hands"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If a Gundam has Head Vulcans then, by Giant GM God, they are going to make sure it’s animated. If only because it requires the bare minimum effort.

Way back in the day they gave the GP-02 the plasma leader attack used by the Adzam & Val Varo because it would otherwise only have Vulcans & a beam saber. To the best of my knowledge, that’s the only time they’ve made up a move. I think Capri is right that the extra effort needed for modern animations has made them reevaluate the idea of how many moves a mech really needs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HitTheTargets posted:

If a Gundam has Head Vulcans then, by Giant GM God, they are going to make sure it’s animated. If only because it requires the bare minimum effort.

Way back in the day they gave the GP-02 the plasma leader attack used by the Adzam & Val Varo because it would otherwise only have Vulcans & a beam saber. To the best of my knowledge, that’s the only time they’ve made up a move. I think Capri is right that the extra effort needed for modern animations has made them reevaluate the idea of how many moves a mech really needs.

Honestly that's probably one of the reasons they're doing that 0083 manga, to flesh out better the GP series suits for use in future games

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HitTheTargets posted:

The GP-02's Plasma Leaders aren't the only time Banpresto has invented an attack, but them doing it is drat rare. For point of example WAAAAAAY back in the day in Super Robot Wars 3 the Dijeh SE-R had a Beam Cannon, which has never been referenced in anything else it has ever appeared in. Another example: Beck the Great RX3 actually can finish its attack in SRW. Also: Alpha 2 and 3's version of the Full Armor ZZ Gundam had a really heavy hand-held Beam Cannon which originally appeared on G-Sentinel's FAZZ, that thing isn't ex nihilo but it also wasn't ever used by Judau.

And talking about the GP-02 and new to SRW stuff, the handful of times the GP-02 has shown up (In @2 and 3) it had a Beam Bazooka, just to give it an attack between "Beam Saber" and "Nuclear Annihilation". Now the Beam Bazooka GP-02 does exist as a design, but as far as I can tell Alpha 2 is the earliest instance of the GP-02 using its bazooka to shoot beams. I'd bet if the GP-02 ever shows up again in SRW as a player unit they're going to give it a Beam Bazooka, and maybe the MLRS pack as well.

Also if we're talking about units that are totally different between anime and game I put forth Dancougar, which bears almost no resemblance in combat and loudout to the Dancougar of Super Beast Machine God Dancougar.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly that's probably one of the reasons they're doing that 0083 manga, to flesh out better the GP series suits for use in future games

Hmm. I’d wager on Gunpla before video games. To your point, the Physalis is shown using additional handheld weaponry rather than getting remodeled with some extra parts.

The manga does give Zephyranthes a Full Armor pack though and even has some new characters show up piloting G-Lines. Not to mention the single most toyetic part of the One Year War era: G-Armor.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Way back in the day they gave the GP-02 the plasma leader attack used by the Adzam & Val Varo because it would otherwise only have Vulcans & a beam saber. To the best of my knowledge, that’s the only time they’ve made up a move.

I thought they made up unit-01's katana because the evas being limited to knives makes no loving sense when voltes/dancougar/great mazinger are just busting out huge-rear end swords all the time

Omnicrom posted:

Also if we're talking about units that are totally different between anime and game I put forth Dancougar, which bears almost no resemblance in combat and loudout to the Dancougar of Super Beast Machine God Dancougar.

that's probably because original dancougar has no combat or loadout and is in fact barely mobile

I think most of it's moves come from an ova

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think that katana is technically canon, just never used. Which is roughly on par with the Physalis’s beam bazooka.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

I think that katana is technically canon, just never used. Which is roughly on par with the Physalis’s beam bazooka.

looking it up you're right, there's some concept art for it but it never got used

glad NERV spent all their money on guns that never work instead of a dope sword

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yinlock posted:

looking it up you're right, there's some concept art for it but it never got used

glad NERV spent all their money on guns that never work instead of a dope sword

Ideally you'd want to stop an Angel BEFORE it reaches Tokyo-3, or the Evangelion Unit(s) fighting it. It never works out that way, but it's what they'd want to happen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ideally you'd want to stop an Angel BEFORE it reaches Tokyo-3, or the Evangelion Unit(s) fighting it. It never works out that way, but it's what they'd want to happen.

They made a giant plasma sniper rifle that worked and then only used it once. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

They made a giant plasma sniper rifle that worked and then only used it once. :v:

It was a railgun iirc, and to MAKE it work they had to channel literally all the power in Japan into the goddamn thing. It's not a sustainable method of defense.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was a railgun iirc, and to MAKE it work they had to channel literally all the power in Japan into the goddamn thing. It's not a sustainable method of defense.

It was a particle beam, technically, which is why it took that much power to fire.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

It was a particle beam, technically, which is why it took that much power to fire.

