Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, I think her dad got himself into financial trouble and that's why she was married to Brom.

But I think his family was ultra-wealthy (I think his parents gave him the $20000 to invest in the gold claim?), and even they tried to get their hands on Alma's gold claim.

So she totally had Hearst-level bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Great movie. Greatest show. Thanks hbo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That movie felt like visiting an old cabin that you used to stay at as a kid, complete with a nice fire, blankets on the couch, and a comfortable pair of slippers.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

More to the point, she has more money ready to hand in cash.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Professor Shark posted:

That movie felt like visiting an old cabin that you used to stay at as a kid, complete with a nice fire, blankets on the couch, and a comfortable pair of slippers.

...and someone has kept the place clean and tidy. It was like stepping into a memory.

It was so perfect. :allears:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That was tremendous

Regarding the flashbacks - some of the new footage followed the old footage almost to the frame, so they had to have intended that when making the movie

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I saw Deadwood so long ago that I only half remember some of the plotlines, but that movie was easy to follow and so satisfying. The series had left on such an unfinished note that you felt a bit lost when it ended, but this caps it off with some happy endings and amazing moments.

A+++

(I did just realize that even though the show was kinda leading up to the whole "fire burning down the town in 1879" plot point, by coming back 10 years later, we have to imagine it never happened in their reality since all the buildings are pretty much the same. Kinda funny/weird.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

I saw Deadwood so long ago that I only half remember some of the plotlines, but that movie was easy to follow and so satisfying. The series had left on such an unfinished note that you felt a bit lost when it ended, but this caps it off with some happy endings and amazing moments.

A+++

(I did just realize that even though the show was kinda leading up to the whole "fire burning down the town in 1879" plot point, by coming back 10 years later, we have to imagine it never happened in their reality since all the buildings are pretty much the same. Kinda funny/weird.)

IRL a lot of the sets had been severely altered for other shows (Westworld lol) and they had to remake much of the facades by referencing screenshots from the original series

Their attitude when things didn't look quite right was "well there was a fire at some point"

Good read:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/arts/television/deadwood-the-movie-hbo.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EugeneJ posted:

Regarding the flashbacks - some of the new footage followed the old footage almost to the frame, so they had to have intended that when making the movie

What do you mean by this?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

What do you mean by this?

The scene where the new girl is circling around Al's bed and they keep cutting back to Trixie doing the same thing from the same angle

Among many other examples

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Madurai posted:

More to the point, she has more money ready to hand in cash.

She also is an owner of the bank that was running the estate auction.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CubanMissile posted:

Did anyone mention what happened to Cy at all?

It's mentioned during Joanie's exchange with Jane in the stable that Cy left everything to her, but they don't say how he died

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So who did the money go to with the public auction?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

EugeneJ posted:

It's mentioned during Joanie's exchange with Jane in the stable that Cy left everything to her, but they don't say how he died

I'm just going to guess it was syphillis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did anyone else feel like some of the characters, especially Bullock and Trixie, got out of their bad situations too easily in the movie?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if the story continued on they'd be pretty hosed still.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

So who did the money go to with the public auction?

Charlie's estate. Which I'm assuming will go to.....I don't know, Jane?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Charlie's estate. Which I'm assuming will go to.....I don't know, Jane?

Then they could have just given her the land. If he didn't have a will, maybe it all just goes to the town.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

if the story continued on they'd be pretty hosed still.

That’s one of my favorite things on first viewing: really, none of the hanging plot points got resolved but it feels so much more satisfying!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have the plots/scripts of the unproduced Deadwood movies from 2008-ish ever leaked anywhere?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There are no truly happy endings in Deadwood - we've known this for over a decade

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

EugeneJ posted:

Have the plots/scripts of the unproduced Deadwood movies from 2008-ish ever leaked anywhere?

