Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's an Australian car. That's just gravity doing it's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
for the 'gram, bro

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

It can mean either hth

Are you gonna tell me you disagree with www.electrocuted.com?? But seriously, I never knew it could be suitably used in the case of severe electric shock as M-W says, which is dumb since the word was literally invented to describe the first time the electric chair was used for capitol punishment.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

dphi posted:

Are you gonna tell me you disagree with www.electrocuted.com?? But seriously, I never knew it could be suitably used in the case of severe electric shock as M-W says, which is dumb since the word was literally invented to describe the first time the electric chair was used for capitol punishment.

It's one of those words that get used a certain way by so many people that it adopts a different meaning. Electrocution used to mean "killed by electricity" but now it means that or just getting shocked. It's similar to how irregardless is accepted as meaning "regardless" even though that doesn't make any sense and people just got regardless and irrespective jammed together in their heads.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

glynnenstein posted:

It's one of those words that get used a certain way by so many people that it adopts a different meaning. Electrocution used to mean "killed by electricity" but now it means that or just getting shocked. It's similar to how irregardless is accepted as meaning "regardless" even though that doesn't make any sense and people just got regardless and irrespective jammed together in their heads.

Yeah, I figured. 'Zapped' is so much more fun to say, why'd people have to gently caress with 'electrocute'?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

dphi posted:

capital punishment, if we're being picky :eng101:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I saw that and wondered what kind of suicidal motherfucker would ski over that kind of cliff. Turns out it's a recording of the run of the guy who was the first to ski down K2. So it's the kind of guy who doesn't mind a 25% chance of dying as the price of admission.

Professional mountaineering needs an OSHA.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Rape” used to mean “abduction”.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

GotLag posted:

capital punishment, if we're being picky :eng101:

Sorry, I'm going to keep spelling it that way until they change the definition.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

That's probably safer than a glissade on the same slope because it's more controllable. I'd still rather find another route.

As an aside backcountry skiing and snowmobiling are the two winter activities that result in the lion's share of avalanche-related deaths. Both activities take place in avalanche terrain and involve rapid changes in applied weight.

I'll see if I can find some of the avalanche videos that were used in the snow travel class I took a couple of years ago. It's impressive how quickly they start and also how little snow is required to pin you or kill you.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

dphi posted:

Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat for correcting my coworker instead of just turning the thing off :(

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0cujVBV3M

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus christ

quote:

Onbashira has a reputation for being the most dangerous festival in Japan, and it has led to the injury and death of participants. There were fatal incidents in 1980, 1986, 1992,[75] 2010,[75][76] and 2016.[75] In 1992, two men drowned while a log was being pulled across a river.[75] In 2010, two men, Noritoshi Masuzawa, 45, and Kazuya Hirata, 33, died after falling from a height of 10 metres (33 ft) as a tree trunk was being raised on the grounds of the Suwa Grand Shrine. Two other men were injured in the same accident, which organizers say occurred when a guide wire supporting the 17-metre (56 ft) tree gave way.[76] In 2016, one man died falling from a tree as it was being raised at the shrine.[75]

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Make it a water ride and it would've fit right in at Action Park.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

thats some darwin award poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm not disappointed to note the cheese rolling festival in the related videos

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:lol: at you guys never seeing a squirter before.

Clearly you ain't in construction.

https://www.appliedbolting.com/squirters

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nenonen posted:

It's free gas for anyone driving by!

Made me think of the news where there’s a petrol tanker crash and the first thing the nearby inhabitants is start lining up for free buckets of petrol, and then of course there’s a cigarette or other spark and another story to make you go brr gently caress

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Zero One posted:

Guests and employees were being electrocuted at a Universal Orlando water park. Management ignored the complaints. Luckily no one was seriously hurt.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-volcano-bay-update-20190603-px636h2t4zbophqjcajnkzn6h4-story.html

quote:

A Universal lifeguard, who declined to use her name because of fear of losing her job, said she had been told there was a wiring short at the Krakata Aqua Coaster.

quote:

Carlino’s frustrations were from with Universal’s response after she explained what happened to a manager, she said.

“She didn’t believe what we were saying,” Carlino said. “They weren’t taken this seriously.”

