Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for ghosting a woman cause she's a police officer and I'm a felon?

I met this woman about a month ago and she's honestly the best person in the entire world! She's always messaging me on instagram and snapchat, sending me food pics lol. She always brings me food after group runs. We didn't meet on tinder we met through a running group im in. We went on a date and I found out she's a police officer in the next city over. I had no idea she was a cop! None of her social media posts say anything about her being a police officer. She has an instagram but no facebook. After I found out I blocked her on instagram and snapchat. I cannot face her on our next group run I put myself in a tough spot. I did that because its a massive no no for a cop to be associated with felons. It was only a matter of time before she found out. Perhaps one day I can get it expunged!

do not gently caress the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
AITA because I’m furious that my SIL tattooed my kids’ names on her body?

quote:

*edit/info for clarification: I didn’t cancel the vacation and won’t. It just makes me want to not see her.

I think it’s disturbing that my sister-in-law, who has a long-distance, limited relationship with our children, had their names tattooed on her arm. She did not ask us how we felt, just posted a picture on social media once it was done. She has no children of her own, but is still in her child-bearing years. She is not a close beloved aunt of my children- they see her once a year and talk to her briefly on holidays. They never talk about her or ask about her between those times. They like her well enough, but she likes to lecture them and attempt to parent them, so a little of her goes a long way.

She is going to expect us to all oooh and ahh about this tattoo. I have nothing nice to say. I am not flattered, I feel violated. I feel like it glorifies tattoos (something neither I or their father have, though this isn’t about tattoos in general-it’s about tattoos of my kids’ names. To each their own on tattoos). More importantly, it glorifies her relationship with our kids. She barely knows them, and doesn’t spend time with them when we do visit. On our last visit, she sent our kids to McDonalds with her friend and didn’t join them. She later used a photo the friend took of my sons eating, and posted it as if she HAD been there. It’s crazy. Instead of the cost of a tattoo (this tattoo is huge BTW), how about a plane ticket to visit the children you claim to love so much? She talks about my children taking care of her when she’s in a nursing home... why would they? They will be busy with their own families, and taking care of their parents!

I was so mad when I saw the tattoo that I told my husband I wanted to cancel our upcoming vacation to see her (and their grandparents). I have been taking my anger out on him, which is probably unfair but I feel his lack of communication with them leads to this kind of crazy. AITA because I think tattooing my kids’ names on her body is weird? Am I supposed to feel flattered? I feel like if anyone is going to tattoo my kids’ names on their body is should be me or my husband!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AITA for agreeing to have a baby only if my husband agrees to provide most or all of the childcare?

quote:

So I’m fully aware this may be beyond this sub’s paygrade but right now I’m in this phase where I just want as many opinions as possible.

Anyways, we’ve been together 7 years, married for 3. We were both childfree when we met but slowly he’s shifted over to wanting kids. Our marriage over the past year has been extremely rocky as a result since we still love each other and don’t want to live without each other.

But our marriage counselor in recent months has been pushing us to find a resolution because things can’t go on without getting worse. My husband sat me down a few weeks ago to talk about trial separation. He feels that if he misses his chance for children he’ll only resent me years later and he’d rather separate now than cause more pain for us. I’m heartbroken to say the least.

Recently I saw a friend and she suggested something I’m afraid to bring up to my therapist or our counselor because I think they’ll call it crazy. She says I should just tell my husband I’d be willing to have a baby if he promises to take over all of the childcare, from infancy to teenager. This way we can stay together, he gets his child, and I still get to live my life as I’ve always dreamed.

I havent asked him yet but I’ve talked to my mom and sister. They said it’s feasible but they can’t imagine this system working out in the long run, and that I’ll probably get more people judging me for being an “absentee mom.” AITA for considering this option instead of separation?

I'm sure this will work out super great for everyone, especially the child

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
"The problem with cementing a cracking relationship with a baby, is that the mother cares too much about the kid"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

now that's a fresh twist on a classic bad idea

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
What's the plan when he does what she suggests and spends all his time with the child instead of her? I'm sure having a mother that resents you won't cause any lasting emotional issues.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for agreeing to have a baby only if my husband agrees to provide most or all of the childcare?

