Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hardwired everything that wasn't portable last year and while I haven't noticed a huge performance difference [probably since my ATV is 2 feet from my router] it's nice when troubleshooting to just have one less thing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NofrikinfuN posted:

Can you compare the SteamLink app performance to the physical SteamLink? I bought one for like five bucks, but would gladly shelve it if the app is as good or better.

As long as you can sync a Switch pro controller, that is.

The app on ATV isn't noticeably different.

There is a 1-3ms difference in response time (SteamLink better), and it seems to not attempt to re-render on the Big Picture Mode as much.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

jokes posted:

The app on ATV isn't noticeably different.

There is a 1-3ms difference in response time (SteamLink better), and it seems to not attempt to re-render on the Big Picture Mode as much.

Thanks, it sounds like it would take over nicely. I rarely use the Steam Link anyway because I'm out of HDMI ports, so being able to combine a couple things works out great.

Is there any reason (other than future-proofing) to get an Apple TV 4K if you don't have a 4K TV? Does it perform any better on lower resolutions?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thanks, it sounds like it would take over nicely. I rarely use the Steam Link anyway because I'm out of HDMI ports, so being able to combine a couple things works out great.

Is there any reason (other than future-proofing) to get an Apple TV 4K if you don't have a 4K TV? Does it perform any better on lower resolutions?

I have both (4K in the family room and regular in the home office). The 4K *seems* to launch apps much faster and just feels snappier overall. I do notice the difference when I put on some background something or other in the office. That being said, it’s not enough to be annoying. The 1080p version is perfectly serviceable and should be for some time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I once set up a (very poor) LAN between 2 houses on the same street inadvertently using Powerline adapters :v:

My mantra is anything portable is on wifi, anything static is direct Cat5e/6 where possible and Powerline after that if it works in your environment. You basically have to treat powerline as an unstable wireless connection, in my experience.

There is a lot of variables that make them too difficult to recommend as a sure-fire alternative to WiFi. If you get decent units that dont need to be rebooted all the time and can carry enough throughput to do what you want to do, they are just as good as a cable in the wall. Probably not ideal for running a file server handling huge bandwidth tasks, but fine for streaming media/online gaming/home user file servers.

I had Netcomm 500mbps ones that have long been discontinued but they are definitely the most solid ones I have used out of Edimax, Netgear, D-link and Netcomm. every other brand always lost sync and needed to be power cycled with varying frequency (which, if you have pass-thru capable units, means anything plugged into the pass-thru too).

In my setup, those Netcomms were only hitting 4MB/s peak transfer speed, showing as a green light (which the standard indicates means 'best' signal quality) - that was with the link going between two circuit breakers in the distribution board and maybe a total of 15m of electrical wiring. I used them at my parents house to get a link literally on the opposite side of a wall and even then the speed was not much better.

When I upgraded to a 4K TV and was trying to stream HEVC/h265 rips via plex, it became obvious that the powerline adapters had reached their limit - LONG wait for the playback to actually begin, occasional 10-15sec of buffering. Wifi was better unless a phone or laptop started downloading updates and hogged the wireless bandwidth. Even in my setup the throughput was significantly lower than what you could get on Wifi, but it still only performed slightly worse than wifi. On paper though, you would assume it wasn't going to make the grade at all.

I eventually just ran a single cable under the house to connect the two rooms and Gig-E eliminated any delay in playback, buffering, and seeking through a film was instant.

Age/length of electrical wiring, how the circuits/phases are split up and the units themselves all have varying levels of impact on the performance of powerline setups. Its definitely worth a try if you have a double-brick or concrete walled house that suffers poor wifi range, or in an apartment block with 5000 wireless routers occupying the same 3 channels, but its not a silver bullet. 5ghz, mesh networks and future wireless tech should see powerline adapters becoming less of a thing though, and any new house should have conduits and cabling to every room even if you arent a tech-lord because ultimately your wireless is only ever as good as the backhaul is and those kind of features are only going to add value to a house anyway, especially so if its cheap and easy to upgrade to 10Gig once that becomes mainstream.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There's also MoCA as an option, since many houses are extensively wired with cable jacks but not so much with RJ45. Generally seem to work better than powerline, though they aren't as stable as Ethernet.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Laserface posted:

:words

My mantra is anything portable is on wifi, anything static is direct Cat5e/6 where possible and Powerline after that if it works in your environment. You basically have to treat powerline as an unstable wireless connection, in my experience.

