Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Genovera posted:

New SAM glamour:

What sword is that? I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

What sword is that? I love it.

Shin Zantetsuken

It's a drop from the second boss of BA (though pretty low chances) but you can buy it on the MB. Costs have been going up since fewer BA runs have been done but you can get it for about 1-4 million depending on server.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Been doing some retainer cleanup, and I spotted some old glams I wanted to give another shot at.

Made this one for a pre-4.0 red mage glam contest. I was trying to shoot for something outside of the standard feathered cap and whatever, and it was good enough for 2nd place.

This one's not technically old cause I replaced the boots with something more recent.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Out of curiosity, what makes Clemency bad again? I figure more time for the healer to blast out Holies is neat, but I dont play Paladin so :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes Clemency bad again? I figure more time for the healer to blast out Holies is neat, but I dont play Paladin so :shrug:

It might be alright in aoe dungeon situations, but against bosses it's a waste of mana when you should be using Holy Spirit. Come ShB it won't even have the aoe excuse with Holy Circle coming.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use clemency sometimes when a healer lets me dip too low (like sub 15k) and I usually notice that it appears I would have died but for the clemency. I also never get yelled at for healing myself. It's part of the class and PLD is so loving useless otherwise I might as well do it so the healer can use their GCD on slinging rocks.

Besides, it's better to just heal yourself in AoE tanking since healers do better aoe dps than PLDs and holy spirit is useless.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rainuwastaken posted:

The thing with Clemency is that if someone's casting it, they're not actually attacking the bad guys. All other things being equal, tanks actually do a lot more damage per second than healers, so if someone in your party has to stop DPSing to heal, it should be the healer and not the tank. You can look at it the other way too; healers have access to stronger, more efficient healing spells than Clemency, so they should be doing the heavy lifting. Also, I'm not a PLD expert by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure that burning MP on Clemency will screw up the Requiescat/Holy Spirit bit of their rotation?

This applies somewhat less if your party is doing big pulls in dungeons; WHM and SCH can both out-damage a PLD if there's 4 or more targets IIRC. In that case, having the tank do the healing technically makes sense, though you might run into tank-dying problems if you do that since Clemency isn't all that strong.

One thing: spamming Clemency on yourself while a Scholar has Excogiation up on you is a good way to make them die a little inside. Please don't, most SCH mains are already stressed out over Shadowbringers and the threat of actually having to heal job reworks and such. :v:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 2, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I clemency if a healer dies

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I also clemency if I notice my health is low, which isnt very often because I never pay attention to my health lmao

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I use Clemency almost exclusively to annoy my wife, who plays healers.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
A Paladin using Clemency on themself was acceptable in HW when they didn't have any AoE damage so it meant that the healers could AoE more.

There are AoE scenarios now where the Paladin healing themself will let the healer do more AoE damage than the PLD's measly Shield Oath reduced 110 potency AoE. Ideally, you'd want both the PLD and the healer doing damage, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Clemency heals for a crazy amount honestly, it's just such a massive DPS loss in a game focused so much on DPS. Currently, my Clemency heals for around 18.5k to my 75k max HP. It works great for emergency situations if people are aware enough to realize that it's an option, but the situations where it actually saves a run as opposed to just extending a lame duck run are few and far between.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1134611776438325248?s=21

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ wow why does that catgirl have 4 ears, also why is the top right ear reversed lmao

Ibblebibble posted:

It might be alright in aoe dungeon situations, but against bosses it's a waste of mana when you should be using Holy Spirit. Come ShB it won't even have the aoe excuse with Holy Circle coming.

Yeah the only things healers have over paladin is higher potency aoe attacks, but even then as a sch i have enough ogcd poo poo to keep a tank floating easily in recent dungeons without ever touching a gcd heal.

4.0 dungeons are an entirely different matter tho, especially if the tank is doing door to door pulls. Those things are still not nice to scholars. I got a temple of the fist yesterday and some of the bigger pulls can be a bit insane despite the tank having OK gear.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Truga posted:

^^^^ wow why does that catgirl have 4 ears, also why is the top right ear reversed lmao

That's what happens when you do your genetic engineering on a budget.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I remember I used to try to use Clemency to snap threat on those Mammets that would spawn all spaced apart in that last room in the Antitower. I kept getting annoyed at how they’d spread from healer threat since there were casters in there. It sorta worked, but that’s the only place I can remember using it for that reason. Had trouble if the healer was the “Spam Medica 2” or “Tank at 75% HP? BETTER HIT CURE 2!” type.