It was rad as heck and that is all that matters. :allears:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

What if we built a power plant on the moon dedicated to this one weapon & had it transfer energy to the Eva via microwaves?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HitTheTargets posted:

What if we built a power plant on the moon dedicated to this one weapon & had it transfer energy to the Eva via microwaves?

Why stop there? Why not have an entire army of Evas with Microwave super cannons that can be controlled by remote?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Assuming it wasn't just Gainax borrowing cool sounding words, it was an antimatter weapon as it was actually called a positron rifle. So aside from the massive power draw, it'd also kind of emit a pretty big burst of radiation as well - hope you'd finished clearing unprotected personnel out of the general vicinity.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

It was rad as heck and that is all that matters. :allears:

It is the most important fictional weapon ever made because Fromsoft based the Karasawa off of it. :black101:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

Assuming it wasn't just Gainax borrowing cool sounding words, it was an antimatter weapon as it was actually called a positron rifle. So aside from the massive power draw, it'd also kind of emit a pretty big burst of radiation as well - hope you'd finished clearing unprotected personnel out of the general vicinity.

isn't the japanese government pretty over collateral damage by that point, iirc the series starts with nukes going off and being utterly useless against angels?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Merilan posted:

isn't the japanese government pretty over collateral damage by that point, iirc the series starts with nukes going off and being utterly useless against angels?

N2 mines, which have the force of nukes but don't give off radiation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

N2 mines, which have the force of nukes but don't give off radiation.

Yeah N2 means Non Nuclear. That is why Het Alone running amok was such a big deal because it was real nuclear

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I eagerly await the SRW/ZOE crossover so we can have the full 50 second startup sequence for the Vector Cannon.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

For those of us in the US, SRW T is on Amazon and I've got it on a wish list to pick up at some point. I could go for a real RPG and why not do one with crazy loving robots and wacky storylines?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kurieg posted:

I eagerly await the SRW/ZOE crossover so we can have the full 50 second startup sequence for the Vector Cannon.

And you know it's going to look goddamn gorgeous.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's also not going to happen because Konami is a poo poo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So I finished watching all of the Origin movies on GundamInfo. It's pretty amazing, and makes me wish they'd continue to adapt all of the Origin manga into a series.

Here's some random thoughts on it:
- A lot of the good parents like Don Teabolo, Astraia and the Aznables get a raw loving deal. Don Teabolo is a saint for all the poo poo Jimba Ral probably put him throughout the years.
- Char is one traitorous rear end in a top hat and kind of a sociopath, huh? I think the subplot between him and Lino is original to the movies too.
- Also, Char's idea of infiltrating the Zabis by standing out as much as possible is hilariously on-brand for him. Hell, Dozle even knows Char has to be the one to spur Garma to pull of the Dawn Rebellion. There is no subtlety to this guy. :lol:
- Seeing Dozle and Zenna together is kinda weird. I guess it's because Zenna's smiling and trying not to freak out when Dozle is being his usual loud self.
- They did an amazing job conveying the terror of everything about Operation British. I'm also curious how much they told Garma about that operation.
- Garma Zabi being a mess of social anxiety and wanting to make himself useful for his family is so relatable. :v:
- The animated fights have a certain floatiness in them, which kinda looks cool. I'm not sure if it's a stylistic choice or because they're sticking close to the action scenes in the manga.
- It's also weird and sad seeing a lot of these characters and knowing they're gonna dies in MSG. Ramba Ral and Crowley Hamon deserved better. :(

I ended the movies with a lot of respect for Sayla. She went through a whole lot of loss and sorrow, but she never came out of it hating anyone. She's a way stronger person than Char could ever hope to be, that's for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, one thing I really like about The Origin as a whole (including the non-animated stuff) is that it has a lot of respect for Sayla. She is allowed to genuinely be a character in a lot more significant a way and it really helps to emphasize that she is Char's sister and for all he talks about how awful it is, she was right alongside him for most of it and she never went down his path.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sayla owns.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, one thing I really like about The Origin as a whole (including the non-animated stuff) is that it has a lot of respect for Sayla. She is allowed to genuinely be a character in a lot more significant a way and it really helps to emphasize that she is Char's sister and for all he talks about how awful it is, she was right alongside him for most of it and she never went down his path.

Yeah. It's disappointing that she doesn't appear much in later stuff, but retiring to build an orphanage and run some charities with her massive piles of gold is a pretty decent way for her life to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Merilan posted:

the government still cares about collateral damage but NERV very much does not beyond the bare minimum to prove they're better than the invading angels. the real reason they never used the positron rifle again is probably because easily defeating the angels would ruin their plan

ImpAtom posted:

I liked when char went apeshit on that dude and as a tiny child she's like "that was hosed up stop doing this"

and char of course was like "yes absolutely I promise I will never do it again *proceeds to spend rest of entire life doing it to the point where he dies trying to do it to the entire planet*"

it helps that she wasn't around for zeta so beltorchika had to take the Insane Gundam Love Interest role