I'm sure this will work out super great for everyone, especially the child

1 or 2 months in when the baby is here, you're SO getting divorced. Lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is the NYT fair game for this? Because this is a real issue that many couples have to deal with, but this seems like an incredibly regrettable way to phrase it: My Marriage Has a Third Wheel: Our Child

In the article she compares her kid to Camilla Parker-Bowles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I thought it was pretty well established that having a child puts stress on a marriage that a LOT of couples end up divorcing as a result of. Like, even when it's planned and both partners want the baby it's basically an acid test for the marriage and causes what might have seemed like minor issues to become huge irreconcilable differences after months of sleep deprivation, sharp reductions in free time, and significantly increased household expenses.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I worked in a lovely gift shop in a zoo once, and I will never forget when a coworker requested time off because her grandfather was dying, and her family needed her there. The owner of the zoo sat her down and told her that people die every day, and her family doesn't need her there, but what HE needs is her to come to work because otherwise we'd be short staffed.

The fact he said it all with a straight face. The dude should have won an Oscar in Human Shittiness.

Years ago I was a warehouse manager and I gave the owner of the company a heads up that my spouse's uncle was in hospice care and that at some point soon I would have to take a day for the services. Her response was to throw up her hands with a little laugh and say "It's only her uncle!"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Years ago I was a warehouse manager and I gave the owner of the company a heads up that my spouse's uncle was in hospice care and that at some point soon I would have to take a day for the services. Her response was to throw up her hands with a little laugh and say "It's only her uncle!"

Welcome to Germany, where you only get a day off for close relatives. I was refused to attend my grandparents funeral four times. Twice during school, twice at work.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pirate Radar posted:

Is the NYT fair game for this? Because this is a real issue that many couples have to deal with, but this seems like an incredibly regrettable way to phrase it: My Marriage Has a Third Wheel: Our Child

In the article she compares her kid to Camilla Parker-Bowles.

My husband actually enjoys the presence of our unbearable parasite of a 9 yo daughter. Plz send help

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For Firing An Employee After His Parents Died?

I'm the VP of Sales at a software company and one of our sales development reps parents passed away at the beginning of April, sadly they were involved in a car crash and both lost their lives. Now the employee in question in very young 22 year old guy and has been with us for about 10 months now. He's a great employee and we were thinking about promotions in the next ~6 months for him. His job is a high paying one for a new grad, about ~90k with commission and base so we expect a lot from this position. Because of the accident we let him take a 1 month paid leave of absence from work and he's returned a few weeks ago and his performance is severely lacking. He's super unmotivated, not cold calling, out reaching to prospects for the last 2-3 weeks enough since he's come back. Our whole mgmt team has noticed this and we decided to let him go because we feel like he'd need months and months to be able to produce again and we can't just wait that long.

We called him into a meeting on Friday afternoon and gave him the bad news, he was very calm and rude about it. Told us to go gently caress ourselves and got up and went to his desk grabbed his few things and left. I thought this was very very unprofessional and extremely rude.

I told my boyfriend about all of this and he said myself and my mgmt team are a bunch of asses and pricks with no hearts.

AITA?

Lol literally no company deserves loyalty. It doesn’t matter how good or how much poo poo you put up with as an employee they’ll drop your rear end the second you become a minor inconvenience.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

FAUXTON posted:

I thought it was pretty well established ....

No. Lol

Much like psychedlic drugs, people have no concept of how it really is, until they're immersed in it up to the roots of their hair. The first 2 years aged me like dogyears each.

There's people who have twins.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pick posted:

don't you tuck the condom into the foreskin?

Actually, the condom just goes over the balls. Getting it anywhere near the penis is a rookie mistake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Power Khan posted:

No. Lol

Much like psychedlic drugs, people have no concept of how it really is, until they're immersed in it up to the roots of their hair. The first 2 years aged me like dogyears each.

I can only imagine what triplets are like. Seems impossible to babysit on your own without at least a sheepdog. No wonder Donald Duck is so cranky.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I met this woman about a month ago and she's honestly the best person in the entire world! She's always messaging me on instagram and snapchat, sending me food pics lol. She always brings me food after group runs. We didn't meet on tinder we met through a running group im in. We went on a date and I found out she's a police officer in the next city over. I had no idea she was a cop! None of her social media posts say anything about her being a police officer. She has an instagram but no facebook. After I found out I blocked her on instagram and snapchat. I cannot face her on our next group run I put myself in a tough spot. I did that because its a massive no no for a cop to be associated with felons. It was only a matter of time before she found out. Perhaps one day I can get it expunged!