I’m pretty sure I stopped trying that because I was worried about offending healers.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've played healer for like 90% of my playtime and I couldn't even tell you what Clemency does, so the idea of people getting mad about it sounds pretty funny.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I also played with enough tissue paper tanks while leveling to train me to start healing above 50% or it was going to be a wipe so I could see how new healers would do that.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
It’s the same folks who get mad at healers for dps’ing while they are tanking/dps’ing because that is not “respecting their role”. I’ve only ran into it like once or twice but man are there some people who get really angry over weird stuff sometimes.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

mrfishstick posted:

It’s the same folks who get mad at healers for dps’ing while they are tanking/dps’ing because that is not “respecting their role”. I’ve only ran into it like once or twice but man are there some people who get really angry over weird stuff sometimes.

I mean holy is a huge stun, which helps to prevent damage and even out pulls, so it is definitely "respecting my role" to use it on the reg.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
The amount of good GCDs with no cast times on BLM in Shadowbringers is cool, I'm already thinking of situations where I can pull off ten or more high potency spells in a row while retaining full mobility.

A good BLM is going to do utterly insane things in new savage raiding, I think.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 2, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just smacked a target dummy with a few ilvl 390 Holies. Average 6945 damage. Eclipse in illvl 390 Shield Oath did 1517. Assuming the dude is hard and tanking aoe pulls in Sword Oath, you're looking at 1900 average.

Per second that's Holy: 2480
Shield Oath Eclipse: 624
Sword Oath Eclipse: 781

Even with damage falloff, WHM or AST can do more AOE damage spam.

If buddy Paladin wants to Clemency himself, I'm just gonna take that as a sign to do more Holy or Gravity.

e: Both have Sieryu Weapons, my healers are statted Vit right side because I'm a scrub, tanks statted str. Otherwise mostly Crit > Det melds.

e2: If they Clemency in a boss fight that isn't completely off the rails, they're a loving turd.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 2, 2019

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrfishstick posted:

The one time a tank bitched at me for dosing as a sch he got votekicked because a dumbass that demands that healers only heal slows down the run

It is funny to dps as a healer in wow though. Druids get lots of hots and some really good insta/1.3 second cast single target and aoe dps skills and it breaks peoples minds that I don't just sit there watching hot timers

My go to line for that is that nobody died so I'm doing my job. That pisses off the tank in to overpulling which means even more sick nasty aoe dps for me

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 2, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Uhh yeah. I remember getting yelled at a few times in swtor for using the bigass aoe skill healers there get constantly when I should be healing. And I didn't play that game a lot.

So yeah, to respond to that question of "why is honest healing a term only in ff14", it's because apparently in other mmos honest healing is the norm apparently lmao :ms:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Viera and Hrothgar emote previews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPbiNICZs10

The Hroth ones are pretty great, but I just noticed they suffer from the same affliction as male Roes: Floaty-back. The gunblade in the video is just sort of out there in space. It's a minor issue, but one that sort of bugs me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ugh i wanna be a viera but their emotes are so lifeless

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

queeb posted:

ugh i wanna be a viera but their emotes are so lifeless

They seem more reserved/dignified than lifeless, but hrothgar are definitely much more expressive.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Really liking the hrothgar emotes, like they are clearly posh but at the same time giant energetic beasts

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Truga posted:

4.0 dungeons are an entirely different matter tho, especially if the tank is doing door to door pulls. Those things are still not nice to scholars. I got a temple of the fist yesterday and some of the bigger pulls can be a bit insane despite the tank having OK gear.