You can always spot a graduate of the Dyatlov School of Management

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Jones posted:

You can always spot a graduate of the Dyatlov School of Management

This is unfortunately typical of Universal.

The other major place you see it is Halloween Horror Nights. I've been to a lot of theme park Halloween events and independent haunted attractions and HHN Orlando has the absolute most violent crowds around. I know it's not a Florida thing because Howl-O-Scream in Tampa and all the independent haunts are fine. They also have the most security out of any of them, including metal detectors and airport-style bag scanners. But it's like some switch (probably alcohol-induced) flips in the minds of people there and gives them the idea that they need to start punching everyone.

Violence against the actors is so common that it's considered bizarre if you don't get punched, shoved, or groped in a year's performance. Female actors have quit roles because of the insane harassment they've faced. Even actors who are 6'7 Marine veterans still have much smaller guys decide to take them on.

It might be because it's so easy to get away with because security guards will refuse to pursue anyone more than a few steps, the Orlando cops who are brought in as extra security just stand around texting and chatting instead of watching the crowds, and management will often fire anyone who tries to fight back in self-defense instead of running or curling into the fetal position and covering themselves. Universal has absolutely zero loyalty to any of its employees and knows that all of them are expendable.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i'm the short shorts

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Anyone have that video of a soft-spoken greybeard explaining how the killdozer guy was actually a jerk?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

This is unfortunately typical of Universal.

The other major place you see it is Halloween Horror Nights. I've been to a lot of theme park Halloween events and independent haunted attractions and HHN Orlando has the absolute most violent crowds around. I know it's not a Florida thing because Howl-O-Scream in Tampa and all the independent haunts are fine. They also have the most security out of any of them, including metal detectors and airport-style bag scanners. But it's like some switch (probably alcohol-induced) flips in the minds of people there and gives them the idea that they need to start punching everyone.

Violence against the actors is so common that it's considered bizarre if you don't get punched, shoved, or groped in a year's performance. Female actors have quit roles because of the insane harassment they've faced. Even actors who are 6'7 Marine veterans still have much smaller guys decide to take them on.

It might be because it's so easy to get away with because security guards will refuse to pursue anyone more than a few steps, the Orlando cops who are brought in as extra security just stand around texting and chatting instead of watching the crowds, and management will often fire anyone who tries to fight back in self-defense instead of running or curling into the fetal position and covering themselves. Universal has absolutely zero loyalty to any of its employees and knows that all of them are expendable.

Please tell me there is video of these employees being beaten repeatedly

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reign Of Pain posted:

Please tell me there is video of these employees being beaten repeatedly

Are you wanting to laugh at theme park employees being assaulted or

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Volcott posted:

Anyone have that video of a soft-spoken greybeard explaining how the killdozer guy was actually a jerk?

He's not a greybeard it's donoteat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

You think that's bad you should watch Aggies try to start a fire

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

This is loving excellent. I love his casual delivery and his handle on the material.

Once again proving that goons in full on hive-mind mode are terrible at making character judgements.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can hate the man but love the machine.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kibayasu posted:

I can hate the man but love the machine.

Don't even bother hating the man, we should all aspire to go out in similarly stylized glory

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was hesitant to link it myself since it is a patreon only thing for a goon, but then this happened

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1135947135021715456

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks for that.

Poop really played a much bigger role in the story than the legend suggests.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was hesitant to link it myself since it is a patreon only thing for a goon, but then this happened

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1135947135021715456

Holy loving pro click.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ok, that's actually cool and useful. Gonna smell super interesting once used, but oh man, changing a tire would be so much easier that way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those things only exist so suicidal people can detach the hose from the balloon and feed it into the passenger cabin.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Ok, that's actually cool and useful. Gonna smell super interesting once used, but oh man, changing a tire would be so much easier that way.

Those have been around for a while. Pretty sure they used to sell them mail order via tv ads years ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Other fun and unconventional uses for compression:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Wait. Wait wait wait, the spark plug sits atop the, uh, explody-boom chamber, right? So that line is pumping unexploded, decompressed fuel-air mixture?

That seems hazardous. Should we warn them?