Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Plan Z posted:

Haven't thought about that, but that is probably super helpful for Roger to just be a different character so you don't run into the Simpsons/Family Guy thing of just having too many characters around that you have to flesh out. If you just need this type of character to do an episode, you don't need to bring in a character, name them, then either write them into the universe or just awkwardly dump them at the end of an episode.

Plus, they've started getting weird with the Roger personas. Like in some episode one of his personas will have a human twin brother, and their mother will also be Roger in a different costume. And of course, because American Dad is meta as hell, everyone else realizes how weird this is as well.

It's just such a well written, self-aware and amazingly fresh show that constantly keeps surprising me, and making me laugh harder than any other show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the more recent episodes was Roger having a crisis about getting older, when one of his teenage girl personas got fired from her modelling job for turning 20 or something.

The person who fired her was also a Roger persona.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Der Shovel posted:

Plus, they've started getting weird with the Roger personas. Like in some episode one of his personas will have a human twin brother, and their mother will also be Roger in a different costume. And of course, because American Dad is meta as hell, everyone else realizes how weird this is as well.

It's just such a well written, self-aware and amazingly fresh show that constantly keeps surprising me, and making me laugh harder than any other show.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

His “son” Dmitri, when he’s doing a half-assed job pretending to be a Greek mother is a pretty good one, but I think my favorite Roger is the already-referenced one with a human twin with whom he runs a cement company

Or his “a list persona” in the episode where he replaces a woman in her life and marriage to a dentist

American Dad is fantastically creative, I just remembered I have a new episode or two to watch, also

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright enough, you've convinced me to watch American Dad

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Alright enough, you've convinced me to watch American Dad

Please refer to a few pages ago where the merits of the first season are discussed so you don’t get the wrong impression - it takes a few years for it to really hit its stride but there are plenty of fantastic episodes in the very early seasons

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
As per the recommendation of this thread and SA in general, I've decided to watch the latest full season of American Dad and I made a mistake earlier

Plant MONSTER. posted:

also i hate roger is funny!!!!

It seems like they know how to use the cast to its full extent. I swear there was a reference to Old Simpsons in one of the American Dad episodes I watched yesterday, I just can't remember what.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

pooch516 posted:

That's bad.

It's one of the most memorable parts of the show.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

That is an unsatisfying answer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Principal Lewis is another brilliant character. I think in the early seasons he's just a standard authority figure. But at one point they decided to make him a sleazy character and he became comedy gold.

He's got red eyes because he was smoking weed.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Principal Lewis is another brilliant character. I think in the early seasons he's just a standard authority figure. But at one point they decided to make him a sleazy character and he became comedy gold.

I really can't believe he's an educator

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Watching episodes here and there, and yeah, Dad is good. I wish they would stop doing that post-script of "The punchline to that joke was..." They're often pretty good jokes, you don't need to throw on the meta layer because you're unconfident about the audience reaction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Way way more exhausting than Roger episodes are the bevy of “Stan gets really into X and takes it WAY TOO FAR!”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Principal Lewis had this mysterious untold backstory used sparingly in the early seasons that made him great.

quote:

Pure Peruvian marching powder, grown on the Andes, north slope. I'd say it's about 80% baby laxative. Yep, this junk means only one thing. Esteban Mortia is back in business.

Tell Esteban "El Lobo Negron" sends his regards.

I am the only Goon apparently that never really liked the overused "[NOUN], BITCHES! *flips off everybody*" rear end in a top hat Lewis that came with the later seasons, but they seem to have dialed him back since.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI30Xe1wRGc

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
dirty work loving owns

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWVyY53emmo

Principal Lewis owns.

BryanAdams
May 31, 2019

Ask no questions, get no answers
Homer gets an iPad

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I like how they're poor but always seem to have new technology, barring the TV. Didn't Homer pull out a smartphone back when those weren't as common? He probably did. Unfortunately there's no frinkiac for vaguely describing things that may have happened on the simpsons.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I like how they're poor but always seem to have new technology, barring the TV. Didn't Homer pull out a smartphone back when those weren't as common? He probably did. Unfortunately there's no frinkiac for vaguely describing things that may have happened on the simpsons.

That's always been a thing. They can't produce like $200 for an air conditioner, but Homer will slap down $1100 in cash for Itchy and Scratchy money.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BryanAdams posted:

Homer gets an iPad

MyMad by Mapple made by Steve Mobs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Long gone are the days of buying a brand new Magnet Box TV

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Way way more exhausting than Roger episodes are the bevy of “Stan gets really into X and takes it WAY TOO FAR!”

Not an animated show in the world that doesn't rely on that plotline.

Like half of King of the Hill was Bobby getting really into something new.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Long gone are the days of buying a brand new Magnet Box TV

With a little cart so they can wheel it into the dining room on holidays

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I wonder if they try to keep ahead on tech to make the reruns more relevant for longer

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jel Shaker posted:

I wonder if they try to keep ahead on tech to make the reruns more relevant for longer

I’ve been rewatching from season 3 and literally the only moment where dated technology comes up is for a how’s my driving call x joke where everyone runs to a public phone otherwise it’s felt fairly timeless

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
In season 2 Lisa thinks she's going to Hell for stealing cable but in the current year Al Jean told me I'm going to Hell for downloading

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Plan Z posted:

That's always been a thing. They can't produce like $200 for an air conditioner, but Homer will slap down $1100 in cash for Itchy and Scratchy money.

If Homer has an extra $1,000 he should buy more Dimoxinil. He knows it works.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

That poo poo made me literally lol. Frick, I love 'American Dad!'... Not like I love OG 'Simpsons' but drat

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The lollapalooza episode has to be the first episode where they're just kissing poorly aging celebrity butt. Like the main characters' are there as a vehicle for more dialogue by popular mid to late 90's musicians instead of the other way around
I’m not counting Homer at the bat because that was a fantastic episode

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

You Are A Elf posted:

Principal Lewis had this mysterious untold backstory used sparingly in the early seasons that made him great.

I am the only Goon apparently that never really liked the overused "[NOUN], BITCHES! *flips off everybody*" rear end in a top hat Lewis that came with the later seasons, but they seem to have dialed him back since.

Lewis is proof that if The Simpsons had played Poochie (or Roy) straight goons would have loved him.

Quirky, lol so random, focus-grouped edge is like crack to some people (Lewis likes crack haha... and so does Bullock as they're literally the same character).

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I get the criticism of Principal Lewis but lol he and Bullock are not the same character come the gently caress on. Bullock is distilled debauchery with a upperclass english veneer and Lewis is basically just a psychopathic hedonist.

Maybe it's just your reading of the characters that is basic as gently caress? :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
they both exist to provide lots of lolrandom moments. Lewis just yells them and Bullock is "what if lolrandom but said by Patrick Stewart"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

sassassin posted:

Quirky, lol so random,
haha yeah that's Poochie alright

Cubone
May 26, 2011

NOT

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Poochie likes to get bizzay

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The true Poochie on American Dad was Reginald. He was sent off to his own planet at some point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sassassin posted:

Lewis is proof that if The Simpsons had played Poochie (or Roy) straight goons would have loved him.

Quirky, lol so random, focus-grouped edge is like crack to some people (Lewis likes crack haha... and so does Bullock as they're literally the same character).

lol

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

J-Spot posted:

The true Poochie on American Dad was Reginald. He was sent off to his own planet at some point.

Even though he's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTEWAd8YIO4&t=3s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The lolrandom humor gets too much at points in AD!, imo. I always fastforward through that "Mister and Lady" bit that goes on forever.