It's like someone cut up Les Miserables and glued to back together out of order.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

I would...take an Uber because what the gently caress is that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why one would enter the center ring. Is that for cutting right across the whole thing without circling at all?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why one would enter the center ring. Is that for cutting right across the whole thing without circling at all?

I think that's the ring where all the alpha cars hang out in order to keep all of the little cars in the outer circles in check.

Power Khan posted:

My GF is trying to look like Emilia Clarke/Danearys and her obsession is pissing me off.

You can show her up by growing 2', hitting the gym, becoming Khal Drogo and then melting her brother's head with a a bucket of molten gold.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 3, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Power Khan posted:

No. Lol

Is it wrong that I [36M] expect my wife [40F] to cook dinner for us and keep the house clean and tidy if she is a stay at home mom? She says that for me to expect this is unfair, her job of looking after the twins is hard enough.

quote:

I've been married for 5 years. We have twin girls together now they are 2.5yrs.

My wife stopped working a year before the girls were born as we did IVF and hasn’t worked since.

My daily routine is pretty regular, I work full time in the city and am out if the house for 12 hours every day, 7-7 then back to put the kids to bed, then and a quick tidy of the house, the kids toys, all before deciding what to do for dinner and eventually relaxing for an hour or so.

My wife looks after the kids, takes them to playgroups, does loads of activities with them which is what we both want. What she doesn’t do is cook dinner, put laundry away, put bins out, generally keep the house tidy. She does clean and hoover but there is always a mess everywhere. Clean clothes pile up waiting to be put away. (I always have to put away my own)

She says that I should cook dinner half the time, and she should cook on the days I don't. but she doesn’t, often saying I’m not hungry on days she is supposed to cook. Furthermore, she says that I should be doing at least half of the housework. (Cleaning, dusting, hoovering, laundry, etc.)

She says that her looking after the kids is her job and thus, she works just as hard as me and doesn’t have time to keep the house tidy.

Tl; DR What I don't like is the idea of being exhausted from a full day at work, having to come through the door to a messy house, no food, and a list of things that need to be done, when my wife has been home all day with the kids.

Is she mismanaging her time?

Do other mothers of twins not do any housework?

Am I off base here? Or is my wife wrong?

Hoping for suggestions and input.

TIA

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Preparing food for the family is part of being a stay at home parent, but absolutely lol if you think you can keep (most) of your house clean in the first several years of having kids, twins no less

quote:

Tl; DR What I don't like is the idea of being exhausted from a full day at work, having to come through the door to a messy house, no food, and a list of things that need to be done, when my wife has been home all day with the kids.

She probably doesn't like it either, because she didnt have any time/energy to deal with that poo poo! That's something both parents have to deal with, and honestly mom almost certainly works harder than dad at her job of raising twins.

He's maybe not an rear end in a top hat, just a typical idiot man who doesn't understand how demanding caring for young children all day is

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 3, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Preparing food for the family is part of being a stay at home parent, but absolutely lol if you think you can keep (most) of your house clean in the first several years of having kids, twins no less
I've got a 2 year old and a 4 year old. At some point you just let the idea of a tidy house go.

Unless this guy is doing physical labor, the wife has a far more physically demanding job.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is it wrong that I [36M] expect my wife [40F] to cook dinner for us and keep the house clean and tidy if she is a stay at home mom? She says that for me to expect this is unfair, her job of looking after the twins is hard enough.

Yup, YTA. Hire a housekeeper if kid messes bother you that much. Messes are unavoidable at that age and wrangling twins is absolutely a full-time job.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Looking after kids sounds absolutely hellish.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I've got a 2 year old and a 4 year old. At some point you just let the idea of a tidy house go.

Yeah man, same. And I'm a newly single dad working on an engineering degree. So I empathize haha

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All I ask is my wife to sweep all trash onto the floor, then i sweep the floor. It's a good system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leon Einstein posted:

Don't even think about a tidy car, too. Kids are filth wizards.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I get second-hand anxiety when I see someone pushing one of those double strollers with 2 kids in it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LadyPictureShow posted:

Switch places and sink into the ground. rear end in a top hat.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
e: nm

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I have clinically hyperactive twin boys. I deal with it by demanding ridiculously over-the-top resolutions to throwaway lines of /r/relationships posts

Smirking_Serpent posted:

sending me food pics lol.