This was one of the big things that made 4.0 SCH suck so much outside of trials. Between the higher MP costs, tanks with garbage gear, and having literally no AoE except nerfed Bane and Shadow Flare, the 4.0 dungeons were a ridiculous amount of effort.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Truga posted:

So yeah, to respond to that question of "why is honest healing a term only in ff14", it's because apparently in other mmos honest healing is the norm apparently lmao :ms:

FFXIV does this amazing thing called "Don't have random unavoidable damage happening every 2 seconds the entire fight". Like seriously the number of wow bosses that just do random hits of damage on random people that doesn't even have a cast bar or distinct animation, or just auras of gently caress you, take 10% HP damage every 2 seconds just to ensure that healers do nothing but heal nonstop the entire fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

The spell itself isn't bad. If your healer is actually struggling to keep you alive it's not a bad idea to use it. And as others pointed out there are plenty of other uses, like if your healer dies or you need to generate enmity on distant or inactive enemies. The problem is when that's not the case, it's usually just a wasted action. It also basically says "I don't trust you to do your job so I'm going to do it for you" whether intentionally or not.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't PLD much but when I do I always use Hallowed Ground when I can on the larger full pulls so the healer can go hog wild with AoE for a while (I use it after mobs get stun resistance when with a whm). When I know the bosses it's not a big deal not to have the invuln.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just smacked a target dummy with a few ilvl 390 Holies. Average 6945 damage. Eclipse in illvl 390 Shield Oath did 1517. Assuming the dude is hard and tanking aoe pulls in Sword Oath, you're looking at 1900 average.

Per second that's Holy: 2480
Shield Oath Eclipse: 624
Sword Oath Eclipse: 781

Even with damage falloff, WHM or AST can do more AOE damage spam.

If buddy Paladin wants to Clemency himself, I'm just gonna take that as a sign to do more Holy or Gravity.

e: Both have Sieryu Weapons, my healers are statted Vit right side because I'm a scrub, tanks statted str. Otherwise mostly Crit > Det melds.

e2: If they Clemency in a boss fight that isn't completely off the rails, they're a loving turd.

The key data point you're missing is that healers, especially white mages, have a ton of healing options that don't cost a whole GCD. If your healing strat is holy spam->benediction->more holy spam, then a clemency in there will do literally nothing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Saigyouji posted:

This was one of the big things that made 4.0 SCH suck so much outside of trials. Between the higher MP costs, tanks with garbage gear, and having literally no AoE except nerfed Bane and Shadow Flare, the 4.0 dungeons were a ridiculous amount of effort.

Good news you'll have even less AoE come 5.0!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

If the current potency ratios hold, you'll actually have the best spammable AoE in raw potency terms out of all three healers.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Axle_Stukov posted:

FFXIV does this amazing thing called "Don't have random unavoidable damage happening every 2 seconds the entire fight". Like seriously the number of wow bosses that just do random hits of damage on random people that doesn't even have a cast bar or distinct animation, or just auras of gently caress you, take 10% HP damage every 2 seconds just to ensure that healers do nothing but heal nonstop the entire fight.

I can confirm that this was the case back through classic and early burning crusade. Sounds like it still hasn't changed. Also, healers did poor damage anyways from what I recall and healing tended to be more MP intensive. WoW healing was about MP management in the face of being forced to spam heals. It was pretty dumb, all told.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Dr Pepper posted:

SCH AoE's actually kinda weird now without Bane. At 2/3 mobs it's going to be better to multi-dot Biolysis and then just spam AoW, with AoW spam alone breaking even with Biolysis at 4 mobs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Obligatum VII posted:

I can confirm that this was the case back through classic and early burning crusade. Sounds like it still hasn't changed. Also, healers did poor damage anyways from what I recall and healing tended to be more MP intensive. WoW healing was about MP management in the face of being forced to spam heals. It was pretty dumb, all told.

They changed the healing system to a more triage-oriented model after WotLK with varying degrees of success each expansion. Most healer damage abilities were changed to cost a pittance of MP, and Accuracy was removed as a stat, so pumping out DPS as a healer is more common. A few setups actually have damage-to-healing or damage-to-utility conversions as a part of their class or talent trees, like Crusader's Might HPaladin, Rising Mist Mistweaver, and the entirety of Discipline Priest.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Sorry to drive by, but are there any shots of lionos or vieras woth helmets on? I'm really wondering how they fit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Helmets don't work with Viera or Hrothgar, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Arist posted:

Helmets don't work with Viera or Hrothgar, sadly

After hearing how disappointed people were about that the modeling team put in extra hours and got helmets working on both.

E: The first helmet that comes to mind is here in this vid. Not the best example but its here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuF0Bjuclg