Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the game literally had a puzzle based around figuring out what colors mix into what other colors if I wanted to play a goddamn edutainment game I'd boot up my W98 VM and play some Amazon Trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i cant wait for the 5th

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/DQWalk/status/1135397714424786944

and with that Pokemon Goes home for good.

Noted franchise with equal mass appeal to pokemon, Dragon Quest

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Eox posted:

It does in Japan :shrug:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Farecoal posted:

Oh yeah the Torterra forest was crap, both because of what you said, and also because nobody noticed a mountain range growing up from nowhere??

Mewtwo did use "his" mouth to talk when he was taken over by the villain but it didn't bother me

Mewtwo has two voice actors, one male and one female, so in my headcanon they use they/them pronouns and are a genetically and cybernetically enhanced nb friend.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

RatHat posted:

In Episode: Rainbow Rocket are Archie and Maxie supposed to be the versions from RSE? Since they use their old designs, and don't use mega evolution or primal reversion.

all the team leaders from episode rr are from alternate dimensions where the player character in their respective games didn't exist and they managed to complete their plans

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Mewtwo has two voice actors, one male and one female, so in my headcanon they use they/them pronouns and are a genetically and cybernetically enhanced nb friend.

Mewtwo is a Legendary pokemon and thus genderless/undefinable by human standards. All the legends are nb and cool (except the ones with genders and that's cool too)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ada posted:

Mewtwo is a Legendary pokemon and thus genderless/undefinable by human standards. All the legends are nb and cool (except the ones with genders and that's cool too)

It's true

Interestingly in the Mystery Dungeon games many otherwise genderless legendaries have genders. For example in Gates to Infinity Virizion is a girl and Victini is a boy. I assume because they are games in which you are a Pokemon and you can communicate with other Pokemon so they can tell everyone their preferred pronouns. One thing I found neato was that in Gates to Infinity Meloetta changes pronouns depending on which forme they're in.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Eox posted:

That's a good point.

Pokémon has nothing on DQ. It doesn't even have laws regulating when new games can come out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eox posted:

not aware of how popular it is, huh

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It owns, but if I showed someone who's only peripherally aware of video games a picture of Pikachu and a picture of a Slime, they're a lot more likely to recognize their friend Pikachu first.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This person on my VIP list has apparently done 134,963 wonder trades. This has gotta be a bot program right? If she’s had SM since day one that’s 145 trades every single day, which at 2 minutes a trade is almost 5 hours. Not to mention the time needed to actually get all these Pokémon, and she’s not breeding them(at least not in that game).

EDIT: Oh she’s probably just retrading whatever she gets. I guess the only possible goal for this would be Pokedex completion?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 3, 2019

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wonder Trading is an end in itself

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nasgate posted:

Mewtwo never opens its mouth to talk and Ryme city is explicitly set up to not be a normal Pokemon city. Like, I'm not going to say it's a great movie. But at least use valid criticisms like the tension of the torterra forest immediately dissolving itself, meaning it adds nothing to the movie or plot.

I was going to mention the Torterra scene and how it exists to literally make one thing happen, how the lab serves as nothing more than a set piece that would have been no different from an abandoned warehouse, and how Tim's reporter partner friend's only real role in the film is "girl with Psyduck," but I think I made that post at midnight and didn't feel like typing it all out.

Ryme City's look is so out-of-place in the Pokémon universe, and it's generally fine for a one-shot movie thing. However, they're actively trying to tie it into mainline canon, and it is at odds with the Detective Pikachu game. The sequel(?) for Switch is in a weird spot, because Kaiji Tang's DP and Ryan Reynolds's DP are vastly different characters, with the latter being plenty of people's first experience with the character, and because game Ryme City looks like it actually fits with a detective noir motif, while movie Ryme City has a cyber-techno battle arena that would fit in the same universe as the 90s Mario movie.

Like I said, I LOVED the Detective Pikachu film and game, both for different reasons, and I would recommend them both to everyone. I just remember sitting in the theatre at the end of DP and thinking "Yeah, the Sonic movie will be on par with this, and I'm good with that."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

StandardVC10 posted:

Wonder Trading is an end in itself

Wonder trading is the best and if they remove it in G8 I will be writing Mr Nintendo a very strongly worded email

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I can't wait to see the big doggo legendaries for sword and shield

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
SwSh is finally gonna introduce the Legendary jobby.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

everyone in such a rush to point out that dragon quest is Quite Popular Actually they're ignoring that it's still like literally a tenth as big as pokemon, in the pokemon thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope the Pokemon shirts aren't so expensive when they come over here.