:words:

If you’ve got the cash, the Netgear Orbi’s are 1000% worth it. I bought the router+satellite kit and then another satellite. Each satellite has 4 1Gig ports on the back. Out of curiosity the other day, I turned off WiFi on my MBP and hooked up over Cat6 to the satellite. I was able to get ~600/600 mbps on my gigabit connection.

Basically, the way the Orbi’s work is they setup a WiFi network on whatever channel you specify - e.g. channel 48. Then, it has a whole bunch of extra WiFi radios in it that it uses as the back haul. So it sets up a couple of hidden networks and utilizes the additional WiFi radios as the wireless backhaul.

In general, I’ve gotten really stable 500/500+ mbps performance through the entire house when I do the Cat6->Orbi->Cat6 connection. The WiFi perp itself is great as well - pretty easily hitting 300mbps even at a distance.

All of that was a long blah blah way to say that’s how I made my Apple TV’s perf way faster playing videos off of Plex or any streaming service. The Apple TV is hooked up over wire directly to an Orbi Satellite and now video loads instantly from basically any service.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Depending on the Orbi model you can also utilise one of the Ethernet ports to connect it to a Cat5e/6 backhaul :)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Seconding the recommendation for the Orbi. Recently set it up at my sister's house after their old router was dying. Easy to set up but still has power user functions if you need them. The dedicated wireless backhaul worked flawlessly for the satellite.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kalman posted:

There's also MoCA as an option, since many houses are extensively wired with cable jacks but not so much with RJ45. Generally seem to work better than powerline, though they aren't as stable as Ethernet.

Laserface posted:

Depending on the Orbi model you can also utilise one of the Ethernet ports to connect it to a Cat5e/6 backhaul :)

For the double kill: I have Orbi and use MoCA for backhaul and other wired connections. I have no RJ45 in my mid nineties house but bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters work well enough even for backhaul.

The brownout that fried three of five coax splitter/filters was a very “fun” troubleshooting experience.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Every time I watch a TV episode from iTunes, the video freezes 3-4 minutes from the end of the episode, but the audio continues. The only fix is to back out of the episode and re-open it. Googling shows a few people with the same issue, but no solutions.

My Apple TV is connected by Ethernet and my connection is 150/150. I’ve done a full restore and update. I tried changing DNS servers (from OpenDNS to my ISP). Any other ideas?

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 23, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My AirPlay music struggles for the first five seconds for some reason, seems like there's some really awful code in places like that when they can't just buffer it.

You could try letting your episodes load completely before playing them just to be sure I guess.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Airplay 1 has a hard 2-second latency for syncing/buffering. (Pretty much everything is still Airplay 1.)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I've always found airplay near unusable on wifi, there is too much jitter on crowded wifi, even using airplay 2 to a wired appletv 4k.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Why does the album art flash when I’m AirPlaying from Overcast? :psyduck:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like listening to my Match library on my ATV, but it just seems so lacking. Is there anyway to do either of these things that I just haven’t noticed...

1. View latest things added to my library

2. Use Album Artist not Artist so I don’t have this wild differences between my phone/itunes view and my ATV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
ahhhhhhh ATV user profiles at last.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PS4 controller support - SteamLink app just got more interesting.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Being less stupid about controllers is smart. Who knows if the platform would have taken off earlier if they hadn't been so hard-headed about it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know. (It wouldn't have)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Supporting console controllers is a good thing for them when MS/Sony go all-in on their streaming services as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

not sure how new it is but the swipe down screen for streamed content controls on the iPhone is pretty cool

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 4, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that on the new remote app?