:murder:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can only imagine what triplets are like. Seems impossible to babysit on your own without at least a sheepdog. No wonder Donald Duck is so cranky.
I remember reading an article where it was laid out with simple math how one person just can't take care of triplets by themsleves. It's just physically impossible, there are not enough hours in a day.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xik posted:

What's the plan when he does what she suggests and spends all his time with the child instead of her? I'm sure having a mother that resents you won't cause any lasting emotional issues.

Who cares, this is about her, not the kid. Why aren't you thinking about her?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait I’ve seen this before. I think the solution is for the wage earner to give his wife a salary and then charge her for rent.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I (28/M) love my wife's (29/F) sister (17/F) as if she was my own but she doesn't show me the same care and affection I give.

quote:

My wife and I have been married for 5 years now, we have a beautiful 2-year-old daughter. We're all Muslims but not strict.

Since we got married, her family (2 sisters, 1 brother) has been my own and I have loved them with all my heart.

Her youngest sister especially since I never had a sister of my own, so every chance I got I would get her gifts of things she likes and wishes, took her places she wanted to see and I was ecstatic to see her happy every time, I plan her birthday gifts months in advance, I would offer her guidance and advice whenever she was lost, more so after my father in law had passed away 18 months ago.

Things changed when she suddenly decided to wear Hijab to veil herself from me. (hijab is primarily to veil women from strangers or any man not related to the first degree)
This decision broke my heart since this means that I have to stop a lot of the things that I used to do like hugging her when she needs it, and generally any physical show of brotherly affection.

Understanding her decision to be more religious, I didn't show I was upset and kept on being supportive and caring although it was now limited to being verbal.

I know she cares about me and loves but to get out of her I have to get her to say it which sometimes feels not genuine.

I don't know if I can keep this up; caring and always trying to make her happy yet I get nothing more than the occasional thank you.
no more does she want to take selfies with me.
no more does she allow me to even pat her when she's down.
the option to even sit with her alone when she's over our home or when we're visiting to talk and such is now out of the question.

I feel like the amount of love and care that I give would be better directed at my daughter and wife.

What drove me to ask for help from you guys was a fight I had with my wife after which she decided to spend the weekend at her mother's place. After I apologized to them all her sister held my mistakes against me and forgot about all the good I did and all the care and love I gave.

Tl;Dr!
I love my wife's sister as if she was my own since I didn't have one, she loves me as her brother.
But now she feels so distant and caring and loving her is not returned in the same way and I feel emotionally drained.
Should I let go of her as my own sister?
Am I unreasonable in needing her to care about me and love me verbally or physically?
Are the emotions that I have too much?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The fact that she even came up with the idea of having a child and abandoning it for her husband to take care of means she should never ever have a kid, ever. They should really just split, he wants children, she doesn't, it's one of those basic irreconcilable differences. Even the couples therapist is pretty much telling them this with his "you should find a solution soon" which is the closest he can do without spelling it out but she's not getting it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

The fact that she even came up with the idea of having a child and abandoning it for her husband to take care of means she should never ever have a kid, ever. They should really just split, he wants children, she doesn't, it's one of those basic irreconcilable differences. Even the couples therapist is pretty much telling them this with his "you should find a solution soon" which is the closest he can do without spelling it out but she's not getting it.

She'll change her mind when the baby comes :haw:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Piell posted:

I (28/M) love my wife's (29/F) sister (17/F) as if she was my own but she doesn't show me the same care and affection I give.

There is a 100% this guy is creepy as gently caress and rubbed his boner on his SIL during the hugs he awkwardly gave her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fallom posted:

Wait I’ve seen this before. I think the solution is for the wage earner to give his wife a salary and then charge her for rent.
I remember one thread from a woman who was a r/redpillwomen regular and then made a thread panicing because she got pregnant and she was in the middle of "salary negotiations" with her husband and in a shocking twist he wanted to pay her something laughable (while making a shitton of money) because that's how much he valued a mother's work and as somebody completely dependant on him she had no bargaining options whatsoever. It was a brutal eye opening experience for her.