I know it's like a custom-made shirt, but it's a loooooooooot.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More additions to my anime stock plots list:
  • A swarm of wild Beedrill get angry and chase Ash and/or Team Rocket. (This even happens in areas where Beedrill isn't in the regional Pokedex.)
  • Ash and the current female companion lose a Tag Battle against a pair of Trainers specializing in Tag Battles due to their Pokemon getting in each others' way, they bicker with each other over it, then they make up. (OK, this only happened twice so far, but it's such a weirdly specific plot to reuse.)
  • The twerps and/or Team Rocket try to help the Character of the Day's weak Pokemon evolve, often by deliberately losing fights against it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't even have laws regulating when new games can come out.

Neither does DQ. That' whole "not on a weekday" thing is an urban legend.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Super No Vacancy posted:

everyone in such a rush to point out that dragon quest is Quite Popular Actually they're ignoring that it's still like literally a tenth as big as pokemon, in the pokemon thread

yeah everywhere I've found corroborates that, in japan, pokemon games still outsell dragon quest games at least four to one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dienes posted:

Neither does DQ. That' whole "not on a weekday" thing is an urban legend.

As far as I know, it's not a law, per se, but it's a thing they at least at one time did voluntarily.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Well, this is the first time in a long time I posted in the megathread. And it's because I'm a goddamned idiotbus.

In Sun this dude I had been trading with had a weird and obviously hax facility. Oh, I wonder what'll that do? Crash the game every time I try to load festival plaza from an unspecified error. Oh, well, that makes sense.
:negative:
I have absolutely no experience with hacking cartridges or systems and coding is Greek to me, but I was wondering for any of y'all in that scene knew if Nintendo has patched the game cartridges or 3ds xl so that, uh, these homebrews and custom firmwares would no longer work? The stuff I'm finding online are from ~3 years ago. Or, even, under extra data management there is a 'Pokemon Sun / Moon" 15 blocks worth of data; would that...? I just need to revert to one save earlier than the autosave for the new facility, or edit that facility so it's something normal.

p.s. gently caress you, Preston :argh: wherever you are

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

E-flat posted:

goddamned idiotbus.

That's the third evolution, in that recent leak

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One thing I'm expecting from Wednesday is the mom reveal.

Wanna see that mom.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't wait to see the big doggo legendaries for sword and shield

Eevee region variants that look like corgi's or riot. (also steel type Eevee)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

E-flat posted:

In Sun this dude I had been trading with had a weird and obviously hax facility. Oh, I wonder what'll that do? Crash the game every time I try to load festival plaza from an unspecified error. Oh, well, that makes sense.
:negative:
I have absolutely no experience with hacking cartridges or systems and coding is Greek to me, but I was wondering for any of y'all in that scene knew if Nintendo has patched the game cartridges or 3ds xl so that, uh, these homebrews and custom firmwares would no longer work? The stuff I'm finding online are from ~3 years ago. Or, even, under extra data management there is a 'Pokemon Sun / Moon" 15 blocks worth of data; would that...? I just need to revert to one save earlier than the autosave for the new facility, or edit that facility so it's something normal.

p.s. gently caress you, Preston :argh: wherever you are

Sorry bud, but unless you can also hack your save and remove the garbage the other guy left in your cart with an editor, you'll either need to restart the whole thing or just not use the Festival Plaza. There's only one save slot, and when it autosaves, it saves on top of it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Waffleman_ posted:

Wanna see that mom.

Microwave as new protagonist confirmed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Wanna see that mom.

It's going to be a dad this time

I'm sorry

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Actually we're going to be Oliver Twist style orphans this time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm sorry

nintendo isnt this brave

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm sorry

Blasphemy! All Champions come into existence by immaculate conception!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Two moms :gaysper:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
two moms, your rival has two dads, you're both the very overly supported and encouraged kids of gay couples who want to be the champion to impress them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pokémon Sword, Shield and Trans Rights.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dias posted:

Pokémon Sword, Shield and Trans Rights.

Pokémon Sword & Sheath.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
All Sylveons are trans.

I mean, that's something of a tautology as all Pokemon are trans. But Sylveon is especially trans

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do now genuinely want a pokemon game where they overcompensate for the lack of a second parent all this time by having your protag being the kid of a stereotypically deeply overly supportive gay couple. It's like how in gen 2 and 3 you had the pokephone and could send money home and all but instead it's being constantly called with check ins to make sure you're drinking water and making friends and telling you they believe in you and poo poo. In the hall of fame montage at the end they're in the background with somehow already made shirts with you and your team on them. Never will there be jokes about absentee poke-parents again. Hire me nintendo, I'll make all your games queer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I kind of liked how you could phone your mom in BW2 and she'd tell you a little about the town you were visiting because she used to work there or whatever.