E: remote app doesn’t look any different to me (I thought I read it was updated in a major way not long ago?) so intrigued what you’re referring to.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So before the last update it was possible to search through shows and movies and only include what you can stream. Is that gone now?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

So before the last update it was possible to search through shows and movies and only include what you can stream. Is that gone now?

You can only search what you have or could stream? That would be awesome!

I’ve had an ATV4K for a year and didn’t know that was ever possible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that on the new remote app?

E: remote app doesn’t look any different to me (I thought I read it was updated in a major way not long ago?) so intrigued what you’re referring to.

Swipe down top left on iPhonex

I noticed it didn’t pick up right away when I started playing, only once I swiped down the right side and hit the ATV remove toggle

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll test that shortly on my XR! Neat, especially when I’m watching outside and don’t have a remote to hand.

E: ah by steam do you mean air playing from the phone to the ATV? I can’t trigger this just having something playing.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 4, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did they say if tvOS 13 is coming to the ATV4? Not a big deal if not, but I still have one in my bedroom.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Did they say if tvOS 13 is coming to the ATV4? Not a big deal if not, but I still have one in my bedroom.

There's some speculation that the iPod Touch getting updated to use the A10 indicates that will be the minimum requirement for iOS 13; the ATV4 has an A8. And the tvOS 13 press release only says "Apple TV 4K." So they didn't explicitly say anything about the ATV4 but my guess is that it won't get it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The SE is getting iOS 13.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

There's some speculation that the iPod Touch getting updated to use the A10 indicates that will be the minimum requirement for iOS 13; the ATV4 has an A8. And the tvOS 13 press release only says "Apple TV 4K." So they didn't explicitly say anything about the ATV4 but my guess is that it won't get it.
There's no speculation since they said the 6S and SE are getting iOS 13. But that's a bit of bummer about the ATV4, but not terribly surprising. Not a big deal, but a bit of a bummer.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

There's no speculation since they said the 6S and SE are getting iOS 13. But that's a bit of bummer about the ATV4, but not terribly surprising. Not a big deal, but a bit of a bummer.

Looks like ATV 4 will be getting it.

“tvOS 13 will be available this fall as a free software update for Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.”

From here: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/tvos-13-powers-the-most-personal-cinematic-experience-ever/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yo you guys see this poo poo?

Apple TV and iOS will soon support Xbox One and PS4 controllers 23 Available with new tvOS and iOS 13 updates

I mean why not

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, they need something to play Apple Arcade games with and other than some Steel Series thing, no one has really bothered making MFi controllers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Well, they need something to play Apple Arcade games with and other than some Steel Series thing, no one has really bothered making MFi controllers.

They had a bit of a problem with that in that not only are controllers from game companies better controllers they're also usually cheaper.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There’s nothing the new OS does that the ATV4 should be inadequate for. And they still sell them.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
If you have not yet tried Steam Link, it received an update this week enabling HEVC decoding in the app. The streaming quality is almost flawless over ethernet. I set bandwidth to automatic and its between 40 mb/s and 50 mb/s with less than 30 ms of latency total. I tried some resident evil, hitman and hollow knight and it was excellent.

With the tvOS 13 update, I assume the app will be able to forward your input natively from your xbox controller.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

fivehead posted:

If you have not yet tried Steam Link, it received an update this week enabling HEVC decoding in the app. The streaming quality is almost flawless over ethernet. I set bandwidth to automatic and its between 40 mb/s and 50 mb/s with less than 30 ms of latency total. I tried some resident evil, hitman and hollow knight and it was excellent.

With the tvOS 13 update, I assume the app will be able to forward your input natively from your xbox controller.

Thanks for the heads up but the option is Greyed out in my ATV Hd (non 4K). Does it need hardware from the newer version ?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, HEVC hardware is only on the newer A series chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
It might

Granite Octopus posted:

Thanks for the heads up but the option is Greyed out in my ATV Hd (non 4K). Does it need hardware from the newer version ?

It might be a 4K option. The change log in the App Store just says “Added support for 4K streaming”. This was also the response to my ticket with steam asking about HEVC in general... so it might be an oversight on their part.

Never mind!