Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Streaming only is fine if you're a poor college student watching movies on a 13" crt monitor you found in a ravine.

ElGroucho posted:

Boy, you want to be stuck with the disappointy end, try to watch the LOTR dvd on a 4K TV

It's like watching a DivX movie
what the hell sort of language is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

oberyn martell was great

When he shows up you know This Guy fucks!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Who owns that one monster colossal loving castle in Germany?

It's on a mountain top and has a blue roof, iirc.

Neuschanstein?

Dunno, probably the state of Germany though. It's a big tourist destination.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

When the Ironborn hold their kingsmoot in the books, the island they are on has a massive skeleton of some long dead sea creature. Like the rib bones are towering over them.

lmao and this is the dull poo poo we got on the show

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I bet tomorrow nights ep is when they finally reveal stoneheart

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

A Handed Missus posted:

lmao and this is the dull poo poo we got on the show

To be fair it's a set that's only gonna be used once. It's not like they're holding regular moots there.

*edit also he kind of stole that from China Mieville.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

To be fair it's a set that's only gonna be used once. It's not like they're holding regular moots there.

would have been a better use for the fx budget than concealing the death of missandei from the extras and crew

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It would cost, what, $100K, max, to actually have something interesting in the later seasons?

You could recoup $1M by not having that awful Jon riding Rhaegal scene and instead get 10 cool scenes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Eurons ship looked really dope

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I forgot about Cersei telling Catelyn about her son with Robert. That was made up for the show, right? It seems strange in retrospect given how much Cersei wanted Bran dead, but it still works given that Cersei does have some sympathy as a mother.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it occurs to me as I watch deadwood and drink warm whiskey from a large glass that HBO seems desparate not to appear as a one trick pony like AMC post-breaking bad. Which is to say, maybe it's time to move on, from this thread

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

poverty goat posted:

it occurs to me as I watch deadwood and drink warm whiskey from a large glass that HBO seems desparate not to appear as a one trick pony like AMC post-breaking bad. Which is to say, maybe it's time to move on

They cgi'd deadwood into Chernobyl too

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I forgot about Cersei telling Catelyn about her son with Robert. That was made up for the show, right? It seems strange in retrospect given how much Cersei wanted Bran dead, but it still works given that Cersei does have some sympathy as a mother.

It also contradicts Cersei telling Ned Robert never finished inside her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Onto episode 3 and goddamn, Syrio is on screen for all of three minutes at the end of the episode and he steals the entire show.

gently caress this season is good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Syrio owns so much they gotta keep referencing him via "not today" until the very end

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
One thing about Bronn sticking around is he took over some book roles meant for other actors. Jamie is supposed to have the mute executioner follow him around but the actor got cancer and they didn't recast the role. Still it is odd they went with that when Lena refused to be in the same space as him. Maybe D&D are pricks and did it to mess with her?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bronn was always a favorite even in the books he was a oval office that backed it up, it makes sense they'd keep the character around

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Which imbecile is actually complaining about Bronn being a thing.

'that one character everyone loves, hur'

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I think I see why Kit is in rehab now, this must have hit a little close to home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcg_e-FY_Vs&t=296s

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Ivar the Boneless

I defeated him in some Viking board game I got.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

One, Bronn needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Bronn's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Bronn?'

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

"This guy's great, let's overuse the gently caress out of him"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Ivar the Boneless

More like Ivar the Bonerless

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Come to think of it, there is a lot that I think will go better in the books.

Jon compromising his honor for the sake of Sansa's life was a solid parallel to Ned in the series but was set up pretty terribly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_agPng1V8

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

LinYutang posted:

Come to think of it, there is a lot that I think will go better in the books.

The books can end the exact same way as the show (Bran king, North independent, Lord Bronn of Highgarden) and it will actually feel earned and deserved.

Nah, we'll also post about how terrible the books ended as well. :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Bronn was always a favorite even in the books he was a oval office that backed it up, it makes sense they'd keep the character around

In show he was also such a great scene stealer

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Every little detail I hear about from the books is like a thousand times cooler than what I saw on the show.

Which makes me wonder why no one is jumping on the chance to make an animated GoT series where budget and actors are not a limiting factor to what they can show.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Because it's all about LIVE ACTION* now baby.

*CGI

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vakal posted:

Which makes me wonder why no one is jumping on the chance to make an animated GoT series where budget and actors are not a limiting factor to what they can show.

1. The show was from the start intended to fit into the "Prestige TV" (lol) programming of HBO, and in the mind of most people that's incompatible with animation.
2. Animation is expensive.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

One, Bronn needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Bronn's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Bronn?'

Honestly I'm pretty sure Bronn was around all the time because he had a really high Q score. The problem is he's a boring character if you keep bringing him out because he always does the same thing.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
they should have greenscreened bronn into all of cersei's drinking & staring out the window scenes as a prank on lena

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

YaketySass posted:

1. The show was from the start intended to fit into the "Prestige TV" (lol) programming of HBO, and in the mind of most people that's incompatible with animation.
2. Animation is expensive.

expensive compared to this show tho?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

expensive compared to this show tho?

Some quick googling said that each episode costs about $10 million, and a Miyazaki movie twice the length costs $20 million. So yeah for the same expense you could have that quality of animation.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

So yeah for the same expense you could have that quality of animation.

I'm sure the people that made the Dragon Lance animated movie could hammer out something on the cheap.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Given how dark this season was just drop the visuals altogether and make a radio play.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
how much for some into the spider verse poo poo

get those people to do everything

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

RobattoJesus posted:

Given how dark this season was just drop the visuals altogether and make a radio play.

50 minutes of purestrain dnd dialogue would certainly be a thing

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
the simple english wiki version of a dream of spring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Necros posted:

if your house doesnt have a mechanism to dump boiling oil on your enemies you dont get to call it a castle

It's called a wok, and it's used to defend your castle from chickens and sliced vegetables