Even if they did, I’d take them with a grain of salt because of Milch rewrites. This movie was an anomaly in that HBO forced him to lock in a script before ok-ing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That’s one of my favorite things on first viewing: really, none of the hanging plot points got resolved but it feels so much more satisfying!

it's genius because there really is no way to do a traditional ending so we get as happy an ending as you can manage even if really it's in the middle of things.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Am I the only loser who watched with closed-captioning so I could make sure to get every word of the dialogue?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

However it is worth saying that Joseph Pulitzer is at least as responsible for the rise of yellow journalism as William Randolph, and the existence of the Pulitzer Prize is a testament to how far these men would go to whitewash their own legacy.

There is a really fun book called Murder of the Century about them, the rise of yellow journalism, and a crazy hosed up murder in 1897.

The dialogue in the movie kind of threw me off. I don’t remember it being that heavy.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

fawning deference posted:

Am I the only loser who watched with closed-captioning so I could make sure to get every word of the dialogue?

No, I'm a loser too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well that was downright art.

An ending that doesn't offer complete and neat resolution. Who would ever think something like that could be so satisfying. More the point that every character turns a major corner. Amazing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That was amazing. I don't know what else I can say.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Phenotype posted:

How did Alma outbid George Hearst? I didn't think she was anywhere near Hearst rich.

she owns the bank that owns the claim, which reverted back to the banks property after charlie was murdered.

she can bid anything cuz she doesn't actually have to pay it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Movie was pretty good. satisfying conclusion to the series

harry's resolution was surprising.

I'm not sure what the character of the new prostitute was supposed to be about

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This was fantastic.

With so much entertainment effectively weaponizing nostalgia lately (Stranger Things, the MCU, Cobra Kai, Star Wars, how many?) I was worried that this would follow suit - but somehow it doesn't. There is nostalgia, but it has a weight to it that's different and a lot more personal. Milch's diagnosis has a whole lot to do with that, but the gap in time does, too. It's like going to a family reunion where it hurts to see how everyone's changed because it hurts to know that everyone does. And you aren't any different.

Edit: That AVClub review is good and surprisingly insightful for the general caliber of essays over there anymore.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 3, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Movie was pretty good. satisfying conclusion to the series

harry's resolution was surprising.

I'm not sure what the character of the new prostitute was supposed to be about

It seemed to be that she might have been Jen's sister.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The prostitute was a way of showing the world goes on even if your part of it doesn’t. Al may be dying and all the characters we knew may have grown up, but some subset of young ladies are still gonna be making their way out west to be whores. But this time, instead of being chewed up by the camp, an older, wiser Trixie asks if that’s really the life she wants.

I kept waiting for the shoe to drop that she’s someone’s daughter/sister. But it was much better this way. Kept it from being an insular circlejerk.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Trevor Hale posted:

The prostitute was a way of showing the world goes on even if your part of it doesn’t. Al may be dying and all the characters we knew may have grown up, but some subset of young ladies are still gonna be making their way out west to be whores. But this time, instead of being chewed up by the camp, an older, wiser Trixie asks if that’s really the life she wants.

I kept waiting for the shoe to drop that she’s someone’s daughter/sister. But it was much better this way. Kept it from being an insular circlejerk.

Yeah, I was worried she was sent by Hearst to stab someone in the back, which would have been too Game of Thrones-y

Still, I'd rather they have done more with Sofia instead.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

e: fun historical side note, William Randolph Hearst, the inventor of yellow journalism whose newspapers nearly exclusively printed lies and fake stories, up to and including a wholly imaginary war, got his start in "journalism" by trying to put Joseph Pulitzer out of business. Pulitzer, as in the Pulitzer Award for exceptional journalism and writing.

pulitzer was also a yellow journalist who famously tried to break the newsies strike

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm a little disappointed they didn't bring back Sofia's actual original actress.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

yeah i figured she was someone's secret daughter or a hearst plant.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah, I think this was needed, too. It would have been weird for none of the characters to have meaningful interactions with anyone they didn't know 10 years earlier. They didn't need to make a big deal of it and I think it was nice touch.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm an idiot who can't discern subtext: were Samuel and Al both dying in their final scenes? Dying as in "if the scene continued for another few seconds, we'd have seen them expire"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing yes. Al spent a bunch of the movie getting his affairs in order and it looked like he was ready to die. Though, in reality he shouldn't die until he is murdered in 1904.